Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) I personally will be rooting for the Spurs in their next matchup with Golden State in the Western Conference Finals
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) Congratulations to the Spurs and Coach Pop. They completely destroyed the Rockets last night (understatement of the year)
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 02:55 AM) Very disappointing end to an otherwise great season.
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 01:10 AM) Stunningly bad. Out played, out coached and no one is stepping up :-(
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 01:07 AM) Well, it can't get any worse right?
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 12:35 AM) It's like Dekker has been waiting to play or something.
@  08huangj : (11 May 2017 - 12:08 PM) It is utterly baffling to me why MDA is not utilizing Dekker and Harrell. These two were integral to our dominant regular season bench!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:18 AM) Everything the TNT analysts said, I was screaming during OT. MDA blamed it on fatigue - no kidding sherlock, when you only use a 7 player rotation!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:17 AM) Sorely disappointed with that. Huge missed opportunity. I thought McHale was coaching again in overtime!
@  slick shoes : (10 May 2017 - 03:02 AM) No offensive scheme in overtime. No Parker, and no Leonard through all of overtime and you STILL can't close it out?!
@  thejohnnygold : (10 May 2017 - 02:57 AM) So much profanity in my home tonight...
@  Mario Peña : (08 May 2017 - 06:57 PM) Right Johnnygold! That was a good game!
@  thejohnnygold : (08 May 2017 - 03:41 AM) That's better...
@  08huangj : (06 May 2017 - 03:07 AM) I've noticed that whenever the Toyota Center crowd shout MVP while Harden is shooting free throws, he tends to miss them...
@  slick shoes : (04 May 2017 - 04:08 AM) Well, my previous statement has become null and void. The rest of the Spurs arrived in the series. Parker going down certainly makes things interesting.
@  slick shoes : (03 May 2017 - 09:24 PM) It may also be his lack of scoring options around him at this point. Their offense flows through Kawhi and has seemed a bit one dimensional as of late.
@  Losthief : (03 May 2017 - 08:05 PM) makes u wonder if bzelick (sp?) deduced kawhi's weakness as passing
@  Losthief : (03 May 2017 - 08:05 PM) probably depends on the secondary guys. We were sending everyone at him last game, if the others make plays we might have to adjust. I mean even lebron would have trouble dealing with 3-4 defenders every play.
@  rocketrick : (03 May 2017 - 03:15 PM) Can the Rockets continue to bottle up Kawhi Leonard with their defensive strategy?
@  DenverRocket : (02 May 2017 - 04:44 AM) Everyone still in shock ;) What a performance!

Photo

Do the Rockets need anybody else to win the title?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I was hoping that Houston would add another backcourt player because I do not trust Beverley and Gordon to stay healthy for the remainder of the season. My wish was answered when Morey acquired Lou Williams. I was even more pleased when Morey was able to get rid of Brewer in the Williams trade. I thought that would free up a few minutes for KJ McDaniels. I was then surprised when McDaniels was then traded for cash. I thought the trade left the Rockets a bit thin at SF. I was afraid that if Ariza or Dekker got hurt, that Rockets would be in trouble on the wing.

Looking at this further, the Rockets can play any combination of Beverley, Gordon, and Williams in the backcourt and Harden at SF if Ariza or Dekker are out, so I am not too concerned about the wing play. I am concerned about Nene's ability to stay healthy. If he goes down, there are no big centers that can play against players like ZBo,  the Gasols, Gobert, Favors, LMA, or even Dwayne Dedmon. I think the Rockets should be on the lookout for another big in case the Rockets face the Grizzlies, Jazz, or Spurs.

Rumor has it that the Rockets are interested in Andrew Bogut and Jose Caulderon. I do not like either one on this team. I would be interested in taking a chance on Larry Sanders. I think he would be excellent insurance incase a big goes down. I would not mind adding another wing so that Dekker can back-up Anderson full-time.

Who or what do you feel the Rockets need for a deep playoff run?

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,824 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

I don't know.  I agree that we could use another big body.  Scola just got released  :unsure:  I don't think he gives us what we're looking for.  Sanders, ideally, is exactly what we need.  Lots of question marks there--especially because a few teams have already had a look and passed on him.

I'd be willing to roll the dice on Sanders.  The odds are he barely sees the floor so the risk is low.

On another note, we just signed Isaiah Taylor to a 3 year deal (non-guaranteed).  This makes me very happy.

According to "sources", the Rockets aren't pursuing Bogut.  Says, they want another big or a wing defender.

Matt Barnes is available.  A trio of Beverley, Ariza and Barnes may be able to work next to Harden and whatever center we choose to play.  That's a lot of defense, enough shooting, and the league MVP, of course  B)

Afflalo could be bought out as well by Sacramento.  He can still shoot the 3 pretty well, but I think Barnes brings more defense while still forcing defenses to stay honest (he shoots about 33% from deep).  I would go with Barnes, but we all know how much Houston loves a 39%+ 3pt. shooter.  I think Barnes' rebounding, on-ball defense, and ability to get under the other guys' skin makes him the better choice.

#3 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 86 posts
    • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

I agree about Barnes from a playing perspective - good fit - but I can't see it happening. Didn't he diss Hardens mom last year?

"I could never understand national or ethnic pride, 'cos to me pride should be preserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth!" - George Carlin.

#4 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 86 posts
    • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

Is there still a possibility that Tyson Chandler gets bought out/waived? He's been a DNP-CD since the ASB, looks like the Suns are planning to go with their youngsters (Len/Williams at C, along with Chriss and Bender if he returns) for the remainder of the season.

"I could never understand national or ethnic pride, 'cos to me pride should be preserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth!" - George Carlin.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,824 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

I agree about Barnes from a playing perspective - good fit - but I can't see it happening. Didn't he diss Hardens mom last year?

Whoa, I forgot about this: LINK  <--NSFW

Yeah, kinda hard to come back from that one...

Is there still a possibility that Tyson Chandler gets bought out/waived? He's been a DNP-CD since the ASB, looks like the Suns are planning to go with their youngsters (Len/Williams at C, along with Chriss and Bender if he returns) for the remainder of the season.

I was thinking about this too, but Phoenix keeps repeating how much they like having him around and his contract is huge.  What would the buyout even be?

#6 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 529 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

Any interest in adding Larry Sanders and Tjones?

#7 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 718 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

I'd give Sanders a workout, but as others have stated, he's worked out for other teams who already passed so he's got to be missing something at this point. I also think it's been established that T Jones is not part of our future going forward. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,824 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, I think the TJ ship has sailed.  

#9 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 529 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:17 AM

Yeah, I think the TJ ship has sailed.

I am not talking about a rotational piece. I am just talking about a 12th to 15th man. I wouldn't be opposed to TJ since many of the Rockets have played with him before.

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,824 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

I am not talking about a rotational piece. I am just talking about a 12th to 15th man. I wouldn't be opposed to TJ since many of the Rockets have played with him before.

I hear ya.  I wouldn't throw a tantrum if Morey brought him in.  I just don't think he fits our need and we know that all too well because of all the years we waited for him to figure out defense.  I would rather bring up Onuaku than re-sign Jones.

I'm feeling better and better about our bigs.  I'd swear Nene has been holding back all season after watching him last night.  He was very good for us against Jordan and Griffin--a pairing that has caused us trouble plenty of times.  Capela was pretty good too.  Harrell couldn't find the floor last night.

D'Antoni must have had something in mind for last night.  We played some pretty serious small ball and, even when we should have cleared our bench, Harden and Co. were out there continuing to bomb away.  The way Harden was just coming down the floor and jacking three's down the stretch makes me think D'Antoni said, "No one is coming out until we shoot 50 3's".  We ended with 52 for the game.

We have 4 bigs on the roster (if you count Ryan Anderson--which sometimes I don't).  Morey has got to bring in someone and if he waits too long the slim pickings might be gone entirely.  There must be something seriously wrong with Larry Sanders because a lot of teams could use a guy that does this...

Looks a lot like a Capela highlight video, doesn't it?  Speaking of Capela, I saw him actually show a split second of emotion/excitement last night.  Maybe there is hope for him  :)

#11 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 718 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

There must be something seriously wrong with Larry Sanders because a lot of teams could use a guy that does this...

Looks a lot like a Capela highlight video, doesn't it?  Speaking of Capela, I saw him actually show a split second of emotion/excitement last night.  Maybe there is hope for him  :)

Morey got burnt the last time he took a flyer on a mental health advocate. Remember this guy? I don't blame him for being hesitant. 

img20985827.jpg

#12 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 239 posts
        • LocationIsrael

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

We have 4 bigs on the roster (if you count Ryan Anderson--which sometimes I don't).  Morey has got to bring in someone and if he waits too long the slim pickings might be gone entirely. 

In my opinion before bringing anyone over, there is the question if choosing by your own team or by opponents.

If you go by opponents, then there is a good possibility of meeting Memphis in the first round, with San Antonio as the favourite to be waiting in the second round. Both team have some big bodies (Gasol and Randolph, Gasol and Aldridge), and to counter that you need to bring your own big bodies - someone like Bogut. However, putting a second "traditional" big on the floor along with any of the current centers requires making changes to the offensive plan, and to mess with something that works so well (most of the time...) is a risky experiment.

The other option is to look for someone with skills that fit the system, and can help off the bench. Looking at the current rotation the center position is covered, and since the addition of Williams the 4-guard rotation is possibly the best in the league. The small hole that could be filled is the forwards rotation - after sending away Brewer and McDaniels there are only 3 forwards in the rotation - Ariza, Anderson and Dekker.

Bottom line - adding a fourth forward that fits the system and is capable of playoff contribution off the bench seems to me like the top priority. Not many of these guys out there... I'm a little biased, but I think Casspi has what it takes to blend in nicely, and he played quite well this year when he managed to get on the court. He also already played for the Rockets, although Harden and Beverley are the only two players left from 2013-2014(!). Might be worth waiting the three weeks until he can play again.

Any other names?

#13 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 718 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

In my opinion before bringing anyone over, there is the question if choosing by your own team or by opponents.

If you go by opponents, then there is a good possibility of meeting Memphis in the first round, with San Antonio as the favourite to be waiting in the second round. Both team have some big bodies (Gasol and Randolph, Gasol and Aldridge), and to counter that you need to bring your own big bodies - someone like Bogut. However, putting a second "traditional" big on the floor along with any of the current centers requires making changes to the offensive plan, and to mess with something that works so well (most of the time...) is a risky experiment.

The other option is to look for someone with skills that fit the system, and can help off the bench. Looking at the current rotation the center position is covered, and since the addition of Williams the 4-guard rotation is possibly the best in the league. The small hole that could be filled is the forwards rotation - after sending away Brewer and McDaniels there are only 3 forwards in the rotation - Ariza, Anderson and Dekker.

Bottom line - adding a fourth forward that fits the system and is capable of playoff contribution off the bench seems to me like the top priority. Not many of these guys out there... I'm a little biased, but I think Casspi has what it takes to blend in nicely, and he played quite well this year when he managed to get on the court. He also already played for the Rockets, although Harden and Beverley are the only two players left from 2013-2014(!). Might be worth waiting the three weeks until he can play again.

Any other names?

I wish that we could get consideration from Matt Barnes (Wow, I can't believe I actually wrote that). Solid rotation player, pretty close to a DD average, defense..... He would fill our empty "enforcer" role which can be important in a chippy playoff series. I don't blame him for ring chasing at this point, though. 

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,824 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Morey got burnt the last time he took a flyer on a mental health advocate. Remember this guy? I don't blame him for being hesitant. 

img20985827.jpg

Yeah, we all remember this guy  :rolleyes:

In a way, his ghost may still be haunting us--not in Morey's mind; rather, in the mind of the players who may have empathized with him.  Check out this quote from Sanders 3 days ago:

I would say I worked really hard to get to where I was,” Sanders said. “I worked extremely hard. I started playing basketball when I was 17 years old. Things kind of hit me fast. It was hard to manage. I would say I’m more mature. I’m better. I’m at a higher level. I’m a better basketball player. I’ve taken that time to establish those things and get my family in order — not to say everything’s perfect. I took the time that I needed. To convince someone by words, I don’t know what more I can say. The action’s going to be everything. If a team’s willing to take that risk on me, I’m also taking that risk on them, that they’re going to be able to support me and be in my corner. We’re going to be able to understand each other. I believe there’s a team out there that’s like that, that would love a guy like me in their system

Royce did his best to make the Rockets the bad guys and that quote sure does sound like Sanders agreed with him.  Maybe Sanders isn't interested in us because of how the Royce thing went down?

@Redfaithful--you make a good point.  Bringing Sanders in is insurance against injury more than anything else.

Our forward position is murky.  Harrell can play the 4.  Harden can play the 3.  Can you imagine Harden playing a stretch 4 alongside Williams, Gordon, and Ariza?  We could replace one of them with Bev to help the rebounding.  It would be interesting.

I am sure Morey has Casspi's name sitting on his desk somewhere.  He is an ideal fit for the team in general; yet, I still think we are shopping for more defense than he brings to the table.

Barnes really was ideal, but as was already noted, he went after James' mom and, well, that's not gonna work for our stellar team chemistry.  He, Draymond, and Pachulia are going to make things interesting come playoff time as each has a way of pissing off other players.

#15 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:01 PM

I don't really know how to answer this question.  Like someone said above, if you add a traditional '4' man, that messes with your offensive sets.  Its more important to keep the floor spread at all times rather than to just have someone out there to get a few extra boards.  The Tyson Chandler suggestion is one that has been on my mind.  Is there any way that could even work with the remaining years left on that deal?  There's probably no way, right?

I think ideally, you want a big '5' who can play spot minutes when Nene doesn't have it and Capela or Harrell are being bullied around.  Bogut would've fit that.  Chandler fits that.

#16 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 529 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

No joke. How about Josh Smith after the Chinese season ends?

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,824 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

I think we all get the need, and benefit, of floor spacing.  Ilyasova would have been a great pick up in that vein.  It cost Atlanta Splitter and 2 2nd rounders to get him...

The reality is we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.  Look at the list of available centers from Hoopshype.  It's short so I will just type it out: Chris Kaman, Kendrick Perkins, Walter Tavares, and Nazr Mohammed.  That's it.  I'm not even sure some of those guys want to play let alone are still capable of producing anything.

Sanders is it.  After him it's Onuaku.  There isn't anything left. 

#18 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 718 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

The Cavs have picked up Sanders. I am curious to see what he adds to the roster. He is rumored to be very slim and rusty. 

#19 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 239 posts
            • LocationIsrael

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

Things looking different now - the only two seeds that seem certain are 3-4 for Rockets & Jazz, all other teams are within 1 or 2 games up or down. Clippers could very well slip to no. 6...

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,824 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Things looking different now - the only two seeds that seem certain are 3-4 for Rockets & Jazz, all other teams are within 1 or 2 games up or down. Clippers could very well slip to no. 6...

Yup...Clips could wind up as a 7 seed...especially if Blake Griffin continues to forget he is good at basketball.  I am very excited about a potential GS/Denver first round match up.  Denver can punish them inside and has enough wings to defend GS's small ball.  GS took the first two games they played, but then they unleashed Jokic who posted a 17/21/12 triple double on them.  In fact, they destroyed them on the glass with two other players snagging 10 rebounds for a combined 52-27 rebounding advantage.  Is it possible the 1 & 2 seeds are tanking to avoid Denver in round 1?  I would.  Denver or Memphis....Memphis, please.  Denver or the Clippers?  I don't know...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users