Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  DenverRocket : (05 April 2017 - 07:15 PM) Give me a shout and if I'm around, I'll be happy to honor my commitment!
@  slick shoes : (05 April 2017 - 06:34 PM) I'll be in Denver Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend ;)
@  DenverRocket : (05 April 2017 - 04:52 PM) Oh and congrats to @SlickShoes on winning the bracket challenge handily :) If I ever meet you, I'll buy you a beer!
@  DenverRocket : (04 April 2017 - 06:23 PM) Worth a read, Who's The Best Bargain in the NBA: http://www.espn.com/...nd-best-bargain
@  thejohnnygold : (31 March 2017 - 04:19 PM) Probably...mine's toast.
@  slick shoes : (31 March 2017 - 02:12 PM) Is it safe to assume I have taken the bracket challenge??
@  thejohnnygold : (15 March 2017 - 12:58 PM) I'm in!
@  DenverRocket : (15 March 2017 - 02:12 AM) You can join my not knowing anything club! :-)
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2017 - 01:34 AM) I filled one out. I don't know anything about college ball so everything was gut feel. wish me luck!
@  DenverRocket : (15 March 2017 - 12:06 AM) If anyone is interested in joining a Red94 bracket challenge, I've set one up here: http://games.espn.co...groupID=1517203
@  slick shoes : (14 March 2017 - 02:48 PM) As much fun as it is to watch the Warriors lose, I'm gonna need them to go ahead and take 1st place again so that we can potentially avoid them until the WCF.
@  SadLakerFan : (13 March 2017 - 02:24 PM) My Lakers coming into town. Hope Bev can cover our SG of the future David Nwaba. He's lighting it up.
@  thejohnnygold : (08 March 2017 - 11:24 PM) I'm not really finding much info on it. We'll see if it persists or was just one of those things that happens in competition sometimes.
@  slick shoes : (07 March 2017 - 06:00 PM) Interesting to see that Dwight is having some of the same issues in Atlanta that he had here.
@  thejohnnygold : (27 February 2017 - 05:43 AM) I don't think this is all or nothing. We've still got some defensive issues to deal with, but this team can give anyone a run for their money.
@  slick shoes : (26 February 2017 - 11:38 PM) i just hope to legitimately compete for the title. winning is only a bonus.
@  rocketrick : (26 February 2017 - 06:19 PM) All the moaning and groaning will suddenly appear should the Rockets fail to win the Title this season. It is What It Is........
@  thejohnnygold : (26 February 2017 - 03:25 PM) Anybody else watching the new and improved Rockets? Looking good so far...
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 09:17 PM) PG was reported to be dealt today by the deadline, but wouldn't commit to sign long term with ANY team other than the... Lakers?
@  slick shoes : (23 February 2017 - 09:10 PM) Tyler Ennis to the Lakers. Looks to be a good working relationship between Magic and Morey.

Photo

The Houston Rockets' war chest explained - Part 1

25 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

New post: The Houston Rockets' war chest explained - Part 1
    By: Rahat Huq

The Rockets currently own their own first round draft pick, Denver's second round pick, Portland's second round pick, and owe the Knicks their own second round pick.  Thus, based on the current standings, were the draft to be held today, the Rockets would be picking 27th, 43rd (via Portland), and 44th (via Denver).

I think it's a safe bet that Daryl Morey will deal at least one of those three picks at the deadline.  I cannot see Houston wanting to carry three rookies heading into next year in a season which will, if all else holds steady, carry huge expectations.  They possibly might even prefer to deal the first rounder and keep the two second rounders due to salary cap implications.  That would depend on Morey's opinion on the depth of this draft.  Regardless, the existence of the two second round picks would surely make Morey more agreeable to deal the first round pick.

As an aside: its rather odd that the actuality of NBA trades has not yet caught up to the basketball commentariat's assessment of how things work.  The conventional wisdom today is that first round picks are overvalued, yet every trade leak reflects demands of "a first rounder".  Similarly, post hoc analysis almost always involves the rationale that if a first round draft pick was procured, the net gain was a positive.  Odd.

#2 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:18 AM

New post: The Houston Rockets' war chest explained - Part 2
      By: Rahat Huq

https://twitter.com/fyrebear/status/829685934534881280

I wrote this morning about the draft picks owned by the Rockets this summer, in response to which the reader above pointed out the draft-and-stash option in the event that Houston retains all three selections.  I agree that barring a trade, such a route will be the likely course of action.

Any major deal would almost certainly include Corey Brewer, not only because he is largely dispensable in relation to his teammates, but primarily due to his price tag.  On the books for $7,612,172 this season, Brewer is the trade chip that will allow the Rockets to bring back major salary for salary matching purposes.  A potential obstacle could be, however, the $7,579,366 still owed to Brewer next season.  For instance, if the Magic found Houston's young assets enticing enough to part with Serge Ibaka, would they balk at having Brewer on the books for another year?  The thinking there might be that even if losing Ibaka in the summer, having a clean cap sheet could be preferable to the Magic, even if getting back other assets.

Tyler Ennis' entire existence on this roster is predicated upon the $1,733,880 he is owed this season.  Were it not for that figure, he already would have been cut in favor of a more deserving young man.

And then there are Montrezl Harrell and K.J. McDaniels, the actual sweeteners to a potential deal, draft picks notwithstanding.  Harrell is on the books this year at $1,045,000 and $1,090,000 next season; McDaniels is due $3,333,333 this year, and $3,476,874 next year, but with a team option.  Harrell is real value, even if a product of this system, leading the league in points per possession, as I highlighted earlier in the week.  He can help a team immediately, and on the cheap, to the point where I would be reluctant to give him up except for an impact player.  McDaniels is a different case.  He has floundered now under two Houston coaches after being completely given up on by a franchise that wasn't even trying to win.  How is he perceived by NBA GM's?  If even Mike D'Antoni, the greatest innovator in the league could not untap his potential, will anyone else be willing to try?  At the least though, McDaniels does not carry negative value.

Sam Dekker and Clint Capela are untouchable unless if presented with the type of deal that will not be available.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,797 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

I do agree that Brewer's contract does not become trade-worthy until he is on his last year.  That doesn't mean it won't happen, but if it does there will likely be some confused head-scratching.  He has settled into a nice little role for us and I am content to keep him at least until the Summer.

I'm really hoping that Isaiah Taylor can replace Ennis for us next season.  Maybe I'm just a Longhorn homer...

I am most surprised to read that Dekker is (essentially) untouchable, but Harrell is on the table.  I am so high on Harrell right now.  I have this vision of a fusion between Jae Crowder and Kenneth Faried.  A dunking machine that can defend 4 positions on the floor and knocks down open 3's (we're getting there).  Plus, he actually has some post moves and mid-range to boot.  Double plus, he's got that infectious high motor crazy thing like P-Bev does that gets the whole team going.

I think we would feel exactly how Mavs fans feel right about now watching Crowder and the Celtics happily marching along because the Mavs made a move to add that one extra piece named Rondo.  The Mavs did exactly what is being discussed all over Rockets boards these days and imploded their season.

They were 19-8 and rolling along.  They had recently signed a "stud" SG (Ellis) who had fallen by the wayside and a floor-stretching forward that would help power the offense (Parsons).  Sound familiar?

Then Mark Cuban got smart and shipped out Crowder, Jameer Nelson, Brandan Wright, and both of his 2016 draft picks for Rajon Rondo.  The Mavs finished 50-32 (7th in the West), were quickly dispatched by our very own Rockets in the 1st round, and Rondo left town.  Meanwhile, Crowder has improved every single season and is one of the elite 3&D wings in the league.  

I realize my view is entirely speculative.  I truly believe that sometime next season it's going to click for him.  Given that he's already contributing in a solid way that is good news for us.

I get why Ibaka makes sense on paper.  I don't think he alters our trajectory for the season--which is a deal breaker for me when considering giving up a guy like Harrell (who just turned 23).

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,597 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

^That's an interesting comparison.  Your take on Harrell might be the correct one.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,797 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:05 AM

^That's an interesting comparison.  Your take on Harrell might be the correct one.

I hope so.

To me, all signs point to the reality that Morey has hit on all 3 of Capela, Harrell, and Dekker.  On top of that, we have the luxury of sitting on Isaiah Taylor, Zhou Qi, Chinanu Onuaku, Kyle Wiltjer, and Alessandro Gentile.  I have no idea if any of this group will make it, but I know that Taylor can score, Wiltjer can shoot from distance, and Onuaku can rebound.  In the NBA, one elite skill can get you on a roster.

Back to the first three.  Capela may be at the head of the class right now, but I believe he will wind up being the weakest of the the 3 overall--which is not to imply that he is bad in any way.  I have already gushed about Harrell, but Dekker deserves praise too.  He has shown what his future can be.

He is the opposite of the players with one elite skill.  He is the "jack of all trades, master of none" player.  It seems like 3-4 times a game he comes up short on making a great play, but it was always the right play to make.  I think he is adjusting to this level of speed and athleticism in both the individual players and the game as a whole.  Still, it is clear he has the mind and the body to succeed in this league.  He'll get there.

He gets to be Harrison Barnes.  4th or 5th option on a very good team.  He has the luxury of developing slowly.  If I have any concerns about him it is his ft% (59%).  I have faith the Rockets staff can get him up to respectable, but it is odd and troubling to me.

All in all, I rank them in this order: Harrell, Dekker, and then Capela.  I may be dead wrong about Capela, but I kind of feel like he is pretty close to his ceiling already while the other two still have tons of room to get better.  

#6 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,597 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:03 PM

I thought Capela would have progressed a lot more than he did, right before the injury.  

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,797 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

I thought Capela would have progressed a lot more than he did, right before the injury.  

He's got a lot of raw talent (which is what they said when we drafted him).  We see the footwork, the soft hands, the deft touch around the rim, the quick elevation, the length--all of it.  His defensive metrics are solid; yet, I don't envision him becoming a game-changing center the way Motumbo, Ben Wallace, or other offensively limited centers were.

There is also the issue of his playing time.  In 42 games he has only hit the 30 minute mark 7 times and only exceeded 31 minutes twice.  My initial thought was foul trouble, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Is it conditioning?  The guy is 22 years old!

His free throw shooting is likely to remain an issue--something I have grown tired of after 3 years with Dwight.

What this all says to me is that a day will come when we are looking to upgrade the team and I think that will be the spot we look at.  Zhou Qi is probably what Morey is banking on.  He brings most of the same qualities as Capela with a complete offensive skill set.  I wish there was more access to Chinese basketball...

According to RealGM.com, Qi is putting up 16 pts and 10 rebounds in 32 mpg on 59% shooting and 36% from deep.  He is also getting a steal and 2+ blocks per game.  He shoots 71% on ft's.  His TS% is a Korver-esque .648 (and is the lowest of his 3 year CBA career!)

Outside of the Olympics, I only found one recent video of Qi and it's not that great as he is playing against an under-sized team.

There is real concern about his body mass, but other than that I like his potential.  I believe he can join the team next year so we'll get a good look at him in the pre-season.  

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,597 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

The biggest disappointment with Capela in my opinion are the stamina issues.  He was down to around 21 minutes a game right before the injury, if I recall correctly.  

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,797 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

The biggest disappointment with Capela in my opinion are the stamina issues.  He was down to around 21 minutes a game right before the injury, if I recall correctly.  

Yeah, that's about right.  His minutes seemed to be trending up some from there; yet, he played just 16 minutes last night.

Since Capela has come back from injury we are 8-7.  While he was out we were 11-4.  Now, that has a lot to do with quality of competition, but it is something to note moving forward.  It was Harrell who stepped up during that nice 11-4 stretch.  I'm just sayin'.... ;)

I am always baffled at these young guys with stamina issues.  I get that he's "big", but it's not like he is trucking around a ton of extra weight.  The guy should be running circles around opposing bigs and, in so doing, exhausting them.

This is entirely my own, subjective, unfounded, biased opinion, buuuuuut I just don't think he has much competitive fire in him.  Often, it seems like he's just out there.  Doing stuff.  Jump.  Dunk.  Jump.  Block.  Jump.  Rebound.  Get Fouled.  Miss free throw.  Jump.  Get tired.  Sit down.

There is stoic and then there is I-am-tall-and-I'm-not-sure-what-else-to-do-with-my-life-might-as-well-make-millions-doing-this.  I like a little fire in my players.  Not DeMarcus/Draymond fire, but I'd like to think you are invested in what's going on out there.  Would Clint still be out there if no one was getting paid?  I'm not sure.  Harden?  Bev?  Ariza?  Harrell?  Brewer?  KJ?  No doubt.  

That's the thing.  In my mind, a competitor wants to be out there.  Those bad free throws?  Fixed.  Why?  Because I hate losing and I hate not playing even more.  Bad stamina?  Fixed!  See previous reasons.  When these things persist I believe it points to bigger things.  He can't claim he's uncoordinated because we've seen the hands and feet...they work.

Which brings me back to Harrell and more of why I am all aboard that train.  The guy has all the heart and fire you can cram into that body and it is framed with the discipline to harness that energy to make himself better.  He'll always be a role player, but he can be a very high-caliber one.

Harrell and Capela are roughly 110 days apart in age and 2 inches apart in height.  Their weight is about equal.  Capela has about 50 more games under his belt and 1,300 more minutes played.  I'd be willing to wager that by the time Harrell gets those 1,300 minutes most people would agree he has surpassed Capela.  I'd say around Christmas next season.   :)

#10 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 777 posts
            • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

Gallinari for Brewer, Capela and McDaniels, who says no? Denver, right? Maybe we can send a first rounder their way, would that do the trick?

chandler for Brewer and Capela. I like Gallo better, but he is clearly injury prone (both are, but Gallo is more fragile). Maybe not having to carry the load of the world would improve his availability just like it has so far with Gordon and Anderson (knock on wood). We need wing depth and both trades would open up playing time for Harrell, while accounting for those minutes that D'Antoni plays Anderson as a stretch 5.

Both trades are succesful in the trade machine (not sure how to paste the page without it going back to square one)

#11 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 523 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, that's about right. His minutes seemed to be trending up some from there; yet, he played just 16 minutes last night.

Since Capela has come back from injury we are 8-7. While he was out we were 11-4. Now, that has a lot to do with quality of competition, but it is something to note moving forward. It was Harrell who stepped up during that nice 11-4 stretch. I'm just sayin'.... ;)

I am always baffled at these young guys with stamina issues. I get that he's "big", but it's not like he is trucking around a ton of extra weight. The guy should be running circles around opposing bigs and, in so doing, exhausting them.

This is entirely my own, subjective, unfounded, biased opinion, buuuuuut I just don't think he has much competitive fire in him. Often, it seems like he's just out there. Doing stuff. Jump. Dunk. Jump. Block. Jump. Rebound. Get Fouled. Miss free throw. Jump. Get tired. Sit down.

There is stoic and then there is I-am-tall-and-I'm-not-sure-what-else-to-do-with-my-life-might-as-well-make-millions-doing-this. I like a little fire in my players. Not DeMarcus/Draymond fire, but I'd like to think you are invested in what's going on out there. Would Clint still be out there if no one was getting paid? I'm not sure. Harden? Bev? Ariza? Harrell? Brewer? KJ? No doubt.

That's the thing. In my mind, a competitor wants to be out there. Those bad free throws? Fixed. Why? Because I hate losing and I hate not playing even more. Bad stamina? Fixed! See previous reasons. When these things persist I believe it points to bigger things. He can't claim he's uncoordinated because we've seen the hands and feet...they work.

Which brings me back to Harrell and more of why I am all aboard that train. The guy has all the heart and fire you can cram into that body and it is framed with the discipline to harness that energy to make himself better. He'll always be a role player, but he can be a very high-caliber one.

Harrell and Capela are roughly 110 days apart in age and 2 inches apart in height. Their weight is about equal. Capela has about 50 more games under his belt and 1,300 more minutes played. I'd be willing to wager that by the time Harrell gets those 1,300 minutes most people would agree he has surpassed Capela. I'd say around Christmas next season. :)

D' Antoni was asked about Capela's minutes prior to Capela's injury. D'Antoni said he burns out after20 minutes. He did not say if that is because Capela was out of shape or because he does not know how to pace himself yet. I think he needs more time. He has not played basketball his whole life, so I think he is still what it takes to play. I wouldn't question his competitive side yet.
              On trez, I love they way he plays. I just do not like him playing the 5 position. His defensive rebounding % is not good and I think that is because of his size disadvantage. If he can stretch is game out to the 3 point line, then I think you can play him at the 4. At that point, his rebounding % will go up and defensively, this team will be better.

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,797 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

Gallinari for Brewer, Capela and McDaniels, who says no? Denver, right? Maybe we can send a first rounder their way, would that do the trick?

chandler for Brewer and Capela. I like Gallo better, but he is clearly injury prone (both are, but Gallo is more fragile). Maybe not having to carry the load of the world would improve his availability just like it has so far with Gordon and Anderson (knock on wood). We need wing depth and both trades would open up playing time for Harrell, while accounting for those minutes that D'Antoni plays Anderson as a stretch 5.

Both trades are succesful in the trade machine (not sure how to paste the page without it going back to square one)

Yeah, Gallo is ideal for this team, but his injury history scares me too.  Making him a super-sub and limiting him to 20-25 mpg might maximize his health and value to the team.

I like Chandler and Will Barton as well.  I'm not sure Denver does that deal for either of them though.

D' Antoni was asked about Capela's minutes prior to Capela's injury. D'Antoni said he burns out after20 minutes. He did not say if that is because Capela was out of shape or because he does not know how to pace himself yet. I think he needs more time. He has not played basketball his whole life, so I think he is still what it takes to play. I wouldn't question his competitive side yet.
              On trez, I love they way he plays. I just do not like him playing the 5 position. His defensive rebounding % is not good and I think that is because of his size disadvantage. If he can stretch is game out to the 3 point line, then I think you can play him at the 4. At that point, his rebounding % will go up and defensively, this team will be better.

You are right that it is early still on Capela and I admit that my opinion on him is not worth much.  I've certainly been wrong before  ;)

I agree with you on Trez.  I don't have him penciled in as our starting center of the future; although, I am fine with him logging some minutes at the position.  My hopes is we are force feeding Zhou Qi HGH over in China and he can be our center of the future.  Have you seen him take one dribble from the 3 point line and get all the way to the rim while getting around his defender?  (I forget which highlight film i saw it in, but it happened)  There's maybe 2 other dudes in the league pulling that off: Durant and Antetokounmpo (who just pulled off a near Dr. J free throw line dunk and made it look like he was barely trying).  I'm not sure if Porzingis or Embiid can do it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Seriously.  Watch that again.  He takes one dribble starting at half court and then dunks it.   :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink: ....and he's still getting better....

Taken 15th in the 2013 draft....which leaves 14 teams wondering why they took any of the players ahead of him (even CJ McCollum)

Just for fun, we would have had the 12th pick in that draft had we not traded it for Harden...so maybe our fortunes wouldn't be as bad as we think had Harden stayed in OKC... B)

#13 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 703 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:24 PM

There's maybe 2 other dudes in the league pulling that off: Durant and Antetokounmpo (who just pulled off a near Dr. J free throw line dunk and made it look like he was barely trying).  I'm not sure if Porzingis or Embiid can do it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Seriously.  Watch that again.  He takes one dribble starting at half court and then dunks it.   :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink: ....and he's still getting better....

60653228.jpg

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#14 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

Yeah, that's about right.  His minutes seemed to be trending up some from there; yet, he played just 16 minutes last night.

Since Capela has come back from injury we are 8-7.  While he was out we were 11-4.  Now, that has a lot to do with quality of competition, but it is something to note moving forward.  It was Harrell who stepped up during that nice 11-4 stretch.  I'm just sayin'.... ;)

I am always baffled at these young guys with stamina issues.  I get that he's "big", but it's not like he is trucking around a ton of extra weight.  The guy should be running circles around opposing bigs and, in so doing, exhausting them.

This is entirely my own, subjective, unfounded, biased opinion, buuuuuut I just don't think he has much competitive fire in him.  Often, it seems like he's just out there.  Doing stuff.  Jump.  Dunk.  Jump.  Block.  Jump.  Rebound.  Get Fouled.  Miss free throw.  Jump.  Get tired.  Sit down.

There is stoic and then there is I-am-tall-and-I'm-not-sure-what-else-to-do-with-my-life-might-as-well-make-millions-doing-this.  I like a little fire in my players.  Not DeMarcus/Draymond fire, but I'd like to think you are invested in what's going on out there.  Would Clint still be out there if no one was getting paid?  I'm not sure.  Harden?  Bev?  Ariza?  Harrell?  Brewer?  KJ?  No doubt.  

That's the thing.  In my mind, a competitor wants to be out there.  Those bad free throws?  Fixed.  Why?  Because I hate losing and I hate not playing even more.  Bad stamina?  Fixed!  See previous reasons.  When these things persist I believe it points to bigger things.  He can't claim he's uncoordinated because we've seen the hands and feet...they work.

Which brings me back to Harrell and more of why I am all aboard that train.  The guy has all the heart and fire you can cram into that body and it is framed with the discipline to harness that energy to make himself better.  He'll always be a role player, but he can be a very high-caliber one.

Harrell and Capela are roughly 110 days apart in age and 2 inches apart in height.  Their weight is about equal.  Capela has about 50 more games under his belt and 1,300 more minutes played.  I'd be willing to wager that by the time Harrell gets those 1,300 minutes most people would agree he has surpassed Capela.  I'd say around Christmas next season.   :)

By all accounts, even dating back to McHale, one of Capela's best traits is his work ethic.  It might just be a physical issue.

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,797 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

By all accounts, even dating back to McHale, one of Capela's best traits is his work ethic.  It might just be a physical issue.

To me those are different things.  I'm not questioning whether he works hard.  I'm wondering how much the game matters to him.  Hopefully, it does and he can improve on those things.

#16 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

To me those are different things.  I'm not questioning whether he works hard.  I'm wondering how much the game matters to him.  Hopefully, it does and he can improve on those things.

If the game didn't matter to him, why would he work hard?  I'm just struggling to understand how you deduced that the game doesn't matter to him when all accounts rave about his work ethic.  

#17 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,315 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

I still think theres a more than decent chance Capela becomes a solid starter. It'd be nice to get an upgrade on the wing but I would be wary of trading anything more than our pick this year and whatever salary filler.

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,797 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:19 AM

If the game didn't matter to him, why would he work hard?  I'm just struggling to understand how you deduced that the game doesn't matter to him when all accounts rave about his work ethic.  

As I said, it is from watching him play.  I don't see a guy who is passionate about the game itself.  As far as work ethic goes...I can be a hard worker for an employer who is paying me to work hard without giving a hoot about what I am doing.  For instance, I worked at a coffee shop for 6 years.  Hardest worker there by far and best at the job to boot.  Not passionate about it.  Not even a little.

I would say he works hard because he is getting paid to.  That's being an adult.  I'd say it means his parents raised him well.  It doesn't mean he LOVES the game.  I don't see that when he plays.

It's just a perception thing.  I need to see something more from him.  Again, I'm not saying he is bad in any way.  I just think he is going to be surpassed by others and will be replaced sooner than later.  Eh, I'm wrong all the time so I am most likely wrong here too  :lol:

#19 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                    • 1,597 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

I see.  

It would be interesting if they sold high on him right now while the rest of the league isn't completely aware of this stamina issue.  If its really the case that he won't be able to play more than 20 minutes - and we have no way of knowing that - I would definitely deal him.  I'd argue that stamina can be built up, but then, why has it not yet been built up?  

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 4,797 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

I see.  

It would be interesting if they sold high on him right now while the rest of the league isn't completely aware of this stamina issue.  If its really the case that he won't be able to play more than 20 minutes - and we have no way of knowing that - I would definitely deal him.  I'd argue that stamina can be built up, but then, why has it not yet been built up?  

I agree with you on the stamina issue.  How is that an issue at all?

The problem with moving Capela is his skills are necessary for this team.  We need a nimble, leaping alley-oop machine on offense and a center that can cover ground quickly on defense.  Capela makes life easier for Harden on both ends of the court.  Who has a player with that skill set sitting around and they want to swap them for Capela?

I think this is something we will look hard at addressing over the Summer.  Who knows?  Maybe Capela gets in shape this Summer, decides basketball is fun, and turns into the guy we need him to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users