Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (29 August 2016 - 11:42 AM) At some point they've got to start trading SOME of these picks for veteran players...
@  thejohnnygold : (26 August 2016 - 10:03 PM) Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Kendall Marshall than 2 2nd rounders.
@  slick shoes : (26 August 2016 - 08:30 PM) the 76's trade for another center? im assuming they were really after the two 2nd rounders...
@  thejohnnygold : (07 August 2016 - 07:16 PM) Nope, but there is some raw talent to work with there. He is years away...
@  majik19 : (06 August 2016 - 11:53 PM) well it doesn't look like Zhou Qi is NBA-ready
@  thejohnnygold : (25 July 2016 - 04:26 PM) I think I am going to like Bobby Brown...that is within the confines of our current strategy which is score, score, SCORE!
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2016 - 08:02 PM) The "super team" Knicks? lol
@  thejohnnygold : (22 July 2016 - 06:05 PM) On Josh Smith...my guess is the Knicks eventually sign him.
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 04:29 PM) The Jet has been released. Josh Smith will likely play for another team next season. Maybe he teams up with Dwight in ATL?
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 12:17 PM) Harden is now sending hitmen after Rockets legends' sons for badmouthing him on social media *facepalm*
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2016 - 02:22 PM) If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 "The Guru of Go", I recommend it before the upcoming season.
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 07:20 PM) Yea I know, but there were reports both sides were willing to have a reunion before Chicago signed him. So at the time, Canaan was an option, and a better one than Pablo at that. We should've capitalized on that one, especially with how well he fits the system for obvious reasons + age on his side.
@  thejohnnygold : (14 July 2016 - 03:43 PM) Canaan signed with Chicago already
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 03:24 PM) Don't love the Prigioni move. Thought for sure we had better options like bringing Canaan back or getting someone like Shane Larkin
@  DenverRocket : (14 July 2016 - 04:36 AM) Apparently signed Prigioni to a one-year contract (veteran minimum) with a team option for a second season.
@  slick shoes : (13 July 2016 - 08:38 PM) Chris Finch is out as an assistant. Bummer.
@  slick shoes : (11 July 2016 - 03:32 PM) Shame to lose Glove Jr. before the close of Summer League. Would have liked to see him get some court time.
@  Mario Peña : (09 July 2016 - 11:21 PM) I'm going to tentatively say I'm glad this is happening. I believe James is a top 5 player with all the tools to have a great year but this team needs an all star/glue guy/leader type and then maybe the magic can happen.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 July 2016 - 09:53 PM) If he plays defense I'll be fine
@  DenverRocket : (09 July 2016 - 07:51 PM) Bad news for the anti-Harden brigade, he's just signed a 4yr extension ($118m)

Photo

Free Agent Madness

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Craziest Contract so Far? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Craziest Contract so far>

1. Bradley Beal, Max 130 mil/5 year - Wizards (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Timofey Mozgov, 64 mil/4 year - Lakers (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Joakim Noah, 72 mil/4 year - Knicks (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Chandler Parsons, Max - Blazers or Grizzlies (it appears, unsigned) (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

Also, why the heck did Lin settle for 3 year/36 million from the Nets? The Nets should have had to way overpay him. Clearly he has no interest in winning championships. Definitely don't want a guy like that on our team.

Thoughts on Kent Bazemore? He'd basically be an Ariza upgrade... but costing like 12 mil more - per year!

Personally, I chose the Mozgov contract - he didn't do hardly anything last year, and the Lakers throw a bunch of money at him like he's a "missing piece." I know they needed a rim protector, but he was basically unplayable last year. He also cuts into their 2017 cap space when they're dreaming of Westbrook and another star. 

#2 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 593 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

Also, why the heck did Lin settle for 3 year/36 million from the Nets? The Nets should have had to way overpay him. Clearly he has no interest in winning championships. Definitely don't want a guy like that on our team.

Thoughts on Kent Bazemore? He'd basically be an Ariza upgrade... but costing like 12 mil more - per year!

Personally, I chose the Mozgov contract - he didn't do hardly anything last year, and the Lakers throw a bunch of money at him like he's a "missing piece." I know they needed a rim protector, but he was basically unplayable last year. He also cuts into their 2017 cap space when they're dreaming of Westbrook and another star. 

It was hard for me to choose between Mozgov and Parsons at the max. I'm not seeing what he did in Dallas to increase his value. The Blazers have plenty of outside offense with Lillard and McCollum so I'm not sure why they want him at a max deal. The Griz makes sense because they have little to no offense outside of Gasol or Randolph but again he is a role player at best.  

EDIT: I think Lin was looking for a team where he was the lock for starting guard. He also stated that he was looking for a place to call home and he's played in NYC before and has family there. Could have had a large part in his decision. 

Edited by slick shoes, 01 July 2016 - 04:33 PM.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#3 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

Mozgov deal is pretty high. I would rather trade for Tyson Chandler than pay Mozgov that much. Lin numbers last year
      are the same numbers he had the year he left Houston. He claims a coach helped him in Charlotte. The Augustin signing
      burns me. Big game hunting always costs the Rockets on guys like D.J..

With Denver last season: 23 min/gm, 45.5 FG%, 41.1 3P%, 81.9 FT%, 4.7 Ast, 11.6 Pts. More than enough to help the Rockets
      with slightly better defense than Lin. Curious to see who got more Lin or Augustin.

I hope Howard/Parsons signing in Portland allows for trade offers for Aminu. Ariza with Aminu would give us a tremendous
      defense. Ariza can guard 1-4 positions and Aminu can guard positions 1-4. Aminu on offense can give you mins at SF and PF
      while Ariza can give us mins at SF and SG.

Edited by Jatman20, 01 July 2016 - 05:03 PM.

#4 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 477 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Yes - I thought the Augustin deal was really reasonable. He would've been a good fit behind Beverly off the bench, in my opinion. 

I also think the Al Jefferson deal (30 mil/3 years) was reasonable for the Pacers, but I don't get the fit. Larry Bird wanted to play faster and that's why he blew up the previous team. Jefferson is the opposite of that. Also, if you believe the Pacers' best lineups have George at the 4, then Jefferson is not a good fit at the 5 (Myles Turner is probably better.) I know they're likely losing Ian Mahinimi (sp?), but the fit is really odd. 

#5 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 477 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Oh - and Batum re-upped with the Hornets for 5 years/120 million. Is Bazemore getting the same kind of deal? I think I'd rather have Batum and Bazemore over Parsons at this point. 

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 593 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

Yes - I thought the Augustin deal was really reasonable. He would've been a good fit behind Beverly off the bench, in my opinion. 

I also think the Al Jefferson deal (30 mil/3 years) was reasonable for the Pacers, but I don't get the fit. Larry Bird wanted to play faster and that's why he blew up the previous team. Jefferson is the opposite of that. Also, if you believe the Pacers' best lineups have George at the 4, then Jefferson is not a good fit at the 5 (Myles Turner is probably better.) I know they're likely losing Ian Mahinimi (sp?), but the fit is really odd. 

Given Jefferson's age and stage of his career, he might be coming off the bench/starting versus certain teams.

#7 Davealicious

Davealicious

• Members
          • Pip
          • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

So let me get this straight, someone please correct me on this issue if I'm wrong.  And I hope I am.

I just checked ESPN, and Harden is slated to make just short of $17 mil this coming year.  Bazemore's name is floating around at getting $20 mil, making him the highest paid Rocket if he were to sign at that level?  Harden would still be our best player, right?  Am I missing something here?  Is there "upside potential" or some crap that I'm overlooking?  Or is this just the most ridiculous offseason ever?

Edited by Davealicious, 01 July 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#8 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 593 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

So let me get this straight, someone please correct me on this issue if I'm wrong.  And I hope I am.

I just checked ESPN, and Harden is slated to make just short of $17 mil this coming year.  Bazemore's name is floating around at getting $20 mil, making him the highest paid Rocket if he were to sign at that level?  Harden would still be our best player, right?  Am I missing something here?  Is there "upside potential" or some crap that I'm overlooking?  Or is this just the most ridiculous offseason ever?

Parsons is worth 24 mil a season apparently. 

#9 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

@Majik19. Heard an ESPN analyst (former GM I believe) saying what you mentioned. Jefferson doesn't really fit there. At some point
              he thinks Al Jefferson will wake up and say never mind. Just kidding (before actually signing on the line).

I think Bazemore will join the Rockets because he likes D'Antoni (together in LA) and will get paid heavily. I would still like to keep
              Ariza and obtain Aminu. In today's NBA you can't have enough versatility from the wings (or all players actually).
              I feel the Thunder took a big step backwards by letting Ibaka go as he made that small lineup go. He dominated Draymond and gave him fits. Then I could see a small lineup of: Westbrook/Oladipo/Roberson/Ilyasova/Durant.
              Then the rumor of Horford joining the Thunder.....Horford enters their small setup and Ilyasova comes out (Or Roberson). The Rockets could counter: Harden/Bazemore/Ariza/Aminu/Center. Center may be D-Mo or Capela
              or Harrell or Chinaku. With D-Mo you have 5 three point shooters on the court. The Cavs won with
              less. Tristan doesnt shoot 3's.....but stays active setting picks and rebounding.

P.S. No you are correct about Harden salary. Curry is the MVP two years running and will get about $12 million
              I believe. It's a timing thing. Strange times.

Edited by Jatman20, 01 July 2016 - 08:01 PM.

#10 Davealicious

Davealicious

• Members
              • Pip
              • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

P.S. No you are correct about Harden salary. Curry is the MVP two years running and will get about $12 million
                I believe. It's a timing thing. Strange times.

I completely understand it's a timing thing...which again, is just completely insane. I think an implied concern that I had but didn't quite spit out was this: will Harden be okay not being the highest paid player on the team, especially if it's someone who's likely not elite superstar material?

#11 Davealicious

Davealicious

• Members
                • Pip
                • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:04 PM

Parsons is worth 24 mil a season apparently. 

Geez, inflation is a b***h.

#12 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 593 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:20 PM

I completely understand it's a timing thing...which again, is just completely insane. I think an implied concern that I had but didn't quite spit out was this: will Harden be okay not being the highest paid player on the team, especially if it's someone who's likely not elite superstar material?

His time to re up is coming. He's got to start playing like a max player if he wants that money though IMO.

#13 majik19

majik19

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 477 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

I see that Beal isn't getting any votes - in context of the crazy deals guys are getting, I agree... but man, for a guy whose shown flashes but is always hurt, not bad to get a max deal. 

As for Parsons... Grizzlies' biggest need was shooting, and Parsons has never really been more than average. That deal is going to look extra silly if Conley doesn't come back. 

#14 majik19

majik19

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 477 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

One other weird thing on Parsons - why the Grizzlies and not the Blazers? I would argue in almost every way the Blazers' situation is way better. 

#15 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

One other weird thing on Parsons - why the Grizzlies and not the Blazers? I would argue in almost every way the Blazers' situation is way better. 

Apparently JBB and the fact that in Memphis he'll be closer to #2 option (behind Gasol), whereas in Portland he'll be more like #3 behind their dynamic duo.

#16 majik19

majik19

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 477 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:08 PM

Apparently JBB and the fact that in Memphis he'll be closer to #2 option (behind Gasol), whereas in Portland he'll be more like #3 behind their dynamic duo.

Nope. Tim McMahon just answered my question: 

A fun part of the Grizzlies' pitch to Chandler Parsons: a FaceTime call from Memphis minority owner Justin Timberlake.

#17 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 369 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:52 AM

Welcome to the site by the way Davealicious. Harden wants to win. I can't answer for Harden. But he was one of the ones
                            meeting with Bazemore. Along with Morey, Olajuwon, Drexler, Mr. Alexander, Rosas, others. Bazemore and his agent report
                            being floored by the entourage. So I'm sure Harden gave his blessings. Success of the team will bring others. Field
                            of Dreams stuff. Build the race car this season, in hopes of attracting the expert race car driver next summer. Possibly
                            Durant.....or another.

I'm glad Morey is finally trying to get outside shooting. From PG Conley, Bazemore, Fournier, Eric Gordon. Dispite KJ and
                            Brewer still on the team. Whoever we bring in, as far as Mega stars, will benefit from the improved shooting.
                            A sign the older players have succumbed to Father Time......they front rim their shots. The legs are the first thing
                            to go. Jason was front rimming his shots all season.

**Side note** Bazemore said no meetings until after July 4th (July 5th). Then the secret meeting with Houston.
                            That's the thing that makes me feel like there is mutual interest.

Edited by Jatman20, 02 July 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#18 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 369 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:08 AM

My wish list is cutting down to a few: Gone: Conley, Augustin, Fournier, Mozgov, Batum, Teletovic, Whiteside, Bazemore.

Still available: Horford, Ryan Anderson, Biyombo, Pachulia, Ian Mahinmi, Barbosa, Crabbe

Offered contract: Courtney Lee-Knicks

Add-on: Dwanye Wade or Joe Johnson or Nowitzki....1 yr contracts

Edited by Jatman20, 02 July 2016 - 03:17 AM.

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                              • 4,277 posts
                              • Locationhouston

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:52 AM

I had to vote for Parsons you were twisting my arm with the question :lol: did I miss something in Dallas last year? his deal blew me away based on the fact  Dallas wasn't one of the teams interested in him. the Mozgov and Noah deals are pretty buck wild, but Parsons is completely off the chain :lol:

I will say one thing..............things appear very quite on the Rocket horizon........that's not what I was hoping for. I think since D-12 is gone we must go ALL in on Horford. c'mon Morey work your magic

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                              • 4,560 posts
                              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:04 AM

If we completely whiff on free agents there is one good thing...we can play our young guys and let them develop.  I think I prefer that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users