Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (07 August 2016 - 07:16 PM) Nope, but there is some raw talent to work with there. He is years away...
@  majik19 : (06 August 2016 - 11:53 PM) well it doesn't look like Zhou Qi is NBA-ready
@  thejohnnygold : (25 July 2016 - 04:26 PM) I think I am going to like Bobby Brown...that is within the confines of our current strategy which is score, score, SCORE!
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2016 - 08:02 PM) The "super team" Knicks? lol
@  thejohnnygold : (22 July 2016 - 06:05 PM) On Josh Smith...my guess is the Knicks eventually sign him.
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 04:29 PM) The Jet has been released. Josh Smith will likely play for another team next season. Maybe he teams up with Dwight in ATL?
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 12:17 PM) Harden is now sending hitmen after Rockets legends' sons for badmouthing him on social media *facepalm*
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2016 - 02:22 PM) If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 "The Guru of Go", I recommend it before the upcoming season.
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 07:20 PM) Yea I know, but there were reports both sides were willing to have a reunion before Chicago signed him. So at the time, Canaan was an option, and a better one than Pablo at that. We should've capitalized on that one, especially with how well he fits the system for obvious reasons + age on his side.
@  thejohnnygold : (14 July 2016 - 03:43 PM) Canaan signed with Chicago already
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 03:24 PM) Don't love the Prigioni move. Thought for sure we had better options like bringing Canaan back or getting someone like Shane Larkin
@  DenverRocket : (14 July 2016 - 04:36 AM) Apparently signed Prigioni to a one-year contract (veteran minimum) with a team option for a second season.
@  slick shoes : (13 July 2016 - 08:38 PM) Chris Finch is out as an assistant. Bummer.
@  slick shoes : (11 July 2016 - 03:32 PM) Shame to lose Glove Jr. before the close of Summer League. Would have liked to see him get some court time.
@  Mario Peña : (09 July 2016 - 11:21 PM) I'm going to tentatively say I'm glad this is happening. I believe James is a top 5 player with all the tools to have a great year but this team needs an all star/glue guy/leader type and then maybe the magic can happen.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 July 2016 - 09:53 PM) If he plays defense I'll be fine
@  DenverRocket : (09 July 2016 - 07:51 PM) Bad news for the anti-Harden brigade, he's just signed a 4yr extension ($118m)
@  slick shoes : (07 July 2016 - 12:46 AM) Maybe these are just pieces to a larger puzzle... (fingers crossed)
@  thejohnnygold : (06 July 2016 - 08:21 PM) Morey has had a crush on him for a long time...another offense-only guy...
@  slick shoes : (06 July 2016 - 06:22 PM) We have just signed Nene to a one year deal....

Photo

On Jeff Bzdelik and the Houston Rockets' defense

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

New post: On Jeff Bzdelik and the Houston Rockets' defense
    By: Rahat Huq

via the Chron:

Quote:

Two years ago, they (the Rockets) were very good defensively. The ability and the talent is there. There needs to be a mentality where all five guys understand that it takes all five guys to get a stop, everybody's involved and if one guy doesn't do his job, he's an outcast.

I'm not going to pretend as if I am an expert on Bzdelik's philosophies, but from what I gather, he's a highly respected and capable assistant; there is no doubt regarding Bzdelik's competency for this job.

But the cited quotation above underscores my central concern regarding this coaching search and the current dynamics.  What does it matter that Bzdelik is saying all of the right things?  A man's words hold no weight if he does not wield the power of accountability.  Making James Harden an "outcast" for his lackluster effort is a great theoretical exercise.  But what's going to happen in reality?  You are telling me that Mike D'Antoni is going to bench his best offensive player because he failed to get back on defense?  I'll believe that when I see it.  As I've been writing since news of Hou...Alexander's interest in D'Antoni first leaked, I don't believe a strong cabinet of assistants can overcome the glaring deficiency of a head coach.  It's the head coach who dictates agenda.  But I remain hopeful.

#2 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 369 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:23 AM

I agree with what you are saying. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. When one guy gets beat constantly by his
      opponent or if players lose track of their assignment it forces other guys to leave their assignments to help out. Everyone
      then has to rotate accordingly. When Lin played for the Rockets I felt every Rocket player on the court had to cover more
      ground to make up for both Lin and Harden's lapses in defense. Lin is gone; and it was futile to crack the whip on Harden
      about his defense. The issues ran too deep. I'm not a psychologist or a counselor and I don't pretend to be one.
      In the vampire movie series Twilight, their fans often felt they had to pick a side: Team Jacob or Team Edward. Well the
      Rockets players this year had their very own struggle (drama) with deciding on who or whom to support: Team Howard
      or Team Harden? It was a struggle between two evils, two major egos and different styles in play offensively. D12
      wanted to get his numbers offensively through post plays (Less by PnR) while Harden wanted to move to an uptempo
      press on the throttle style. What does that have to do with defense? *****JUST MY OPINION***** Did Harden want to
      see Howard's post up game succeed? IMO no. Did Howard want to Run n Gun up and down the court and succeed in
      Harden's style? IMO no. Each rebelled or resisted against the other and didn't give full effort. I doubt Harden would
      admit it; but D12 has admitted he was disinterested at times when he felt his role was decreased (that means when they
      played Harden's style IMO). Now the other players are watching them go at it all year like two parents headed for
      divorce. The kids have to pick a side. The smart players had to know that Harden was the long term Rocket choice
      and he was the one that they should support. One has to know which side of your bread gets buttered. I'm sure
      Dwight had his co-workers that tried to stay on the fence or play both sides. I know, they are professionals!!! But
      they are 20 y/o professionals. A few years removed from highschool. The best thing for these two is to be separated.
      Howard will be bouncing on his new team around like he did in the first round in 2014/15 playoffs vs the Mavs
      while Harden hopes to recruit Durant (DRtg 104), Horford (DRtg 101), Bazemore (DRtg 100.. Horford's
      co-worker), Augustine (played at U of Texas as Fr with Durant in 2006/07 & recently with OKC). I'm confident
      the Rockets defense will improve with addition by subtraction (remove Howard and bring in players that are
      all on the same page).

And then Bzdelik and Roy Rogers and get their hands on them.

Edited by Jatman20, 05 June 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,265 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:40 AM

New post: On Jeff Bzdelik and the Houston Rockets' defense
      By: Rahat Huq

via the Chron:

Quote:

I'm not going to pretend as if I am an expert on Bzdelik's philosophies, but from what I gather, he's a highly respected and capable assistant; there is no doubt regarding Bzdelik's competency for this job.

But the cited quotation above underscores my central concern regarding this coaching search and the current dynamics.  What does it matter that Bzdelik is saying all of the right things?  A man's words hold no weight if he does not wield the power of accountability.  Making James Harden an "outcast" for his lackluster effort is a great theoretical exercise.  But what's going to happen in reality?  You are telling me that Mike D'Antoni is going to bench his best offensive player because he failed to get back on defense?  I'll believe that when I see it.  As I've been writing since news of Hou...Alexander's interest in D'Antoni first leaked, I don't believe a strong cabinet of assistants can overcome the glaring deficiency of a head coach.  It's the head coach who dictates agenda.  But I remain hopeful.

(I don't believe a strong cabinet of assistants can overcome the glaring deficiency of a head coach) TOTALLY AGREE. this is exactly the same reason I am not as hope filled about this head coach/assistant pairing. defense is not some secondary area of the game to be handed off to a assistant and forgotten about. my concern is two different voices directing the team, which will be heard. it opens the door for future conflict. will Bzdelik really have power if he and Pringles disagree? Pringles says he will stay out of the way defensively, however how much can the head coach really stay out of the way in any area of preparing his team for battle? it's going to be interesting watching this unfold.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users