Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (01 June 2016 - 11:21 PM) looks like we did hire Jeff Bzdelik, so I hope that's a good sign. Quote from him: "He can defend as all of them can when they want to and that goes back to everybody needs to be committed and there needs to be a trust."
@  majik19 : (01 June 2016 - 07:46 PM) i think playing fast will be good for the team - too many players are uncomfortable in half court sets but are good in transition.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 07:33 PM) He is also of the belief that many players were playing outside of their offensive roles last season which made them give less than 100% on the defensive end. He aims to fit our current/future players to their roles and then the defense will follow.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 07:23 PM) Takeaways: Pringles was chosen by ownership, NOT management. Les wants to play fast. The ball will still stop in James Harden's hands with frequency.
@  slick shoes : (01 June 2016 - 03:50 PM) Will anyone else be watching the 'Antoni introduction?
@  thejohnnygold : (31 May 2016 - 02:37 PM) It's tough to say...he plays it pretty close to the vest. Plus, there will be no shortage of suitors...as in every single team.
@  Mario Peña : (31 May 2016 - 02:14 AM) Westbrook looks a little out of control tonight. Maybe that will annoy Durant. Maybe Harden will look more appealing if the Thunder lose. I know it's a dream.
@  slick shoes : (27 May 2016 - 12:38 PM) I doubt it. He is what he is at this point IMO. 'Antoni won't make him a better player.
@  majik19 : (26 May 2016 - 11:28 PM) i wonder if Harden missing all NBA will motivate him to play some defense... (he deserved at least 3rd team based on offense alone).
@  slick shoes : (26 May 2016 - 09:50 PM) anyone coming with me to the Spurs board?
@  majik19 : (26 May 2016 - 09:25 PM) Calvin Watkins just reported D'Antoni as coach... ugh.
@  slick shoes : (23 May 2016 - 12:24 PM) The worst part about Green is that he tries to play that nice guy role à la Reggie Miller.
@  Mario Peña : (23 May 2016 - 02:00 AM) Im quite pleased the Thunder are decimating the Warriors.
@  Mario Peña : (23 May 2016 - 12:54 AM) I cannot stand Draymond Green. I don't like him in any way. That dude is cheap and he's one of the main reasons I really don't like the Warriors.
@  majik19 : (21 May 2016 - 05:28 PM) no need to rush it now - only one other opening to compete with, and no first round draft pick to get input on.
@  Mario Peña : (21 May 2016 - 02:19 PM) SteinyMo reporting James Borrego from Pop's bench is now getting a look. Wow just wow.
@  majik19 : (20 May 2016 - 09:32 PM) I saw that report. Silas seems like a swing for the fences move, but isn't he exactly like JBB? Harden didn't respond to JBB, why would he respond to another longtime coach's son?
@  Mario Peña : (20 May 2016 - 07:29 PM) So Watkins is reporting its between D'Antoni and Silas.
@  Mario Peña : (20 May 2016 - 06:30 PM) In retrospect some of what has happened over the last few years going back to Lin, McHale and maybe a few other things seem to have Alexander's fingerprints on them and even if true to an extant that's troubling to me. Just when I thought things couldn't be worse, oh well.
@  thejohnnygold : (20 May 2016 - 04:58 PM) If so, this site will become more of a support group than a fan board.

Photo

Interesting read - Where Will Dwight Howard Play Next Year?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rockets916

rockets916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:36 AM

Dwight Howard gets a bad rep in the NBA. He was recently on 'Inside The NBA' and joined the cast while Shaquille O'Neal was out. They were discussing the dramatic ending to Game 5 of the Spurs-Thunder series when Charles Barkley asked Howard about his reputation as a dis-likable player.

Barkley said that when he receives questions about Howard while traveling, he answers, "He's a really nice guy, he's a hell of a player, but for some reason people don't like him." Howard didn't run or hide from the question and gave everyone in the league a lesson on how to deal with negative questioning.

"I think I was very likable in Orlando, and the way that situation ended, I think people thought as though I'm just the bad guy," Howard ruminated. "I'm all about myself. I'm a diva. I'm stuck on being 'Dwight Howard, this famous basketball player.'"

"So people say, 'I don't like this guy.' And I hear that and it really hurts me because my heart and attitude toward this game have always been the same," Howard added.

Dwight Howard is a nice guy who plays a position that is slowly going extinct. The best part about Howard’s interview is that, while it worked wonders for turning his image around, it didn’t come off as a PR move.

DWIGHT HOWARD'S EARLY SUCCESS

Dwight Howard skipped college and got drafted by the Magic with the first overall pick in 2004 out of High School. The first years of his career in Orlando were a massive success: five All-NBA First-Team nominations, three NBA

After Orlando, he went to Hollywood. Many fans and NBA writers referred to Howard as being the center of the Lakers' problems. That couldn't be further from the truth. Dwight not re-signing with the Lakers was a reflection of the state of the team. Dwight Howard didn't fit into any box in Los Angeles. He was sometimes brilliant, but he sometimes completely disappeared. Making it worse, Kobe Bryant wasn't the easiest teammate to get along with.Defensive Player of the Year nods and he became the Magic's all-time leading scorer. He was a beast on the court and happy off of it. He was a godsend for Orlando after Shaq and Penny Hardaway left the city.

Now in Houston, everyone is wondering what happened to the league's best center? James Harden can be a diva at times. During the interview, Dwight Howard didn't shy away when Barkley asked him about playing with James Harden:

"We need to put our egos to the side and we need each other to win." At least Howard is admitting he can't win alone -- something Harden will not do.

WHAT COULD HAPPEN THIS SUMMER?

Dwight Howard is expected to opt out of his four-year, $87.5 million contract in July. Some of the early suitors for his services include the Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks.

Dallas could be a good fit for Howard, considering Dirk Nowitzki will be retiring soon. In addition, Howard could be a welcome addition to Phil Jackson's triangle system in New York.

Howard may not be the league’s best center like he was when he hit the market in 2013, but he can still make an impact for a team willing to utilize him properly.

Resource: http://sportsngiggle...play-next-year/

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,481 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:05 PM

It's a good question and a very interesting one.

I don't feel like we maximized Dwight in Houston (for the most part).  Which is not to say we should have fed him the ball in the post 20 times a game.  Rather, I think he never seemed to fully incorporate into the team concept as a complimentary player.  I think both sides had a part in that not happening.  The odds are it is over now so not much point in worrying about it.  Water under the bridge...

Looking forward, I think there are quite a few teams that would enjoy his services (at the right price).  I think Hassan Whiteside's free agency will be the domino that has to fall first.  Biyombo may opt out as well which could further muddy the water.  Ezeli and Mahinmi will be out there as well.

Assuming Dwight will want at least $25M per year on a 4 year deal I think that will be a tough sell.  After his recent interview talking about how he wanted the ball more and after he didn't get it he, more or less, quit trying that makes him an even tougher sell.

The question is what team wants to give Dwight 12-15 post touches a game in order to ensure his happiness and engagement?

My best guess is Portland.   :unsure:  It makes a lot of sense; especially, if they miss out on any of the other FA centers.

My dark horse is a sign + trade with Chicago.  Derrick Rose/Pau Gasol for Dwight Howard and Patrick Beverley.

Beverley, Butler, Snell/Dunleavy, Mirotic, and Howard gives them a lot of defense and firmly hands the team over to Butler.  With that much defense, they can afford to give it to Dwight in the post.  Bonus: Beverley gets to play in his hometown.

Houston gets another shot at a high risk/high reward PG plus Pau (long coveted by Morey) who pairs well with just about anyone.

Antoni will have a PG who can (allegedly) spearhead his offense and a pair of bigs who can run high post offense in Gasol and Motie.  Morey gets some stars and Les can sell more tickets.  Everyone wins....except the fans who actually appreciate the game and know D-Rose is washed up.

Now, my opinion is this trade sucks.  We will love having Gasol, but D-Rose will make us long for Beverley.  The good news is Rose's deal is only for one year (Gasol too) so we can scrap it after a year if it doesn't work.  (Gasol has to opt in for all this to work)

The only other team I can see going for Dwight is Indiana.  Larry Bird is old school and might like the idea of post ups and defense.  With Hill, Ellis, George, Turner, and Howard they will have a pretty interesting squad.  Of course, they can just re-sign Mahinmi and not sweat team chemistry.  (That's what I'd do)

Charlotte makes some sense, but I just can't see Michael Jordan green lighting a Howard acquisition....but what do I know?

#3 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 176 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

[quote name="thejohnnygold" post="51025"
      My dark horse is a sign + trade with Chicago. Derrick Rose/Pau Gasol for Dwight Howard and Patrick Beverley.

Beverley, Butler, Snell/Dunleavy, Mirotic, and Howard gives them a lot of defense and firmly hands the team over to Butler. With that much defense, they can afford to give it to Dwight in the post. Bonus: Beverley gets to play in his hometown.

Houston gets another shot at a high risk/high reward PG plus Pau (long coveted by Morey) who pairs well with just about anyone.

Antoni will have a PG who can (allegedly) spearhead his offense and a pair of bigs who can run high post offense in Gasol and Motie. Morey gets some stars and Les can sell more tickets. Everyone wins....except the fans who actually appreciate the game and know D-Rose is washed up.

Now, my opinion is this trade sucks. We will love having Gasol, but D-Rose will make us long for Beverley. The good news is Rose's deal is only for one year (Gasol too) so we can scrap it after a year if it doesn't work. (Gasol has to opt in for all this to work)

The only other team I can see going for Dwight is Indiana. Larry Bird is old school and might like the idea of post ups and defense. With Hill, Ellis, George, Turner, and Howard they will have a pretty interesting squad. Of course, they can just re-sign Mahinmi and not sweat team chemistry. (That's what I'd do)

Charlotte makes some sense, but I just can't see Michael Jordan green lighting a Howard acquisition....but what do I know?[/quote]

This is the problem with Antoni he has left a path of destruction wherever he has been. (Except Phoenix) Antoni clashed constantly with Gasol. Now Gasol is a guy that can get along with even the most menacing in Kobe but can't work it out with this ego maniac. We have really left our options limited with this signing.

#4 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 456 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

I think Howard is going to chase the money, so I think a team that struggles to attract stars will be his best suitor. He says he's interested in winning, but you're not going to see him take a pay cut to play with the Thunder or Spurs or someone like that.

I think Charlotte may be that team. He could fit in Phoenix with their legendary training staff. I don't think Portland would sign him, with their preference to stay younger.

Johnnie's right about Whiteside tho - that needs to be resolved first. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users