Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (28 April 2016 - 06:27 PM) Harden is the best offensive player but the best overall was Klay last night
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:25 AM) klay thompson is the best player on the floor. hard to win when Harden isn't the best.
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:19 AM) GS is better at hitting bad/covered shots than anyone on our team is at hitting open shots.
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:16 AM) that was embarassing. 4 offensive rebounds. 2 missed 3s by Ariza and 2 missed 3s by Beverley.
@  Cooper : (28 April 2016 - 03:24 AM) this team is depressing
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 03:01 AM) Ariza is a complete negative on the floor. he can't hit a shot or fight through/around a screen to save his life
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 02:54 AM) everyone but james harden is terrible right now
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 08:49 PM) I think Walton is going to be a solid hire for somebody. I wouldn't mind if it were for us.
@  slick shoes : (27 April 2016 - 06:15 PM) I'd like to see them take it full circle and hire Walton. I don't know if he's the right buy for their young core currently, but maybe 2-3 years from now.
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 05:24 PM) Knowing LA, they will do something that leaves us all scratching our heads.
@  slick shoes : (27 April 2016 - 04:56 PM) While I do favor JVG, I hope that we also kick the tires on a few other guys as well.
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 01:34 PM) If you mean JVG--no, I'm not worried. :)
@  slick shoes : (27 April 2016 - 12:32 PM) Is it just me or is the Lakers firing Scott a bit worrisome for our coaching search?
@  DenverRocket : (27 April 2016 - 12:02 AM) Seems like Parsons is already trying to recruit Dwight to the Mavs ;-)
@  DenverRocket : (26 April 2016 - 05:51 AM) I love KD even more after his post-match response to that Cuban comment: "He's a idiot!" :)
@  slick shoes : (26 April 2016 - 03:01 AM) Why give Westbrook bulletin board material in a closeout game?
@  Mario Peña : (26 April 2016 - 02:28 AM) That insult Cuban hurled at Westbrook was classic big mouth Cuban. It gave Wedtbrook some fuel no doubt.
@  Mario Peña : (25 April 2016 - 02:40 AM) I can't stand the Warriors but I hate to see great players fall prey to injuries. Seems like Steph could be done till next season which is unfortunate since he does play on one team I root for, Team USA.
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 10:02 PM) down by 23 points and we have McDaniels AND Brewer in. WTF?
@  majik19 : (24 April 2016 - 09:48 PM) the difference in this gme has been Brewer is in and Beverley is out

Photo

On staying ready

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:53 AM

New post: On staying ready
    By: Rahat Huq

I have been writing for some time now that the Rockets' goal should be to be second best.  That logic is underscored by the ramifications of the Steph Curry injury.  To recap, many of you felt that a team led by James Harden could never top the Warriors and by extension, felt the Rockets should seek to trade James Harden to facilitate the construction of a team that could.  I countered that such a course would be futile and take many years to bear fruit, if it did at all.  I argued that, while perhaps defeatist, it was smarter to just aim to be "good enough", or second best, just hanging around and staying in the picture long enough for luck to strike; I argued that it didn't make sense to part with Harden when the Warriors' window could close at any moment.  "Staying in the picture" was how the Mavs won their title and how the Spurs won at least one of theirs.  And if this Curry injury is as severe as it might be, it'll be how the Clippers or Thunder will win their first, if the Spurs don't add yet another.  Fortunes turn quickly in the NBA, and if the Rockets were any good, they too would be right in the picture.

Had the Rockets had any pride, they'd be 2-2 at this moment with a very real shot to advance.  I don't think this series is necessarily over, but Houston blew a golden chance.  Going forward, this entire episode reaffirms my belief that just being second best is good enough.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,443 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:44 AM

Easy enough to say with hindsight. :P  However, this completely ignores the question of why we barely made the playoffs and produced one of the most disappointing seasons in Rockets history.

I can't speak for any other "Harden-Traders", but for me it was not about creating a team that could beat the Warriors (although, they will be a part of the playoff conversation for years to come).  No, it is about creating a team that didn't quit because the coaching was bad and the stars were mailing it in while blaming others for their lack of effort.

Dave Joerger just gave an interview that should make every Houstonian long to have that kind of heart on this team.  Memphis had every reason to quit and they didn't.  Meanwhile, Houston had every reason to fight and they didn't.

It's a failure of applying analytical ideals to player acquisition.  It's a failure of implementing a read-and-react offense to players that can neither read nor react (see first statement).  It's a failure of holding star players accountable.  It's a failure of working harder to develop our young guys versus spoon-feeding minutes to undeserving vets.  It's a failure on James Harden to live up to the MVP moniker he feels he deserved.  Every single member of the organization should be embarrassed by this season.

I'm sorry fellow Rockets fans, but "second best" just isn't on the table right now.  Also, let's not over-inflate our 2nd place finish from last year.  The Clips had the same record, San Antonio was only a game behind using their rest-your-stars method of coasting through the season, and Memphis was 1 game back as well.  We were just as close to 5th best as we were to 2nd and that's before factoring in OKC's Durant-less season.

Is 6th best still "good enough"?  What happens when the team that played inspired ball all last year mails it in?  Apparently, we are barely 8th best and are neck deep in mediocrity--the one place most Rockets fans fear the most--coupled with apathy.

Long story short: Don't eschew change for complacent comfort.

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 434 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

I would like to add that now Chris Paul is also out, and the West looks ripe to at least put someone else up against the Spurs. I was about to post a comment exactly like Rahat's post after seeing Chris Paul's broken hand this morning. 

#4 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 342 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:51 PM

Johnny,

I've been silent this yr as I wanted to see how the season played out w/out getting caught up in every twist and turn.(Prob a bad decision,but it fits in w/the Rockets this yr.) I intend a long,super-wordy end of season post that states what all I think has gone wrong these past two seasons.

One aspect that touches on your reply is at the trade deadline the Rockets acquired Prigioni and Josh Smith,who were secondary playmakers. They gave the Rockets players who could set up other players,keeping the ball moving and more importantly keeping the other Rockets involved.

When the TY Lawson Experience went down in flames,the Rockets were left w/only Harden as a playmaker. W/out anyone else to keep the other players involved on offense,the joy of basketball faded and we end up w/a collection of players,not a team. For whatever reason,Josh has looked for his shot first and hasn't been the playmaker he was last season-contractitis? There's a reason the offense looks better when D-Mo plays,because he moves the ball quickly.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,443 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

Johnny,

I've been silent this yr as I wanted to see how the season played out w/out getting caught up in every twist and turn.(Prob a bad decision,but it fits in w/the Rockets this yr.) I intend a long,super-wordy end of season post that states what all I think has gone wrong these past two seasons.

One aspect that touches on your reply is at the trade deadline the Rockets acquired Prigioni and Josh Smith,who were secondary playmakers. They gave the Rockets players who could set up other players,keeping the ball moving and more importantly keeping the other Rockets involved.

When the TY Lawson Experience went down in flames,the Rockets were left w/only Harden as a playmaker. W/out anyone else to keep the other players involved on offense,the joy of basketball faded and we end up w/a collection of players,not a team. For whatever reason,Josh has looked for his shot first and hasn't been the playmaker he was last season-contractitis? There's a reason the offense looks better when D-Mo plays,because he moves the ball quickly.

I agree that we lack facilitators, but I don't think that is the main problem; rather, the lack of facilitators is highlighted because we lack an offensive system that players like that can thrive in.

D-Mo's injury was significant, but even still the coaching staff has not shown much interest in running any offense through the high post (which both Smith and D-Mo can produce effectively doing).

Ultimately, I believe that Harden is a poor PG for a multitude of reasons and he should be playing off the ball roughly 70-80% of the time.  A good PG will still make sure he gets plenty of touches and with an offensive system that gets all 5 players on the same page, instead of trying to use ESP, James should get more open looks and easier scoring opportunities.  Maybe then he'll have enough energy to play better defense.

If I were a Houston Rocket's player, I have no doubt that at some point this season I would have had the existential crisis of, "why am I here?".  More often than not, the answer was, "to watch James Harden play offense and then look bad trying to play 4 on 5 defense".  Maybe I'm crazy, but that doesn't sound like fun at all.

To run the kind of offense Houston seems to dream of we would need players like James Harden, Tyreke Evans, Michael Beasley, Damian Lillard, and Antetokounmpo (playing center).  Five guys who can all create for themselves without needing a play of any kind run for them.  They could all just take turns running iso or pick on whoever has the weakest defender.  

In the real world, it has become clear that Houston's players spend most of the offensive sets standing still because they have no idea where to go and don't want to draw the ire of Mr. Harden if they get in his way (and he does throw some glares around).  On the other hand, the last game saw D-Mo and Dwight trying to post up at the same time (with neither receiving the ball for obvious reasons).  Hilarious.  A true PG would handle this nonsense.

Moving on....the Chris Paul injury is brutal for LA and Griffin seems to be gimpy as well.  Portland has to be excited for their chances.  If we hadn't just lost Beverley I'd say we have a puncher's chance of pulling another 1-3 comeback.  Unless JB unleashes our young guys (KJ and Montrezl in particular, but Goudelock too) I don't think we have a chance at more than 1 win the rest of the way.

Meanwhile, San Antonio & OKC have got to be licking their chops.  On that note, anyone who hasn't been watching Russell Westbrook play basketball over the past two seasons is missing the (2nd) most exciting player in the league (after Mr. Curry).  I am going to watch every OKC-SA game and suggest everyone else try to do the same.  It is going to be awesome.

#6 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 434 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

I would like to add that now Chris Paul is also out, and the West looks ripe to at least put someone else up against the Spurs. I was about to post a comment exactly like Rahat's post after seeing Chris Paul's broken hand this morning. 

And Blake Griffin is done too!

#7 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 709 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

Harden can never be the PG because he doesn't make players better. I can't recall players who came into this team that has elevated their overall game through Harden's passing etc. Everyone who has signed or got traded to this team has declined. Ariza sustained his level for a season and has dropped drastically in D and everything else. Same with Bev, Howard, JET, Brewer etc. 

I just think people get sick off standing in the corner and just be an emergency outlet if the other team triple teams Harden. The only guys who are still playing hard are the players who are 10th to 15 on the totem pole. Dmo does it because he has something to prove, but I can't see him not getting deflated in the long run. 

The biggest part of being a point guard is to make your team mates better and involved in the offense. Also it doesn't help that while Harden has the ball so much, he doesn't defend on the other end so why would anyone fight for him ?

Remember when everyone said that Parsons wasn't worth the money, I would love to have him on the team now, because Ariza seems to be a short term fix, while Parsons if healthy played at a very high level for Mavs. Lin has worked out in Charlotte. These two players are great team mates as well and that Rockets team was so much more fun and energetic and you could always count on these two to play hard and for the team. For all of their flaws, you would never fault the two of them to play hard. The only two right now who are in the rotation is Bev and Dmo

#8 Willk

Willk

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 471 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

Harden can never be the PG because he doesn't make players better. I can't recall players who came into this team that has elevated their overall game through Harden's passing etc. Everyone who has signed or got traded to this team has declined. Ariza sustained his level for a season and has dropped drastically in D and everything else. Same with Bev, Howard, JET, Brewer etc. 

I just think people get sick off standing in the corner and just be an emergency outlet if the other team triple teams Harden. The only guys who are still playing hard are the players who are 10th to 15 on the totem pole. Dmo does it because he has something to prove, but I can't see him not getting deflated in the long run. 

The biggest part of being a point guard is to make your team mates better and involved in the offense. Also it doesn't help that while Harden has the ball so much, he doesn't defend on the other end so why would anyone fight for him ?

Remember when everyone said that Parsons wasn't worth the money, I would love to have him on the team now, because Ariza seems to be a short term fix, while Parsons if healthy played at a very high level for Mavs. Lin has worked out in Charlotte. These two players are great team mates as well and that Rockets team was so much more fun and energetic and you could always count on these two to play hard and for the team. For all of their flaws, you would never fault the two of them to play hard. The only two right now who are in the rotation is Bev and Dmo

You do know that Jeremy Lin had his two best shooting years playing next to James Harden (and he gotten worse the next two years after leaving Houston)? Chandler Parsons had 2 out of his 3 best shooting years next to James Harden. Bev shot a career best 40% from 3 this year playing next to James Harden. Josh Smith had his 2nd best 3 PT% shooting season last year. Trevor Ariza had his 2nd best 3PT% this year. Why did all of these players have their best or 2nd best years? Obviously, it is because of the wide open looks Harden creates for others. It is a false narrative that players do not improve while playing with Harden.

I am not sure if you are saying that everybody's decline in their D because of Harden or not, but lets look at the list you made:

Bev - Has he ever looked the same since his knee injury in the 2013/14 season where he played against Portland in the playoffs instead of getting surgery like what was recommended? I do not think so.

Ariza - His D has fallen off a cliff this year. This is the same guy that Zach Harper (the guy who made a video of all the fast breaks against Houston earlier in the year) credited with being the biggest problem on D because lackadaisical effort? This is because of Harden? 

Howard - You think his fall off is due to Harden? Would it not be because of significant decline in his athletic abilities?

JET - do you think he was a good defender prior to coming to Houston?

Brewer - he has had 1 or 2 good years as a defender. His career D rating is 108, which is bad. With his abilities he should be close to an elite defender, but his defensive mechanics are awful.

Sorry, but there are too many players who have played better playing next to harden to say Harden has made them worse.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,443 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

You do know that Jeremy Lin had his two best shooting years playing next to James Harden (and he gotten worse the next two years after leaving Houston)? Chandler Parsons had 2 out of his 3 best shooting years next to James Harden. Bev shot a career best 40% from 3 this year playing next to James Harden. Josh Smith had his 2nd best 3 PT% shooting season last year. Trevor Ariza had his 2nd best 3PT% this year. Why did all of these players have their best or 2nd best years? Obviously, it is because of the wide open looks Harden creates for others. It is a false narrative that players do not improve while playing with Harden.

I am not sure if you are saying that everybody's decline in their D because of Harden or not, but lets look at the list you made:

Bev - Has he ever looked the same since his knee injury in the 2013/14 season where he played against Portland in the playoffs instead of getting surgery like what was recommended? I do not think so.

Ariza - His D has fallen off a cliff this year. This is the same guy that Zach Harper (the guy who made a video of all the fast breaks against Houston earlier in the year) credited with being the biggest problem on D because lackadaisical effort? This is because of Harden? 

Howard - You think his fall off is due to Harden? Would it not be because of significant decline in his athletic abilities?

JET - do you think he was a good defender prior to coming to Houston?

Brewer - he has had 1 or 2 good years as a defender. His career D rating is 108, which is bad. With his abilities he should be close to an elite defender, but his defensive mechanics are awful.

Sorry, but there are too many players who have played better playing next to harden to say Harden has made them worse.

You're not wrong, but I think you're missing the point.  Harden certainly can make any other player's life easier on the court due to his offensive brilliance.  The way Harden plays the game (combined with the Rockets' determination to implement the no-mid-range strategy which means if you can't get to the hole you are only allowed to chuck 3's when James gives you the ball)...sorry, the way Harden plays the game sucks the fun, life, and soul out of almost every player eventually.

Jeremy Lin is exactly what this team needs.  An unselfish guard who can attack the rim, knock down open shots, put pressure on the defense and get others easy looks while hustling his butt off all game.  We shipped him out for nothing to try and get an unhealthy Chris Bosh.  He'll never come back and why would he?

Chandler Parsons?  See above, but switch the ship away part to let walk away.  Sure, for star-chasing it was the right move.  The question is this: is star-chasing the right move?  99% say, "yes".  I say stars are just winners that people put on pedestals.  If we win, the media and fans will anoint whoever they see fit and then lay in wait for a good time to strike and tear them back down again--it's what we do!

As for Ariza, another perfect example.  His defense fell off a cliff because he's not running through a wall for a guy like Harden.  He's the same guy from last year--just jaded.

I feel bad for Howard.  He is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NBA.  He gets no respect from his team, the refs, opposing teams, nor the media.  Not being a homer, but I truly believe that he is the worst officiated player in the NBA.  He gets so many floppy, ticky-tacky fouls called against him; yet, apparently he can get mauled in the post and it's a "clean block" seemingly every time.  Huh?

Between all that mess and the fact that Houston has relegated him to a role player (not debating that point) I'd be pretty frustrated as well.  Yes, his legs are showing signs of age, but he can still do plenty and be plenty.  When Carlisle gets his hands on him next year people will see it and wonder how he got so rejuvenated.

I think last night's game was one of those only-the-players-know, behind-the scenes deals.  James Harden's team mates took one last chance to let him know that it's not all about him.  We'll see if he got the message.  I'm guessing he didn't.

*On a side note, I loved the moment in last night's game when Beasly had just thrown the ball behind Jet's back and out of bounds.  No big deal, we have no structure to the offense so it happens all the time.  On the way back down court, Beasley continues to admonish Jet about "how to play the game" and you could just see it on Terry's face--"if you don't shut the...ugh, whatever, it's the last game of the year and I'm outta here.  You're all morons."  Good stuff.

Oh, speaking of Beasley.  I've seen enough.  Don't want him.  He can be someone else's problem too.  He has that perfect combination of not being very bright, but also not realizing that he isn't very bright.  There's just no fixing that.  

#10 Willk

Willk

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 471 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:18 PM

You're not wrong, but I think you're missing the point.  Harden certainly can make any other player's life easier on the court due to his offensive brilliance.  The way Harden plays the game (combined with the Rockets' determination to implement the no-mid-range strategy which means if you can't get to the hole you are only allowed to chuck 3's when James gives you the ball)...sorry, the way Harden plays the game sucks the fun, life, and soul out of almost every player eventually.

Jeremy Lin is exactly what this team needs.  An unselfish guard who can attack the rim, knock down open shots, put pressure on the defense and get others easy looks while hustling his butt off all game.  We shipped him out for nothing to try and get an unhealthy Chris Bosh.  He'll never come back and why would he?

Chandler Parsons?  See above, but switch the ship away part to let walk away.  Sure, for star-chasing it was the right move.  The question is this: is star-chasing the right move?  99% say, "yes".  I say stars are just winners that people put on pedestals.  If we win, the media and fans will anoint whoever they see fit and then lay in wait for a good time to strike and tear them back down again--it's what we do!

As for Ariza, another perfect example.  His defense fell off a cliff because he's not running through a wall for a guy like Harden.  He's the same guy from last year--just jaded.

I feel bad for Howard.  He is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NBA.  He gets no respect from his team, the refs, opposing teams, nor the media.  Not being a homer, but I truly believe that he is the worst officiated player in the NBA.  He gets so many floppy, ticky-tacky fouls called against him; yet, apparently he can get mauled in the post and it's a "clean block" seemingly every time.  Huh?

Between all that mess and the fact that Houston has relegated him to a role player (not debating that point) I'd be pretty frustrated as well.  Yes, his legs are showing signs of age, but he can still do plenty and be plenty.  When Carlisle gets his hands on him next year people will see it and wonder how he got so rejuvenated.

I think last night's game was one of those only-the-players-know, behind-the scenes deals.  James Harden's team mates took one last chance to let him know that it's not all about him.  We'll see if he got the message.  I'm guessing he didn't.

*On a side note, I loved the moment in last night's game when Beasly had just thrown the ball behind Jet's back and out of bounds.  No big deal, we have no structure to the offense so it happens all the time.  On the way back down court, Beasley continues to admonish Jet about "how to play the game" and you could just see it on Terry's face--"if you don't shut the...ugh, whatever, it's the last game of the year and I'm outta here.  You're all morons."  Good stuff.

Oh, speaking of Beasley.  I've seen enough.  Don't want him.  He can be someone else's problem too.  He has that perfect combination of not being very bright, but also not realizing that he isn't very bright.  There's just no fixing that.  

Ok I have to disagree with most the items you posted.

Let's start with Dwight. I think you are completely missing the boat about him. I believe he is the biggest cancer that this team has and once he is removed the patient (the Rockets) will be in much better/ harmonious situation. When Dwight came back from injury last year, he did not demand touches in the post. He played PnR with James and it was unstoppable. When he was not playing PnR, he dominated the offensive glass. This is the way the Rockets needed Dwight to play. When Capela comes into the game he instantly goes around setting picks for other players when he is not playing PnR with Harden. Dwight came into the season with other plans. He was one many of the players who wanted to have a bigger role in the offense instead of playing the game the Rockets needed. On defense, Dwight failed to recognize that he did not have the same athletically abilities he used to have. He would leave his man to try to block someone else's shot which of course would leave his man open for an offensive board. When Howard was block shot chasing, he often got out hustled for rebounds because he refused to ever box someone out. When athletic ability goes one needs to get more fundamentally sound. Howard never learned fundamentals. He always relied on his athletic ability. With his diminished abilities the Dwight factor on D became non-existent. Whenever somebody got into the paint, they had no fears of going at Dwight. Just as important, Dwight had 0 abilities to play PnR D. The Rockets seem to switch everything on D, and once Dwight switched on a guard, they would either blow by him or Howard would back up, leaving the guard open for an easy jumper. Howard also is known for being a politician. Everybody knows how he sneakily did everything possible to get SVG fired in Orlando. Everybody also knows he tried to get the Lakers to amnesty Kobe. I am sure he was up to his old tricks again in the Houston locker room. I'm sure stories will get out eventually. Like Scott Van Pelt said on Sportscenter (laying the blame on Howard) "your a superstar who is going to be on your 3rd team in 5 years, eventually you have stop saying it is everybody else and realize it is you." Goodbye Dwight, don't opt in. Hopefully, Carlisle takes Dwight and the Rockets can get Pachulia.

I get your bias of what recently happened with Jeremy Lin. He has had 3 good games in the playoffs. Trust me, I hope you get your wish and get Lin back and all that comes with Him. I will agree he hustles, there is no denying that, but please look at his shooting since he left Houston. He has been a bad shooter, so he does not really knock down the open shot. In the playoffs, he is shooting less than 30% outside of the lane. He ahs been good at getting in the lane in the playoffs, there is no way to argue otherwise. I agree he is unselfish but he is not a very good play maker. His career AST/ TO ratio is 1.8. This is a similar number you used to criticize James Harden.

I do not know what to think about Chandler Parsons. He is a good offensive player and the type of player the Rockets need if the are going to play Moreyball. I do wonder if the Rockets saw something wrong with his knee when they let him go. Who knows if he would have had the injury problems he has now or not. It is a tough call either way.

As far as Ariza is concerned, I seriously doubt that he is giving half his normal effort because of James. If Trevor was so upset with the way James is playing, why do they still hangout together. I know I would never willing hangout with co-workers I cannot stand. James and Ariza are still good friends. I doubt this would be the case if James continued to make Ariza look this bad. It may be anecdotal, but it is just as good of proof the anti-Hardens have provided.

I am still on the fence about Beasley. I think he is a complete knucklehead on offense. However many good teams have these types of players who can swing games. Cleveland has JR Smith, GS has Speights, Miami has Gerald Green, etc... I am fine if he is back or if he is not back.

I will not disagree that Harden needs to play harder on defense, but I would tend to believe that many of the Rockets came back this season wanting to be viewed as a bigger reason for the Rockets success. I do think there was a lot of jealousy from players like Dwight, Corey, Tjones, etc... Last year everybody did their job with Dwight out. The offense was pretty simple. James would run PnR with Dorsey, Black, and D-Mo with Ariza spotting up in one corner and D-Mo or TJones (when not playing PnR) in the other. When James sat, the offense ran through D-Mo. Players like Dorsey and Black never demanded touches. They knew what they had to do for the TEAM to be successful. Dorsey and Black would play D and rebound. Ariza's job was to guard the best perimeter or 2nd best perimeter player when Bev was injured and knock down open 3s. This year Ariza has decided he wanted to dribble the ball more with disastrous results. Corey Brewer was brought in last year to run around like a chicken with his caught off shooting the gap on D looking for steals that would lead to easy transition baskets. This year brewer has decided he will take as many bad shots as possible and brick all of the wide open shots Harden gets him. Last year, everybody had one goal - to do their job so that the team could have success. This year many of the players specifically Dwight, Corey, and TJones decided that they had to get theirs and put themselves ahead of the team.

I feel bad for Harden. He gets criticized for being out of shape even though he got injured after the Drew League. Its interesting that Harden gets criticized for being out of shape but D-MO and Dwight do not. If you watched Harden last summer, he was ballin. You saw him at the Team USA camp. He was in shape. You saw him dominate the Drew League, even dominating Klay Thompson in the final. He was still in shape. McHale was frustrated in training camp because Harden, Dwight, and D-Mo were injured so they could not practice what they wanted to practice. Early in the season you saw Harden's game was off due to the fact he was out of shape due to the injury. By the time he was in shape, he had to play 40 minutes a game to keep the rockets in games. The Rockets outscored their opponents by .2 PPG this year. They were a +7 with James on the court. I can only imagine what James feels when he continuously gets his teammates wide open shots and they continue to brick them. I would not continue to pass to them, yet James does. I have to really wonder how much players like Brewer, TJones, Lawson, etc... worked on their games this past summer. I do not think they put in much effort at the gym. 

#11 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 709 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

Season,Tm,Lg,G,GS,MP,FG,FGA,FG%,3P,3PA,3P%,2P,2PA,2P%,FT,FTA,FT%,ORB,DRB,TRB,AST,STL,BLK,TOV,PTS
                  2010-11,GSW,NBA,29,0,285,3.5,9.1,.389,0.1,0.6,.200,3.4,8.5,.403,2.4,3.2,.760,1.5,2.8,4.3,5.3,4.2,1.1,2.3,9.6
                  2011-12,NYK,NBA,35,25,940,6.5,14.7,.446,0.9,2.9,.320,5.6,11.8,.477,5.6,7.0,.798,0.7,3.4,4.1,8.3,2.1,0.3,4.8,19.6
                  2012-13,HOU,NBA,82,82,2640,5.4,12.2,.441,1.2,3.5,.339,4.2,8.7,.483,2.9,3.7,.785,0.4,2.9,3.4,6.8,1.8,0.4,3.2,14.9
                  2013-14,HOU,NBA,71,33,2054,5.2,11.6,.446,1.4,4.0,.358,3.7,7.6,.492,3.8,4.6,.823,0.6,2.7,3.3,5.2,1.2,0.5,3.1,15.6
                  2014-15,LAL,NBA,74,30,1907,5.2,12.3,.424,1.2,3.3,.369,4.0,9.0,.444,4.0,5.1,.795,0.5,3.2,3.7,6.4,1.5,0.6,3.1,15.7
                  2015-16,CHO,NBA,78,13,2048,5.3,12.8,.412,1.3,4.0,.336,3.9,8.8,.446,4.2,5.1,.815,0.7,3.7,4.4,4.1,1.0,0.7,2.6,16.1
                  Career,,NBA,369,183,9874,5.3,12.4,.432,1.2,3.5,.346,4.1,8.9,.466,3.8,4.8,.803,0.6,3.1,3.7,5.9,1.6,0.5,3.2,15.7

This is Lin's stats per 36 min. He shot slightly better in those season in Houston, but its no where near his best seasons. He scores a little more and grabs more rebound with less turnover. He has carved out a nice spot as a energy guy off the bench that can score and draw fouls and he has done for the Hornets. He assist less than ever but he knows his role. 

Season,Tm,Lg,G,GS,MP,FG,FGA,FG%,3P,3PA,3P%,2P,2PA,2P%,FT,FTA,FT%,ORB,DRB,TRB,AST,STL,BLK,TOV,PTS
                  2011-12,HOU,NBA,63,57,1804,4.9,11.0,.452,1.2,3.6,.337,3.8,7.4,.507,0.9,1.6,.551,1.8,4.2,6.0,2.7,1.5,0.6,1.6,12.0
                  2012-13,HOU,NBA,76,76,2758,6.0,12.3,.486,2.0,5.2,.385,4.0,7.1,.559,1.5,2.0,.729,1.0,4.2,5.3,3.5,1.0,0.4,1.9,15.4
                  2013-14,HOU,NBA,74,74,2783,6.0,12.8,.472,1.7,4.5,.370,4.3,8.2,.528,2.1,2.9,.742,0.9,4.4,5.3,3.9,1.1,0.4,1.9,15.9
                  2014-15,DAL,NBA,66,66,2186,6.3,13.7,.462,2.2,5.7,.380,4.1,7.9,.521,2.3,3.2,.720,1.1,4.3,5.3,2.7,1.1,0.3,1.6,17.1
                  2015-16,DAL,NBA,61,51,1799,6.4,13.0,.492,2.1,5.0,.416,4.3,8.0,.539,1.9,2.7,.684,0.6,5.1,5.7,3.4,0.9,0.4,1.9,16.7

This is Parsons number. Where did he has his best shooting year ? He shot 46 % FG and 38% on 3s the season before for Mavs and he shot 49% and 41.6% on 3s this season with a big sample size. His best scoring seasons are for the Mavs. So while he has to carry a larger role for the Mavs and shooting a little more he is more efficient. 

Wilk also shooting % isn't everything is their overall plays. Both of these players has been recognized this year for the contributions to their team. Lin was in the 6th man consideration (although never a shot at winning it )  but he was mentioned a lot. Looking at the playoffs Hornets doesn't win game 3,4 and 5 with his overall contributions. 

Parsons lead the Mavs to a good season until injuries sidelined him and this was without a good pre-season. This is a team of misfits and shoudn't even be close to finish above the Rockets.

I'm not saying any of these players are superstars or even stars (especially Lin who is a very good 6th man backup PG) but Parson is way better than Ariza right now. 

A lof of players you mentioned are having one of their best shooting years, while some of them are correct due to Harden drawing attention, most of them have dropped of the earth in terms of their overall game. It could be mental, lack of reps, physical attibutes, but most of us who watches the game can see that the team looks despondent. No one is running through the wall for this team, and what's the cause of this ? All of them just lost their pride for no good reason ?

I know that the image of the bench when Harden scores the game winnier in game 3. Morey and everyone else can deflect and say they didn't want to celebrate prematurely and its taken out of context. But I call it bull. Look at the Rockets from last year or any other team when someone hits a game leading shot with less than 4 sec to go or a big dunk, NBA players celebrate like crazy for a dunk thats extends the lead to 30 p in the regular season. They do the hold me up I am falling over thing jumping up wawing towels shirts the works. But a game winner with 3 secs to go they are all stoic because they are so focused ?

I don't think anyone is arguing Harden being dominant and carries the team way too often on offense, but if never passes the ball unless he has to and dribbles down the shot clock with no other player touching the ball its get repetitive and discouraging for other players while not playing D at all. I would connect this to Kobe who hogged the ball and took a lot of shots, but players followed him because he worked his ass of on D most of his career and took on the best wing players in big moments leading by example. A player like that gets respect from his team mates because he walking the walk. Harden blames his team mates when his player blows past him like last night to Dmo, when he plays hit matador D, after a couple of years of this it wears you down. 

Edited by thenit, 28 April 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#12 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                  • 1,563 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:03 AM

Prigioni was a very underrated loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users