Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (21 April 2016 - 12:12 PM) Let everyone chase Scott Brooks. I don't want him and thinking he'll lure in KD does not make sense to me.
@  majik19 : (20 April 2016 - 08:13 PM) Looks like the Wizards have the same idea many of us do: ESPN sources say Washington is actively intensifying its Scotty Brooks pursuit in hopes of sealing a Brooks deal before Houston's job opens.
@  majik19 : (20 April 2016 - 05:40 PM) at 10 million per year - wow. Reports are JVG and Scott Brooks are top candidates for us now.
@  slick shoes : (20 April 2016 - 05:34 PM) Well Thibbs is out.
@  DenverRocket : (19 April 2016 - 10:39 PM) Yep, but even he couldn't handle Rondo last year. The way Dwight played, last night, reminded me of Rondo for the MAvs in the first round last year. Maybe we should feck him off for the final two games?
@  thenit : (19 April 2016 - 07:46 PM) look at Carlyle what a good coach and players with no ego and effort can do. AFter getting killed he made adjustments and they won a game despite clearly being less talented than OKC
@  thenit : (19 April 2016 - 07:45 PM) DMO also started off well, then after about 5.30 min into the game he sits him and brings him back with about 5.30 left in the 2nd Q all cold and no rhytm. Brings capela in for 2.45 min ? Whats the point ? U either play him more or don't play him at all.
@  thenit : (19 April 2016 - 07:44 PM) JBB is terrible he still hasnt a set rotation or starting lineup uses 10 players in 1Q and one of them played the whole Q. So 9 players saw the floor on the other 4 positions.
@  thejohnnygold : (19 April 2016 - 02:34 PM) The TNT crew didn't hold back. It didn't bother me because it's all true. In fact, this team is so bad it broke the fan forum that supports it.
@  Mario Peña : (19 April 2016 - 05:22 AM) It's been tough.
@  majik19 : (19 April 2016 - 05:10 AM) gosh i hate watching this team. just can't do it.
@  majik19 : (19 April 2016 - 04:57 AM) talk about a melt down. side note - almost half a quarter left and nearly 100 points... without curry
@  majik19 : (19 April 2016 - 03:13 AM) high variance - josh smith shooting - and making - threes!
@  majik19 : (19 April 2016 - 02:53 AM) harden just wants to complain while he's missing everything.
@  majik19 : (19 April 2016 - 01:59 AM) Curry isn't playing. Now is the time.
@  majik19 : (19 April 2016 - 01:10 AM) welcome back everyone! if corey brewer starts tonight, i'll eat my hat!
@  thejohnnygold : (17 April 2016 - 04:04 PM) I sincerely hope JB trots out a starting 5 of Bev, Goudelock, McDaniels, Harrell, and Motie. Tell the regular starters that if they want to play they need to match these guys' intensity. Otherwise, shut up and sit down. I'd be a mean coach :)
@  thejohnnygold : (17 April 2016 - 03:56 PM) It will also be interesting to see how JB solves the problem of how well they defended Harden. If it were me I'd play him like JJ Redick and have him coming off multiple screens with D-Mo running the point from the top of the key and a big lurking baseline. Couldn't be any worse than the first game.
@  thejohnnygold : (17 April 2016 - 03:52 PM) Good points, Sir Thursday/Mario. I agree that Dwight had some moments in the game. My observation is that he doesn't look interested in getting fired up the way Bev and D-Mo were. I loved watching D-mo and Green go at it and would be fine watching lots more of that.
@  Sir Thursday : (17 April 2016 - 11:16 AM) Ariza had a very slow start to the game - they need him firing offensively to stand a chance.

Photo

On the Dwight Howard trade rumors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

New post: On the Dwight Howard trade rumors
    By: Rahat Huq

• I maintain still that Dwight Howard isn't going anywhere.  The Rockets will make inquiries and test the market.  And they've likely told the big man that they won't be offering him the max this summer, and that he and his agent are free to test the market now and contact suitors to see if anyone else might be more willing.  He'll get a harsh dose of reality when finding he just isn't worth any more than about $20 million a year (oh, the horror!).  And then, the Rockets won't be in any rush to make a deal for any of the garbage offers that seem to be on the table.
    • Now none of this means that Howard will be back with the team next October.  He could fly the coop this summer and sign somewhere else for about the same money, but with maybe a better chance for winning, or a better chance of being loved.  The point here is that Houston won't be rushed into making a deal where they get back nothing of value when they know no one else will offer Howard more money than the amount they are willing to give.
    • The caveat here is if, moreso than the money, Howard just simply hates playing with James Harden.  And who could blame him?  We've all played pickup with the immensely talented guy who monopolizes the ball, and gives lesser than desired effort at the other end.  You can never really say anything to him because him shooting is by far the best chance for your team to win - but no one wants to play with him.  You'd much rather play with the guy who isn't as good, but spreads it around and lets everyone be a part of the offense.  Playing with that guy in turn makes you play harder, and as a sum, makes the whole team better.  Everyone reading this right now has an image of that guy, unless you are that guy, and in that case, reflect and seek reformation.
    • Dan Fegan's return to the news with the recent Dwight Howard speculation brings to mind the many words I penned over the course of the past few years in ranting about fiduciary duties and ethics.  The agent power game in the NBA is a curious one, where a not insignificant percentage of a player's salary (the range of 2%) is doled over in turn for representation that, in the era of scaled contracts, really isn't necessary.  Where really is the benefit to Howard in having Fegan, the latter of whom is able to parlay the power from pulling the strings on a client like Howard into a favorable situation for lesser clients like Chandler Parsons?  The whole thing is really an absurd construct where the guys at the top are paying for the guys at the bottom, unknowingly, and, it could be argued, against their interests.  It's just a dirty business.
    • The name I've tossed around that makes sense, but which hasn't been linked in any official "rumors", is Kevin Love and the Cavaliers.  To desire Dwight Howard, a team must a) not already have a center and b) either already be a contender or feel that it is on the brink of relevance.  Factor 'A' is what precludes all of the major contenders in the West, and factor 'B' is why teams like Boston, Charlotte, and Washington have been linked.  Those latter East teams feel they have a chance to break through in the wide-open East and, if not getting all the way to the Finals, at the least advancing deeper in the postseason (and being able to sell more season tickets for 2017).  Charlotte and Washington have crap to offer, and in the case of Boston, why trade valuable young pieces like Avery Bradley, Crowder, or Marcus Smart, when you can probably just sign Howard outright in the summer if you choose?  The distinction with Cleveland is that they're on a timeline, and that they may need to trade Love anyway.  Aside from the fact that Trevor Ariza isn't really even good anymore defensively (shhhh!  let's keep that secret to ourselves at least for another week), a Love/Mozgov for Howard/Ariza trade makes so much sense for both sides that I don't know how it hasn't yet happened.  Cleveland, at this point, has little use for either player, favoring lineups with Tristan Thompson as the primary big.  The Cavs also are right there on the cusp, without the benefit of time; they can't waste a single year of what's left of Lebron's prime.  Howard would fortify their defense in a way Thompson can't, with Ariza (in theory, if they aren't watching and going on reputation) would be one more long-armed perimeter defender to throw at the Warriors.  For the Rockets, getting back Love would represent maximum return on Howard's value, and some hope of synergy with James Harden's abilities.  There is of course the obvious question: if the Cavs were to deem Love unplayable, why would Houston build their team from a similar starting point of fatal flaw?  As I wrote last week, maybe just building the best team you can, and hanging around--especially with a superstar as young as Harden--is the best course of action?  When I tweeted the suggestion of a Love trade earlier, several of you responded emphatically that it would be "idiotic" to deal away the team's two best defenders for a terrible one.  That sentiment is awfully short-sighted and entirely misses the point.  Dealing Howard represents a capitulation on the season altogether; such a deal wouldn't be made with title hopes for 2016 in mind.  That ship, in this case, would've sailed.  Such a deal would represent a hope for recoupment of value and an attempt to set a foundation for the next era.
    • Having said the above, I maintain the belief that Howard will be a Houston Rocket come February 19th.

#2 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 332 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:56 PM

I estimate a team would have to pay approx $11 million for Howard for the remaining 28 games (more or less). Houston has paid most of the $22 mil salary this year......so it would be about 7.6 mil + 15% trade kicker (I put it as 15% of $22 mil). I thought Miami might pull the trigger; but now Bosh may have another blood clot situation. Howard will probably leave this summer and the reward will be his money coming off the books. I don't think the Rockets want to take a chance of Howard opting in to next season and collecting $23 mil. It's my belief that if the Rockets re-sign Howard to a max deal.....it would have to be structured as $30 mil the 1st season with gradual increases to the point where D12 would make $40 mil/season at about age 35 (end of a 5 yr deal). Rockets won't do it!! Should not do it!! D12 needs to come to terms with the reality. Recently Dwight was quoted saying he needs to work on 3 point shooting; because space and pace is all the rave. Maybe he is coming to terms with it? Warriors are wise "only" spending $12 mil on Bogut. Pachulia in Dallas $5.2 mil. Spend cheap on centers is the way to go. Thunder claim they may use Durant at center to counter the Warriors, "small-ball" lineup.

Edited by Jatman20, 16 February 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 423 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

If we're going to trade for Love, why not go all-in on offense? We're terrible at defense anyway, so try to construct a holy terror on offense. Swap Mozgov for sweet-shooting power forward (Ryan Anderson?) and just rain from 3 point land. We give up what, 104 points per 100 possessions anyway? How much worse could it get with Love and Anderson manning the middle? Not too mention we'd still have Capela when the matchups were right. 

Or, trade for a bunch of offensive-minded players and then sign Thibs as the coach. Maybe the talent on offense would be enough to score 100+ points a game while Thibs' scheme would allow us to not be a complete sieve on defense. 

Do I really think this would work? No. But at least it might be an entertaining team. 

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,429 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

I estimate a team would have to pay approx $11 million for Howard for the remaining 28 games (more or less). Houston has paid most of the $22 mil salary this year......so it would be about 7.6 mil + 15% trade kicker (I put it as 15% of $22 mil). I thought Miami might pull the trigger; but now Bosh may have another blood clot situation. Howard will probably leave this summer and the reward will be his money coming off the books. I don't think the Rockets want to take a chance of Howard opting in to next season and collecting $23 mil. It's my belief that if the Rockets re-sign Howard to a max deal.....it would have to be structured as $30 mil the 1st season with gradual increases to the point where D12 would make $40 mil/season at about age 35 (end of a 5 yr deal). Rockets won't do it!! Should not do it!! D12 needs to come to terms with the reality. Recently Dwight was quoted saying he needs to work on 3 point shooting; because space and pace is all the rave. Maybe he is coming to terms with it? Warriors are wise "only" spending $12 mil on Bogut. Pachulia in Dallas $5.2 mil. Spend cheap on centers is the way to go. Thunder claim they may use Durant at center to counter the Warriors, "small-ball" lineup.

I hadn't really thought about Houston wanting to trade Howard to avoid the possibility that he does opt in this Summer.  That is an interesting thought.

#5 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 423 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

I think our best case scenario is he does opt-in, assuming we don't blow things up. One more year of late prime Dwight, one last run at a championship. If he opts out, we're either going to have to pay him a ton for a long time, or let him go for nothing. Someone is going to have the cap space to pay him 20 mil/yr, maybe even on a shorter deal. And if he opts-in, we get one more year to develop Capela with another true center on the roster. 

#6 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 332 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:06 AM

If Dwight opts in.....it's my humble opinion Durant to Houston becomes zero chance. Those in Houston don't seem to understand how disliked Howard is. I'm from South Texas and I see the dislike every day. I see the stories of how nice a guy D12 is in the community. Buying sweet bread or pastries for all the patrons when visiting a bakery or buying pizzas for all those in the pizza establishment while he visits. Dwight is a great guy....nice as can be signing autographs and visiting clinics and hospitals. The media has ostracized Dwight to the point he is the most hated player in the league. Delavadova was voted dirtiest player; but I would be willing to bet D12 would be voted the most hated with Barnes not far behind. Is it fair? No, but fair or not fair, Dwight is disliked. Durant won't join the Rockets with Howard there. Paying $23 mil also makes it tough. Rockets claim they have put Howard's name out there for a couple months to gauge the interest now and for the summer. Few are interested.....not just because he will be a rental; but because Big Men are less relevant now-a-days. I know the rule of thumb is you hold on to 7 footers as if they are Gold, because there are so few 7 footers in the world. You can't teach speed and height. Things are changing in the NBA. Wings are the hot commodity now. Popovich came on TV today saying he has never spent so much time studying a team as he has the Warriors......he still can't figure out how to beat them. I think McHale got fired for the same reason. Old school thinking. You have to have a conventional center and a conventional PF.....blah, blah, blah. I'm in my 40's and I'm as old school as you get. I don't like change; but even I see the writing on the wall. More 6'7" and 6'8" guys matter to a greater extent now.
            Now thanks to old school guys like Pat Riley and Michael Jordan.....Dwight still might have some value. What if Howard sees the interest or lack there of and gets cold feet......his agent tells him all the GM's are telling him they won't offer a max deal to an aging center whose skills have diminished and the injuries keep occurring. 3-4 year deal starting at $15 mil the first year may be the best they can do. The average salary for centers may play against Howard at this time. Why is LeBron trying to bring in an Ariza, McLemore or Melo while shipping out Mosgov and Love? Shumpert is making $9 mil/yr and shooting poorly....also may be getting the boot. If you can't match up with the Warriors small lineup, then you are done. Cavs can compete this year vs the Warriors with LeBron/Melo/J.R. Smith/Shumpert/Irving (insert Ariza or maybe McLemore in place of Melo). Spurs are also looking for a 3 and D wing. They could match the Warriors with: Diaw/Leonard/Danny Green/Ginobli....but can they win with Parker or Jonathan Simmons? A proven wing like Korver could put them over the top. Korver could probably get his DRtg down to 105 with the Spurs. Thunder claim they may use Durant/Westbrook/Cameron Payne/Anthony Morrow/Waiters. Can they beat the Warriors with the defense of the last 3 mentioned? Quick tidbit....if Durant goes to the Warriors in the offseason. It's game over for all other teams. Teams will fight for second place for the next 4 years to come. A distant second place. If I know Popovich he is going to set Duncan at the free throw line where he will get the pass only to quickly pass it to Aldridge fighting for position under the rim for a quick score. That allows Duncan a head start getting back on the defensive end. Aldridge will make many....but will miss some. Those missed will be gang rebounded by the Warriors and turned into a 5 on 3 fast break. Someone will be open for 3. The Warriors shoot 42.5% from 3 as a team. Almost what teams shoot from the field.

Edited by Jatman20, 17 February 2016 - 02:15 AM.

#7 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 332 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:36 AM

At the risk of people complaining that I'm comparing Howard to J.R. Smith: J.R. Smith opted out of his $6.4 mil player option last summer. He thought he was a hot commodity. He now regrets it ($5 mil now). One can YouTube Durant calling D12 the P word. 11/17/14 game where Durant was on the sidelines. Word is they talked and buried the hatchet this past summer in L.A.. But I'm not buying Durant likes Howard now.

Edited by Jatman20, 17 February 2016 - 02:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users