Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Willk : (11 February 2016 - 06:02 AM) JBB is the worst coach in the league. Morey get out of the office and coach the team since you are really the coach of this team
@  thejohnnygold : (11 February 2016 - 05:10 AM) Sorry guys, I clearly jinxed us :(
@  thejohnnygold : (11 February 2016 - 04:17 AM) Really like what JB has cooked up for our offense through first quarter and a half. Maybe there is hope :)
@  slick shoes : (10 February 2016 - 01:54 PM) At least we didn't get embarrassed again?
@  Mario Peña : (10 February 2016 - 04:19 AM) The invisible defense is in full effect.
@  majik19 : (09 February 2016 - 09:23 PM) with the bizarro Rockets, we'll probably somehow win tonight
@  slick shoes : (09 February 2016 - 03:15 PM) GS will enjoy a nice 30 point cushion for the majority of the game and after clearing both benches, our 2nd unit will make things "respectable" again.
@  Sir Thursday : (07 February 2016 - 05:16 PM) Still a depressing loss though :(.
@  Sir Thursday : (07 February 2016 - 05:16 PM) I thought the defence looked a lot better once we put a proper big man in rather than playing Ariza at the 4. Ariza was consistently late on the rotation against the pick-and-roll, but genuine big men tend to have better instincts about snuffing that sort of thing out. I think Harrell and Capela did a good job when put in that role.
@  DenverRocket : (05 February 2016 - 02:38 AM) I thought we'd seen the worst of it this season, but that Q1 ranks up there with it!
@  slick shoes : (04 February 2016 - 06:54 PM) DMo is back from the D-League. Might see some big minutes from him tonight.
@  Sir Thursday : (03 February 2016 - 11:51 PM) TJ was in a car accident on the way to the airport according to Feigen. Hope it wasn't anything too serious...
@  Cooper : (03 February 2016 - 09:49 PM) Crowder would be great
@  slick shoes : (03 February 2016 - 07:33 PM) I read that too but can't imagine what they could offer in return other than draft picks (which we have none of for this years draft).
@  majik19 : (03 February 2016 - 06:50 PM) Calvin Watkins said something about a potential Dwight Howard to Boston trade... but haven't seen any other details on that.
@  slick shoes : (02 February 2016 - 03:38 PM) the point: it seems you have missed it lol
@  thenit : (02 February 2016 - 06:23 AM) well its not really a snub when you aren't deserving
@  thejohnnygold : (02 February 2016 - 12:13 AM) Hopefully he is more concerned about our W's and L's right now than another All-Star game. His body could use the rest and I'm guessing he will be glad to kick back and enjoy watching from home.
@  slick shoes : (01 February 2016 - 09:45 PM) I wasn't really asking if YOU thought he was a snub. I was wondering how Dwight feels about it.
@  thenit : (30 January 2016 - 03:45 AM) Honestly D12 is like the 8th best big man in the west.

Photo

Portland Trail Blazers 116, Houston Rockets 103: 9th seed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

New post: Portland Trail Blazers 116, Houston Rockets 103: 9th seed
    By: Paul McGuire

At the two-thirds points in this season, it is clear that the Rockets just are who they are. They have been complacent for much of the season, and the chemistry which defined this team last year is completely and totally gone, as Jason Terry so kindly observed after this game.

Everyone knows the problems which have afflicted the Rockets at this point. The Portland Trail Blazers are nowhere as talented as the Rockets. But they are better coached, work together, and can actually pass the ball without turning it over. And when the Rockets actually made things close down the stretch, it was a bunch of turnovers which created a Portland run to seal the game.

But how could a team which has remained largely the same collapse in cohesion and teamwork so much? I think the difference is the narratives which surrounded the 2014-15 Rockets as well as the 2015-16 Rockets.

The 2014-15 Rockets had been upset by the Blazers in the first round, then lost Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lin, and Omer Asik in the offseason. They were a common sleeper pick to miss the playoffs before that season started, especially if Dwight Howard or James Harden got injured. And then Howard did get injured.

The Rockets rallied against those expectations, and then hustled and worked to get as far as they did. The Blazers this season have done the same thing. But after last year's success, the Rockets and Harden as a whole got complacent and assumed that they would not to work as hard anymore - even while last year's actual champions took the narrative of "they were just lucky" and used it to push themselves to even higher levels.

There are other issues beyond mere complacency which Rockets fans saw tonight. I don't get why Coach Bickerstaff moved away from the Capela-Howard starting lineup which the Rockets used for most of this season, and why they are starting Brewer in Capela's place. Houston has had problems with defensive rebounding all season long, and the Blazers grabbed 16 offensive boards off of their 48 missed shots. It is not like Brewer provides spacing, although he did go 2-4 from the three point line tonight.

Perhaps Bickerstaff thinks that the quicker Brewer can provide some hustle. But if that is the case, then why not Montrezl Harrell? Harrell provides nothing but hustle and a willingness to try which this Houston team has desperately needed all season long. And while Josh Smith was not good tonight ( three three-pointers in six minutes?!), I do think that smallball has not worked for the Rockets. At all. The Rockets have the deficiencies of small ball in that they give up rebounds and lack a presence in the paint without the advantages of better three-point shooting and passing.

And then there is the bench problem. I still think that the Howard-Harden duo can work given the right supporting cast. But it cannot work if the bench is going to be outscored night after night, never mind being outscored 33-17 like they were against the Blazers. When Houston's best bench scorer is the wildly inconsistent Marcus Thornton, while Meyers Leonard just outbigged whatever Houston threw against him, it is clear that this situation has to change.

There were flashes when Houston actually looked like a good team, such as the beginning of the game or when they made a furious run to come within 5 points of the Blazers. But let us be honest. Even the 76ers have stretches where they look like a professional basketball team. Stretches don't matter. It is the ability to be consistently good which separates the bad teams from the good, and the good teams from the Warriors. Which does not describe the Houston Rockets at all.

It is what it is. The Houston Rockets are in the 9th seed. And more likely than not, things are going to get worse before they get better.

If they get better, that is.

#2 Willk

Willk

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 430 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

I am so sick of JBB. What was he thinking today? The rockets close the gap to 5 with Harrell and Capela providing the spark and then JBB takes both them out. Of course when Dwight and Trevor Ariza returned the Blazers went on a run to finish off the game. I zero confidence in Morey's ability to find a coach. An outside consulting firm needs to be hired to handle the hiring of the next coach. JBB and Dwight both need to shown the door.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,325 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

I am so sick of JBB. What was he thinking today? The rockets close the gap to 5 with Harrell and Capela providing the spark and then JBB takes both them out. Of course when Dwight and Trevor Ariza returned the Blazers went on a run to finish off the game. I zero confidence in Morey's ability to find a coach. An outside consulting firm needs to be hired to handle the hiring of the next coach. JBB and Dwight both need to shown the door.

First, kudos to the Red94 writing staff.  I can only imagine the pain of continually putting into words the disappointment of watching this "team".

Second, I don't see how Dwight gets knocked for this loss.  He put together a pretty solid night and that -24 in the +/- has very little to do with his play on either end.  I only recall three times that I felt Dwight messed up on defense.  I thought he played really well.  Dwight should have been given the ball more.  He was destroying them.

I thought JBB did some good work in setting up Howard to get the ball deep in the post as often as possible.  I don't see how it is JBB's fault that we have bad outside shooters, lazy defense, and lazy passing.  That's on the players.  

Turnovers.  20 turnovers.  Bad defense.  Bad defense everywhere.

Ty Lawson is possibly the worst use of $12M in the history of the world excluding government work.  Josh Smith needs playing time to be useful--that's just the type of player he is.  6 minutes is what he got  :blink:  This I put on JBB...what is the reasoning behind this?

#4 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
      • Pip
      • 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

I agree, I thought Dwight played well for the most part last night. However, it's also painfully clear that neither Dwight nor Harden is a true leader. They both spoke about it before last season after Parsons left and to some degree embraced those roles. Whatever happened (or didn't happen) this off-season has killed the chemistry and seemingly their desire to be leaders. Leaders, of course, lead by example, take responsibility and create a culture/atmosphere of accountability - on this team there simply is no accountability! There is no true leader.

The Portland fast-break bucket from a Dwight Howard free throw (!?!?!?) is a prime example. How one earth does a professional, coached basketball team allow an easy transition bucket from a SET PLAY? It's inconceivable! I haven't seen a replay, but it seemed that Brewer was the stay back/cover guy got sucked back toward the Portland basket by his guy, allowing someone (McCollum or Harkless, I think) to leak out with absolutely no one (I'm guessing it should have been Harden) following. The reaction by JBB just exemplifies the lack of accountability - Brewer runs back and says something to him, JBB nods in agreement and then says nothing to anyone.

Whatever anyone wants to say about McHale's coaching ability, he did at least demand a modicum of respect from the players. JBB just doesn't - yes they'll pay him lip service as a great guy etc..., but he just doesn't have the respect needed to instill some accountability. It was fine last season, when everything was going well, but now the chips are down, we see the true measure of the supposed leaders. Harden simply can't accept that the team isn't better than the record suggests - every interview he claims, "we just need to work through it, we'll be OK" - he has an innate belief in his own ability but doesn't seem to realize that his ability alone isn't enough. Dwight is indeed, as Kobe rightly stated, just a big cuddly teddy bear - he wants to be the alpha dog, but he just isn't.

If the current status quo remains, we might just scrape into the play-offs, but we also might not - I'd say it's 50/50 (pretty much like our record). I'd love to have heard the reported conversation between Morey and Harden/Howard after the game. I'd be shocked if something major doesn't change with this team before the trade deadline.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,325 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

I would also love to have heard that conversation.  If Morey makes a move it will likely be Dwight, but I believe it should be Harden.

I know nobody likes it, but I will return to my comparison of James Harden to Gilbert Arenas.  Go look at Arenas' numbers during his peak years in the mid '00's and compare to Harden--both the good and the bad.  They have experienced similar playoff (lack of) success.  They are both a little kooky personality-wise.

Heck, they even use a similar metaphor...

quote-the-hibachi-is-coming-to-a-city-ne

I don't know if Morey can trade Harden (for a multitude of reasons), but I think if he did it would be the right move.  Dwight is not the problem here.  Hibachi Harden is.  Sorry to say it.  He's an incredible singular talent on offense, but it ends there.  Maybe there is a coach, a system, or another player that can turn him around.  At this point, I wouldn't bet on it.

#6 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
        • Pip
        • 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree and doubt it happens. Despite his flaws, Harden is the all-star, he is younger, he is less injury prone (fingers crossed) and is locked up contractually for a couple more seasons. Add to that his friendship with Durant and it's pretty much impossible to contemplate trading him (it would take steel balls the size of the death star to do so, if you were Morey).

Dwight is an easy scapegoat, given his past history. Interesting to see him come out and state that "he" hasn't requested a trade and doesn't want to run away - he knows what people are going to say when the inevitable happens.

It's just a question of what Morey can get for him, IMO.

#7 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 472 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

can anyone provide an abridgment? link

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#8 Willk

Willk

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 430 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

First, kudos to the Red94 writing staff.  I can only imagine the pain of continually putting into words the disappointment of watching this "team".

Second, I don't see how Dwight gets knocked for this loss.  He put together a pretty solid night and that -24 in the +/- has very little to do with his play on either end.  I only recall three times that I felt Dwight messed up on defense.  I thought he played really well.  Dwight should have been given the ball more.  He was destroying them.

I thought JBB did some good work in setting up Howard to get the ball deep in the post as often as possible.  I don't see how it is JBB's fault that we have bad outside shooters, lazy defense, and lazy passing.  That's on the players.  

Turnovers.  20 turnovers.  Bad defense.  Bad defense everywhere.

Ty Lawson is possibly the worst use of $12M in the history of the world excluding government work.  Josh Smith needs playing time to be useful--that's just the type of player he is.  6 minutes is what he got  :blink:  This I put on JBB...what is the reasoning behind this?

I agree about Lawson. He is stealing money at this point.

Dwight was good in the 1st quarter. After that, he did not play well at all. He was getting out hustled on the defensive end. He also, refused to contest any shots except for the one he decided to goal tend. Finally, Howard decided not box out at all (I am starting to believe that Morey does not believe in boxing out because nobody has done it the last 3 years). That is why Portland got so many offensive rebounds. Howards 24/13 were more misleading then his team worst -24 net rating.

JBB may have called some good plays for Howard in the 1st quarter, but he messed in major way in the 2nd. Like I advised earlier, Harrell and Capela provided a spark to the Rockets at the end of the 3rd quarter. Howard exited the game at the 2:45 mark of the 3rd quarter. The score was 86-69. By the end of the 3rd quarter, Harden/Harrell/Capela/Thornton/Terry got the score to within 11 (92-81). At 9:26 in the 4th quarter, the same 5 got the score down to 93-88. Portland calls a TO. Those 5 only gave up 1 offensive rebound while on the court together. For some unknown reason, JBB pulls Capela and inserts Howard. Portland scores immediately and Dwight steps over the line on an inbound pass for a TO. JBB removes Harrell. Portland then goes on to out score Houston 23-15 the rest of the way. How is this good coaching??? Harrell and Capela were controlling the boards, something Howard was not doing. Despite the TOs and not getting back on D, the Rockets still had a chance to win this game, but JBB blew it by taking out the players who got the team back in the game. 

#9 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 472 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

Everyone here realizes that we do NOT have a first round pick this year UNLESS we don't make the playoffs right? That if we end up dealing DH12, then we NEED that pick.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#10 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 688 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree and doubt it happens. Despite his flaws, Harden is the all-star, he is younger, he is less injury prone (fingers crossed) and is locked up contractually for a couple more seasons. Add to that his friendship with Durant and it's pretty much impossible to contemplate trading him (it would take steel balls the size of the death star to do so, if you were Morey).

Dwight is an easy scapegoat, given his past history. Interesting to see him come out and state that "he" hasn't requested a trade and doesn't want to run away - he knows what people are going to say when the inevitable happens.

It's just a question of what Morey can get for him, IMO.

Harden may be an all-star and so is Melo and so was Arenas and plenty of other amazing offensive players with poor D and attitude. 

If Durant is really close to Harden, he probably is aware of the limitations of his friend. Its been almost 3 years now and the D and leadership has not improved at all. Look at other players around the same age who are being a better leader right now and shown improvements. 

Harden has developed an amazing game on one side, but doesn't even try. Also Kevin Mchale said Harden came into camp out of shape. Thats just unacceptable from a guy who wants to win a title. I'm fed up with him, he is seeking fame to feed his ego. I can't see him winning a championship unless he is the 3rd banana.

#11 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
              • Pip
              • 29 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

Harden may be an all-star and so is Melo and so was Arenas and plenty of other amazing offensive players with poor D and attitude. 

If Durant is really close to Harden, he probably is aware of the limitations of his friend. Its been almost 3 years now and the D and leadership has not improved at all. Look at other players around the same age who are being a better leader right now and shown improvements. 

Harden has developed an amazing game on one side, but doesn't even try. Also Kevin Mchale said Harden came into camp out of shape. Thats just unacceptable from a guy who wants to win a title. I'm fed up with him, he is seeking fame to feed his ego. I can't see him winning a championship unless he is the 3rd banana.

I don't disagree with any of that, and I think we are all a little bit fed up with him right now. The point someone else made on one of these threads is that if Morey gives up on him now, we could well be waiting another 5 years or more before we can realistically challenge for a championship (like Denver with Melo). It isn't going to happen.

The usage stats that have been trotted out, aren't ALL of his own doing - I doubt he demands to be given the ball that much in ISO situations in training/practice/prep - a lot of that has to go on Morey and the coaches AND his teammates. It's just excruciating at times seeing the likes of T-Jones, Bev etc.. unwilling to do anything other than try and get the ball in James hands at the top of the key and not look for any other alternative. So the coaches tell them to do it and they don't have the nouse to look for an alternative if he's covered up. It's get the ball into James hands at all costs. The only one one who seems willing to do something else if that play isn't viable is Ariza.

Harden asked for another ball-handler after the play-off exit last season, to take some of the pressure off him. We got Lawson, who looks like a rabbit in headlights every time he catches the ball  anywhere outside the three point line. Failed experiment.

I agree that Harden does need another elite player that he is willing to defer to, someone that he respects as an equal and someone that is willing to lead the team more vocally and demand accountability. That clearly isn't Dwight.

#12 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 688 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

He asked for a secondary ballhandler but his ego or unwillingness to share the ball showed from the get go. He didn't defer to Lawson, not saying it would have made the trade a success. Its the fact that he didn't even defer at all to Lawson. He could have said to Ty, you go get yours and you will have the ball in your hands and do your thing. But from the first game he never deferred and Ty was reluctant to cause and waves. 

Its that fact that he cant even relinquish any of the responsibility. I would have been more understanding if he deferred and it didn't work out and he took over the reigns but he didn't even try ! How do you think other NBA players think or talk amongst themselves? If I see that I wouldn't want to play with him. 

The perception of this team reflects your best player and leadership. Right now we are probably on the lower spectrum for prospective FAs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users