Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

The Houston Rockets are absolutely terrible

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:47 AM

New post: The Houston Rockets are absolutely terrible
    By: Rahat Huq

Through 18 games, the Houston Rockets are 7-11.  They're 20th in offense and 27th in defense.  They're 26th in field goal percentage, and, despite leading the league in attempts, are 29th in three-point-percentage.  They're just a very bad basketball team, at this point in time.  What happened to get to this point?

In Episode 86 of The Red94 Podcast, Forrest Walker and I agreed that a good man was fired without fault.  This team's flaws go beyond Kevin McHale.  He was never a great tactician, but the team enjoyed great success in spite of that.  This year, the team hit rock bottom.  Still, if the selling point behind McHale was that he was a 'player's coach', once he lost the lockerroom, his time ran up.  There was no longer any reason for keeping him on.

What transpired in November is one of the most baffling months I can remember as a fan of this team.  With a roster stacked two-deep at each position, and a returning core fresh off a conference finals appearance, this team entered the season poised to seriously compete for the title.  Suddenly, the same unimaginative offense of years past has produced underwhelming results, with both James Harden and the shooters surrounding him going completely ice cold.  The defense has been downright embarrassing.  Were Josh Smith and Donatas Motiejunas that critical?

Ty Lawson has made Scottie Pippen's stint in Houston look successful by comparison, with the former star on the verge of outright being pushed completely from the rotation.  As I mused the other night, when watching Lawson stand in the corner like a glorified Matt Maloney, one wonders if this coaching staff had even a semblance of a plan for synthesis into this offense.  It is almost as if, upon the acquisition, they thought, "great!  a secondary ballhandler!  That's what we needed!  Now let's throw him onto the court so he secondarily ball handles!" with not even an afterthought given towards integration.

Les Alexander held nothing back in voicing his displeasure with his team's performance, but how must Daryl Morey feel watching this train-wreck unfold?  As a reader noted, Morey spent the greater part of his career leading up to this point, in building this team.  He inherited the flawed McGrady-Yao foundation, only to watch it crumble with injuries.  Then, in years in purgatory before stealing James Harden, and then Dwight Howard.  Then more time before finding the supporting pieces in Ariza/Brewer (with Motiejunas/Jones/Beverley already in the fold).  And then Lawson this summer as the final piece, the elusive third star.  Two-deep at every position.  And now, only to watch it all crumble, again prematurely at a crossroads.  Will he have to tear it all down before it ever bears fruit?  What a cruel ending it would be.

As I asked the other night, how much longer must this continue until Morey cuts bait and guts the team, dangling Dwight Howard in trade talks before his impending free agency?  At 7-11, Houston still sits just two back in the loss column of the eighth seed; in the West, this was the right year to suck.  I don't know that there's much market for Howard, at least not anything worth the opportunity cost of seeing this thing through.  And outside of Howard, there isn't much else of value on this roster to flip a significant trade.  Terrence Jones will be a free agent as well and I'm not sure you'd even want to trade Clint Capela if the plan were to start over anew.

Some readers last night, in frustration, endorsed trading James Harden, a sentiment which can be easy to get behind given The Beard's pathetic effort levels of late.  But cooler heads must prevail.  There are greater odds that Harden will eventually mature, either on his own, or by some external influence, in the next three years, than in finding another singular talent of his abilities.  Need I remind this fanbase of the Kevin Martin years?  Ask Danny Ainge and Celtic fans how long it can take to acquire a top-tier talent if you already forgot.

To that end, Houston has to see this through.  There isn't enough upside to hitting restart.  If Howard walks, then he walks.  For now, just two games back, the Rockets have to focus on incremental improvement.  They'll have to hope Donatas Motiejunas' imminent return can provide a stabilizing force inside.  They'll have to finally hit shots.  The season is far from over and sheer probability dictates that at some point, career norms will resurface.  How can every player on a team suddenly go cold all at once?  At some point, they have to regress to the mean, right?

There are long-term problems which will need to be addressed and which deem an in-season hiring most likely prohibitive.  Daryl Morey has gone on record, publicly, in espousing his belief in the relative unimportance of the coach in the NBA environment.  Hopefully, in observing the wild success of teams such as Golden State and Atlanta, and in experiencing the plight of his own club, his tune has changed.  Morey needs to hire someone this summer to whom he can hand over the reins, and over whom he won't so closely dictate basketball policy.  This team needs a shakeup in philosophy - NBA defenses in 2015 are simply far too smart for teams to roll out offenses as unimaginative as the Rockets'.  One man dribbling while four watch cannot be the way, but it will take a full training camp to implement something new.  It may already be a lost cause, but there's simply no reason why James Harden and Ty Lawson cannot thrive together in the same backcourt.

And Harden must change.  For all the lip service provided this summer about playing off the ball, this year has seen the same hogging of past years, even with more capable teammates by his side.  Harden seems to think that in order for his team to win, he must do more, when in actuality, if he took a step back (no pun intended), he might allow other players to get more comfortable.  Playing off the ball would make him more efficient, and actually give Lawson utility.  When will James Harden realize that there are other ways to contribute than just scoring on the basketball court?  He could try actually asserting effort in any other avenue.  The next coach, whoever it is, will have to be someone who can get through to Harden and challenge him professionally.  Whatever pride there was last season, after the Olympic experience, is gone, and Harden is back to his old ways.

#2 Lucas Daniel Uribe

Lucas Daniel Uribe

• Members
    • Pip
    • 26 posts
    • LocationTygh Valley, OR

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

Everything you have stated in this article is absolutely Correct. Harden his back to his old ways, he plays NO DEFENSE expect on the Post/Block. How can the Rockets employ a strategy of 3 Pointers when everyone on our roster are horrible three point shooters, I mean shooting below 40%-35%? This team is hot garbage & it all starts with James. During the Off-Season, during an interview he was asked how do you feel about playing off the Ball? He said that he hoped not to do A LOT of Running. That tells me that he wants the ball in his HANDS EVERY Possession. I doubt he will ever mature, especially when he messing w/ a Kardashian. smh. Trades are going to make this team better? I doubt it. #Rockets

#3 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 209 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

I wish it was just James' poor defensive effort that was the issue with this defense. If only it were that simple. Every single player has been poor on that end excluding maybe Dwight, Capela, and Ariza. Everyone has been getting beat down the court. Maybe they see Harden slacking and think they can slack themselves? I don't know that seems awfully unprofessional for a team littered with veterans. Is it a scheme issue? It's essentially the same scheme we had last year right? 

I honestly believe the main difference between last year and this year is the D. It is extremely difficult, especially for us, to score efficiently when you are getting the ball out of your own net every time. We have never had an extremely efficient half court offense, but made up for it with creating chaos on the defensive side which turned into easy baskets. Where did that go? Did we just lose the identity that got us to where we were last season? I don't worry about the offensive side of the ball. Yes it is pretty bad, but you can't win consistently in this league giving up 107.9 points per game. Even if you have the best offense in the league. Until we start fighting on the defensive side of the ball, and start holding opponents under 100 points (I'm really setting the bar high here :rolleyes: ), we are not going to be able to right this ship. I can see it, I know all of you all can see it, the coaching staff has to be able to see it, and eventually the players (mainly you James) have to realize it. 

#4 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 678 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

It's not only James fault, but it derives from the fact that we are basically playing 4 on 5 with the way he is playing on D right now.

Compound it with not having Bev next to him and a Bev who is not the same, you have 2 wing defenders that are very poor. This exacerbates our defensive woes by forcing the bigs to rotate and therefore losing their positioning. Either they stay back or commit, its a lose-lose situation for our bigs. 

Last year when Bev went down and we played Terry and Prigs on the PG position it worked because you had Harden playing average or above average defence. The bigs didn't have to rotate or get out of position as often. This is tiresome and I can see how our bigs can either get frustrated or lose focus because they are left to die. It irks me when your best player who believes he is the best player in the league, can't even understand from the results last year that he needs to keep it up, but instead reverts back to "I'm going to win the scoring title, and MVP by outscoring the others" not realizing that he will never gain respect by his peers by doing this.

Look at Lebron, he could go all out and just score and win the scoring title and MVP by being more selfish, but he is smart enough to save himself for the playoffs, rely on others and then take over in the 4th and playoffs. He plays D and leads by example, Harden did that last year, but it feels like his ego got the better of him with his Adidas deal, fame and accolades.

To me he is going the route of becoming the next generation Melo, winning scoring titles but never sniffs at a championship. 

#5 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 723 posts
      • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

Here's a thought: what if we stop pretending Harden is a SG and lock him at PG? Trade all the "PG who are not handling the ball" for SG who provide an uptick in 3 point shooting and more size, making James guard the opposing PG. The logic there is prevent him from ball watching and back door cuts, he is not that bad one on one. It's infuriating how many guys have had career nights against us, most of them play SG....go figure.

I hope Morey has something lined up for the deadline....we are spending 11.4 million on Brewer/McDaniels, 12.4 on Lawson. Those are 23.8 million we could be spending on something useful. You could also attach 2.4 from Jones as well....I'm not willing to give up on Lawson yet, and it's not like anyone would give us a star in exchange for those 3 pieces, but I'm sure there must be a plan B lined up for december when free agent contracts are tradeable.

Offense feeds from defense, but defense feeds from offense as well. It's the chicken and the egg, who comes first? Most point out that we are lacking in defense, which is true. The only major issue I have is the way we rebound: we give up soooo many rebounds, it's frustrating. When Howard (or Capela, to a lesser degree) goes for the block, nobody boxes out behind him. But we need to start making shots, that's the deal. If the ball goes in, nobody is moody, nobody is mad at someone for missing an open shot, and certainly, nobody wants to run like hell back every time we take a shot. And that starts with Harden. Not the fact that he is playing PG, is that his only moves are: iso until 5 seconds left and throw a low pass to someone who has to gather and take an awkward shot, drive to the basket with 15% intention of actually taking a shot, or jab a little and take a step back jumper. WE NEED SOME ACTION AROUND HIM, some screening, someone who actually runs around screens to get open shots (that's why I think we need a new starting SG and stop pretending Harden isn't the PG nominally as well).

As soon as shots start falling into the net, we'll be better at defense. Not just the transition points, but also the psychological part of actually scoring consistently, not sprinting back and forth for nothing.

#6 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 167 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

It is very frustrating to see a talented team of individuals not playing as a team.

James Harden is an AWFUL leader - so is Howard, the single biggest issue is that we have a headless team - there is not a single leader out there that can hold players accountable.

Either that is the coach, or a savvy veteran player that has the respect of the team.

And Les Alexander going the CHEAP route in keeping Bickerstaff as the coach, is throwing away the season.

Morey built this team - it is his mess to clean up - and his lack of value for coaching and chemistry are hard lessons he needs to learn.

He is pretty quick at cleaning up his messes though, and sometimes chemistry comes as quickly as it can go.

HURRY UP DMO!!!

DD

#7 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 375 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

Let us all get one thing straight; Harden is a super star and teams can go decades without obtaining a super star. Advocating trading Harden is just nutso, but then we are fans and we do get nutso from time to time. Teams have to be built to hide the weaknesses of their stars and maximize their strenghts. Morey made a strategic blunder this offseason trading for Lawson and letting Smith walk. Lawson cannot help minimize Harden's defensive weaknesses so of course the trade for Lawson was doomed from the start. The only positive is that Lawson cost practically nothing.

I find it worrysome that the Rockets are starting Capela at PF alongside of Howard. This is obviously a move which shows just complete desperation on the part of the Rockets. A front line featuring Howard and Capela with a combined range of seven feet from the rim is not going to give Utah second thoughts against the Rockets, much less Memphis or GS or the Spurs. To the best of my knowledge there has never ever been a successful center – power forward combo tied so closely to the rim. This actually is highly reminiscent of the Howard – Asik pairing. If either Howard or Capela were a great pocket passer it might not be horrible. But that is not happening in either of their lifetimes. Let us just count the ways that such a pairing is absolutely horrendous.

• With no range neither Howard nor Capela can lead their covers away from the paint. Therefore driving lanes for Harden may become almost non-existent.
        • Since neither Howard nor Capela can drag their cover away from the basket the big with the ball is going to have a trivially implemented double team in their face 100% of the time.
        • If the Rockets start shooting better from the perimeter the bigs Howard and Capela can be covered by the oppositions center with 2.9 defensive help from the weak side. This will cut down on the open looks taken by the Rockets wings.

This is Howard – Asik 2.0. The coaching staff is almost as panicked as the fans. I find that worrysome.

#8 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 223 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:10 AM

For the record Rahat Huq I would hold on to Harden, Ariza, Harrell, D-Mo, Capela, K J McDaniels. We should have drafted J Grant (N D). I would listen to offers for D12, T Jones, Bev, Dekker, Brewer, Lawson. Send Jet to our rival Mavericks out of mercy. I wasn't planning on commenting on the Rockets this season in hopes the Rockets would battle for the first or second seed in the west; which would have spoken volumes and not required many words. I'm very disappointed to say the least. 90% of the teams are fighting harder than the Rockets. The Rockets have great talent with no fight = losing ; while the Mavs have little talent, but fight hard = Wins (before last night the Mavs were spotted as the fourth seed). Mr Alexander is paying nearly $89 million in payroll and has dog crap play to show for it. It's unacceptable!!

#9 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
          • Pip
          • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:27 AM

Here's a thought: what if we stop pretending Harden is a SG and lock him at PG? Trade all the "PG who are not handling the ball" for SG who provide an uptick in 3 point shooting and more size, making James guard the opposing PG. The logic there is prevent him from ball watching and back door cuts, he is not that bad one on one. It's infuriating how many guys have had career nights against us, most of them play SG....go figure.

I hope Morey has something lined up for the deadline....we are spending 11.4 million on Brewer/McDaniels, 12.4 on Lawson. Those are 23.8 million we could be spending on something useful. You could also attach 2.4 from Jones as well....I'm not willing to give up on Lawson yet, and it's not like anyone would give us a star in exchange for those 3 pieces, but I'm sure there must be a plan B lined up for december when free agent contracts are tradeable.

Offense feeds from defense, but defense feeds from offense as well. It's the chicken and the egg, who comes first? Most point out that we are lacking in defense, which is true. The only major issue I have is the way we rebound: we give up soooo many rebounds, it's frustrating. When Howard (or Capela, to a lesser degree) goes for the block, nobody boxes out behind him. But we need to start making shots, that's the deal. If the ball goes in, nobody is moody, nobody is mad at someone for missing an open shot, and certainly, nobody wants to run like hell back every time we take a shot. And that starts with Harden. Not the fact that he is playing PG, is that his only moves are: iso until 5 seconds left and throw a low pass to someone who has to gather and take an awkward shot, drive to the basket with 15% intention of actually taking a shot, or jab a little and take a step back jumper. WE NEED SOME ACTION AROUND HIM, some screening, someone who actually runs around screens to get open shots (that's why I think we need a new starting SG and stop pretending Harden isn't the PG nominally as well).

As soon as shots start falling into the net, we'll be better at defense. Not just the transition points, but also the psychological part of actually scoring consistently, not sprinting back and forth for nothing.

#10 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
            • Pip
            • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:28 AM

Respect and agree with this analysis whole heartedly!!!

#11 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
              • Pip
              • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:29 AM

Rockets need another scorer I don't care what the position is we need someone who can get a basket and who will attack!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users