Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 05:38 AM) Not a complete game, but the effort was there, and voila we are at least competitive even when we arent playing well
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 December 2015 - 04:44 AM) Corey Brewer went from being absolutely horrible (whole season) to being the Corey Brewer that we all remember and love (tonight)!
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 03:02 AM) yep and lawson is having his bst game so far in the season
@  slick shoes : (03 December 2015 - 02:53 AM) it's crazy what happens when the rockets play defense.
@  thenit : (03 December 2015 - 01:46 AM) Not looking good after the 1st Q tonight either.
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:56 AM) It doesnt help when Bev looks like he lost a step since the surgery and now we have 2 wing defenders who can't defend. So Bev has become Lin with worse offensive skills and shooting
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM) Thought last year he finally got it by at least exerting effort and by seeing the results he will be even more willing to play a two way game. Sadly I was completely wrong, he is worse than his first year here
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:53 AM) Harden is the new Carmelo, high volume usage, scorer, with no D and effort. Will never win a championship with him
@  thenit : (01 December 2015 - 04:52 AM) Its the curse of the Kardashian clan, seriously though Harden can score 80 and it still be close because he doesn't defend. Too many times he just stands there. Not even trying, fame has gone to his head.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:08 AM) Opps....on us
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 04:07 AM) Rockets have gone Wizard of Oz no us !! No Heart (Harden still looks heartbroken over Chloe), No courage and No Brains (Bickerstaff is less of a coach than McHale at this stage in their careers).
@  majik19 : (01 December 2015 - 03:29 AM) We should've fired Bickerstaff, not McHale. Our defense is killing us.
@  Jatman20 : (01 December 2015 - 02:54 AM) Time to go scorched earth on the Rockets roster!!
@  Cooper : (01 December 2015 - 02:28 AM) on the semi plus side Lawson doesn't look like the absolute worst player in the league.
@  Willk : (01 December 2015 - 01:29 AM) this team needs to be booed from the start of the game to the end of the game during their next home game. This effort is pathetic
@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2015 - 03:32 AM) A mix of really bad and really good tonight, but it was a gutsy comeback!
@  slick shoes : (30 November 2015 - 01:38 AM) that was more of a rhetorical question, but good to see you're on your game ;)
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 7/12 shooting from the field, 8/9 from the line
@  jorgeaam : (29 November 2015 - 08:12 PM) 6, he also had 5 assists and 7 rebounds
@  slick shoes : (29 November 2015 - 05:46 PM) how many treys did Covington bury?

Photo

Houston Rockets 116, New York Knicks 111: DNP-CD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:42 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 116, New York Knicks 111: DNP-CD
    By: Forrest Walker

This incarnation of the Houston Rockets is apparently unbeatable in overtime. Nobody has done it in the last ten tries, and the Rockets simply look in control during overtime periods. In fact, this Houston team turned it on in the fourth quarter against a New York Knicks team that's exceeded expectations all season. The Rockets seem to be finding bits and pieces of that groove that helped them win 56 games last season, and they're doing it with marquee acquisition Ty Lawson on the bench. He didn't play a single minute during Houston's overtime thriller, and worse yet, the team didn't look like they missed him.

The good news is that the Rockets didn't need 30 points from Harden to pull out a victory. He scored a frankly ugly 26 points on 28 shots, including a frustrating 0-7 from deep. If they could find a way to get a little more open and then will those shots in, they would be in a much better situation. In fact, once their effort raised and some open shots started falling, their win looked almost inevitable. The Rockets are facing so many problems right now, that any one of them lessening is a huge boon. The new J.B. Bickerstaff normal is for the team to start out with decent effort on defense, and then lose their will as the offensive end crashes under a pile of missed open shots.

Of course, the team shouldn't be buckling under this sort of pressure to begin with, and that goes all the way to the top. Harden has been better on defense lately, but still isn't at his 2014-2015 benchmark of "good enough." Ty Lawson has also looks abysmal in basically every possible way, leading to a shocking but not really that shocking benching throughout. Whether his issue is personal, team chemistry related or simply an example of Houston's coaching staff being inept, this is an untenable situation. It makes sense to try to recapture last year's team for the time being, but Lawson has to be worked into the system, and soon. This limbo helps no one, least of all Lawson himself.

The highlights of the night were Patrick Beverley and Clint Capela, who are not only playing very well individually (18 and 11 for Capela, a career high in points!) but are developing some nice chemistry that's fun to watch. Capela continues to be a shining beacon of "play within yourself," and he's actually looked great next to Dwight Howard. Given how badly the Rockets play on offense anyway, his lack of spacing hasn't made much of a negative impact. In fact, he's a fantastic garbage man and is always lurking for a roll or a cut to the rim. Beverley has been all too happy to oblige, and he seems to be sinking into his role very nicely. He's shooting as well as anyone on the team so far, and he looks less reckless on both ends of the ball. He seems to be figuring out how to be a solid if not flashy point guard, which is exactly what this Rockets team needs from him. Harden is there to find highlight plays. Beverley just needs to make safe passes, find the cutter, and not turn it over too often.

Dwight Howard also gets major props for dunking on Kristaps Porzingis so hard that the Knicks staff had to search through the baseline seats for pieces of his soul after the game. Howard was once again very good, even finishing a bizarre and hastily assembled reverse alley-oop. He;s been everything the Rockets could expect, and has been nothing but professional and driven for the last couple years. Plenty of people have fallen back on the perception of Dwight Howard as a lackadaisical, soft player, but he hasn't given anyone reason to think that for years. For all the problems the Rockets have, he's looked like a solution.

Those problems still exist, however, and the bad news is that the Rockets shouldn't have needed an overtime to get a win. The Knicks were without Carmelo Anthony (for better or for worse, the jury is definitely out on that one) and were surviving on the combined might of Arron Afflalo (who killed in the post and is in fact an very good player) and Kevin Seraphin (Good for him). Houston's defense came and went throughout the game, which is better than being absent, but worse than just being present. If they could run a play or hit a shot or rebound a ball, they wouldn't have needed late game heroics and a last second shot from Marcus Thornton to save the game. This team is still not good, and is a long way from good, but they're starting to show us why they used to be good. Maybe next time that will involve Ty Lawson.

#2 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 423 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

Dwight Howard also gets major props for dunking on Kristaps Porzingis so hard that the Knicks staff had to search through the baseline seats for pieces of his soul after the game. 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#3 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 423 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

During last night's game, I couldn't help but keep remembering a video (NSFW - language) I posted a while back. I'll let you make the comparisons with then Knicks players to current Rockets players. Familiar, no? 

#4 majik19

majik19

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 311 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

Agree with the points on Lawson. We absolutely need to get him involved, eventually, or the ceiling of this team appears to be "beat the Knicks without Carmelo Anthony in overtime."

It's really hard for me to get excited about this win. And while Capela/Howard worked together last night, I also don't think that is a long term solution. (Not to mention the Knicks still scored 110+ with two shot blockers on the floor at most times...) 

#5 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 251 posts
      • LocationEast Texas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:09 AM

During last night's game, I couldn't help but keep remembering a video (NSFW - language) I posted a while back. I'll let you make the comparisons with then Knicks players to current Rockets players. Familiar, no? 

I don't know how you found this gem but that right there was definitely some real talk. I see some comparisons between the two teams and had we lost to the 76ers at home, I could have easily seen me going on a rant that is very similar except I couldn't bury my Rox gear in the snow since it rarely does that in East Texas. Oh yeah, and I almost lost when he set The Wire as his desktop background cause that show was legit. 

Edited by Dan G, 01 December 2015 - 12:10 AM.

:lol: All in the game, yo, :D all in the game :lol:!

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 423 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:40 AM

I don't know how you found this gem but that right there was definitely some real talk. I see some comparisons between the two teams and had we lost to the 76ers at home, I could have easily seen me going on a rant that is very similar except I couldn't bury my Rox gear in the snow since it rarely does that in East Texas. Oh yeah, and I almost lost when he set The Wire as his desktop background cause that show was legit. 

A buddy of mine is a Celtics fan that LOVES to talk trash and posted it when this happened. Never thought it would be relevant to my team.

"Make somebody else better." Preach.

Edited by slick shoes, 01 December 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#7 Willk

Willk

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 368 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:58 AM

I was afraid that this game just reinforced the player's idea that they can give effort for a few minutes a game and come away with a win. A loss might have been better in the big picture. The rockets came out flat once again against Detroit, played hard for a few minutes, and lost. Only Philly is worse than the rockets (interesting that the two worst teams have Hinkie and Morey as the GMs).

On the plus side, it was great to listen to the Knicks announcers once again. Frazier was really on his game. On Dwight's Dunk, he proclaimed that Dwight took the ball and Prozingis dunked them through the hoop. When Beverley knocked the ball away from Calderon, frazier said "there goes that Klepto again." It really was an enjoyable watch.

#8 Willk

Willk

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 368 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

Agree with the points on Lawson. We absolutely need to get him involved, eventually, or the ceiling of this team appears to be "beat the Knicks without Carmelo Anthony in overtime."

It's really hard for me to get excited about this win. And while Capela/Howard worked together last night, I also don't think that is a long term solution. (Not to mention the Knicks still scored 110+ with two shot blockers on the floor at most times...) 

It is mind boggling to think that this team still gives up 110 points with both Capela and Howard on the court.

I agree with your shoutbox statement that JB was one that should have been fired not McHale. I would have kept McHale and offered Thibs a head coaching level salary to come in and be the DC.

#9 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 150 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:23 PM

Wow I think I have finally finished the 5 stages of grief on this season. I am at acceptance. This video helped too funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users