Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (23 November 2015 - 07:15 PM) I think that is the worst part about our season thus far. We fired a guy who had little to do with the problem instead of addressing the real issue of team chemistry which is becoming more and more apparent. I don't think anyone is on the same page as anyone else.
@  cointurtlemoose : (21 November 2015 - 06:39 AM) McHale might not have been a great coach, but he definitely was NOT the problem with this team...
@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?

Photo

Memphis Grizzlies 96, Houston Rockets 84: Meet the new boss, same as the old one

21 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:40 AM

New post: Memphis Grizzlies 96, Houston Rockets 84: Meet the new boss, same as the old one
    By: Paul McGuire

I’m not really sure what the Houston Rockets hoped to accomplish by firing Kevin McHale. Daryl Morey and Les Alexander pretty much admitted that themselves after the firing, as they said that it was done as a warning sign for this team to get up off their butts and do something.

Well, it hasn’t happened. Yes, the Rockets won their first game under Bickerstaff as Harden dropped 40+ points. But that already happened twice under McHale. And tonight was just another one of those losses that happened under his tenure, as the Rockets couldn’t hit anything and forgot what defense is for large stretches of this game.

First off, I think that a look at two stat lines should be noted:

Player A: 8.2 ppg while taking 9.0 shots per game and a .419 True Shooting percentage. PER: 8.8. Win Shares per 48 minutes: -0.026

Player B: 8.3 ppg while taking 8.9 shots per game and a .410 True Shooting percentage. PER: 7.5. Win Shares per 48 minutes: -0.035.

Player A is Lance Stephenson playing for Charlotte last season, who was viewed as the worst player in the NBA playing big minutes.

Player B is Ty Lawson as a Rocket. And tonight, coming off the Rockets bench as a way to supposedly jumpstart the Rockets offense, Lawson scored just 8 points on 2-6 shooting.

And he wasn’t even that bad compared to the rest of the Rockets bench. Thornton looked like a steal for Houston over the first few games, but he has begun to show why he was barely in the NBA at the end of last year as he looks for his own shot far too much. K.J. McDaniels does try and you can see the effort he’s putting in ( I would consider putting him above Brewer at this point), but he remains offensively incompetent.

Not that the rest of the Rockets were much more competent on the offensive end. Houston finished with a season high 23 turnovers, and some of them were just downright embarrassing. There was one pass which hit Dwight Howard in the back, Howard had his own bobbles in the post, and we even got some old-fashioned “Trevor Ariza tries to create a shot” lowlights circa the 2009-10 season.

I’m just not sure what to say at this point. James Harden wasn’t great, and he is continuing to miss defensive rotations whether it’s rotating over to cover the roll man in a screen and roll, getting caught ball-watching like he has always done, and even letting Mike Conley score on him in on-ball defense.

But the Rockets have beaten the Grizzlies in games where Harden was playing even worse. So far this season, they have continually needed 40 points games from him to accomplish anything. All of the offense originates from him, as Lawson has been a disaster and Motiejunas is out.

Not that Motiejunas’s return will fix much offensively. A strong post player like him needs good three-pointers around him to get the most offensive value, and that has not been Houston’s strong suit at all this season.

Though then again, what has?

And I don’t know how to fix this – if I did, I would be working for the Rockets, not writing this. And while Morey’s decision to fire McHale is perfectly rational, I just can’t figure out how things are going to get better. And I can see how it will get worse.

How would it get worse? For starters, there is the obvious fact that McHale was Dwight’s guy. McHale was a large reason why Dwight came here to Houston in the first place. Dwight is the one player who you can’t blame at all for how this season has gone (actually, toss Capela into that group too.) But Dwight is no longer good enough that he can compensate if the other four players don’t know what they’re doing on defense. Prime Dwight was, but not this Dwight.

And now McHale is gone. And while Howard continues to play when he can, Harden and the rest of the Rockets? Well, they’re doing something, even if that is not necessarily basketball.

Enough about this game and the state of the team. As the incompetent Rockets prepare for a not actually incompetent Knicks team tomorrow, perhaps they can take pride in the fact that they have held a NBA team to under 100 points for the first time this season.

#2 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,201 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:57 PM

I think having Motiejunas might help a bit more than you think. Now I'm not the broadcast team's biggest fan, but one of the things they've been saying a lot is that it's much easier to make and take three pointers when the ball is passed to you out of the post. I don't think it's coincidence that the team looked light years better in the 4th quarter and overtime against Portland because Harden was taking the ball into the post and creating. Maybe the decline of Dwight as a force in the post has made it harder to generate open looks via the post? In which case getting back a strong post presence might make quite a big difference.

That might just be me with my optimist hat on. But last year Motiejunas was able to anchor a really strong defence when he was our only functional big man - certainly he's got a knack for making the right rotations. Could be that him coming back will turn the season around.

ST

#3 Willk

Willk

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 356 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

With each loss, it looks less likely the Rox will be in the playoffs. Currently in 10th place and having played the easiest schedule, it's looking bad. It was interesting that the Memphis announcers said that during timeouts, when the Rox were walking back to the bench, nobody was talking to each other throughout the game. They have never seen anything like this. Something else is happening.

#4 Willk

Willk

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 356 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

I think having Motiejunas might help a bit more than you think. Now I'm not the broadcast team's biggest fan, but one of the things they've been saying a lot is that it's much easier to make and take three pointers when the ball is passed to you out of the post. I don't think it's coincidence that the team looked light years better in the 4th quarter and overtime against Portland because Harden was taking the ball into the post and creating. Maybe the decline of Dwight as a force in the post has made it harder to generate open looks via the post? In which case getting back a strong post presence might make quite a big difference.

That might just be me with my optimist hat on. But last year Motiejunas was able to anchor a really strong defence when he was our only functional big man - certainly he's got a knack for making the right rotations. Could be that him coming back will turn the season around.

ST

The problem is when is DMO getting back? If he gets back, are his minutes limited? I doubt he plays in back to backs. It will probably take him at least 3 weeks to get his rhythm back. Also, DMO was not a very good rebounder, will he want to bang in the post even less after his surgery. We already have a PF who refuses to rebound in TJones. There are a lot of concerns here.

#5 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 149 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:03 AM

I wasn't a huge fan of McHale there was plenty to scratch the head about but the decision to fire McHale is a bigger head scratcher for me. I don't understand if he was useless and just a figure head then why would you commit to the guy that sits next to him that is supposedly making all the decisions.

If he had lost the locker room then why would you commit to a guy that was a huge part of that culture.

If you want to hold the players accountable then why would you opt to shield them from criticism and take the blame from them.

If you are wanting to move in a new direction why would you pull the trigger so early? It makes us look like the Kings. No Thibs now I think.

At the end of the day the answer is Les. I think at 70+ years he has grown impatient and this is just way too reactive. I can also see him upset that he finally had to spend money and this has been the result. There had to be a fall guy.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,193 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

The problem is when is DMO getting back? If he gets back, are his minutes limited? I doubt he plays in back to backs. It will probably take him at least 3 weeks to get his rhythm back. Also, DMO was not a very good rebounder, will he want to bang in the post even less after his surgery. We already have a PF who refuses to rebound in TJones. There are a lot of concerns here.

Word is early to mid-December for D-Mo's return.  He should be in good shape, but might need a little time to get into rhythm.  

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,193 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

I wasn't a huge fan of McHale there was plenty to scratch the head about but the decision to fire McHale is a bigger head scratcher for me. I don't understand if he was useless and just a figure head then why would you commit to the guy that sits next to him that is supposedly making all the decisions.

If he had lost the locker room then why would you commit to a guy that was a huge part of that culture.

If you want to hold the players accountable then why would you opt to shield them from criticism and take the blame from them.

If you are wanting to move in a new direction why would you pull the trigger so early? It makes us look like the Kings. No Thibs now I think.

At the end of the day the answer is Les. I think at 70+ years he has grown impatient and this is just way too reactive. I can also see him upset that he finally had to spend money and this has been the result. There had to be a fall guy.

I don't understand why Ty Lawson is not getting the finger pointed at him.  He has been horrible.  We've all watched the games and seen how ineffective he has been.  Statistically, it's worse.

ORTG: 87

DRTG: 112

PER: 7.5

TS%: .410

His assist % is down, turnovers up, he's taking more threes and shooting a lower %, and then there is the defense.  I could go on (for instance his 15% shooting on long 2's which account for 25% of his total shots taken), but I think the point is clear.  Patrick Beverley is a superior offensive option to Lawson and provides some defense.   :o  Obviously, that's not true, but in the context of our team it is.  At this point, I'd trade Lawson for Jeremy Lin straight up (money doesn't work, but if I could...), or a number of other players.  (Lawson can't be traded this season so it's moot--we're stuck with him).

Harden is slacking on defense, Jones can't finish his bunny shots, Brewer is Brewer, but Lawson....Lawson is killing us.  Last night he produced 0 points on 0/1 shooting with 2 assists and 4 turnovers in 17 minutes.  I could produce that stat line...put me in JB!   :lol:

2 games ago we saw a 2 pt, 1 ast, 2 to game on 1-8 shooting in 20 minutes.  He gave us a couple of 7pt, 5 ast games in a row but then it was 0-7 for 0 points and 7 ast.  Basically, he has produced about 3 good games this season when you look at it.

Out of everything this season, Lawson has been the most disappointing.  I can't wait to get Bev and D-Mo back.  

#8 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 88 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

The most troubling thing to me about the Rockets this season is the coaching staff's lack of imagination in dealing with the inevitable injury problems. 

It's obvious that PG is the main problem. Beverley is injury-prone, Lawson has been far below league-average, and Terry is a 38 year old spot player.

So, while Beverley is out, why not play Harden at PG and rotate McDaniels, Brewer and Thornton at SG depending upon the matchup? 

D-Mo will help some because he is really the only low post offensive presence on the team. But even if he comes back in mid-December, he won't be ready to contribute substantial minutes until at best mid-January or early February.

Lawson was a reasonable risk to take. It didn't work out. Let him play some in a reserve role to see if he can turn it around. If not, move on.

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,164 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:25 AM

I don't understand why Ty Lawson is not getting the finger pointed at him.  He has been horrible.  We've all watched the games and seen how ineffective he has been.  Statistically, it's worse.

His assist % is down, turnovers up, he's taking more threes and shooting a lower %, and then there is the defense.  I could go on (for instance his 15% shooting on long 2's which account for 25% of his total shots taken), but I think the point is clear.  Patrick Beverley is a superior offensive option to Lawson and provides some defense.   :o  Obviously, that's not true, but in the context of our team it is.  At this point, I'd trade Lawson for Jeremy Lin straight up (money doesn't work, but if I could...), or a number of other players.  (Lawson can't be traded this season so it's moot--we're stuck with him).

Harden is slacking on defense, Jones can't finish his bunny shots, Brewer is Brewer, but Lawson....Lawson is killing us.  Last night he produced 0 points on 0/1 shooting with 2 assists and 4 turnovers in 17 minutes.  I could produce that stat line...put me in JB!   :lol:

2 games ago we saw a 2 pt, 1 ast, 2 to game on 1-8 shooting in 20 minutes.  He gave us a couple of 7pt, 5 ast games in a row but then it was 0-7 for 0 points and 7 ast.  Basically, he has produced about 3 good games this season when you look at it.

Out of everything this season, Lawson has been the most disappointing.  I can't wait to get Bev and D-Mo back.  

OH NO...........NOT J. LIN :huh: I agree Lawson has been bad, but at least he doesn't come with irrational fans :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#10 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 214 posts
            • LocationIsrael

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:18 PM

Josh Smith isn't happy in LA (http://espn.go.com/n...ers-locker-room) the no-trade restriction lifts on 12/15/15, some Morey magic???

Edited by redfaithful, 23 November 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#11 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 410 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

Josh Smith isn't happy in LA (http://espn.go.com/n...ers-locker-room) the no-trade restriction lifts on 12/15/15, some Morey magic???

Who do you give up for Smoove? 

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#12 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 149 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

Totally agree. I am ashamed to admit I have been scanning Hornets Box scores and thinking about what could have been. Now we don't have McHale I'm sure Lin's confidence would sky rocket! :lol: I knew there was going to be time to adjust but this backcourt pairing at the moment looks much worse than the Asik and Howard "Twin Towers" mad experiment.

#13 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 149 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

The most troubling thing to me about the Rockets this season is the coaching staff's lack of imagination in dealing with the inevitable injury problems. 

It's obvious that PG is the main problem. Beverley is injury-prone, Lawson has been far below league-average, and Terry is a 38 year old spot player.

So, while Beverley is out, why not play Harden at PG and rotate McDaniels, Brewer and Thornton at SG depending upon the matchup? 

D-Mo will help some because he is really the only low post offensive presence on the team. But even if he comes back in mid-December, he won't be ready to contribute substantial minutes until at best mid-January or early February.

Lawson was a reasonable risk to take. It didn't work out. Let him play some in a reserve role to see if he can turn it around. If not, move on.

I think throwing McDaniels in next to Harden is an interesting thought. Yes he can't shoot but he can certainly defend and there was a lot of talk about him being able to guard the pg when he came to Houston. Let's see what we have with this guy. What do we have to lose? If Harden has regressed defensively we can no longer afford having him on with Lawson or Thornton in my opinion which really leaves our options limited. I think at this point we need to go all defensive. it will be ugly but at least it will be glaringly obvious who is not putting in the effort.

#14 majik19

majik19

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 304 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:33 AM

What about Ariza? He's only shooting 31.6% from 3 and 36% overall. His PER has dropped from 15.9 to 12.7 to 10.7, which is a below average regular playing 35 MPG. 

#15 Willk

Willk

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 356 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:57 AM

Who do you give up for Smoove?

i think he would to be released for the rox to be able to get him

#16 Willk

Willk

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 356 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:01 AM

Totally agree. I am ashamed to admit I have been scanning Hornets Box scores and thinking about what could have been. Now we don't have McHale I'm sure Lin's confidence would sky rocket! :lol: I knew there was going to be time to adjust but this backcourt pairing at the moment looks much worse than the Asik and Howard "Twin Towers" mad experiment.

Lin is shooting about 41% from the field, less than 30% from 3, and his assist to TO ratio is less than 1.5. All bad especially as a backup in the eastern conference. I'll pass. He can stay in Charlotte along with his stans.
                      I would how much Lawson's legal problems are weighing on him. He could be sentenced to 6 months in prison. I would be constantly worried about that.

#17 Willk

Willk

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 356 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

Word is early to mid-December for D-Mo's return. He should be in good shape, but might need a little time to get into rhythm.

How sure are we that he returns in mid-December? the word was he was going to miss most of training camp immediately after his surgery. During training camp there was video of DMo running & do some activities which insinuated his return was imminent. Hopefully mid- December is accurate.
                        Speaking about tall players, this Howard sitting out back to backs while the team is collapsing has to stop. He is needed. I understand wanting to keep him fresh for the playoffs, but you actually have to make the playoffs. The thing I'm most upset about is why can't Howard suit up in case of an emergency. The last game against NYK, Capela fouled out w/ about 6 1/2 minutes left. Why could howard have played those 6 1/2 minutes? God-zingis dominated the boards after Capela fouled out. Houston would have had a fighting chance if Howard would play those last few minutes. If howard does get hurt then just don't re-sign him. Howard practices when he doesn't play, so why can't he play a few minutes?
                        It was interesting to listen to Knicks broadcast (I can't listen to Worrell & Drexler anymore. They are simply the worst in the business. I can't believe the rox don't have a competent broadcast team). Frazier advised that he talked to Drexler before the game and Drexler was surprised that Howard has not forced his way into to floor on back to backs. Drexler also felt there was zero leadership in Houston, but Frazier didn't elaborate if Drexler meant players, coaches, or management.

#18 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 410 posts
                        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

What about Ariza? He's only shooting 31.6% from 3 and 36% overall. His PER has dropped from 15.9 to 12.7 to 10.7, which is a below average regular playing 35 MPG. 

#19 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 410 posts
                        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

I would how much Lawson's legal problems are weighing on him. He could be sentenced to 6 months in prison. I would be constantly worried about that.

I'm sure that he is adequately equipped with a legal team which will prevent that from happening. He can serve his community best outside of jail, your honor.

Regarding your comment about Bill, Bull, and Clyde being the worst in the business; no, they aren't fantastic but I have definitely heard worse with other teams. The Jazz and 76ers were particularly awful if memory serves. I do wish that Murph could rejoin Bill on the sidelines doing color commentary, but alas, those days have come and gone. 

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,193 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

How sure are we that he returns in mid-December? the word was he was going to miss most of training camp immediately after his surgery. During training camp there was video of DMo running & do some activities which insinuated his return was imminent. Hopefully mid- December is accurate.
                        Speaking about tall players, this Howard sitting out back to backs while the team is collapsing has to stop. He is needed. I understand wanting to keep him fresh for the playoffs, but you actually have to make the playoffs. The thing I'm most upset about is why can't Howard suit up in case of an emergency. The last game against NYK, Capela fouled out w/ about 6 1/2 minutes left. Why could howard have played those 6 1/2 minutes? God-zingis dominated the boards after Capela fouled out. Houston would have had a fighting chance if Howard would play those last few minutes. If howard does get hurt then just don't re-sign him. Howard practices when he doesn't play, so why can't he play a few minutes?
                        It was interesting to listen to Knicks broadcast (I can't listen to Worrell & Drexler anymore. They are simply the worst in the business. I can't believe the rox don't have a competent broadcast team). Frazier advised that he talked to Drexler before the game and Drexler was surprised that Howard has not forced his way into to floor on back to backs. Drexler also felt there was zero leadership in Houston, but Frazier didn't elaborate if Drexler meant players, coaches, or management.

I have no first hand knowledge.  It was reported by Jonathan Feigen a few days ago on Twitter.  He's as good a Rockets' source as there is.  Doesn't mean D-Mo won't get delayed--that's just the current report.  The good news is his 3 pt. shooting in practice is very promising...hopefully it translates to games.

As far as Dwight not playing--that is up to the medical staff.  The organization as a whole defers to their judgement on health issues--and I think the players appreciate that.  It shows that the Rockets care about the players and their health long term versus using them up and throwing them away once they're broken.

It wasn't that long ago that quite a few players "gave up their bodies" for the good of the team only to have the team pull the rug out from under them once it took its toll on them.  (See: Jermaine O'Neal)  The players took notice and teams are acting accordingly.  While it would be nice to have Dwight more available, I agree with the plan. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users