Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (31 December 2016 - 12:01 AM) I imagine Brewer has been "dangling" ever since he signed that last contract. I saw some rumor that Kosta Koufos is at the top of our list for trade targets right now. Those are words I never wanted to hear :lol:
@  majik19 : (30 December 2016 - 08:46 PM) found this hilarious: Zach Lowe of ESPN reports that Houston has been "dangling" Corey Brewer in trade talks, who could provide Sacramento with another wing player in case it loses out on Rudy Gay at some point. But he also noted that Brewer's name hasn't drawn much traction.
@  slick shoes : (28 December 2016 - 07:47 PM) DMo working out for the Lakers per ESPN. I wouldn't hate it, but don't see him there long term for some reason.
@  thejohnnygold : (23 December 2016 - 10:07 PM) Per Tom Haberstroh: Pop said he doesn't watch game tape on the opponent this time of year. "Except for the Rockets. Harden is ridiculous." :)
@  DenverRocket : (20 December 2016 - 12:06 AM) Looks like Clint will be out for a while, MRI revealed micro-fracture of the left fib: http://www.lequipe.f...t-capela/761879
@  JY86er : (19 December 2016 - 03:29 PM) Did he fail the Rockets' physical?
@  majik19 : (16 December 2016 - 02:54 AM) you mean UNrestricted Free Agent.
@  DenverRocket : (15 December 2016 - 11:40 PM) WTF, now we've renounced D-Mo and allowed him to become an RFA! https://twitter.com/...540893321687041
@  thejohnnygold : (10 December 2016 - 04:32 PM) I like that :)
@  redfaithful : (10 December 2016 - 12:47 PM) D'Antoni's remark about Beverly's "winning spirit" in numbers: Rockets 10-2 since PB returned
@  DenverRocket : (09 December 2016 - 04:55 PM) Agreement finally reached apparently, 4yrs @ 35m http://www.espn.com/...-four-year-deal
@  DenverRocket : (07 December 2016 - 09:06 PM) Maybe it is salvageable after all? http://www.espn.com/...nce-offer-sheet
@  ale11 : (07 December 2016 - 08:20 PM) ditto, great read :)
@  DenverRocket : (07 December 2016 - 07:02 PM) Great read, thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (07 December 2016 - 04:09 PM) Possibly the best article about Morey and what goes into his process. If the balance between subjective and objective decision-making intrigues you then read this article. LINK
@  thejohnnygold : (06 December 2016 - 11:48 PM) Bad, D-Mo! Bad!
@  slick shoes : (06 December 2016 - 07:01 PM) We are in the power position at this point. He can continue to sit out and not get paid while we continue to play without him and build a team that doesn't include him while controlling any move(s) he wants to make. Not smart.
@  DenverRocket : (06 December 2016 - 06:17 PM) Wow! Motiejunas' agent, B.J. Armstrong: "We have our rights. We're not going to show up. We'll see what happens. We'll see what the Rockets do."
@  DenverRocket : (06 December 2016 - 05:40 PM) Rockets could return Motiejunas to restricted free agent status. Working through what happened.
@  DenverRocket : (06 December 2016 - 05:34 PM) According to Feigen: Donatas Motiejunas was a no show for his physical this morning, source said. Rockets weighing options.

Photo

From Zach Lowe's article about the Clippers...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

Rivers says his team didn’t take Houston seriously. He had to repeat himself in film sessions and walk-throughs. “San Antonio got our full attention,” Rivers says. “The Rockets, for whatever reason, didn’t.” Rivers praises Houston for rallying, but he remembers every Clippers mistake and every perceived injustice from the officials in alarming detail. There was a Corey Brewer and-1 early in the fourth quarter of Game 6 to cut L.A.’s lead to nine that should have been a charge, Rivers says, and Dwight Howard picking up a flagrant foul and a technical foul in separate incidents. “Dwight was doing everything he could to get thrown out,” Rivers recalls. “He had one flagrant, and he probably should have had another. But credit those guys. They fought.”

Some players, damningly, agree with Rivers’s claim that they didn’t grant Houston enough respect. “We weren’t on guard against Houston,” says Jamal Crawford. “We never thought we could lose three in a row to them.” The Clippers relaxed when things were easy and froze up when the Rockets made them difficult. That sounds like a team that should be asking whether it lacks some indefinable championship quality, but the Clippers aren’t going there — yet.

Yep - I'm sure that's the only reason we won. Sounds like some sore losers to me... 

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,712 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:14 PM

Yup.  If I were Doc I'd be more worried about how I'm going to work Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford, Austin Rivers, and Lance Stephenson into a functional second unit.  My guess: Insert Paul Pierce and have him handle everything on offense.

#3 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 415 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:53 PM

Yup.  If I were Doc I'd be more worried about how I'm going to work Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford, Austin Rivers, and Lance Stephenson into a functional second unit.  My guess: Insert Paul Pierce and have him handle everything on offense.

It will be fun to watch them get destroyed by teams with taller players. Like Houston, for example, our second unit probably will have two 7 footers in DMo and Capela, their biggest player will be 6´7 Josh Smith. They won't see what hit them.

Champion of the 2014-15 Red94 Fantasy Basketball League :D

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,299 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:53 AM

agreed. Doc has to have some explanation for why they got their arse kicked by a team they were favored to beat :lol:  spin it however you want it, but it won't change the results. the Clippers are clearly missing something and they can't seem to figure out what it is. however I think the missing ingredient is HEART. perhaps if they follow the yellow brick road to OZ they can find the wizard

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,712 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

agreed. Doc has to have some explanation for why they got their arse kicked by a team they were favored to beat :lol:  spin it however you want it, but it won't change the results. the Clippers are clearly missing something and they can't seem to figure out what it is. however I think the missing ingredient is HEART. perhaps if they follow the yellow brick road to OZ they can find the wizard

I don't know...I thought everyone understood it was their lack of quality depth.  They ran out of gas.

I think they have made some good roster moves.  Certainly they are better than last year.

They had Crawford, Hawes, Davis, Turkoglu, Rivers, and Farmar (with a little Dahntay Jones and Ekpe Udoh).

This year, they keep Crawford and Rivers while adding Stephenson, Wesley Johnson, Josh Smith, and Paul Pierce.  They also added Chuck Hayes and Pablo Prigioni.  Matt Barnes, Big Baby, and Hedo are out.

I don't like it, but Prigioni, Crawford, Stephenson, Pierce, and J-Smith (playing center) is not bad at all.  Yes, there are still 3 wildcards on the floor, but Prigs and Pierce can limit that aspect of their games.

Plus, Rivers has alluded that Wesley Johnson will get the starting SF spot, but what if they slide Stephenson into Redick's spot at SG?  Playing next to Paul might be just what the doctor ordered for Stephenson.  Redick can do his thing just fine coming off the bench and potentially makes that group better.

I think the Clippers have a very strong chance of claiming the 1 seed in the West this season (although, I think Houston is just as likely to do so).  They got rid of weak pieces and added some pretty good ones in their place.  They also had the same record as us and were minutes from the WC Finals. 

It feels like a cliche'd broken record, but every year the West just gets tougher.  How this is possible I have no idea.  Sure, Portland dropped out and Dallas is a giant question mark until they get healthy, but New Orleans and OKC will slide up into their spots with Phoenix and Utah right behind them.  Add to that a Sacramento team that is intriguing on paper.  Once again, the West is 11 teams deep.  Buckle up...it's gonna get bumpy.

#6 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 508 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

I don't know...I thought everyone understood it was their lack of quality depth. They ran out of gas.

I think they have made some good roster moves. Certainly they are better than last year.

They had Crawford, Hawes, Davis, Turkoglu, Rivers, and Farmar (with a little Dahntay Jones and Ekpe Udoh).

This year, they keep Crawford and Rivers while adding Stephenson, Wesley Johnson, Josh Smith, and Paul Pierce. They also added Chuck Hayes and Pablo Prigioni. Matt Barnes, Big Baby, and Hedo are out.

I don't like it, but Prigioni, Crawford, Stephenson, Pierce, and J-Smith (playing center) is not bad at all. Yes, there are still 3 wildcards on the floor, but Prigs and Pierce can limit that aspect of their games.

Plus, Rivers has alluded that Wesley Johnson will get the starting SF spot, but what if they slide Stephenson into Redick's spot at SG? Playing next to Paul might be just what the doctor ordered for Stephenson. Redick can do his thing just fine coming off the bench and potentially makes that group better.

I think the Clippers have a very strong chance of claiming the 1 seed in the West this season (although, I think Houston is just as likely to do so). They got rid of weak pieces and added some pretty good ones in their place. They also had the same record as us and were minutes from the WC Finals.

It feels like a cliche'd broken record, but every year the West just gets tougher. How this is possible I have no idea. Sure, Portland dropped out and Dallas is a giant question mark until they get healthy, but New Orleans and OKC will slide up into their spots with Phoenix and Utah right behind them. Add to that a Sacramento team that is intriguing on paper. Once again, the West is 11 teams deep. Buckle up...it's gonna get bumpy.

I agree JG that the Clips ran out of gas. I do not think it was a matter of heart. I think game 2 was the perfect example of this. The Clips had the rockets dead to rights in that game but Blake wore down.
        I doubt the Clips would think about bringing JJ off of the bench because he is a key piece of their number #1 ranked offense.
        I do agree that that the Clippers will challenge for the top seed. It will be a toss up between GSW, Hou, LAC, SAS, OKC, and Mem. It will come down to health. Hopefully the Rockets will have a healthy season and let the chips fall where they may.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,299 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

@JG/Willk

while I will agree fatigue was a big factor, the Clippers lack the mental fortitude to fight through the fatigue and put away a team they had down at one point 3-1 in the series. neither of their stars Paul, Blake or Jordan(if you believe he's a star :) ) was capable of taking over one of the final 3 games and willing their team to a win even after being up by 19 late in the 3rd quarter of game 6. I'm not saying the Clippers have no talent.....they are very talent laden, but when the chips are on the table they always find a way to come up short. that's a lack of HEART. looking at them on paper is scary. they seem to have all the ingrediants necessary, but they can't seem to take that final step...........that's because none of their stars have the will to take over a game and drag their team kicking and screaming into the  next round. last year when we played Portland watching D-12 in that final game attempting to will his team to the next battle displayed that type of metal I think has to be part of any championship mix. this is the point where stars must play like STARS. it's why any team that Lebron is on is going to be though to beat. stars who can lift their team because of their willingness to do whatever it takes are far harder to defeat. the Clippers lack that. instead of one leader stepping to the forefront they stand around waiting for that leader to emerge. Paul is looking at Blake and Blake is looking at Paul, but neither has taken the burden upon his sholders to become that dominating force. they lack HEART IMO 

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,712 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

@JG/Willk

while I will agree fatigue was a big factor, the Clippers lack the mental fortitude to fight through the fatigue and put away a team they had down at one point 3-1 in the series. neither of their stars Paul, Blake or Jordan(if you believe he's a star :) ) was capable of taking over one of the final 3 games and willing their team to a win even after being up by 19 late in the 3rd quarter of game 6. I'm not saying the Clippers have no talent.....they are very talent laden, but when the chips are on the table they always find a way to come up short. that's a lack of HEART. looking at them on paper is scary. they seem to have all the ingrediants necessary, but they can't seem to take that final step...........that's because none of their stars have the will to take over a game and drag their team kicking and screaming into the  next round. last year when we played Portland watching D-12 in that final game attempting to will his team to the next battle displayed that type of metal I think has to be part of any championship mix. this is the point where stars must play like STARS. it's why any team that Lebron is on is going to be though to beat. stars who can lift their team because of their willingness to do whatever it takes are far harder to defeat. the Clippers lack that. instead of one leader stepping to the forefront they stand around waiting for that leader to emerge. Paul is looking at Blake and Blake is looking at Paul, but neither has taken the burden upon his sholders to become that dominating force. they lack HEART IMO 

I don't know if I can agree with you on this.  The evidence certainly points to you being right, but saying Chris Paul lacks heart is a tough sell for me.  Blake Griffin....maybe, but I'm not buying CP3.

Let's be honest, we would all take CP3 on our team (even now with Lawson).  Now, it helps that we've got Harden, the 4th quarter assassin, to ease any burden Paul might have to carry.  Check out James' stats from last year:

Ignore the Net Points stuff.  That's a team issue.  James Harden shot 62.8 eFG% on jump shots in the clutch (and that excludes free throws!!!) .  Look at the team off. rebounding in the clutch!  25.4%!!!  (Don't look at our Def. rebounding %  :()  This is from 82games.com.  THey have cool stuff, but sometimes things don't make sense and they don't explain.  For instance, under "shot clock usage" James shot .857 eFG% with 16-20 seconds on the clock for .6 pts.  If true, that's amazing.....but where do they get the .6 pts from???  If he is shooting 85.7 eFG% then that is 1.7 points....???

Who cares?   :P  We all watched the games and saw what Harden did.  I don't need stats to know James killed it in the 4th quarter.....most games.  No one can accuse James of lacking the heart to drag his team to victory.

Regarding the Clips, I just think their bench was truly that bad and the starters couldn't do it all.  Once the Rockets turned it on, they couldn't do anything to stop it no matter how much heart they do, or don't, have.

#9 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 480 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:35 AM

Regarding the Clips, I just think their bench was truly that bad and the starters couldn't do it all.  Once the Rockets turned it on, they couldn't do anything to stop it no matter how much heart they do, or don't, have.

Let's not forget that the Rockets were a pretty good team too... they had to work hard and execute flawlessly to win game 5 and they just played their game better in 6 and 7. 

Their depth is impressive, but I do wonder if Doc can manage the personalities. I like how our team fits together better, and how our team is equipped to play a variety of ways. We need Motiejunas back though!

#10 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 508 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:21 AM

I don't know if I can agree with you on this. The evidence certainly points to you being right, but saying Chris Paul lacks heart is a tough sell for me. Blake Griffin....maybe, but I'm not buying CP3.

Let's be honest, we would all take CP3 on our team (even now with Lawson). Now, it helps that we've got Harden, the 4th quarter assassin, to ease any burden Paul might have to carry. Check out James' stats from last year:

Ignore the Net Points stuff. That's a team issue. James Harden shot 62.8 eFG% on jump shots in the clutch (and that excludes free throws!!!) . Look at the team off. rebounding in the clutch! 25.4%!!! (Don't look at our Def. rebounding % :() This is from 82games.com. THey have cool stuff, but sometimes things don't make sense and they don't explain. For instance, under "shot clock usage" James shot .857 eFG% with 16-20 seconds on the clock for .6 pts. If true, that's amazing.....but where do they get the .6 pts from??? If he is shooting 85.7 eFG% then that is 1.7 points....???

Who cares? :P We all watched the games and saw what Harden did. I don't need stats to know James killed it in the 4th quarter.....most games. No one can accuse James of lacking the heart to drag his team to victory.

Regarding the Clips, I just think their bench was truly that bad and the starters couldn't do it all. Once the Rockets turned it on, they couldn't do anything to stop it no matter how much heart they do, or don't, have.
            Harden also had the 3rd highest fg% in the clutch (5 minutes left and the game is 5 points or less) per NBA.com. Nobody can doubt he is clutch

#11 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 662 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

Harden also had the 3rd highest fg% in the clutch (5 minutes left and the game is 5 points or less) per NBA.com. Nobody can doubt he is clutch

27xmpgw.jpg

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,299 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:34 AM

@JG

YES........HEART. there is difference between frustration because you can't get to the next level and displaying will to not except anything less. I question not only Blake in the heart department, but Paul as well. the man is hands down the best PG in the league on most people's list yet for all his stats he seems unable to dominate when it matters most. talk is cheap. leaving it all on the floor........that requires max effort. I can't say honestly I have seen Paul dominate to the point I say to myself damn the man is a one man wrecking crew. if Paul wants to know why the Clippers don't have a championship he should look in the mirror. he has the talent, but most stars go through moments when you can say he's in a zone. Paul has good plays, but rarely does he dominate. last year Curry was dominating. Paul has NOT displayed that attitude of unwillingness to accept less with his play. I hear the mouth and it's saying the right stuff, but I haven't seen it on the floor. he may not be pointing fingers in the media, but I'm pretty sure he does in the locker room. he will only reach the next level when he starts to point the finger at his self. he has to be the Clippers ALPHA if they are to win it all. the Clippers need Batman and right now Paul plays like Robin. good, but not good enough

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,712 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

@JG

YES........HEART. there is difference between frustration because you can't get to the next level and displaying will to not except anything less. I question not only Blake in the heart department, but Paul as well. the man is hands down the best PG in the league on most people's list yet for all his stats he seems unable to dominate when it matters most. talk is cheap. leaving it all on the floor........that requires max effort. I can't say honestly I have seen Paul dominate to the point I say to myself damn the man is a one man wrecking crew. if Paul wants to know why the Clippers don't have a championship he should look in the mirror. he has the talent, but most stars go through moments when you can say he's in a zone. Paul has good plays, but rarely does he dominate. last year Curry was dominating. Paul has NOT displayed that attitude of unwillingness to accept less with his play. I hear the mouth and it's saying the right stuff, but I haven't seen it on the floor. he may not be pointing fingers in the media, but I'm pretty sure he does in the locker room. he will only reach the next level when he starts to point the finger at his self. he has to be the Clippers ALPHA if they are to win it all. the Clippers need Batman and right now Paul plays like Robin. good, but not good enough

Well, for our sake I hope you're right because they are going to be a tough out in this year's playoffs.

Since we're talking about team team depth....anyone see these rumors about Larry Sanders?  It's a bit of speculation, but there have been reports that "one Texas team has shown interest in signing him" (which I immediately assumed was Dallas because...Cuban).  Next thing I know he is in Houston.  He's been coy about it sending Tweets and Instagrams (or whatever the kids do these days).

It's early, but this is interesting.  Perhaps the bohemian life lost its luster and he realized playing hoops for money isn't so bad.  If This came to fruition, we'd officially be stacked at all 5 positions.

PG: Lawson/Pbev/Terry

SG: Harden/KJ/Thornton

SF: Ariza/Brewer/Dekker

PF:DMO/TJones/Montrezl

C:Howard/Capela/Sanders

I imagine we'll hear news, one way or the other, pretty soon on this matter.  If Morey pulls this off we can rest Dwight as much as we want without sacrificing quality paint protection.  For anyone who doesn't know who Sanders is, remind yourself with this short video:

#14 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 662 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

Well, for our sake I hope you're right because they are going to be a tough out in this year's playoffs.

Since we're talking about team team depth....anyone see these rumors about Larry Sanders?  It's a bit of speculation, but there have been reports that "one Texas team has shown interest in signing him" (which I immediately assumed was Dallas because...Cuban).  Next thing I know he is in Houston.  He's been coy about it sending Tweets and Instagrams (or whatever the kids do these days).

It's early, but this is interesting.  Perhaps the bohemian life lost its luster and he realized playing hoops for money isn't so bad.  If This came to fruition, we'd officially be stacked at all 5 positions.

PG: Lawson/Pbev/Terry

SG: Harden/KJ/Thornton

SF: Ariza/Brewer/Dekker

PF:DMO/TJones/Montrezl

C:Howard/Capela/Sanders

I imagine we'll hear news, one way or the other, pretty soon on this matter.  If Morey pulls this off we can rest Dwight as much as we want without sacrificing quality paint protection.  For anyone who doesn't know who Sanders is, remind yourself with this short video:

How much is this kid going to want to sign with us though? Last time I checked, we had NO cap space.

#15 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,375 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

I've seen speculation on Sanders and to me it could be any Texas team as far as I'm concerned. Cuban is obviously crazy and that team needs anything (except Rondo ha!) at this point. What about Pop? Could this be one of those Spurs projects that saves Duncan and LA from too much dirty work during the 82? If Morey and McHale take Sanders in that would surprise but then again maybe not. A 1 year deal to get back in the groove and then cash in on the coming huge contracts. Really the Rockets and Spurs would be best for Sanders to get back on track. Crazy!
            I can't stand the Warriors!

#16 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 179 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:08 PM

^I've been seeing that too. I don't think there's really room for him here in our rotation. But I can definitely see his use in SA, like you said, they've lost their two dirty work big guys from last season.

#17 majik19

majik19

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 480 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:11 PM

also remember, its LARRY SANDERS!

He would be a nice luxury, but I wouldn't want him taking minutes from Capela. 

#18 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 662 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

My main memory is of him getting his face broken by The Beard.

#19 Willk

Willk

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 508 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

also remember, its LARRY SANDERS!

He would be a nice luxury, but I wouldn't want him taking minutes from Capela.

I doubt sanders would take capela's minutes. I think he would mainly play when Howard sits out

#20 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 662 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

I doubt sanders would take capela's minutes. I think he would mainly play when Howard sits out

...and when do you have Capela playing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users