Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more

Photo

Dwight Howard's Future

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

There's been enough discussion in the "Roster" thread that I think it's time that this topic warrants its own thread.

The Situation: Dwight Howard's contract ends at the end of this season. He can opt-in for next year for $23,282,457, or he can opt-out and hit the free agent market.

The Free Agent Market: As we saw this year, the free agent market was insane (John Wall's comments about Reggie Jackson come to mind), and next year will be much the same with the cap jumping again. However, it will jump again the next season before settling out. 

There was a lot of speculation this year that players would take one or two year deals so they could hit the market again when the cap went up again. Almost no one actually did that. 

What should Dwight do:

In my opinion, he should opt-out and resign a max contract at the new rate.

It's risky for him to take a one or two year deal. He's played a lot of NBA games at this point - what if his knees or back don't hold up? Then he's missed out on the last three or four years of a max deal to get more short term salary, a net loss of likely something like 60-80 million dollars.

The same risks apply if he opts-in, but he could opt-in and bank on himself to stay healthy for one more year and then get a max contract. Opting in and taking a one year deal is even riskier, and we saw almost no players do anything like that this year (even younger players). 

What should the Rockets do: 

Based on his playoff performance last year, I think we should resign him at the max if he opts out, even for 4 years. At the back end of the contract, that will hurt us, but at the front end, we get two more years of championship contender status. We probably fall back into the solid playoff team, but not championship contender, group without him.

If he opts in, that gives us another year to evaluate him, both on level of performance and health. 

Clint Capela could make a lot of this discussion moot. If Howard were to opt-in, and Capela proves himself to be a low level star, then maybe signing Howard will be unnecessary after next year. I doubt Capela gets the chance to prove himself this year.

Donatas Motiejunas could also help out this situation. If he truly blossoms into a star, then maybe we would feel comfortable moving him to center and sharing minutes with Capela there. I think he's more effective with a true center next to him, but let's not forget how good the Rockets still were with Motiejunas playing C instead of Howard when Howard was hurt. 

#2 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 473 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:24 PM

Stats say DMOs good qualities get mitigated at center. But otherwise I agree. Anyways its a really a moot point, even if he opts out we'll have the money to spend on him and at least one more good quality piece. Only way I would let him walk is if Durant makes noise about coming here and we need the money for that.

But long-term, I think winning would solve this. We get a ring, and I do not think Howard will want to leave/demand a raise.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#3 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,634 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

I think Dwight values happiness and wins over a few extra millions. He's loaded as it is and I can't see him leaving Houston which he made his home after everything he went through. He loves mchale and his teammates. I bet he also understands with his injury history, that his only shot at a championship is being on a deep roster and playing beside a top 5 player like harden. I expect dwight to take a deal with a similar amount of money he is getting right now with some more years for longterm security.

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,119 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:16 AM

I think Dwight values happiness and wins over a few extra millions. He's loaded as it is and I can't see him leaving Houston which he made his home after everything he went through. He loves mchale and his teammates. I bet he also understands with his injury history, that his only shot at a championship is being on a deep roster and playing beside a top 5 player like harden. I expect dwight to take a deal with a similar amount of money he is getting right now with some more years for longterm security.

I agree. it seems as though everyone assumes D-12 only has 2 more years left in him. granted his game is a physical game and his athletic abilities will at some point decline, but it's not like he's going to fall off a cliff unless injuries dictate such. none of us can foresee his injury outlook. sure he has some miles on him, but does that guarantee injury? does it guarantee rapid decline? if we are able to rest D-12 more......give him some games off ie manage his minutes better because of the deepness of our bigs, any assumptions about how long he might last would be premature. there is no way to know without letting the situation play out and I'm 100% sure that's what Morey is thinking as well. to me that's a bridge a year down the road. no need to try and cross it now. sure it's good to have a plan, but any good plan has built in flexibility. Morey gets paid to make the tough calls and I trust that when the times comes he will weigh the facts and make that call in the best interest of the Rockets no matter the resulting fallout if there be any. my guess is D-12 has a lot of basketball left in him. he should have no problem getting 4 year near max deal especially if he's bargaining from the position of a championship

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,634 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:20 AM

I don't expect dwight getting the new 30m max.

#6 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 473 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:48 AM

the money has to go somewhere. Is dwight still a top 30 player (one worth 30m to some team then)....i'd have to say yes most definitely. So him getting the 30m max is likely, whether we pay it is up in air. He's still a top 30 player in the league, thus a max player by the idea that some team out of the 30 will pay him.

Edited by Losthief, 05 September 2015 - 04:48 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#7 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,634 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

Like I said I think Dwight values winning, and happiness over a few extra millions. I can't see him going to the bobcats or mavs to play in mediocrity for a few more millions.

I believe he will be willing to make a sacrifice for a few million to possibly make the team much better for a dynasty.

#8 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 671 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

My issue with players who relies on just athletic ability declines faster than someone like Duncan, Pierce. Dwight doesn't have the same fundamentals, his post moves are based on athleticism and he doesn't have a jumper. Same could be said about defensively but I don't think he will regress there as fast. 

When he that happens he will be a huge liability on our cap and roster at the later years of the contract. I don't know when this will happen, but it will be based on how he perform this year.

#9 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,119 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:09 AM

My issue with players who relies on just athletic ability declines faster than someone like Duncan, Pierce. Dwight doesn't have the same fundamentals, his post moves are based on athleticism and he doesn't have a jumper. Same could be said about defensively but I don't think he will regress there as fast. 

When he that happens he will be a huge liability on our cap and roster at the later years of the contract. I don't know when this will happen, but it will be based on how he perform this year.

I agree with the first part of your statement. players who rely solely on athletic ability do decline faster offensively than players like Duncan. I also agree that he won't decline defensively as fast as he will offensively. however our offense doesn't feature him as a first option and we don't need a steady diet of his post moves for him to give this team what we need from him. D-12 is our defensive anchor. we have enough offense. however without someone to stop the layup line going to the basket we would be forced to outscore the opposition every night. we will get 18 to 22 points off just D-12's activity around the bucket. what D-12 gives us isn't always on the stat sheet. his presence alone changes the way teams play us. I believe he has more than 4 good years left in him. in that 4th year we may begin to see the falloff, but D-12 takes good care of his body. I just don't see him falling off and athletic cliff before then. NO he won't last as long as someone like Duncan, but to say he has just 2 good years left. IMO you have underestimated his abilities

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#10 marbony81110

marbony81110

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 71 posts
            • LocationGermany

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

As much as I would hope for D.Mo and Capela to be stars it just isn't going to happen. Players have a ceiling. D.Mo's ceiling is a solid starter. He had a solid year for the first time in 3 years, then dropped off after the all star break. Not saying he was bad, but wasn't the same as he was pre- all-star break. Maybe his back had been ailing him and took it's final toll before the playoffs. He is a good player, but has a long way to go to reach star status.

I have no idea what Capela's ceiling is at this point in time. What I am sure of is that he is going to have to develop his game in all areas a lot to reach star status...even a low level star. For now I will bank on him being a reliable role player then see from there.

Whatever happens at the end of this year it is clear that the Rockets need Dwight Howard. The only way I change my mind about that is if he has some catastrophic injury. With him the Rockets are contenders as you said.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,118 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

As much as I would hope for D.Mo and Capela to be stars it just isn't going to happen. Players have a ceiling. D.Mo's ceiling is a solid starter. He had a solid year for the first time in 3 years, then dropped off after the all star break. Not saying he was bad, but wasn't the same as he was pre- all-star break. Maybe his back had been ailing him and took it's final toll before the playoffs. He is a good player, but has a long way to go to reach star status.

I have no idea what Capela's ceiling is at this point in time. What I am sure of is that he is going to have to develop his game in all areas a lot to reach star status...even a low level star. For now I will bank on him being a reliable role player then see from there.

Whatever happens at the end of this year it is clear that the Rockets need Dwight Howard. The only way I change my mind about that is if he has some catastrophic injury. With him the Rockets are contenders as you said.

I don't think anyone is calling D-Mo a "star" and surely not Capela.  I'm also not sure about this "drop-off".

Outside of a couple of games he looked pretty solid and the numbers are inline with what he did all season aside from the nice uptick in 3pt% (He shot 46% from deep post-all-star).  I would argue he improved all season long.

D-Mo becoming a star is highly unlikely.  D-Mo being a great player who helps us get to the championship is highly likely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users