Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (08 August 2015 - 06:22 PM) I don't blame him I guess. The dude gave us LOTS more than I thought he was going to when we signed him a year ago. I remember rolling my eyes at his signing last summer. But he went above and beyond for us
@  TTrainW : (08 August 2015 - 06:48 AM) Looks like Terry may delcine our offer and sign with the Pelicans.. shame, would have been a nice locker room presence as well as capable backup & shooter
@  slick shoes : (06 August 2015 - 04:43 PM) If the Lakers make the playoffs this coming season, then five or six teams' planes all crashed together mid air. not impossible, but VERY VERY unlikely.
@  SadLakerFan : (05 August 2015 - 07:45 PM) Everything is in place for the Rockets. Should be a great year. Oh yeah, Kobe said we are absolutely a playoff team, so I might not come around here much.
@  Losthief : (04 August 2015 - 07:18 PM) good q and a w/ corey brewer: http://www.cbssports...andom-drug-test
@  thenit : (03 August 2015 - 10:21 PM) never knew he who dated but CNN put that story on with the 200 mill contract. kardashians bf getting a 200 mill contract lol
@  thejohnnygold : (03 August 2015 - 08:39 PM) Is it any better or worse than his last girlfriend? It doesn't concern me.
@  slick shoes : (03 August 2015 - 06:50 PM) is the beard seeing one of the kardashians? sorry, im not up to date with the latest TMZ reports.
@  thenit : (03 August 2015 - 06:45 PM) Is it just me or are u guys worried that we will get the kardashian jinx with the beard?
@  Losthief : (02 August 2015 - 09:23 PM) yeah, he looked good for 50.
@  majik19 : (02 August 2015 - 09:22 PM) did anyone see the Dream's Dream Shake at the NBA Africa Game? He's still got it!
@  slick shoes : (30 July 2015 - 12:58 PM) Once, we ink Terry to a one year vet minimum deal, I will be VERY pleased with our roster entering the season. Finals appearance, anyone?
@  Losthief : (30 July 2015 - 04:19 AM) And the Chuck Wagon is back in town!
@  thejohnnygold : (24 July 2015 - 06:40 PM) Greg Popovich gives a 25 minute interview (happily) and offers insight on lots of things. Worth listening to. LINK
@  slick shoes : (24 July 2015 - 02:25 PM) I'm glad Prigs found himself a home with a contender. Seemed like a high character guy.
@  jorgeaam : (23 July 2015 - 03:10 AM) So first Smith and now Prigs to the Clips, if you can't beat 'em join 'em
@  rocketrick : (22 July 2015 - 05:04 PM) Rockets actually are only committed to Lawson for 2015-16 season as they renegotiated with Lawson's agent and have a team option for 2016-17 season. Is Morey incredible or what when negotiating?
@  redfaithful : (20 July 2015 - 08:51 PM) Sorry, I'm too far away to offer help :rolleyes:
@  thejohnnygold : (20 July 2015 - 07:29 PM) Indeed, I do :lol: It gets worse....they live in enemy territory...Plano, TX.
@  Losthief : (20 July 2015 - 05:28 PM) ah so u understand the urge to drink!

Photo

Buying a Championship.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:44 AM

Since getting Ty Lawson I have a gut wrenching feeling that we are now one of those teams.

We just bought ourselves a championship team.

I know there are teams that have tried to buy themselves a ring ie. Clippers, Devon George Lakers, 2015 Cavaliers, NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox... and have not succeeded.  

It's sad really because I used to bash Lebron's greatness because of his supporting cast.  In this case I know Harden and Howard will go down as one of the greats but with much less criticism as Lebron thus it isn't as hard to take.  Lebron has the "is he better than MJ?" thing to live up to... (but MJ only did it with Scottie).

Are you all ok with us buying us a ring?

#2 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 458 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

yes....its a capped league so were not really buying anything...brooklyn was the last team to try and that did fail. We are only 6th in payroll right now which while certainly high is not ridiculous. Also we were 3rd or 4th lowest in cost per win last season, so we actually payed a low amount for wins. (Cavs and GSW were 1 and 2 iirc).

Edited by Losthief, 04 August 2015 - 07:14 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#3 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 210 posts
    • LocationIsrael

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:33 AM

There are too many players on this team's rotation that either started their NBA career here (Bev, DMo, TJones, Capela) or chose playing here when they had real options elsewhere (DH, Ariza, Brewer, Thornton). That's not buying a championship, that's running a good organization that uses money in the best way.

#4 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,288 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:31 PM

How about this debate? Is throwing around the phrase "buying a ring" kind of hot take-ish? It's one of those local sports radio topics, at least it's reminiscent of something akin to that for me. Not trying to be annoying or argumentative but I have never felt that in this Harden era that the Rockets are trying to buy anything.

I was not aware of the statistics but I am enlightened by Losthief's post about cost per wins. It kind of makes sense considering Morey is the captain right? I think in the modern sports era there is much more nuance when debating payroll, free agents, player development and all the machinations surrounding long term franchise building than there was in the past like when I started watching NBA basketball in the 1980's.
    How sweet it is!

#5 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,286 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Buying a ring is a red hot take and is an dumb ideal in my view. Why is spending money you have a bad thing? Should the entire league just be the sixers and throw out a cheap garbage product but still rake in cash from tv revenues? 

#6 John P

John P

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 111 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

when I think of buying a team, I think of going out and spending on every free agent that is a good player, and putting together a frankenstein team that way.   The Nets push with KG, Pierce, Johnson, etc... is the perfect example.   

I am a total homer, but it feels like the Rox are simply building through draft and development (Bev, DMo, TJ, Capella), trading smart (Harden, Lawson, Brewer last year) and also signing good FA where they can (Howard, Smith last year, etc...).   

That is just good...no great, team management.  All players cost money and we are paying for good players, but I don't feel like we are just buying our way to a ring.   This has taken time, luck, and great GM management.  We haven't ever taken a short cut, unless you count signing Howard in FA, rather than building a center from the ground up.

The pieces fit together....assuming that Lawson fits next year.

Hell, even the spurs just bought LA.   The eternal internal development squad just made their best or second best player a FA signing.

#7 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 313 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

How are we "buying a ring" in any way? we are under the cap and have not colluded with top tier free agents to join the same franchise and jumped into the luxury tax willingly? I do not understand this take at all.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users