Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

The keys to the Houston Rockets' season: #1- Ty Lawson

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:23 AM

New post: The keys to the Houston Rockets' season: #1- Ty Lawson
    By: Rahat Huq

This was really predictable.  The team makes a blockbuster trade and team blogger subsequently scrambles to compose a list of the top factors predicating the team's success, citing the recent transaction above all else.  Oh so, so predictable.  But this really wasn't that obvious.  You could argue Harden's the biggest factor; or you could argue for the Howard maintenance plan, depending on how you see it.  For instance, if Dwight's not healthy, Houston doesn't stand a chance.  But Lawson's production is the item of greatest variation from last season's mean.  Harden is pretty likely to be about as good again, and Howard is pretty likely to have better health, if even only slightly.  (If he only plays half a season again, they already won 56 games withstanding that output).  But Lawson is what can push the Rockets completely over the top.

I don't need to speak much of Lawson's merits, as that has already been beaten to death.  By some standards, he was one of the best overall offensive players in the league, with his ability to create for others and score at the rim.  The Rockets literally addressed their greatest weakness without giving up anything.  That's amazing.  It's like a fat guy losing 30 lbs. without having to diet or work out.  (That analogy works, right?)

I'll get called a homer, but the Rockets weren't really that far away last season.  They were within a few plays of being up 2-0 against the Warriors, playing without two starters.  Funny how seldom that point is acknowledged, as if bearing little to no significance.  It's not Houston's fault the team had roster parity with capable replacements ready to fill the void.  That doesn't mean the Rockets would not have been better off with featuring the superior incumbents.  I firmly believe the Western Conference Finals would have been a different series entirely had Patrick Beverley and Donatas Motiejunas suited up.  Maybe not a Rockets Finals appearance, but a different series nonetheless.  There is value to not playing two 35 year old point guards in the biggest series in franchise history in 20 years.  And, because Terrence Jones.

I don't know if Ty Lawson can get his life together, but I do know Ron Artest gave Houston fans one of the wildest rides in recent memory.  I believe in taking risks, especially when the price is so low.  I envision Lawson starting with Harden in the backcourt, and then quarterbacking the second unit when the Bearded One rests.  Last year, where the team went to Dwight post-ups in that spot, they'll now have another premiere option, while running the same sets.  And Corey Brewer's return means Houston will probably lead the league in fastbreak points.

This will immediately be the best backcourt in Rockets history, and no worse than the third most lethal in the entire league.  You paired a top 5 MVP candidate with a top 10 point guard, both in the primes of their careers.  Rejoice.

https://youtu.be/qfaq6_TkUMI

It's amazing to think, in retrospect, at the deadline, most fans would have sold their souls to get Dragic.  And above that, all preferred Lawson, but all were resigned in knowledge of his unavailability.  Things fall in your lap in life sometimes, like instead of finding a quarter in the sofa cushion, unearthing a $10 bill.

Really the only concern, aside from the risk he cannot overcome his personal demons--which is a very real concern--are his defensive inabilities.  My response is that we made the freaking West Finals playing Jason Terry and Pablo Prigioni.  You literally cannot step down from that.

If the Houston Rockets win the NBA championship this season, the greatest factor in promoting that outcome will be the performance of Ty Lawson.

#2 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 393 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:39 AM

We have freaking Ty Lawson.  It still hasn't set in yet.

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:07 AM

I'd like to play devil's advocate and disagree with you but... i can't. 

The play of Ty Lawson will determine whether we win a championship or we're the same team as last year. Even with San Antonio's improvements, the Clippers' improvements, and Durant's (hopefully) improved health, we're on the same level as those teams (and the Warriors). 

#4 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 475 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

from twitter:

Plyr A:36mpg, 17.6ppg, 10apg, 44.5% FG, 30% 3ptFG, 3.8 to/pg

Plyr B:36mpg, 15.2ppg, 9.6 apg, 43.6% FG, 34% 3ptFG, 2.5 to/pg

A:Wall

B:Lawson

'nough said....great steal

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#5 jz13

jz13

• Members
        • Pip
        • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

One thing I would add to this is the importance of Lawson's 3pt % creeping up.  It should.  He was a very effective spot up 3pt shooter (not so much off the dribble).  It's important he's at 38% or higher when playing with Harden.  

The offensive possibilities are scary with a Harden, Lawson, Dmo, Ariza, Howard lineup.  2 guys that can initiate the 1st AND secondary pick and roll, the best roll guy in the league, surrounded by 4 guys who can shoot the 3 at 37% or better.  How do you guard that?  Add to this 2 guys who can break down the defense one on one and a very capable post player.  Last year the best teams loaded up on Harden and the ball stopped after the first pass...shouldn't be a problem next year.

On defense we need Ariza to be Ariza and guard the best 1-3 guy.  Howard just needs to do what he does and stay out of foul trouble.  They really should consider making him the primary defender on elite 4 guys like Griffin and Aldridge...why not, his most important asset to this team is defense.  Dmo needs to continue to be in the right place at the right time and use his length...he's a very capable defender (needs to improve his rebounding though).   The hope for Harden/Lawson is that reduced offensive burden and minutes will lead to increased energy available for defense.  Harden's proven to be capable when he's focused and not gassed.  

I see a top 3 offensive team and a top 5 defensive team.

#6 John P

John P

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 111 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

really love it but I must say, the weight is really on McHale and staff to make this work.

I think if you get the rotations right, then it should.

I think holding Harden and Howard to 35 minutes a night would be ideal....if not more for Howard.

That leaves 13 minutes where Lawson and DMo/Capella are running while the big guys rest.

Starting Harden and Lawson together should work, but I would rest Lawson quickly, after say 6 minutes or so, to save him to run the 2nd unit.

Its the perimeter D that will suffer of course. but that is to be expected. 

I know everyone cites Prigs and Terry's D as evidence we can still be strong with Lawson in there with Harden, but I hope the egos on the team stay in check so that if Bev ends up being the better fit in clutch D moments, all are ok with him being out there.  Probably not a big deal.

I think also, one should mention Terry (has he resigned yet?) and Chuck's presence will be a huge benefit for the team.  They can play quality spot minutes but more importantly, help guide this team and help them keep their heads.

Chuck's help with Dmo and TJ down low, playing immovable post and rebounding, could potentially be huge. 

Hopefully we can bring the Chuckster and all of Houston a championship.

#7 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,303 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

Wow, it's barely sinking in for me. This is a great time to be a Rockets fan. I cannot wait for this season to get started!
            How sweet it is!

#8 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

If we don't win a championship, hopefully we do, do we trade Howard for someone like Beal or another up and comer(like Harden was) and give DMo the reins at center?

Why so Serious? :D

#9 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 475 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

I personally don't think dmo is a center...but i could be wrong...if we keep the 3 tjones, capela and dmo i'd be ok with it i guess, assuming we got good value. Keep in mind though Dwight has a opt out this year, so he can decline trades essentially by saying he will opt out. Also, I probably wouldn't trade Dwight, as he is still a top 10 force when healthy.

Edited by Losthief, 04 August 2015 - 06:33 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#10 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 347 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

I'll get called a homer, but the Rockets weren't really that far away last season.  They were within a few plays of being up 2-0 against the Warriors, playing without two starters.  Funny how seldom that point is acknowledged, as if bearing little to no significance. 

This was not mentioned ONCE until the waning moments of the last game of the season by Jeff Van Gundy (IMO the only national broadcaster that has EVER given Houston any credit for anything). I would have loved to see Bev go Bev on the MVP. That incessant pressure gets under guys' skin and might have altered Curry's game, even if only slightly. We really missed DMo in the paint as well. Is it October yet?

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#11 Willk

Willk

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 311 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

John Schuhmann - posted some interesting facts on Twitter today. The league leaders in assists on drives were 2. James Harden 1. Ty Lawson. The league leader in points on drives - James Harden. League Leader in points in the clutch - James Harden. League Leader in assists in the clutch - Ty Lawson. When does the season begin?

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,128 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

I found another interesting tidbit over at Reddit.com.  Some guy ranked teams according to how well opposing PG's performed against them on the aggregate across the season.  He used a mix of advanced metrics from a few different sites.  You can read about it here if you care.  The good news is Houston came in 5th!

Bucks (by a margin too) - 19.0 PPG , 4.8 RPG, 7.0 APG, 4.0 TPG , 39% FG

Clippers -                       18.7 PPG,  5.3 RPG, 8.0 APG, 3.6 TPG, 40% FG

Pistons -                        18.5 PPG,  5.0 RPG, 8.2 APG, 3.2 TPG, 42% FG

Utah -                           20.0 PPG,  5.0 RPG, 7.0 APG, 3.0 TPG, 43% FG

Rockets -                       20.0 PPG,  5.1 RPG, 7.4 APG, 4.2 TPG, 42% FG

Warriors/memphis right after them

This is by no means definitive, but it's a great indicator that, overall, our team defense was very good.  I posted this here because it has been mentioned repeatedly that Lawson brings some serious concerns on the defensive end.

After clicking through some of this guy's other posts, it seems SF's performed well against the Rockets last year.  We ranked 6th worst in the league in that category.  We also came in 6th against opposing centers.  This seems weird considering our two "strongest defenders" were at those positions; although, I recognize Dwight missed significant time.

However it happens--I don't care.  As long as we have more points than them at the end of the game it's all the same to me.

#13 Willk

Willk

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 311 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:33 AM

I found another interesting tidbit over at Reddit.com.  Some guy ranked teams according to how well opposing PG's performed against them on the aggregate across the season.  He used a mix of advanced metrics from a few different sites.  You can read about it here if you care.  The good news is Houston came in 5th!

This is by no means definitive, but it's a great indicator that, overall, our team defense was very good.  I posted this here because it has been mentioned repeatedly that Lawson brings some serious concerns on the defensive end.

After clicking through some of this guy's other posts, it seems SF's performed well against the Rockets last year.  We ranked 6th worst in the league in that category.  We also came in 6th against opposing centers.  This seems weird considering our two "strongest defenders" were at those positions; although, I recognize Dwight missed significant time.

However it happens--I don't care.  As long as we have more points than them at the end of the game it's all the same to me.

Johnny - nice find. I have a couple of theories about being so good against PGs.

1. When Bev is healthy he is an above average defender. He is pest that bothers other PGs and tends to get in their head.

2. After Bev got hurt, Ariza guarded PGs a lot.

It makes sense that PGs would have problems against the Rockets two best perimeter players.

I also have a theory as to why SFs played so well against the Rockets. Bev, Ariza, D-Mo, & Howard are all above average to great defenders. Our worst defender is Harden, who is average when he tries. I have a feeling that Harden was guarding SFs as much as Ariza or even more after Bev's injuries.

Anyway, that is my two cents.

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,128 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

It's in poor taste, but it's funny so enjoy this t-shirt graphic some creative folks have come out with.

tylawson.png?format=1000w

Here's a link to their site: LINK  They have all kinds of fun Houston sports/culture gear.

#15 Willk

Willk

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 311 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:59 AM

It's in poor taste, but it's funny so enjoy this t-shirt graphic some creative folks have come out with.

tylawson.png?format=1000w

Here's a link to their site: LINK They have all kinds of fun Houston sports/culture gear.

JG - that is so wrong lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users