Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (08 August 2015 - 06:22 PM) I don't blame him I guess. The dude gave us LOTS more than I thought he was going to when we signed him a year ago. I remember rolling my eyes at his signing last summer. But he went above and beyond for us
@  TTrainW : (08 August 2015 - 06:48 AM) Looks like Terry may delcine our offer and sign with the Pelicans.. shame, would have been a nice locker room presence as well as capable backup & shooter
@  slick shoes : (06 August 2015 - 04:43 PM) If the Lakers make the playoffs this coming season, then five or six teams' planes all crashed together mid air. not impossible, but VERY VERY unlikely.
@  SadLakerFan : (05 August 2015 - 07:45 PM) Everything is in place for the Rockets. Should be a great year. Oh yeah, Kobe said we are absolutely a playoff team, so I might not come around here much.
@  Losthief : (04 August 2015 - 07:18 PM) good q and a w/ corey brewer: http://www.cbssports...andom-drug-test
@  thenit : (03 August 2015 - 10:21 PM) never knew he who dated but CNN put that story on with the 200 mill contract. kardashians bf getting a 200 mill contract lol
@  thejohnnygold : (03 August 2015 - 08:39 PM) Is it any better or worse than his last girlfriend? It doesn't concern me.
@  slick shoes : (03 August 2015 - 06:50 PM) is the beard seeing one of the kardashians? sorry, im not up to date with the latest TMZ reports.
@  thenit : (03 August 2015 - 06:45 PM) Is it just me or are u guys worried that we will get the kardashian jinx with the beard?
@  Losthief : (02 August 2015 - 09:23 PM) yeah, he looked good for 50.
@  majik19 : (02 August 2015 - 09:22 PM) did anyone see the Dream's Dream Shake at the NBA Africa Game? He's still got it!
@  slick shoes : (30 July 2015 - 12:58 PM) Once, we ink Terry to a one year vet minimum deal, I will be VERY pleased with our roster entering the season. Finals appearance, anyone?
@  Losthief : (30 July 2015 - 04:19 AM) And the Chuck Wagon is back in town!
@  thejohnnygold : (24 July 2015 - 06:40 PM) Greg Popovich gives a 25 minute interview (happily) and offers insight on lots of things. Worth listening to. LINK
@  slick shoes : (24 July 2015 - 02:25 PM) I'm glad Prigs found himself a home with a contender. Seemed like a high character guy.
@  jorgeaam : (23 July 2015 - 03:10 AM) So first Smith and now Prigs to the Clips, if you can't beat 'em join 'em
@  rocketrick : (22 July 2015 - 05:04 PM) Rockets actually are only committed to Lawson for 2015-16 season as they renegotiated with Lawson's agent and have a team option for 2016-17 season. Is Morey incredible or what when negotiating?
@  redfaithful : (20 July 2015 - 08:51 PM) Sorry, I'm too far away to offer help :rolleyes:
@  thejohnnygold : (20 July 2015 - 07:29 PM) Indeed, I do :lol: It gets worse....they live in enemy territory...Plano, TX.
@  Losthief : (20 July 2015 - 05:28 PM) ah so u understand the urge to drink!

Photo

Rockets All Time Starting Five

22 replies to this topic

#1 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

I have seen this done for other teams, but was curious as to who you all would have on your "All Time Best" Rockets squad.

Here is the Bleacher Report edition:

http://bleacherrepor...-starting-fives

Thoughts?

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:53 AM

I would agree with the writer on all except McGrady at SF. Rudy T was a star player, but never had the overall talent level of McGrady.  come to think of it I probably would go with Steve Francis at PG. while Murphy no doubt deserves to be in the conversation Stevie had more raw talent. Murphy had the longer career with us, but Stevie carried us during his years.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,083 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

We all know Hakeem has to be #1 at center, but Moses Malone deserves to be mentioned.  The guy was dominant for us for 5 years.  He led the league in rebounding 3 times during that span, played almost every single minute of every single game during that time, and took us to the finals (losing to a loaded Celtics team 4-2).  

Steve Francis was an electric player, but I'm not sold on him being our #1 PG.

#4 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:56 AM

Dude PG gotta be Rafer Alston....i mean...come on who else is there? #RaferLifer

seriously though....peak McGrady>Rudy T, but I'd cheat and play T-Mac as the PG because that is basically what he did...i mean we had rafer alston as his 'pg'....

Also, people forget how great Ralph Sampson was (when healthy) next to Hakeem at PF. #TwinTowers. I might put him talent-wise over otis. Or i'd go with elvin hayes...probably hayes as the starter...but disagree about thorpe as the 'best' PF.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#5 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

Controversial but how about Harden over Drexler. I know Drexler is an all time great and he was a big part of that second championship but Harden has almost played as long as drexler in Houston and his numbers are better. Could you imagine Hakeem with last year Harden? Just to clarify i am not saying Harden over prime Drexler.

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,575 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

PG = Harden
    SG = Drexler
    SF = TMac
    PF = Hakeem
    C = Moses

What we sacrifice on defense will be more than made up for on offense.

Why so Serious? :D

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,102 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

nobody said we could move them around :lol:  in that case we are just looking at the five best players talent wise we have ever had which would make me go in a much different direction

1. DREAM nothing else needs to be said

2. Moses- I agree JG the man was a hell of a player, but DREAM was my boy

3.Drexler- while he didn't have as much time here, when he came to us on that valentine trade it was like a puzzle was finally put together. he should have always been here. Rodney MCcrea was a decent player, but we had a chance to draft Clyde the same year we drafted Sampson

4. Yao- I know many will disagree here, but injuries robbed Yao. he was a hell of a talent. he had a shot that nobody in the league could stop. it took him a couple of years to adapt to the league, but if he doesn't get hurt he was becoming a powerhouse

5. McGrady- injuries robbed him same as Yao, but was n questions about his talent

honorable mention - Murphy, Hayes, Rudy T, L Loyd, Sampson, Thorp, S Francis

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,575 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:42 PM

You have three big men. My team had guys who could play multiple positions. But according to your parameters...Your list is good.

Why so Serious? :D

#9 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:03 AM

nobody said we could move them around :lol: in that case we are just looking at the five best players talent wise we have ever had which would make me go in a much different direction
      1. DREAM nothing else needs to be said
      2. Moses- I agree JG the man was a hell of a player, but DREAM was my boy
      3.Drexler- while he didn't have as much time here, when he came to us on that valentine trade it was like a puzzle was finally put together. he should have always been here. Rodney MCcrea was a decent player, but we had a chance to draft Clyde the same year we drafted Sampson
      4. Yao- I know many will disagree here, but injuries robbed Yao. he was a hell of a talent. he had a shot that nobody in the league could stop. it took him a couple of years to adapt to the league, but if he doesn't get hurt he was becoming a powerhouse
      5. McGrady- injuries robbed him same as Yao, but was n questions about his talent

honorable mention - Murphy, Hayes, Rudy T, L Loyd, Sampson, Thorp, S Francis

Still no Harden? Where's the love for the beard in honorable mentions?

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,102 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:46 AM

Still no Harden? Where's the love for the beard in honorable mentions?

true that.........Harden is worthy of honorable mention....D12 too.......my bad :)

Edited by rockets best fan, 02 August 2015 - 12:52 AM.

#11 marbony81110

marbony81110

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 69 posts
      • LocationGermany

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

PG - Francis

SG - Harden

SF - McGrady

PF - Olajuwon

C - Ming

I wanted to go with Kenny Smith or Calvin Murphy for the PG, but Francis was a monster during his time with the Rockets. As much as I love Clyde Drexler I had to go with Harden. They have been with the Rockets for about the same amount of time, but Harden is a really special player. So was Clyde, but Harden has a much more versatile and effective skill set.

There isn't a SF in the Rockets history that come close to McGrady. Health derailed him. He was a monster on O and very good on D. I kind of cheated with the Ming and Olajuwon pairing. Hakeem played center, but let's be honest he could have played every position on the floor. Ming was a legitimate 7 footer with serious game. Darn those injuries. This lineup could compete with anybody. Impossible to stop on O with enough D to slow any team down. Imagine Francis, Harden and McGrady on the break or Hakeem and Ming on the opposite sides of the block :)

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,083 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

Whoa...That's fine if someone prefers Harden to Drexler, but let's not diminish Clyde "The Glide" Drexler's game.  The guy was James Harden before Harden was even born.  He attacked the rim mercilessly and did it in a time when opposing bigs were not only allowed to maul people, but were actively looking to do so.  Clyde was a physical specimen with the speed and strength to slash through defenses and finish over those bigs.  He was a well rounded player who filled the stat sheet.

He also led the Blazers against the Pistons and Bulls in the Finals before finally getting over the hump against Orlando.  He ran into two "buzz-saw" teams or he would most likely have 3 rings.

Drexler was part of the league's upper echelon and was uttered in the same breaths as Jordan, Bird, Magic, Thomas and Wilkins.  If he had been in a larger city I think his legend would be much bigger.  The guy destroyed people by dunking them into submission....don't take my word for it...watch this video!

*Edit: seriously people...watch that video.  Drexler was a fierce dunker and the list of people he destroys in that video is awesome.  Drexler attacked defenders in a way few players ever have.

#13 marbony81110

marbony81110

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 69 posts
      • LocationGermany

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

Whoa...That's fine if someone prefers Harden to Drexler, but let's not diminish Clyde "The Glide" Drexler's game.  The guy was James Harden before Harden was even born.  He attacked the rim mercilessly and did it in a time when opposing bigs were not only allowed to maul people, but were actively looking to do so.  Clyde was a physical specimen with the speed and strength to slash through defenses and finish over those bigs.  He was a well rounded player who filled the stat sheet.

He also led the Blazers against the Pistons and Bulls in the Finals before finally getting over the hump against Orlando.  He ran into two "buzz-saw" teams or he would most likely have 3 rings.

Drexler was part of the league's upper echelon and was uttered in the same breaths as Jordan, Bird, Magic, Thomas and Wilkins.  If he had been in a larger city I think his legend would be much bigger.  The guy destroyed people by dunking them into submission....don't take my word for it...watch this video!

*Edit: seriously people...watch that video.  Drexler was a fierce dunker and the list of people he destroys in that video is awesome.  Drexler attacked defenders in a way few players ever have.

Clyde is one of my all time favorite players. I never owned a pair of Jordans, but when Clyde had his own shoe I bought a pair. That's how much I liked Clyde. With that said...Harden is just better and he hasn't even reached his ceiling. Actually, I can't say better. Clyde was awesome for 15 years. Let me say it this way..Harden has a better skill set and he hasn't even reached his peak.

#14 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 254 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:30 PM

There are two ways to approach this - one is if you were to look at all Rockets' players and say if you had one season, who would you pick? (And you can't cheat and use say Charles Barkley's Phoenix years, it has to be Houston Charles Barkley). The other way is accounting for longevity in a Rockets' uniform.

One season

PG: Francis

SG: Drexler

SF: McGrady

PF: Moses Malone

C: Dream

Longevity

PG: Murphy

SG: Tomjanovich

SF: McGrady

PF: Moses Malone

C: Dream

I know I cheated by putting Malone next to Dream on both teams... Probably wouldn't work in today's NBA but would've in most other eras. 

By the way, everyone should look up Hakeem's Dream Shake in the NBA Africa game. Incredible - so much more skill than any center in the league today. 

Edited by majik19, 02 August 2015 - 09:31 PM.

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,083 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:31 PM

What about the year Glide averaged 18.5 pts and 8 assists along with 5.6 rebounds, and 2.6 steals?  Then he followed that by having very "Harden-like" seasons with 27, 6, and 6....27 6, and 8.....all while maintaining the 2+ steals per game.

His advanced efficiency numbers will never compare, but a lot of what he did was during the "mid-range" era and also was during the golden age of centers.  That being said, his fg% and 2fg% are higher than Harden's.

#16 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 141 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:15 AM

I loved Drexler. For a very short time I even did his free throw routine in games. Drexler is a hall of famer and his body of work for me makes him a better player than Harden. That said if we are only talking about Drexlers time in Houston it gets much closer and I think the beard edges him out by a whisker.

A little bit off the topic I really wish the nba vault for league pass would include games across all eras. I would seriously pay some coin for that service. You know when people say things like Ralph Sampson was a 7 foot 4 Kevin Garnett to go back and have a look. Also That first Rockets championship is a blur now to go back and see every round before the finals. I just don't back my player evaluation from when I was a kid or teenager. I collected Sprewell cards so I know I was far way off!!

#17 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 458 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:18 AM

Can't help with all games but most playoff games are on youtube.

example google: rockets 1994 wcf youtube (for jazz v hou), rockets 1994 wcsf youtube (for pho v hou), etc etc.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,102 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:24 AM

I am shocked at how little respect Drexler's skillset has received :huh: Drexler during his time in the league was the second best SG in the league behind the Michael fellow. when he put his head down he is going to drive to the hoop and you couldn't stop him even though you knew what he was going to do. Harden probably has a better jumper than Drexler did, but I agree with JG. Drexler was a much better finisher around the rim and he did it during a time when the league had superior shot blockers compared to today's lot. he didn't depend on the Ref's to bail him out. he rammed the ball down your throat. you better get out of the way before you end up on a poster :) if you want to see some vintage Drexler try watching the 95 championship run. the man was on a mission. while Dream was having the Centers for lunch Clyde was having the opposing wings for lunch

#19 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 313 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

While the dunks are impressive, those floaters had my jaw on my desk. If Beard could add that element to his game.....

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#20 marbony81110

marbony81110

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 69 posts
          • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:58 PM

I loved Drexler. For a very short time I even did his free throw routine in games. Drexler is a hall of famer and his body of work for me makes him a better player than Harden. That said if we are only talking about Drexlers time in Houston it gets much closer and I think the beard edges him out by a whisker.

A little bit off the topic I really wish the nba vault for league pass would include games across all eras. I would seriously pay some coin for that service. You know when people say things like Ralph Sampson was a 7 foot 4 Kevin Garnett to go back and have a look. Also That first Rockets championship is a blur now to go back and see every round before the finals. I just don't back my player evaluation from when I was a kid or teenager. I collected Sprewell cards so I know I was far way off!!

I still have the VHS of recording of the Finals against the Knicks and the whole playoff run in 95. Its in a box in the attic, but I have it:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users