Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more

Photo

Golden State Warriors 115, Houston Rockets 80: So, that just happened.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

New post: Golden State Warriors 115, Houston Rockets 80: So, that just happened.
    By: Paul McGuire

The Golden State Warriors are a historically good team.

It is more than their 67 regular season wins. It is how they consistently blew out opponents throughout this season and finished with among the highest point margins in NBA history.

I think that there are at best ten teams in the entire history of the NBA that would be favored to beat the Warriors in a series, and realistically more like five. And when you restrict it to teams in this century, it would only be the 2001 Lakers.

The Houston Rockets are not one of the best teams in NBA history. So, after two games where they hung in there, they got destroyed by Golden State's passing display on the offensive end and their stifling defense on the other end.

Oh, and Stephen Curry is broken.

The thing about the Warriors, Curry, and Thompson is that some of you may have heard of the concept called "gravity" in basketball.

Basically, elite players attract a lot of presence and players to them. The defense warps to them to make sure that they do not go off, which allows other players to take advantage to score. We see this with Harden - whenever he has the ball, there are one or two players behind his defender hedging over to prevent him from scoring. While we would love to see Harden say "let's do this", take on all two or three guys, and score anyways, Harden normally makes the right move and instead drops the ball off to the open man.

Of course, this actually requires that said open man can hit the open shot. This has not happened for much of the season and it did not happen tonight. Josh Smith was Houston's best three-point shooter, going 3-5. No one else hit more than one, which lets Golden State pack the paint and prevent Harden and Howard from getting inside. The fact that Terrence Jones has been problematic in this series did not help the interior war either.

But I digress. What makes a shooter like Curry so unique is that unlike Harden, who warps a defense when he has the ball, Curry warps a basketball defense all the time. His mere presence and the threat of his shot is so dangerous that opposing defenses will do whatever it takes to prevent him from being wide open. Throughout Game 3, Houston switched on basically every possession. We saw Josh Smith stuck on Stephen Curry a lot throughout this game. Curry would then blow by Smith for the interior score or the pass to the open man.

Curry is not the only shooter who warps defense by his presence. Kyle Korver is a great example, and I do not think it is a coincidence that Atlanta went on that huge regular season run when he was on fire and has now looked mediocre since he has cooled off. So is Klay Thompson as well.

But Curry is great because he can pass as well as hit that blasted three-pointer. Golden State didn't beat Houston because Curry scored 40 points. This game was over at the end of the first half, and Curry had "just" 18 points at that point. Golden State beat Houston because they kept getting the open man because Houston's defenses were so worried about Curry...and Curry hit the three pointers anyways. The result was this blowout tonight.

I'm not particularly frustrated with this loss in and of itself. I stated at the beginning of the playoffs that my goal was "Western Conference Finals and pray someone else knocks out the Warriors, because we aren't going to." The first has been accomplished. The second did not. The reality is that Golden State is a very impressive team, that seems to boast no weaknesses whatsoever. They've taken advantages of Houston's to get this 3-0 lead.

The frustrating thing is I have no clue how anyone's going to beat the Warriors over the next few years. Sure, they'll be hefting a big luxury tax bill next season. But after that season? David Lee's salary comes off the books, and who knows what the 2016 cap is going to look like. I can't believe that the NBA could very well create a situation where "every team has $20 million in cap room" for the anti-competitive aspects that it could create. But really, what does the NBA lose if one of the best teams in the league creates a super-duper team by adding another elite free agent like Durant? It's not like it did not enjoy the Heatles.

Worrying about that frustrates me more than this game did. If you've followed the Rockets this season, Houston lost for all the reasons that have plagued the team throughout this season - inconsistent bench, lack of shooting, turnovers and the like. The only thing that matters is figuring out how to move beyond this loss - and how the heck Houston is going to beat this Warriors team going forward.

#2 Willk

Willk

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 309 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Don't give up just yet.

#3 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,296 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Thanks McGuire, good stuff. I'm right there with you.

Two things I'd note about the Warriors is health and continuity. For their luck in health they should look no further than the Thunder to see what can happen though of course that's almost the worst case scenario. Now look at how long these guys have been together and you see one reason why they always seem to be on the same page. Curry and Thompson have four years together and when you add Bogut, Green, Barnes, Lee and Ezeli it's 3 years versus Harden and Howard in their second year with Ariza, Smith, Terry, Prigioni, Capela and Brewer all just becoming Rockets this year or even mid season. That's a huge difference that nobody really talks about. The Rockets will be better next year and will compete better with the Warriors. It would appear that Harden and co.'s challenge going forward will be those boys in Golden State.
      How sweet it is!

#4 Willk

Willk

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 309 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

Thanks McGuire, good stuff. I'm right there with you.

Two things I'd note about the Warriors is health and continuity. For their luck in health they should look no further than the Thunder to see what can happen though of course that's almost the worst case scenario. Now look at how long these guys have been together and you see one reason why they always seem to be on the same page. Curry and Thompson have four years together and when you add Bogut, Green, Barnes, Lee and Ezeli it's 3 years versus Harden and Howard in their second year with Ariza, Smith, Terry, Prigioni, Capela and Brewer all just becoming Rockets this year or even mid season. That's a huge difference that nobody really talks about. The Rockets will be better next year and will compete better with the Warriors. It would appear that Harden and co.'s challenge going forward will be those boys in Golden State.

Mario -

You made good points. This Warriors team has been together since 2012/13. This Rockets team has been together since February. This is part of the growing pains that teams have to go through to win championships.

It will be interesting if the Warriors will pay someone to take David Lee off of their hands next year. If not and they re-sign Draymond Green, then their tax bill next year will Net-esque.

Do not forget to include the Pelicans in the teams that Houston will have to battle over the next 5 years. You could also add OKC to that mix if they can re-sign Durant and Westbrook.

#5 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 373 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

Unfortunately the current construction of the Rockets roster is much less than ideal. And with Bev and D-Mo out it just exacerbates the situation. The driving principle behind the Rockets offense is spacing and the three point shot. Jones, Smith and Brewer are not much of a threat from beyond the arc, but Smith can get hot for stretches. So there are three players getting heavy minutes that a smart team like GS can just not bother to guard outside. Thus all the paint flooding we saw last night.

Defense is yet another thorny issue, especially at the PG spot. Prig and Terry cannot guard any top tier point guard. Asking Johnson to stick with Curry is asking far to much. Smith and Jones do not really have the attention span to stick with mobile power forwards.

Morey has some serious work to do this off season, and not much money to do it with.

#6 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,296 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

Willk you're 100% right about Durant and Davis and their teams but this history and storyline between the Rockets and warriors is building to be something akin to what the Celtics did to LeBron for years. I see Harden continually improving as a superstar and leader and I expect he will improve even more next year. That game two ending probably haunts him in the offseason and pushes him to greater heights.
          How sweet it is!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users