Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more

Photo

Houston Rockets 98, Golden State Warriors 99: Of all the times to not attack...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 98, Golden State Warriors 99: Of all the times to not attack...
    By: Mitchell Felker

James Harden makes his bones attacking the paint.  Everything in his arsenal is predicated on his ability to get to the basket.  All those free throws, that wicked step-back; nothing would be as effective if he wasn't so good at getting to the rim.

So last night, with precious few seconds left on the clock in a one point game and the ball in his hands after rebounding the Harrison Barnes miss, Harden raced up court for what would surely be a last second play to decide the game.

"There's no one there, there's no one there!" I screamed at my TV, fully expecting him to get to get into the paint.

But Harden didn't attack.  He haphazardly went into Steph Curry's body, then pulled up so that he could play a wall-pass with Dwight. Once he had the ball back, with no real plan of attack, he bobbled the ball off the Splash Brothers' feet.  Game Over.  Warriors 2, Rockets 0.

Why didn't Harden just attack the basket like he does so many times a game, usually with bigger defenders protecting the rim?

IMG_1701-2

I mean, I get that he's double-teamed, and they do have the middle of the floor walled off, but there's no big man and he's got both defenders on their heels.  And if he didn't like that look, why not call a timeout and draw something up?

But after Harden pulled up and waited for everyone to catch up to the play, there had to be a better option than attempting to drive at the same double-team that he just forewent, who happens to now have their feet set with backup behind them.

image1-5

It's literally the same look he just bypassed, except a little worse.  Even if a timeout was not an option at this point, why not run right at Dwight Howard's shoulder and use him to create space for a shot?

It was a pressure situation and there was no time to think, that's why. Harden played so well, but by the very end, he'd run out of magic.  It's just terribly unfortunate that Harden's awesome performance was all for not.

Harden scored 38 points on just 21 shots, but this wasn't a free throw contest like a lot of Harden's big scoring nights.  He was 9-10 from the charity stripe, sure, but he was also 3-6 from deep and 13-21 (62%) overall. For the second game in a row he was an assist shy of a triple-double, adding 10 rebounds, three steals and a block to his impressive box score. This was the best, most complete game for Harden in the playoffs.  He and Curry duked it out all night and, if not for the late-game blunder, Harden outplayed the league MVP.

Houston fell behind by as many as 17 in the first half, but Harden was their answer.  And it wasn't a flashy hit-em-quick comeback like the Rockets are wont to do.  They did go on a 14-2 run to close the gap, but it was a methodical approach that got them back in it.  Harden scored 12 points in the second quarter on 5-6 shooting and was absolutely ruthless from the midrange.  The analytics community is fond of saying that only a select few players (Dirk, Aldridge, Durant etc) make shooting 15-18 footers worth the effort, but that step-back jumper that Harden perfected this year just added a year or two to his prime.  That shot will save him from crashing to floor so much after attacking the rim time and again.

The Rockets might not have needed such a run in the second had the bench not been so bad.  For a unit that got so much praise for their second round performance, they have looked absolutely ordinary two games into this series.  Josh Smith was a little too aggressive last night, taking too many shots in the first half and then disappearing in the second. Corey Brewer made little statistical impact and finished with a +/- of -23.  Pablo Prigioni somehow managed to finish with a -10 in only seven minutes of action. The only Rockets player off the bench to really show up was Terrence Jones, who finished with a line of 12 points, 2 boards, an assist, a steal and 3 blocks.  He attacked and played fearlessly, although there were several times he took contested shots rather than kicking out to open shooters.

Dwight Howard ended up playing despite his sprained knee, and played well.  He shot 73% from the field for 19 points, but was only 3-7 from the stripe.  He did manage 17 rebounds (5 offensive), 2 steals and a block, but allowed too many layups in his vicinity.  Steph Curry especially squeaked by a few times for easy buckets while Howard was in the area.  His stat line looks better, but I'm not sure Howard made as much of an impact as Andrew Bogut (14 pts, 8 reb, 4 ast & 5 blk).

Besides Bogut and Curry (33 pts, 3 reb, 6 ast & 1 stl), the only other Warrior to really hurt the Rockets individually was Draymond Green.  He only shot 3-9 from the field, but stuffed the stat sheet with 12 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists and a steal & block each.  But where the Warriors really had the advantage was their bench.  For the second game in a row, Golden State went on a big run with their starters on the pine.  Shawn Livingston had another good game, making all four of his shots for 8 points and 4 rebounds.  Leandro Barbosa's 4 points and 3 assists don't look like much, but he was +13 in his time on the court.

The Rockets can't continue to let Golden State's bench decide games.  The Warriors second unit closed that big Rockets lead in Game 1, and they built a big lead in Game 2 against Houston's bench.  It hasn't been Houston's offense as much as the defense, and Kevin McHale needs to figure out a way to generate stops with his second unit on the floor.

The Warriors are the better (or just healthier) team, but I can promise you this: those "Over-Rated" chants that were echoing through Oracle Arena in Game 1 every time Harden touched the ball will not be heard for the rest of this series, regardless of how many games it goes.  They may not have believed it before, but there's not a Golden State fan out there that doesn't recognize how good the Beard really is anymore.

And for all those folks who thought that the Rockets were punching above their weight and didn't belong in the same class as the Warriors, those beliefs can be put to rest.  Without two of their five starters, the Rockets are just a few plays away from being up 2-0 in this series themselves.  I'd like to see what this series would look like if the Rockets were healthy and the Warriors were missing key-cogs like Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala.

But that's not the case.  Golden State is the healthiest team left in the playoffs and certainly the favorite to win it all.  Hopefully getting back to Houston will cure some of the Rockets problems, and those Toyota Center rims will be as soft and sticky for the Rockets as Oracle's were for the Warriors.  Just one or two breaks and the Rockets are right back in it.

#2 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 373 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

The Rockets played as well as can be expected. The defenses really just played the two franchise players straight up and shut everyone else down. Games like this one are to be expected when you have two bench players functioning as starters because of injuries. The third most productive Rockets player last night? T. Jones with a 12/2 game. It is what it is.

#3 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 77 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

So disappointing. The Rockets lost the two games by a combined 5 points without two starters. And yet that doesn't matter. It's still 2-0. Teams that come up 2-0 wins 94% of the time. Just saying.

#4 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 265 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

So disappointing. The Rockets lost the two games by a combined 5 points without two starters. And yet that doesn't matter. It's still 2-0. Teams that come up 2-0 wins 94% of the time. Just saying.

And only 9 teams have history have come back from 3-1.

If we can win these two games at home, we have an excellent chance. We showed we could win at Oracle - just another game where a bounce or two (or a foul, or a free throw) goes our way and we win.

One thing that is killing me - the played where Corey Brewer pulled Draymond Green on top of him and got called for the foul... Isn't that the definition of a moving screen by Green? He shuffled both feet over into Brewer's body and was not set. 

It's really easy to spring your great shooters when you can move into the defending player every time. 

#5 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 196 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

And teams that are up 3-1 win 97% of the time... we know the stats man. We don't need fans throwing in the towel especially considering how hard the Rockets have fought. We are watching a team scratch, claw, and fight for everything they are getting. If you think they are going to concede victory because they are down 2-0, you are sure in for a surprise. While some may be down from this game, I am actually in a peaceful place. I am enjoying every last second I get to see of this team especially Harden. We are witnessing our short-handed team going toe to toe with what is supposed to be a historically great team. Regardless of the outcome of this series, I personally think we tie it back up 2-2 in Houston, I could not be more proud of our players.

#6 adonneus

adonneus

• Members
          • Pip
          • 36 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

Teams that come up 2-0 wins 94% of the time. Just saying.

And only 9 teams have history have come back from 3-1.

In the same terms, teams that come up 3-1 win 96% of the time. :D

After the first game, we were all thinking, "I can't believe they missed that opportunity. They'll never get that close to the Warriors in Oakland again!" But lo, the Rockets were even closer in game 2. As they say, the series doesn't start until you win one on the other team's court, and the Warriors haven't done that. Until we lose at home, there's no reason to worry, especially with the Rockets' getting so close so far in Oracle.

#7 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 172 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

I've seen all these people on fan forums suddenly throwing around that 94% number unqualified once it was on Sports Center or whatever.  It's important to note that the number includes all of the completely one-sided series that happen every year.  In this year's first round, Cleveland was up 2-0 against Boston, Chicago was up 2-0 against Milwaukee, Washington was up 2-0 against Toronto, Memphis was up 2-0 against Portland, Golden State was up 2-0 against New Orleans, and your very own Houston Rockets were up 2-0 against Dallas.  That's just this year.  Throw in all of the 2-0 leads held by Jackson's Bulls, Jackson's Lakers, Pop's Spurs and every other great team you can remember, and that's how you get to 94% - it's foolish to extrapolate that to this situation. 

Here, we have the no. 1 seed vs. the no. 2 seed in the Western Conference finals, and the home team has held home court.  Nothing more.  Now, there might be other reasons that GS is the overwhelming favorite, not the least of which is the fact that they have a vastly better record and have owned the match-up.  But that 94% number, without further qualification, is terribly misleading.  Just saying.

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,118 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

In the same terms, teams that come up 3-1 win 96% of the time. :D

After the first game, we were all thinking, "I can't believe they missed that opportunity. They'll never get that close to the Warriors in Oakland again!" But lo, the Rockets were even closer in game 2. As they say, the series doesn't start until you win one on the other team's court, and the Warriors haven't done that. Until we lose at home, there's no reason to worry, especially with the Rockets' getting so close so far in Oracle.

Speak for yourself, please  :)

I do think the deck has been stacked against us in these first two games and coming up a little short should not elicit "what-ifs" and second guesses.  This team is really, really good.  The Warriors still have to win 2 more games against us.

Flag-Come-and-Take-It-old.jpg

#9 majik19

majik19

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 265 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:34 PM

I'll say one thing - it's been an entertaining as hell series so far. The national pundits thought that a) we would get destroyed and B) our "ugly" brand of basketball would not make for a fun series. I think this series could reach Clippers-Spurs levels from the first round, except we have one more thing going for us - we've got two very evenly matched MVP players taking the rock on both sides. (I guess you could argue Chris Paul and Kawhi Leonard did that in round 1... but Curry and Harden finished above those 2 in MVP voting, eh?) 

#10 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 166 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

It was good to see Jones rebound so well after a pretty bad game 1. It was also interesting to see Johnson get some of Pablo's minutes there. I wonder if it was because of his D? Pablo made the wrong rotation about 2 or 3 times in the first half, and I also remember a super wimpy closeout on Curry when he was red hot. Then again, no one was really rotating well or chasing people off the 3pt line in the first half.

Harden is insane. I don't even care about the last play. It's a tossup, really, and it just happened to not go in our favor. But his combination of scoring and playmaking, at THIS level and against THAT Warriors defense, is just astounding.

#11 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 373 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

It was good to see Jones rebound so well after a pretty bad game 1. It was also interesting to see Johnson get some of Pablo's minutes there. I wonder if it was because of his D? Pablo made the wrong rotation about 2 or 3 times in the first half, and I also remember a super wimpy closeout on Curry when he was red hot. Then again, no one was really rotating well or chasing people off the 3pt line in the first half.

Harden is insane. I don't even care about the last play. It's a tossup, really, and it just happened to not go in our favor. But his combination of scoring and playmaking, at THIS level and against THAT Warriors defense, is just astounding.

Jones had a 12/2 game in 26 minutes. So he goes from a horrible game to a below mediocre game. I am not going to celebrate that performance.

#12 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:18 PM

Smith made jones look great. Ariza gets a pass for not shooting as well since he basically erased Klay but if he's not going we need more from smith/brewer/jones and it wasn't there. 

#13 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 222 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:18 AM

Some stats from basketball-reference.com:
                        Curry: ........................ Ast......Pts.......FT%.......Ast%.................Team Pts per/game........
                        NO series.....................7.3.......34.......85%........34%...............................109....................
                        Grizz series..................6.5.......25.......79%........32%................................98.....................
                        Hous (small sample)....5.5.......33.......68%........27%...............................104....like in boxing, the first round (game one) was a feeling out process.

.........................3P%................NO series..................Grizz series..................Hous series.......
                        Curry............................................42%.............................41%..............................50%............
                        Klay..............................................49%.............................47%..............................14%.............
                        Green...........................................35%.............................26%..............................17%.............
                        Barnes..........................................43%.............................25%..............................38%.............
                        Barbosa........................................0..................................67%...(2-3)....................33%...(1-3)...
                        Iggy...............................................13%............................48%................................0..................

The Warriors are the medias darlings.....but I think the Rockets have made adjustments to put themselves in position to win games vs GS.
                        Livingstons numbers were left off since his game one was an anomaly.......he averages 6 points in reg season and 5 in the
                        post-season...or vice-versa. Two games on the opponents court does not make a series. Our role players should play better at home. Not that they did bad on the road. Looks like McHale using Nick Johnson says to me Prigi may be a step too slow in this series. I hope the refs gift wrap two games for the Rockets....as they did for the Warriors.

Edited by Jatman20, 23 May 2015 - 02:24 AM.

#14 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 671 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:22 AM

Jones had a 12/2 game in 26 minutes. So he goes from a horrible game to a below mediocre game. I am not going to celebrate that performance.

Agree, Jones had a mediocre game. Didn't have a game changing play or anything. Only reason he looked good was because you had to compare him to Smith who was too aggressive and making bad decisions.

We are still in it but boy I miss Dmo's consistency when you can't count on him getting 15/6 every night with great D and hustle.

#15 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 222 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:29 AM

Per Basketball-Reference.com:
                            ..............................eFG%......................NO series.............Grizz series.......................Hous series..................
                            Curry...........................................................56%..........................53%.................................73%......................
                            Klay.............................................................60%..........................56%.................................39%.....................
                            Green..........................................................54%..........................46%.................................43%.....................
                            Barnes.........................................................48%..........................58%.................................53%.....................
                            Iggy..............................................................35%..........................65%..(41 FGA).................68%...(6 FGA).....
                            Barbosa.......................................................46%..........................62%...(13 FGA)................32%...(11 FGA)...

.................................TS%........................NO series..............Grizz series.......................Hous series...............
                            Curry.............................................................61%..........................60%...................................73%..................
                            Klay...............................................................62%..........................58%...................................41%..................
                            Barnes...........................................................51%..........................61%..................................53%....................
                            Green............................................................57%..........................52%...................................48%...................
                            Iggy................................................................38%..........................65%.....(41 FGA)...............61%...(6 FGA)....
                            Barbosa.........................................................50%..........................66%.....(13 FGA)...............34%....(11 FGA)...

Numbers for Curry are great......but the Rockets are taking away in other places (players). Curry may beat us w/jump shots....but I think the Rockets are doing the right thing by trying to keep everyone else in check. Like Griffin.....Curry may be exhausted by game 4 or 5 of the series. Rope-a-Dope style. Judging by the FT% per series decreasing.....Curry may be just doing that. Maybe not? Note for above graph in post #13.......Barnes is 3-8 from 3point land.

Edited by Jatman20, 23 May 2015 - 03:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users