Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Willk : (07 May 2015 - 03:39 PM) Thibs has been doing that from day 1. I always sit on the other side of the court because all I hear for days after sitting behind the bulls bench is ICE
@  SadLakerFan : (07 May 2015 - 01:55 PM) Thibs is pointing and yelling in every huddle. He's fighting for his job, and needs to win this series.
@  Willk : (07 May 2015 - 12:15 PM) sadlakerfan- notice how coach thibs never stops yelling. I still can hear "ice"
@  SadLakerFan : (07 May 2015 - 07:34 AM) Sitting behind Bulls bench in Game 1, noticed (1) Dunleavy is really tall; and (2) Gasol playing with a fire in his eyes I haven't seen since 2010.
@  SadLakerFan : (07 May 2015 - 07:32 AM) Nice win. Just returned from CLE and saw the score.
@  JY86er : (07 May 2015 - 06:12 AM) I'm glad THAT'S over.
@  Willk : (07 May 2015 - 05:52 AM) if the rox start hitting 3s, they can steal a game in LA. currently 16-59
@  Mario Peña : (07 May 2015 - 04:50 AM) Pretty good turn around midway through the third quarter. Way to go Rockets!
@  Cooper : (07 May 2015 - 04:41 AM) ariza/howard did a lot better on blake 2nd half and harden got it cooking. Nice win hope theyre ready for cp3 in LA.
@  jorgeaam : (07 May 2015 - 04:40 AM) 1-1!
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 May 2015 - 04:36 AM) I laughed.
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 May 2015 - 04:36 AM) Anyone else watching TNT and hear that triumphant, "HERE COMES AUSTIN RIVERS!!" call, right before he tried to go behind his back, fell down, and turned it over?
@  jorgeaam : (07 May 2015 - 04:15 AM) I love the strategy the rockets are having with the jump balls
@  jorgeaam : (07 May 2015 - 04:12 AM) So this is what happens when the Rockets make an effort on defense
@  Mario Peña : (07 May 2015 - 04:02 AM) The Rockets look just a little too happy to be up a couple possessions in game 2 of a series where they are down. A lot of time still left.
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 May 2015 - 03:51 AM) Let's hope so. Jones slowed down Griffin a bit there
@  Mario Peña : (07 May 2015 - 03:46 AM) Clippers look like they're running out of gas, except Crawford. That jump ball was funny stuff.
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 May 2015 - 03:44 AM) Hahaha a Turkoglu v. Terry jumpball might be my favorite 2015 playoff moment so far. And Terry won. Brilliant
@  Mario Peña : (07 May 2015 - 03:19 AM) Are the Rockets playing better with Harden on the bench? I'm considering both ends.
@  Cooper : (07 May 2015 - 03:11 AM) managed to come out and look worse

Photo

Los Angeles Clippers 117, Houston Rockets 101: You actually have to try

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:29 AM

New post: Los Angeles Clippers 117, Houston Rockets 101: You actually have to try
    By: Forrest Walker

Tonight, the Houston Rockets learned the hard lesson that a Los Angeles Clippers team without Chris Paul is still an NBA team. Austin Rivers may be a giant downgrade from CP3, but he's still able to throw a basketball at a hoop. Glen Davis might not be a world beater, but he's still going to hit wide open shots. Dwight Howard was the only member of the team to show any sort of agency and any signs of life during a critical game that the Houston Rockets absolutely had to capitalize on. Letting the Clippers steal a win while Chris Paul rests a hamstring injury is either a sign of a team being worse than expected, less mentally prepared than expected, or a terrible combination of the two. This wasn't simply a Clippers bench going wild. This was a massive egg laid by the Rockets, and now they're going to have to fight twice as hard for the rest of the series.

The best player of the night was Houston's pile of 24 turnovers, which had a game-high 34 points. Rockets turnovers had a slightly better night than Clippers turnovers, which was only 23 turnovers deep but only resulted in 21 points, a much worse showing. The Clippers were much more aggressive in the fast break, much more coherent as a team, and generally didn't look like they expected to play the 7-win Charlotte Bobcats team from 2012. Giving away live ball turnover after live ball turnover was a bold play from Houston, and tonight it just didn't work out.

Dwight Howard was probably the only Rocket to look like he belonged on the court. he made 9 of his 13 attempts, flushed on some lobs, grabbed 10 boards and protected the rim to the tune of 5 swats. He was athletic, quick, aggressive, and calling for the team to calm down and make solid plays. Of course, none of it would end up mattering as the team crumbled around him. He only hit 4 of his 9 free throws, and the team followed his example, shooting a desultory 14-24 from the stripe. He was as good as the Rockets could expect, and it wasn't close to enough.

This is in part because James Harden apparently got hit with a Freaky Friday type skills swap, known as the Space Jam or Thunderstruck in some regions. Hopefully the unknown individual used Harden's ability to good effect, because James Harden wasn't much good to his team. People wondered if seeing Steph Curry win MVP would motivate Harden to step up his game. If this was him trying to prove the world wrong, it could use some work. Going 3-6 from three point range is well and good, but going 3-7 otherwise and scoring 20 points on 13 shots is sub-par for a team that badly needed his contributions. Like a classic Thunderstruck victim, he preferred to pass the ball instead of shooting, leading to a very respectable 12 assists. It also led to a very ugly 9 turnovers. This is not Harden basketball, and it is not Rockets basketball. This is Moron Mountain basketball, and the Space Jam revival is good and over.

Pablo Prigioni and his 3-5 three point shooting were the only other bright spots for Houston's ugliest outing in months. Corey Brewer tried hard, as always, but was sloppy and unsuccessful. Josh Smith started jacking up threes after hitting a timely one, and looked out of sorts all night (apart from a lovely lob to Howard). Terrence Jones went 1-6 and couldn't have been more invisible. Trevor Ariza started hot by hitting 4 shots in a row, but then went 4-9 the rest of the way and it was worse than it sounds. The Rockets went from leading by 12 to trailing by 10 in about 18 minutes, a feat only topped by their complete concession with 2 minutes left in the game.

In the first round, the Rockets did what they were supposed to and stamped out the Dallas Mavericks. But after winning convincingly in the first two games, the Rockets got into rut of bad decisions and sloppy play, and they have yet to pull out of it. perhaps going up so commandingly in that series made them complacent. Perhaps they caught whatever the Atlanta Hawks have that makes them terrible now. I choose to believe head coach Kevin McHale. Here's what he had to say:

"There are no excuses. They wanted it more."

On nine days out of then, "they wanted it more" is just a trope and an aphorism that fails to explain the much more tangible factors that led to a loss. It just so happens that today was that tenth day. Maybe next time the Rockets will want it enough to actually try.

#2 Lucas Daniel Uribe

Lucas Daniel Uribe

• Members
    • Pip
    • 19 posts
    • LocationTygh Valley, OR

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

This series is over. Game one is very important. These guys played VERY SLOPPY over the course of 4 quarters. Too many turnovers + poor Free Throw %'s = Not Finals Material. #Rockets #Pursuit

#3 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 537 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

I refuse to believe that this game will set the tone for the rest of the series. It's going to go 7, but I still like our chances. Last night was an atrocity though, of the worst order. I think Harden got a little bothered by the fact he was not getting calls initially on his drives. He did well "trying" to get the others involved, and he's had worse shooting performances. I think he needs to keep pushing the issue with the refs and continue seeking the calls. Even if he drives to kick, if he's intimidated by Jordan, but he needs to force the issue continually. That's the action that gets our offense going and our shooters open. He can't let the refs deter him.

#4 bernardo

bernardo

• Members
      • Pip
      • 41 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

That was awful and painful to watch at the end. The Clippers just had a 7-game series, 48h of rest, without their best player, and they beat us in our home court. I will not overreact, but this one we should've have been taken care of. The difference is night and day now, as we need to win on the road. Can't let this kind of stuff happen in such an important game.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,993 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

Wow.  Quitters.  Quitters everywhere.  (OK, two people just posted some positivity as I type, but the Shoutbox is still atrocious)  No wonder people are so upset....must feel like looking in a mirror.  Is that too harsh?  Probably.  It's shameful the reactions I am seeing here and around the net.  The Houston Rockets seem like they are doing a fine job of representing their fans.  Completely and utterly shameful.  Hypocritical judgment as far as the eye can see.

Sorry if that is upsetting, but it needed to be said.  We're better than this and so is our team.  How would you feel if the players/coaches reacted this way?  Honestly, I couldn't be a fan of a team like that.  Thankfully, they aren't just going to lie down like so many fans are doing.

Here, try applying some scale and relativity rather than melodramatic overreaction.

This is a compiled list of outcomes from all sports and the NBA for playoff series that begin 1-0.  Check it out.  LINK

As you can see, the next game is very likely to go to the home team (Yay!).  Further, in all sports the road winner of game 1 only takes the series 56.4% of the time and in the NBA it is 50%.  Yes, winning the game would have statistically put us at 88% chance of winning, but that still guarantees nothing just as the loss guarantees nothing.  Just like coin flips, each event is unique.

The team needs the city's support, not a giant cloud of negativity based on the pain of previous losses/disappointments that have nothing to do with this team or this moment.  In relationships that's called baggage and it can easily ruin a good thing.  Let it go, people.  Love freely--it's the only way.   :wub:

#6 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 164 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

I don't think this game was an indication of how the Rockets will play this way the rest of the series, but now everything is against us:

1) Chris Paul will almost certainly play the rest of the series

2) Homecourt advantage is lost

3) Mathematically, have to win 4 games out of 6

They essentially spotted us a game by playing a rotation of Austin "D-League" Rivers and Lester "10 day contract" Hudson at point guard. We gave it away (almost literally). 

My true belief is that these two teams are on about the same level with Paul healthy. You would expect two teams that are even to go 50/50 over the course of the series... which means we lose in game 7. One fluky shot here and there (like Crawford's bank 3) and we lose before game 7. 

(Crawford is the king of fluky shots, by the way.)

Our best hope: The Clippers are gassed from playing all of their starters 40+ minutes a night and Chris Paul doesn't play game 2 either. 

Edited by majik19, 05 May 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#7 tsijohn

tsijohn

• Members
          • Pip
          • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

You're wrong that McHale's comment, "There are no excuses. They wanted it more" is a trope. It's actually the underlying reason behind the statistics that led to this loss whether it is uncontested transition 3's, turnovers, or long 2's taken by the Rockets. Much of that is a function of mental focus - what is unquantifiable by analytics. The Rockets lack competitive fire and the Rockets body language which reflects their desire to win is absolutely terrible. I'm making a non-quantifiable judgement analogous to a literary critic judging some piece of literature as a classic - but as someone that's played competitive sports at a national level - James Harden and Dwight Howard are mentally weak. I can see it in them and if you look up a litany of quotes by other NBA players that is a common criticism of Dwight Howard especially. 

#8 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 132 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

I don't think this game was an indication of how the Rockets will play this way the rest of the series, but now everything is against us:

1) Chris Paul will almost certainly play the rest of the series

2) Homecourt advantage is lost

3) Mathematically, have to win 4 games out of 6

Yeah, that's what disheartens me too. Last night was a perfect opportunity to get a great team back on their heels, and really ensure it at least going to 7, if not maybe even winning in 6.

Our transition D was non-existent (the corollary here is turnovers of course), and in our half-court D we just seemed unfocused - not rotating quickly or at all, and letting too many off-ball moves catch us off-guard. The Clips defended our PNRs pretty well, and seemed to gameplan well for Harden (though they're always good on him). But other than those two things, it seemed like just plain old lack of focus and mental preparedness lost us the game.

That's why I refuse to believe this game is indicative of how the rest will go. We're a good and deep team. Harden was nearly MVP. We've got to return to form, and I think we will. I just think we missed a great opportunity to help punch our ticket to the WCF.

EDIT: Also, just gotta give props to Barnes and Redick. Those guys have been playing huge for months, much bigger than I thought they were capable of. They showed it last night.

Edited by cointurtlemoose, 05 May 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#9 bernardo

bernardo

• Members
              • Pip
              • 41 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

You're wrong that McHale's comment, "There are no excuses. They wanted it more" is a trope. It's actually the underlying reason behind the statistics that led to this loss whether it is uncontested transition 3's, turnovers, or long 2's taken by the Rockets. Much of that is a function of mental focus - what is unquantifiable by analytics. The Rockets lack competitive fire and the Rockets body language which reflects their desire to win is absolutely terrible. I'm making a non-quantifiable judgement analogous to a literary critic judging some piece of literature as a classic - but as someone that's played competitive sports at a national level - James Harden and Dwight Howard are mentally weak. I can see it in them and if you look up a litany of quotes by other NBA players that is a common criticism of Dwight Howard especially. 

See? This is overreacting. One bad game and suddenly Harden and Howard are "mentally weak". And JG is right on one thing, we need to be with the team through this. We can point out the mistakes, (and there were lots of them last night) talk about them, but friday night we need to be supportive once again. Can't let one bad game ruin what they've done this season.

#10 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

it looked like they expected the clips to roll over after that decent run and when that didn't happen there wasn't a recovery. Disappointing loss but the clips aren't scary in staples, certainly not like having to go to the grind house or oracle so grabbing a road win or two isn't out of the question if Howard isn't the only player that realizes they are in the second round of the playoffs.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 3,993 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

it looked like they expected the clips to roll over after that decent run and when that didn't happen there wasn't a recovery. Disappointing loss but the clips aren't scary in staples, certainly not like having to go to the grind house or oracle so grabbing a road win or two isn't out of the question if Howard isn't the only player that realizes they are in the second round of the playoffs.

Totally agree.  I don't see how anyone can criticize Dwight's effort after watching him play.  That's not true....I can totally understand how someone who has already decided that Dwight is weak, doesn't have a champion's heart/fire/desire, and is an immature man-child can think that.  Imagine if each of us was eternally judged by the choices we made and the actions we took in our 20's.... :blink:  I, for one, would be eternally damned.  I was naive, selfish, immature, arrogant, and a slew of other not-so-flattering adjectives.

I agree that we left a lot of points on the floor by missing so many shots at the rim.  We squandered a bunch more points by wasting 23 possessions which directly led to a bunch of free points for them.  This isn't a signal of the end of the road.  It is an example of how playing poorly results in losses--even to a team missing Chris Paul.

By the way, I know we like to think we harbor the league's best SG and best C, but let's not lose sight that the Clippers boast arguably the best PG and PF on their roster.  They also have a strong Center, a sniper at SG and a Mario Elie-type guy in Matt Barnes at SF.  They aren't chopped liver and last I checked they had the same record as us in the tough as nails Western Conference.  Oh, and Jamal Freakin Crawford!  That guy must make high school and college coaches crazy knowing that kids are watching him and thinking they can play like that.

We need to realize that the Rockets were preparing to play the Chris-Paul-led Clippers.  There is plenty of tape on that and we likely had a game plan for that.  Suddenly, we've got a big unknown in front of us and they got the best of us (mostly due to poor effort, but things like this matter).  Who knew they were going to go full Spurs mode and rack up 31 assists?

They basically played 6 guys.  I think we tried to run'n'gun them, but ended up getting too fancy, going too fast and got sloppy.  It's like when D-Mo used to get all those open looks in the post, but miss most of them because he was going to fast.  Once he found his pace he turned into a post-up god.  I have no doubt the coaches will get them on the right page.

There was lots to like.  Dwight showed the ability to post up any of their bigs--even Jordan.  In the half court, our defense wasn't terrible.  We just didn't rebound well at all.  I think Prigs is going to take over some of Josh's ball handling duties.  There was one point mid-2nd half where Prigs looked for the ball to set the offense, Smith opted not to pass to him and then tried a lazy entry to Dwight which was easily picked off and led to an easy bucket for them.  Sorry, Josh, but if that's the way you're going to do it then it's time to let the real "point" handle the ball.  (also, how did Josh only wind up with 2 turnovers?...I feel like he had a few more than that.)

Capela showed he can play in this series.  Terry was ready to go (except for that one horrible pass, but he seems to do that once every game).  I'd like to see Harden put a little more body into Jordan when he drives and draw contact/fouls.  Seemed like he was just trying to blow by him at times (not so successfully).

We've got a really good coaching staff and really good players.  We'll pull even on Friday and focus on stealing a game in LA.

#12 majik19

majik19

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 164 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:46 PM

(also, how did Josh only wind up with 2 turnovers?...I feel like he had a few more than that.)

Terry was ready to go (except for that one horrible pass, but he seems to do that once every game).  

I think we remember more turnovers because they were so bad. Also, he took some really terrible shots that felt like turnovers. 

Terry was mostly invisible out there - I daresay he was outplayed by Rivers. 

Howard definitely played well, but he did get outmuscled a few times by Jordan. 

If Griffin continues to play that well, we may not even stand a chance. He was clearly the best player on the floor and Jones/Smith couldn't do much to stop him (or make him work that hard on the defensive end). I'd like to see us run the 4-5 pick n roll to get Jordan and Griffin switched, then let Howard do some damage 1 on 1. 

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 3,993 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:23 AM

Rivers played one of his best games of the year in game 1.  He averages 13 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assists, and 1.4 stls on a per 36 basis.  Last night 17 pts, 1 reb, 3 assists, and 4 steals in 28 minutes.  In the 6 games he played 30-39 minutes (per basketball-reference.com) he averaged 14, 2, and 3.  It was a perfect storm of us being bad and them being good.  Part of that was us not showing up....part of that was them rallying around CP3 not playing.  Let's see if they can maintain that....

On a side note, I have read many posts around the web about our lackluster home crowd.  Watching the Warriors game right now It is painfully clear.  Our crowd is sad compared to them (and most others).  That's unfortunate--I know there are lots of passionate Rockets fans but it seems they aren't the ones at the games.

#14 Under estimated champion

Under estimated champion

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Our home crowd has been horrible, since as far back as I can remember!!!!

#15 JamesHoudini

JamesHoudini

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

It’s too hard to tell which direction the series will go until game two.  If the tone is the same as game one our chances of winning the series will look worse. Dwight played well and brought more action down low than the Mayweather Pacquiao fight.

Adaptation seems to be the problem with the Rockets; the Clippers are a bigger team than the Mavericks and because of that have shed light on our bad passing. Adapting to that circumstance and any other that would propose itself would mean to not just play with osmosis, (which is hard to do if you’ve played competitively) but combine it with the mental aspect.

The Rockets are just battling themselves mentally which translates to poor decision making and bad attitudes. When things don’t click, relax, figure out why they aren’t clicking, don’t force something that wasn’t supposed to click, and approach the situation that will net the best possible outcome. The Rockets don’t do that. Here’s an example: The last game and series for that matter Trevor Ariza dribbles shoots a very low percentage jump shot nails the iron, (I’ve only seen him make one these past two series) his next move is driving to the hole, (he’s not strong enough to finish unless its uncontested) and his last move is the three pointer. I’d prefer him to just shoot the set three. Two of the three supposed counter punches net turnovers 97% of the time. If he continues to get the same outcome why try to keep forcing it. Drive, draw, dish, and don’t limit yourself (I’m not picking on Trevor just things to lookout for).

We adapted well in the season given all of the injuries but mentally our game has lacked. The sport requires thought process and the only team that “somewhat” does that are the Spurs. My idea on what our game plan should be - establish Dwight early on down low, keep collapsing there defense, run the shot clock to our advantage, play a box-in-one on Paul the whole game, shoot threes after we have established ourselves inside, and only operate using your strengths. Josh Smith needs to drive to the hole he will intern draw Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan’s back will be towards Dwight, lob, wrap around, or bounce pass they won’t know what to do. Harden needs to drive to the hole every time, dish if it’s not there, and only shoot set three. Using the whole team is key and James can setup anyone for a great set shot.

I can’t wait for tonight and I will be watching it on mute because TNT seems to be a local California station televising the game.

#16 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 114 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:42 PM

Our home crowd has been horrible, since as far back as I can remember!!!!

why is this? Toyota center often looks like there are heaps of seats as well. Man I wish I was in Houston.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users