Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  JY86er : (28 April 2015 - 01:51 AM) Well that explains why my cousin is not texting me back.
@  jorgeaam : (28 April 2015 - 01:44 AM) Wow, Atlanta lost again today vs Brooklyn, series tied at 2.
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 April 2015 - 05:31 AM) But serious response: has Ariza had that assignment in the past? Cause I forget. Luckily their wings wouldn't outsize Terry/Harden
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 April 2015 - 05:28 AM) majik - I'm still in denial, thinking happy thoughts. No room to think about elite PGs dicing us up......
@  majik19 : (27 April 2015 - 04:23 AM) just thinking about the clippers - if JJ Barea can do that... what is Chris Paul going to do?
@  08huangj : (27 April 2015 - 04:01 AM) I was really looking forward to see Cuban's reaction of a sweep right at the Mavericks home court though.
@  08huangj : (27 April 2015 - 04:00 AM) The Rockets had a good fourth quarter only because Smith was on fire.
@  majik19 : (27 April 2015 - 03:57 AM) just did absolutely nothing well after the 1st quarter. Missed everything, didn't rebound, and definitely didn't play defense.
@  jorgeaam : (27 April 2015 - 03:57 AM) Hahaha did anyone see Brewer stealing the ball away from Jefferson before the clock ran out?
@  08huangj : (27 April 2015 - 03:54 AM) This loss doesn't matter. The Rockets can finish things at home next time.
@  jorgeaam : (27 April 2015 - 03:50 AM) I love Corey Brewer, he just keeps hustling
@  jorgeaam : (27 April 2015 - 03:37 AM) Time for Johnny Gold's prediction of Smith hitting a game winning 3 to become true
@  jorgeaam : (27 April 2015 - 03:36 AM) Josh Smith turning into Kyle Korver
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 April 2015 - 03:33 AM) Well at least Johnson is getting some playoff minutes......
@  SadLakerFan : (27 April 2015 - 03:14 AM) Man, how big a disaster was Rajon Rondo?
@  JY86er : (27 April 2015 - 02:11 AM) This game is over if the Rockets (again) decide to hurry back on defense in transition.
@  jorgeaam : (27 April 2015 - 01:46 AM) 3 quarters to go
@  jorgeaam : (27 April 2015 - 01:32 AM) Dwight spinning from a defender into a lob is a thing of beauty
@  Mario Peña : (27 April 2015 - 01:23 AM) So annoying, Reggie whiner doing colour commentary.
@  jorgeaam : (27 April 2015 - 01:17 AM) Let's go Rockets!

Photo

who's the better matchup: Spurs or Clips?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 isaacjunk

isaacjunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

Obviously this series is not done yet but who are you rooting for in the Spurs/Clips series?  I'm personally more scared of the Clips' starting 5 matching up with us ( size + no way to slow Chris Paul ) and don't think, with their youth + athleticism, that they are near being tired out in only the second round....thus, I'm rooting for Spurs by a little bit.    Plus how satisfying would a Texas sweep be?

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 3,982 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

It's a pick your poison and I can't find a silver lining outside of the Clippers' lousy bench (although Austin Rivers suddenly figured out how to play basketball at the NBA level.  Should have stayed in college, Austin).

Kawhi Leonard is playing both ends of the floor way too well for my liking.  I think we can handle the rest of the Spurs, but Leonard is a problem.

The thought of our back up "big" Capela going up against "Big Baby" Davis seems like a bad match up for us.  Maybe Davis will get whistled for throwing him around like a rag doll...because that's what's going to happen.

The reality is that whoever we get (presuming we win--NO JINX!!!) will require a strong, strong (better than this round) performance from the entire team.

If I had to choose I think I'd go Clippers.  My reasoning is that they are so much like us and if San Antonio beats them they will already have the blueprint for beating us.  Whoever we get it's going to be a bumpy ride.

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 154 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

I think it's Clippers, and the biggest reason is Kawhi Leonard has been awesome. He guards Harden really well too. I know JJ Redick has had weird success against Harden in the past, but I'd rather he and Matt Barnes try to guard Harden than Kawhi... 

This version of Dwight can jump and rebound and score with Deandre Jordan, so I'm not too worried there (though I'd love to see Splitter try). I am scared of Griffin versus Jones and Smith. Ariza would almost certainly spend most of his time cross-matched will Paul, so I think we may be okay there (but like my shoutbox comment, JJ Barea diced us up...) Harden/Terry have to avoid getting lost on Redick around picks. Matt Barnes doesn't scare me at all. 

So overall, Chris Paul > Tony Parker, Danny Green > JJ Redick, Kawhi Leonard > Matt Barnes, Blake Griffin > Tim Duncan, Deandre Jordan > Tiago Splitter, Spurs Bench >>> LA's Bench, so I'm going with rather playing LA.

#4 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 651 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:53 PM

No pick if we are going for a Championship we will have to win whoever we face in each round. None of the teams in the West in any round is a cakewalk.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,982 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

No pick if we are going for a Championship we will have to win whoever we face in each round. None of the teams in the West in any round is a cakewalk.

True.  That's not what this thread is about though...

To use your logic, IF we are going for a championship, which team gives us a better chance of winning (advancing) based on match ups?  Does that make more sense?

#6 JY86er

JY86er

• Members
        • Pip
        • 7 posts
        • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:40 AM

I personally like the toughest matchup we can get if The Rockets truly think this is a championship season. So having said that I'd like for them to have the hardest road by dethroning the defending champion Spurs and hopefully that will toughen\"harden" them to deal with The Warriors. IF they can weather those two hurricanes--then the actual championship series will be a breeze. They will be a very different team mentally by then if all this should happen.

#7 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 55 posts
        • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

I'll have to lean towards the Spurs. I think we would be able to contain Tony Parker and Duncan well enough to make a good game from Leonard less relevant, unless we're talking 40+ points. Our bench plays well against either methinks. My biggest concern with either team: which team will we get better offensive flow against? I say Spurs.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users