Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (25 April 2015 - 01:50 AM) Get your brooms ready guys
@  jorgeaam : (25 April 2015 - 01:50 AM) 3-0!!!!!
@  jorgeaam : (25 April 2015 - 01:45 AM) Hardeeeeeen
@  jorgeaam : (25 April 2015 - 01:22 AM) It seems the Rockets had been missing Hack-a-someone FT on the regular season so they'd get 2 more points on the playoffs, they don't miss
@  jorgeaam : (24 April 2015 - 10:14 PM) http://bleacherrepor...op-james-harden
@  jorgeaam : (24 April 2015 - 10:14 PM) Wow, Vinny del Negro just showed why he isn't coaching on the NBA anymore
@  jorgeaam : (24 April 2015 - 09:51 PM) Saw that live, good thing he didn't win DPOY
@  Mario Peña : (24 April 2015 - 06:02 PM) Flop of the post season award so far goes to Draymond Green! http://probasketball...ter-flop-video/
@  jorgeaam : (23 April 2015 - 01:09 AM) They waved the white flag. Probably became too scared after watching Smoove and Howard tearing it up last night
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 April 2015 - 12:20 AM) Wow, the Mavs basically just imploded within the last 24 hours........
@  Mario Peña : (22 April 2015 - 11:50 PM) Eventful day in the NBA.
@  jorgeaam : (22 April 2015 - 08:41 PM) No Parsons for rest of playoffs either
@  JY86er : (22 April 2015 - 08:09 PM) ...and speaking of backs. Looks like Rondo is done after "injuring" his back (sitting on the bench).
@  YaoMan : (22 April 2015 - 08:07 PM) Brooks just got fired from OKC...
@  cointurtlemoose : (22 April 2015 - 05:29 PM) Can confirm the back-chair thing
@  YaoMan : (22 April 2015 - 04:16 PM) Yeah JG, I have recurring back spasms and the worst thing is to sit in a chair all day...Back pain is no joke...
@  thejohnnygold : (22 April 2015 - 03:17 PM) My guess is because back surgery is unpleasant and shortly after said surgery sitting in tiny little plastic chairs for hours does not feel good nor promote healing. Let's not jump to negative conclusions too quickly, eh?
@  JerryFinn : (22 April 2015 - 02:56 PM) Can someone answer why D-Mo doesnt sit on the bench cheering for the team?
That's the only negative impression from this playoffs so far)
@  JY86er : (22 April 2015 - 05:02 AM) Everybody in the NBA just got Josh Smith's updated resume' live on TNT tonight.
@  cointurtlemoose : (22 April 2015 - 04:38 AM) Also, just gotta suggest that maybe we should all write 'thank you' notes to Stan Van

Photo

Houston Rockets 111, Dallas Mavericks 99: Flush city

21 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:32 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 111, Dallas Mavericks 99: Flush city
    By: Forrest Walker

The Houston Rockets swept away the first three quarters of the game under and endless torrent of brutal slams. The Dallas Mavericks stayed close and mucked it up for almost 36 minutes, bogging down the game with fouls and intense defense on James Harden. Josh Smith and Dwight Howard had different plans. The Rockets ended the game with fourteen slams, including several lobs from Josh Smith to his AAU teammate Dwight Howard. Much like the "run it again" era of Hakeem Olajuwon's Rockets, this Houston team found a winning play and called that number over and over again. With no answer for Houston's big men, the Mavs fell behind, even with James Harden on the bench. The Rockets now lead the series by a commanding 2 games to 0.

Dwight Howard and Josh Smith came alive, more alive than they've been all season, and both justified every second of their tenure in Houston with this game alone. Dwight Howard brought the hammer down with 28 points and 12 rebounds on a mere 15 shots, including hitting 8 straight free throws in 11 tries. This version of Dwight Howard, the thundering, rolling, dunking machine, is what Houston hoped for and what people predicted and all last season. The long absence due to his knee procedure has paid huge dividends so far, with these two playoff wins worth infinitely more than any regular season tilts. He's healthy, he's motivated, and he's unstoppable.

Josh Smith is worth every penny that the Detroit Pistons are paying him this season, and every penny the Houston Rockets are paying him, too. It just turns out that the team footing the much smaller bill is the one he propelled to a stunning victory in the post season. Smith only played 26 mintues, but he nearly cracked a triple double with 15 points (on 15 shots), 8 rebounds and 9 assists. He was instrumental in the late run while James Harden sat, punishing the Mavs in pick and roll situations over and over again. He got off to a slow, inefficient start, but once he and Dwight became the primary weapons, they unleashed a torrent of lobs as Dallas tried to find a way to turn Dirk Nowitzki back into a person and not a turnstile.

Houston's bench depth is looking increasingly solid, and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey used both shrewdness and luck to create a situation where the Rockets could lose two key rotation players and keep rolling. Even Clint Capela came off the bench to play fruitful playoff minutes. Corey Brewer remained a fireball off the bench, even if his 17 points on 7-13 shooting wasn't as impressive as his last outing. The shallow Mavs were given no mercy, and it was through depth that the Rockets were able to absorb Dallas' heaviest blows. Mavs head coach Rick Carlisle threw the sink at the Rockets, playing physical ball and trying to draw fouls on Houston.

It almost worked for half the game, while Harden was off his game and the Rockets couldn't buy an open bucket. Harden ended the night a mere 5-17 from the field for 24 points, a line which is actually sub-par for his standard of excellence. His 5 rebounds, 6 assist and a steal were also below his standards slightly in a night where he was the focus of the defense. The Mavs, despite all their defensive holes, have done a good job of limiting James Harden. Unfortunately, they've done almost nothing to limit anyone else. The theory that Harden has nothing to work with was a talking point in favor of Harden's MVP campaign, but now feels like brilliant propaganda from an extremely deep team that's suckered other clubs into underestimating the role players.

The worst news was that Terrence Jones got hit in the face by Dwight's elbow and sat down to get examined for a concussion. He only played 22 minutes due to it, but the Rockets didn't end up missing him due to the Smith-Howard love connection. Jones seemed ready to return if needed, however, so it's very likely he'll be ready to go for the remainder of the playoffs.

This Rockets team, like a boxer saving his best moves for a title fight, pulled a pick and roll happy Dwight Howard out of nowhere and is suddenly a very different team. The Rockets have gone up 2-0 on a 50-win Mavs team and won both games comfortably. Most frightening for the league is that Harden hasn't even gone off yet. This series is far from over, but all the questions it's raised have been for the rest of the league, not Houston. The Rockets look ahead to Friday, now, and to a chance to go up 3-0 on the Mavs in Dallas. If they keep playing at this level, they may soon be looking ahead to the next round.

#2 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,005 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!

#3 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 534 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

I don't know if it's troublesome or refreshing that we were able to remain in the game through 3 quarters of our starters looking wholly disinterested. I guess I lean towards refreshing because while we were being lackluster in our efforts, Dallas required everything they had just to keep up. The squad had a fever early on last night and there was only one cure:

ki694.jpg

Seriously, Smith's work last night with Howard was remarkable. It had Tyson Chandler just shaking his head helplessly. It had both Shaq and Chuck admitting that this team can beat anybody.

Do you ever wonder that if when Corey Brewer starts his high speed rampages opposing teams are muttering under their breath: "Oh God, why's he gotta run so fast? That means we gotta pick up the pace... sigh." It took him one freakin dribble to traverse half the court for a layup in one instance last night. ONE DRIBBLE! 47 FEET! Morey's pining for him was without a doubt, the direct result of advanced player tracking technology. Come to think of it, Mr. Smith can cover a lot of ground quickly and adeptly with and without the ball as well... hmmmmm.

#4 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 152 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

Josh Smith was unbelievable last night. 

"Because that’s not a very good team over there." - Mark Cuban.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 3,977 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

Josh Smith shot 1-5 from deep last night....and nobody cares  :)  He played strong defense while shredding the Mavs on the other end.

That doesn't include the Brewer assists nor this DUNK!!!.  Congrats, Mr. Smith and thanks for the show.

EDIT: Forgot to put the NSFM tag on that video.  (Not Safe For Mav-Fans)

#6 CaliforniaSUPErRocket

CaliforniaSUPErRocket

• Members
          • Pip
          • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

So many positives!!! Where do I begin??

1) lets start with defense. Really impressive to hold the Mavericks to under 100 points. And specifically 4th quarter defense. Because we gave up 80 thru 3 quarters and held the Mavs to only 19 fourth quarter points!!

2) Rebounds. After Tyson chandler goes for 18 rebounds in game 1, I was hoping he didn't go for 20 in this one. Credit Dwight Howard and all our bigs for holding Tyson to only 8 rebounds!! AwesomeNess 😁
            And our team outrebounded theirs 49-46. Not sure what happened because at the half the rebounds were decidedly in their favor. Oh yeah I know wha happened Josh-Dwight!!

3) Turnovers
            When I look at the turnover numbers, I am delightfully SHOCKED that we are well under our season average. With the speed of Brewer and Smith and our intentions to fly out on the break, turnovers will happen. We only had 11 in game 2.

4) FREE THROWS!!!
            In the excitement of this win and the impressive play of MAGIC Johnson, (I mean Josh Smith lol) did we all realize that our Rockets went 27 of 35 from the line. No one missed more than one free throw except Dwight. And Dwight made 8 consecutive free throws to go 8 off 11 at the line! OMG

5) so much more:
            Jason terry went 3-3, Clint Capela takes leaps and bounds, Dwight goes for 28! AND BEYOND ALL THAT James Harden hasn't gone off yet. So much good to come in this series and in this years playoffs.

We neeeeeeed a game in Dallas. I would love a sweep but we must win a game in dallas. I hope/ pray/ dream / fantasize / "pray-to-God" that THAT game we win, is in game 3. PLEASE!!

We haven't won a title yet. Please Rockets. Stay humble, Stay low, Stay HUNGRY.
            Peace.

#7 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 168 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

Josh Smith shot 1-5 from deep last night....and nobody cares  :)  He played strong defense while shredding the Mavs on the other end.

And actually the team didn't shoot well from 3 last night either (6-20, I think) and yet they blew the game wide open in the 4th.  I think back to something you stated a little bit ago that the Rox didn't need to shoot lights out from distance to win and they are proving it. If they were hitting from deep and or if Harden was lighting it up, Rockets might have had a 25 point advantage.  Anyway McHale and staff gets plenty of kudos from me for the game plan and attacking Dirk (who is a fire hydrant on defense).

We'll see how Carlisle adjusts when they go back to Dallas for game 3. And I'm sure Rockets will add a few more wrinkles if Mavs can't solve the PnR attack...

#8 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 128 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:31 PM

DIRK: YOU'VE BEEN STRUCK BY, YOU'VE BEEN HIT BY, A SMOOVE CRIMINAL

That fourth quarter was probably the most enjoyable quarter of Rockets basketball in recent memory.

Also, I'm more and more thankful for that Pablo Prigioni acquisition. At the time, I was like meh, but now, I'm like yeeaaahhh

Edited by cointurtlemoose, 22 April 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#9 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 534 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:23 PM

That fourth quarter was probably the most enjoyable quarter of Rockets basketball in recent memory.

Also, I'm more and more thankful for that Pablo Prigioni acquisition. At the time, I was like meh, but now, I'm like yeeaaahhh

Agree and Agree!

Pablo doesn't get enough credit but he's sure been rock steady for us.

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 3,977 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

And actually the team didn't shoot well from 3 last night either (6-20, I think) and yet they blew the game wide open in the 4th.  I think back to something you stated a little bit ago that the Rox didn't need to shoot lights out from distance to win and they are proving it. If they were hitting from deep and or if Harden was lighting it up, Rockets might have had a 25 point advantage.  Anyway McHale and staff gets plenty of kudos from me for the game plan and attacking Dirk (who is a fire hydrant on defense).

We'll see how Carlisle adjusts when they go back to Dallas for game 3. And I'm sure Rockets will add a few more wrinkles if Mavs can't solve the PnR attack...

Something I find very interesting is the number of three pointers we are shooting as a team.  We averaged 32.7 3's attempted per game during the regular season.  So far, we have shot 25 and 20 against Dallas.  We are 16 out of 45 overall for 35.5% (a hair above our season average).  Still, 22.5 threes per game is a full 10 fewer than average or 31% less.

I am curious if it is a Morey-based tweak or if it is a by-product/strategy of what's available these first two games specific to Dallas.

I don't want to write Dallas off--that would be foolish--but they seem primed to fall apart.  Rondo's play/bad attitude, Dirk's defense, Parsons' knee, Harris' toe, and the team defense in general are all major problems.  I feel bad for Carlisle and I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up somewhere else soon.  I'm just speculating, but I don't think he wanted Rondo and I am pretty sure he didn't want to lose Crowder, Nelson, and Wright (3 players who fit his system beautifully and would help with all the above problems).  The whole thing seems rotten from the inside out.

The good news is they have a lot of players coming off the books at season's end.  Cleaning house and handing the keys to Carlisle may keep him around.  If Cuban decides he is going to build the roster and force Rick to fix it I think he is going to look for greener pastures....there's a lot of teams who would love to get their hands on him (Oklahoma City).

Carlisle is signed for 1 more year in Dallas but those contracts are not exactly binding.  Just saw this hit the wire: Rondo not coming back if Carlisle stays according to Woj.  Still not sure that's enough.  Cuban can still go out and screw it all up again.  I like Cuban the owner, but Cuban the GM (let's face it, Donnie Nelson does the research, but Cuban calls the shots) is tough to defend.  If I were Carlisle, I'd be eye-balling OKC (Ha, just saw Scott Brooks got fired...maybe they are thinking what I'm thinking...), Minnesota, Chicago, Cleveland, Orlando, and even Utah.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 3,977 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

Found another video of Josh Smith's awesome 2nd half--this has ALL the highlights.  So fun to watch  :)

#12 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 534 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

The good news is they have a lot of players coming off the books at season's end.  Cleaning house and handing the keys to Carlisle may keep him around.  If Cuban decides he is going to build the roster and force Rick to fix it I think he is going to look for greener pastures....there's a lot of teams who would love to get their hands on him (Oklahoma City).

Alright Johnny! Time to hand in your Rockets fan card. Your membership has been revoked! Don't EVER use the words "Good News" in a paragraph and follow it with something positive about the Mavs future! How dare you?! Next thing you know: "Good News! Jerry Sloan has announced he will take over the head coach position in Utah"

Good news, to me concerning the Mavs would be something like this: Cuban fires Carlisle for not being smart enough to use Rondo right who he just extended a contract for the next 6 years. Mark actively seeking Mike Brown to replace Carlisle.

I think our drop off in 3 point shooting is a combo of having Howard back and a better post presence, combined with the Mavs defensive focus seems to be around the arc more than down low.

Corey Brewer reminds me of Stacey Augmon..

#13 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 330 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

Something I find very interesting is the number of three pointers we are shooting as a team.  We averaged 32.7 3's attempted per game during the regular season.  So far, we have shot 25 and 20 against Dallas.  We are 16 out of 45 overall for 35.5% (a hair above our season average).  Still, 22.5 threes per game is a full 10 fewer than average or 31% less.

I am curious if it is a Morey-based tweak or if it is a by-product/strategy of what's available these first two games specific to Dallas.

I don't want to write Dallas off--that would be foolish--but they seem primed to fall apart.  Rondo's play/bad attitude, Dirk's defense, Parsons' knee, Harris' toe, and the team defense in general are all major problems.  I feel bad for Carlisle and I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up somewhere else soon.  I'm just speculating, but I don't think he wanted Rondo and I am pretty sure he didn't want to lose Crowder, Nelson, and Wright (3 players who fit his system beautifully and would help with all the above problems).  The whole thing seems rotten from the inside out.

I believe the lack of threes is in response to both the Dallas defense and the effectiveness of the P&R. Except for Monta (poor Monta) the Dallas defenders are running the Rockets off of the line and soft doubling Harden on the perimeter. The 2-4 P&R with Harden and Smith with Howard hanging around the restricted area for the lob is just to rewarding.

#14 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 168 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

I don't want to write Dallas off--that would be foolish--but they seem primed to fall apart.

Exactly, it's not over til it's over - I've seen Rox go 2-0 a few times and end up losing the series...(2005,2007 anyone)

If I were Carlisle, I'd be eye-balling OKC (Ha, just saw Scott Brooks got fired...maybe they are thinking what I'm thinking...), Minnesota, Chicago, Cleveland, Orlando, and even Utah.

I don't even want to think what Carlisle could do with a healthy Durant and Westbrook...That's one thing I hope doesn't happen...

#15 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 195 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

I find myself agreeing with you a lot Noreastern lately....it's a pick your poison....protect the paint or defend the perimeter. The Rockets had open shots last night to start the game; but missed. Then IMO Dallas made a concerted effort to take that away. I took Houston three quarters to expose the soft interior defense that remained. If it takes a good friend of D12 to get Howard to participate in PnR action.....I'm all for it. What a series the Clippers/Rockets would make. Lob City vs Lob Clutch City. May the Spurs and Clippers go seven.

#16 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 195 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:45 PM

Kenny Smith during halftime of the Rockets game 2 was talking about how Boston was forcing the Cavs to play playoff basketball. In his opinion
                            1 vs 8 and 2 vs 7 match ups usually can get by with the 1 & 2 seeds just playing like they did in the regular season. Both Dallas and Houston cut down on fast break points from game 1 to game 2. Dal game one 20 pts Hous game one 28 pts....Dal game two 10 points Hous 14 points. 10 or less is what I would expect for a playoff game.....then again, my favorite team has never been a 1 or 2 seed. We are not a very good team; but I still think we can counter anything the Mavs have to offer. Cuban sucks.

#17 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 195 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:16 PM

#19 2nd seed or 3rd seed: post #19 Jatman20

Members
                              PipPipPip
                              194 posts
                              0 warning points
                              Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:41 PM
                              Depends on where the Mavericks stand.....Amare has them motivated right now, taking the ball out of Rondos hands and back into Montas.....but Rondo will explode on the bench come playoff time; which should emplode that team. Chemistry!!
                              MultiQuote

#18 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 128 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:27 AM

I was surprised that Carlisle made no adjustments to their game plan. In the second half they were hedging so hard on Harden on the PNR, leaving their decrepit backcourt to play 2 on 3, or 1 on 2 (so we all know Dirk was bad, but Stoudemire was pretty bad too last night). So that high hedging on Harden seemed to be a pre-planned strategy, but even after we hammered them like 10 times on it, they were still doing it. Was just surprised that Carlisle didn't adjust AT ALL while we ran away with the game. I wonder if they'll be a little more conservative on Friday, opting to take their chances with Harden having a little more room to operate, rather than have oop after oop.

EDIT: Although I guess they didn't really do that high hedging earlier, did they? Help me remember. Maybe they're screwed equally either way.

Edited by cointurtlemoose, 23 April 2015 - 12:33 AM.

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                                • 3,977 posts
                                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:10 AM

Alright Johnny! Time to hand in your Rockets fan card. Your membership has been revoked! Don't EVER use the words "Good News" in a paragraph and follow it with something positive about the Mavs future! How dare you?! Next thing you know: "Good News! Jerry Sloan has announced he will take over the head coach position in Utah"

Good news, to me concerning the Mavs would be something like this: Cuban fires Carlisle for not being smart enough to use Rondo right who he just extended a contract for the next 6 years. Mark actively seeking Mike Brown to replace Carlisle.

I think our drop off in 3 point shooting is a combo of having Howard back and a better post presence, combined with the Mavs defensive focus seems to be around the arc more than down low.

Corey Brewer reminds me of Stacey Augmon..

You're right...but I'm keeping my card!   :P  I also like the Augmon comparison...that guy was crazy athletic.

tumblr_nigkursA831sdydefo1_400.gif

What you guys are saying about the 3's makes sense--why shoot 3's when getting to the rim is so easy?

Jatman, I had to do this based on your post two spots up.... :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

#20 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                                • PipPipPip
                                • 157 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:07 AM

I can definitely see the Rockets coming out of the West. Terry, Brewer and Smith (!) could make the difference. I do wonder whether Harden is gassed after playing the most minutes in the league. Time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users