Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:10 PM) I wonder what happens to his share of the team now?
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:09 PM) "The Oklahoma City Police Department said he was traveling at a high speed and "pretty much drove straight into the wall.""
@  thejohnnygold : (02 March 2016 - 08:57 PM) Sounds more like suicide...

Photo

On Dwight, Capela

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

New post: On Dwight, Capela
    By: Rahat Huq

• In one of these games this postseason, Clint Capela will go for something like 10 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 blocked shots, and then everyone on the Rockets portion of the Internet will collectively react in the online equivalent of how everyone storms the court and goes nuts at the end of those streetball videos where someone makes the other guy fall down.
    • Dallas is going to ante up the variance because that is the only way to overcome the vast talent disparity between the two teams.  It feels weird being on the other side of that equation.  They'll give Harden different looks in pick and roll coverage and try something out of the box in assisting Dirk.  On the latter point, I don't know what all can be done for such a challenging dilemma.
    • I hope we aren't celebrating already as tempting as it may be.  I think back to 2005 when I and my friends, after Houston went up 2-0 against Dallas, not only looked past the Mavericks, but also Phoenix, in preparing for the Western Conference Finals.  We know how that turned out.
    • Over these past two seasons, because he's had his ups and downs, and this season has been in and out of the lineup, there have been times during games where I've caught myself thinking, "wait a minute.  That guy with 'Howard' on the back of his jersey is Dwight freaking Howard."  This was a guy who, as recently as within the past five years was the undisputed most disruptive force in all of basketball.  This was a guy who, before Kevin Durant made "the leap", was considered, unarguably the second best player in the league.  We got a reminder of that former status in Game 1 when Houston looked like a machine during Howard's minutes.  But can he sustain this level of dominance for long minutes?  If he can, maybe Houston needs to be taken a lot more seriously, and maybe they're as good as people envisioned when Howard first signed.  Howard carried an Orlando team to the Finals with Jameer Nelson and Hedo Turkoglu setting him up in the pick&roll; he now has maybe the best player in the league tossing him lobs.
    • I'm no longer worried about Howard murking things up in the post because I think he understands his role on this team, something that wasn't the case last year before the team's hierarchy was set.  With Harden's explosion this season, Howard now knows what he has to do, and I am feeling more confident that how the offense ran in Game 1 is how the team intends to play going forward.
    • The Mavericks have no answer for the Rockets' star duo, but at the same time, you have to hope that Ariza and Terry continue to hit.  Everything only looked as smooth as it did because those threes were falling.  To that end, aren't we glad its Terry in the corner instead of Beverley?  I have much more confidence in Jason Terry's ability to consistently knock down open shots, rather than Beverley's, as the latter was seemingly feast or famine.
    • Some of you are talking about Beverley attempting to return in later rounds as if I'm supposed to be excited at the prospect.  Why?  If Houston advances that far, I don't know that I want them to tinker with their rotation if things are working.  And Pat already wasn't hitting his shots before going out.  That's supposed to change?  He also wasn't slowing anyone down.  I suppose it would be nice to have his physicality against some of the elite point guards Houston may face, but we saw how that worked out during the year when he got torched on several occasions.  Not to think too far ahead, but if the Rockets go on to play Cleveland in the Finals, I'd rather just start Brewer and have him on Kyrie Irving, with Terry coming off the bench when Irving sits.
    • Clint Capela is an NBA rotation player.  No, I'm not saying he's going to be a star or the next Dwight Howard or anything, but at the least, he will earn NBA checks.  That will present an interesting situation this summer with Dwight Howard, Terrence Jones, and Donatas Motiejunas already under contract, and Josh Smith due for a raise.

#2 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

If bev is able to come back and Terry is playing well I would guess he just takes prigs minutes which is a plus in my view.

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 399 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

I think I would want Beverly to just play spot minutes - if we're playing well enough to get to the WCF or Finals, then I don't want to mess things up. I think Beverly's best bet at that point would be to just play maybe 5 minutes in each half to irritate the opposing point guard. 

Rahat mentioned just starting Brewer against Cleveland iffff we get that far. Why wouldn't we do that against SA/LAC or GS as well? As good a scorer as Kyrie is, Paul and Curry are definitely better (and I'm not forgetting Parker, he just doesn't have the explosion the other two have). 

#4 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 221 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:31 PM

The playoffs are all about matchups--the more available bodies, the more possibilities, so getting Bev back for the WCF (if we can make it that far) would be a plus. 

What the Rox do with their midlevel exception next year will be fascinating.  To you try to resign Smith, or spend it all on a guy like Sergio Lull who might be a big upgrade at point guard.  Not that we should worrky about that now--with a bit of luck, we'll have at least a month of playoff basketball to occupy us before thinking about next year.

#5 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,262 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

Regarding Beverley, I feel like the Rockets are going to need him back in later rounds. Just look at the calibre of point guard we're going up against - the Mavericks have the worst offensive PG of the bunch (Rondo), so we lucked out a bit there, but do you trust Terry and Prigioni (whose combined age is 75!) to be able to slow down Curry/Paul/Parker/Lillard/Conley? Especially remembering that the playoffs are when opponents target opposition weakness? I'm not saying Beverley has been great this year, but I still would be more comfortable seeing him on the court for a key defensive possession than I would either of our other two options at PG.

I guess what I'm saying is that there may come a time where having the option of putting a point guard under the age of 35 on the floor could be useful, and for that reason it's good that there's a chance Beverley will be able to contribute later on in the playoffs, assuming we make it that far.

ST

#6 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 378 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:44 PM

The Mavs on Offense

• Ellis and Parsons had absolutely an horrendous game one. There is no doubt that Ellis will get better. He is a streaky shooter and is completely without a conscious. Rockets fans, do not expect another game like that from him. Just pencil him in for 18+ a night. Parsons however is another matter. The guy is injured, possibly Howard like injured and needs a few months of rest. I am no doctor but I do not expect Parsons to be a viable player in these playoffs. Heck I really do not see him playing in game two, but we will find out tonight.
            • Rondo played as well as he possibly could in game one. I have to give props to the guy. Away from the HOF players Allen and Garnett and Pierce I never expected that game from him. What we saw in game one was the "playoff" Rondo. It will not get better than that unless his team mates step up big time.
            • Unfortunately for the Mavs Chandler is not going to just go bonkers on the offensive end. His game one was about his maximum. 12 points and 18 rebounds. Nothing more than that there sadly for the Mavs.
            • And then Dirk. How could I ever forget him? A brilliant offensive game for him. We will talk about his (nonexistent) defense later. Without D-Mo (or in another life McGrady) there is no one on the Rockets roster that can slow him down short of Ariza. Nowitski even at the ripe old age of 37 can still put the ball in the hoop. Jones and Smith both are not big enough or long enough or aware enough to slow Dirk down. Howard could do it but there is that lob to Chandler. Does everyone miss D-Mo already? The Rockets are probably just going to have to live with 20+ points from Nowitski this series.

Dallas on Defense:

• The Rockets were extremely efficient in game one from behind the arc. That will not continue every night. However, most of those looks they got were absolutely wide open. And there were two reasons for that. The first is the complete inattention to his man by Ellis. I mean, who does Ellis think he last seasons James Harden?

• Dirk is getting to the point in his career where he may be as much of a defensive liability as he is an offensive weapon. The Mavs are just going to have to play the 2-3 match zone whenever Nowitski is on the court.

#7 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

I saw Dallas trap/press Harden bringing the ball up the court....a 2-3 zone defensive.....hack-a-Smith.......Rondo on Harden. ...three guard lineups.....Not sure what else they can do? Aminu on Harden will get the same treatment Rondo got. A screen leaving Harden vs a big (Dirk or Tyson) with shooters to pass to on either side. Maybe a 1-3-1 or 3-2 zone; in which Dwight will destroy (or Jones & Capela will receive lobs from the back door baseline). If they crash the offensive boards we will continue to get plenty of fast breaks, and if they drop guys back to prevent fast breaks we will out rebound the Mavs at a good clip. Monta Ellis got rejected early and often on their bread and butter PnR. Rondo did much better in that aspect. The only change I see will be more hack-a-Smith (D12 or Capela) and more shots by Dirk ( only 14 is too low since their options in PnR are limited ). Mike and Mike on ESPN showed a stat this am in which; teams winning the first two games in a seven game series go on to win 94% of the time. The Rockets series loss that you mentioned was one of the few. Also the Rockets vs the Suns is another.

If anyone saw game two of the Warriors/Pels last night......Reggie Miller repeated what I had mentioned about playing the Warriors. In the 3rd quarter at the 2:44 mark. "Switch every thing and you get situations like this." "It's so easy." "Put Davis at the center position, and just put a lot of like players around him....6' 7" to 6' 8", so you can switch everything."
              Davis just ran out of gas last night. Heard either Jon or Brent Barry saying the same thing in game one. Getting Asik out of there and going small vs the Warriors. Only problem is Ryan Anderson is not much of a defensive presence. The Pels also try using Pondexter on Curry. If only KJ McDaniels hadn't gotten hurt.

http://streamable.com/ifx4

#8 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

Nor eastern.....this is what I meant by wide open shots from three in the playoffs. Teams try to get three guys in the box (restricted area) much like football getting eight men in the box to discourage the run. Experienced NBA players like Brewer and the Jet already have the rim sized up and are ready to shoot....knowing that a guy running at them from 5 feet is not a threat. Terrence and JSmoove need to understand that they have a fraction of a second more to shoot than they did in the regular season. Guys like JJ Barea, Devin Harris, R Jefferson, Monta Ellis, Dirk, Tyson, Parsons, Felton aren't a problem if you get some arch on your shot you should be ok. Aminu is the only threat on the perimeter, and I keep him in front of Ariza.

The Rockets shot 34.8% from three for the season. When the Rockets were 10/23 from three in game one I heard the commentator say something like Houston averaged 11 made threes on 32 attempts during the season. The Rockets ended up 10/25 I believe from three in game one. I expect the Rockets to remain as efficient from three the rest of this series. One never knows. I wouldn't expect Danny Green to be struggling as much as he is.

#9 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 378 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:52 PM

Nor eastern.....this is what I meant by wide open shots from three in the playoffs. Teams try to get three guys in the box (restricted area) much like football getting eight men in the box to discourage the run.

What you are describing is called the 2.9 defense. There are many many good articles on the web about it.

The Mavs main problem is Dirk on the pick and roll.

dirk_bad_d1.0.gif

Here we just see Dirk get caught up on the exterior without slowing down the action. Chandler has to commit to the penetration and Dirk is just in no mans land, not guarding anyone.

dirkbadD2.0.gif

Here we again see Dirk trailing the play. Chandler again commits to the penetration, Dirk is lost in the fog and Smith is sitting right under the basket for the pocket pass and the bunny.

I do not know if Dallas can solve this problem. The Rockets went right at Dirk all night long.

#10 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 179 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:31 AM

The Rockets went right at Dirk all night long.

And it was beautiful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users