Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (11 May 2016 - 02:36 AM) dwight and kenny smith on TNT tonight showing love for each other.
@  slick shoes : (09 May 2016 - 08:13 PM) ...and we've got the great Kenny Smith coming in tomorrow.....
@  DenverRocket : (09 May 2016 - 05:50 PM) Apparently Blatt is interviewing today. Joerger close to signing up with Kings
@  majik19 : (07 May 2016 - 05:43 PM) um.. Dave Joerger anyone?
@  majik19 : (05 May 2016 - 04:25 PM) I was just about to ask about Vogel. But can he take us to the next level?
@  slick shoes : (05 May 2016 - 03:04 PM) Vogel is available. We need to snatch him up asap.
@  majik19 : (05 May 2016 - 02:59 PM) I also find it funny that McHale said "no thanks" to the Kings job.
@  slick shoes : (04 May 2016 - 03:07 PM) I'm really enjoying the fact that we have only interviewed one coaching prospect and he would rather coach the 2nd worst team in the NBA than us.
@  thenit : (28 April 2016 - 06:27 PM) Harden is the best offensive player but the best overall was Klay last night
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:25 AM) klay thompson is the best player on the floor. hard to win when Harden isn't the best.
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:19 AM) GS is better at hitting bad/covered shots than anyone on our team is at hitting open shots.
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 04:16 AM) that was embarassing. 4 offensive rebounds. 2 missed 3s by Ariza and 2 missed 3s by Beverley.
@  Cooper : (28 April 2016 - 03:24 AM) this team is depressing
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 03:01 AM) Ariza is a complete negative on the floor. he can't hit a shot or fight through/around a screen to save his life
@  majik19 : (28 April 2016 - 02:54 AM) everyone but james harden is terrible right now
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 08:49 PM) I think Walton is going to be a solid hire for somebody. I wouldn't mind if it were for us.
@  slick shoes : (27 April 2016 - 06:15 PM) I'd like to see them take it full circle and hire Walton. I don't know if he's the right buy for their young core currently, but maybe 2-3 years from now.
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 05:24 PM) Knowing LA, they will do something that leaves us all scratching our heads.
@  slick shoes : (27 April 2016 - 04:56 PM) While I do favor JVG, I hope that we also kick the tires on a few other guys as well.
@  thejohnnygold : (27 April 2016 - 01:34 PM) If you mean JVG--no, I'm not worried. :)

Photo

Final Bench Data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

New post: Final Bench Data
    By: Richard Li

The Rockets finished the regular season using their bench 35% of the time, which ranked 4th from last place. The Rockets bench had a net rating of 2.1, which ranked 11th in the league. Click on the graphic below for a complete visual representation of the league's bench usage and effectiveness.

[caption id="attachment_14649" align="aligncenter" width="274"]Click for a full-sized interactive version Click for a full-sized interactive version[/caption]

At this same time last year, the Rockets bench played 31% of the time (2nd to last) and had a net rating of 3.0 (4th highest). That the net rating has decreased slightly this year is probably explained by the weakness of the bench at the start of the season. The data throughout the season (you can click through different points in time) certainly show a positive trend as far as net rating is concerned. The increased usage compared to last year is also a good sign and is consistent with the league as a whole. In fact, the league average for bench usage has increased from just above 35% at the end of last season to over 37% right now.

The Dallas Mavericks, whom the Houston Rockets play in the first round, play their bench 37% of the time, identical to last year's usage. Their unit's net rating is 2.5. Given the age of the Mavericks, it's a little surprising that their bench usage isn't higher. Perhaps a viable strategy is to run their old and highly-utilized starters off the floor. Of course, in order to do this the Rockets have to play their bench more, which is almost certainly not going to happen.

Like last year, the Spurs sit at the top of the chart with a 43% usage rate. Their net rating is 5.2, 2nd highest in the league. Interestingly, their opponents, the Clippers, are dead last at 32% (they were 2nd to last last year) and have a net rating of -2.2. That's a very stark difference and definitely favors the Spurs if that series goes six or seven games.

Undoubtedly the most noticeable difference is from the Golden State Warriors. Last year their bench usage was 32%, 3rd from the bottom. Their net rating was -2.9, well below league average. Last year's late injury to Andrew Bogut served as a wake up call, because this year the Warriors play their bench 39% of the time, well above average, and their net rating of 5.7 is highest in the entire league. Not only are the Warriors better than they were last year, they're also more sustainable. Be very happy that the Rockets sit on the other side of the bracket.

#2 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 170 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:44 PM

But the Spurs are in the same half should the Rockets advance past the Mavs. Nothing is a foregone conclusion so I always see it as 1 game at a time, 1 series at a time...Here's to hoping the head band of brothers can get it done to go deep...

#3 majik19

majik19

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 443 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

The most interesting thing about this is how different our bench was this year compared to last year...

2015 Prime Rotation players: Smith, Brewer, Terry/Prigioni, Dorsey, and whichever of Jones/D-mo you pick at some point in the season

2014 Prime Rotation players: Lin, Garcia, Casspi, Asik, and D-mo. 

And next year, probably completely different again... with Smith, Brewer, and Prigioni being FAs. 

Semi on this subject, this site was a fun walk through time...: http://basketball.re...0/depth-charts�

Edited by majik19, 16 April 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#4 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:27 AM

The bench percentage is skewed this year by the number of injuries the Rockets have/had over the course of the season. At one point only D-Mo Dorsey and Smith were the Rockets front court. He injuries lead to a lack of depth, thus causing the starters to play more minutes. Plus the Rockets didn't blow teams out, every game seemed to be determined in the 4th meaning more minutes for the starters.

#5 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 170 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

The bench percentage is skewed this year by the number of injuries the Rockets have/had over the course of the season. At one point only D-Mo Dorsey and Smith were the Rockets front court. He injuries lead to a lack of depth, thus causing the starters to play more minutes. Plus the Rockets didn't blow teams out, every game seemed to be determined in the 4th meaning more minutes for the starters.

That's an excellent point.  The reason why bench for GSW were rated so high and had such a high usage rates is because their starters blew teams out and didn't need to play with the game in hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users