Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thenit : (20 March 2016 - 02:40 PM) Its time someone in the team got into Harden's face. I don't even care what the reason was or if Jet was at fault, just good that someone is willing to do it
@  slick shoes : (20 March 2016 - 12:04 AM) did anyone just see James and JET get in to it? they had to be separated by Brewer.
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM) I don't know, Feigen tweeted that they had another meeting, and that Dmo said that we had 6 or 6 of those according to feigen. Basically said its no time to talk because nothing changes and walk the walk
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 09:19 PM) Who is calling these meetings? Does anyone even show up at this point?
@  thenit : (17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM) Its laughable, they had another players only meeting. I think its like the 10th one. Still no change. Its so stupid, like Dmo said whats the point of talking if we don't play hard.
@  slick shoes : (17 March 2016 - 02:54 AM) are you surprised? this is the same team that we've seen all season. so much talk from the locker room about improvement and change. the grizz win was a fluke.
@  Cooper : (17 March 2016 - 02:52 AM) on pace to give up 144 at half, pathetic effort.
@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:10 PM) I wonder what happens to his share of the team now?
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:09 PM) "The Oklahoma City Police Department said he was traveling at a high speed and "pretty much drove straight into the wall.""
@  thejohnnygold : (02 March 2016 - 08:57 PM) Sounds more like suicide...

Photo

Houston Rockets 95, New Orleans Pelicans 93: H&H

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 95, New Orleans Pelicans 93: H&H
    By: Forrest Walker

Dwight Howard is alive and well. He's dunking in traffic, finishing alley-oops, defending the paint and grabbing rebounds. He suited up after a two month absence, played 16 minutes, and did all the things Dwight Howard should be doing. The Rockets also won a critical game against a division rival, gained a game on the team ahead of them, and didn't lose anyone else to injury. To top it all off, Houston came back from a dismal first quarter to erase a 17-point deficit and in fact take a double digit lead for much of the second half. The Rockets got everything they wanted and more, and remain undefeated with Jason Terry as a starter.

James Harden, true to his promise, changed nothing with Howard back in a jersey. Harden attacked the basket, shoot his man, drew fouls, and started his evening out with a beautiful dish to a dunking Dwight. Without Patrick Beverley (torn wrist ligament) for the foreseeable future, Harden's handling and creation abilities are coming into full focus. He responded with 10 assists to go with his 25 points, and his effect was apparent whenever he left the floor.The Rockets struggled to find any offense without Harden, but steamrolled the Pelicans with his help. Harden remains the engine that drives the team, and Houston had better hope he can get some rest and avoid injury for the rest of the season.

If Harden is the engine, Ariza is the suspension, a vitally necessary but seldom highlighted element that the whole contraption rests on. Trevor Ariza took 13 shots and ended up with 22 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals. He hit 3 of 4 attempts from deep and was instrumental in a huge comeback across the second and third quarters. He defended resident superhuman Anthony Davis for long stretches, and he was as up to the task as anyone's been all year. Ariza's second stint in Houston has been the opposite of his first go, in the best way possible. The fact that Houston has him for three more years after this one on a declining salary is turning out to be one of the steals of the off-season.

Another role player came up big, as he has before, and as he must again. Donatas Motiejunas has been a godsend for an offensively challenged Rockets team, and his post play has been a welcome pressure valve for a team that's missing its starting one guard. He's also more and more willing to let fly from downtown, and he's accurate enough that he can usually make teams think twice about leaving him alone. The competition between Motiejunas and Terrence Jones has been amazing to watch, as both players continue to outperform expectations and fill in the gaps of a roster that needs to shoring up. Motiejunas' 21 points and 8 boards are the latest entry in a competition that has no losers for Houston.

Joey Dorsey and Dwight Howard did a fine job in their role as Dwight Howard by committee, with Dorsey covering 11 minutes with 4-5 field goals and 3 rebounds, and Howard going 2-3 with 7 boards in his 11 minutes. 12 points, 8 field goals, 10 rebounds, 3 assists and a block is a fine line for 26 minutes of play, so if Dwight and his stunt double can keep this tag team going until Dwight's ready to be Dwight full time, Houston is well taken care of.

The headband crew didn't fare well. Josh Smith led the crew with 9 points on 4-10 shooting and 4 rebounds, though his one made three out of 4 tries was critical. Jason Terry and Corey Brewer were worse from the field, and Brewer only had a couple high-energy clutch plays, well below his standard. Jason Terry simply can't be trusted in general, and the sooner he gets sent back to the bench, the better for everyone. If Pablo Prigioni could get his shot back on line and his passes back on course, that would help Houston in this time of need. Hopefully he'll work out as point guard insurance while Beverley is gone, perhaps for the season.

On a night when the Rockets couldn't catch a break in their game, when Anthony Davis shot more free throws (14) than the Rockets did as a team (12), when they started 0-7 from three and the Pelicans shot 75% in the first quarter, Harden and Howard were there. The H&H Rockets are finally back, and now Houston is only one loss behind the 2nd seed Memphis Grizzlies. Despite injuries, despite poor shooting, despite everything, the Rockets are still around. And now that the other H is back, it's time to move forward.

#2 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 549 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

Jason Terry led the stat line with a +/- of +11! Outstanding performance of 0-3 from the field, 3 assists and only 4 TOs and 2 whole rebounds! Corey Brewer was also impressive with a +/- of +6 with 1-7 from the field, 2 assists, 2 TOs, 2 rebounds, 0 blocks in 27 minutes of play... Meanwhile Harden was a dud with a +/- of -2. WTF is up with this damn stat in the ESPN box score? Seems pretty useless to me.

Something has to be done with the PG spot. Prigioni seems to be effective but I doubt he can play heavy minutes. I'm still pining to see KJ paired with Harden in the backcourt. But since that's happened a total of zero time since KJ's signing, I don't think it will happen this season. Maybe there's another geriatric PG to add to our two out there watching all this? Chauncey Billups or a facsimile thereof? Any OK PGs that have been cut this year? Where's AB when we need him? (i Know the answer to that one) How about down in the valley? Jarvis Threatt looks a little interesting? Is there rules preventing us from pursuing anybody not currently on contract?

#3 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 77 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Baron Davis who hasn't played since 2011-2012

#4 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 77 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

Will Bynum.

#5 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 549 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

Baron Davis who hasn't played since 2011-2012

Huge BD fan, I lived in NOLA when he played with Mashburn on the Hornets. I think he was pretty crippled though by the time he petered out. Also I hear he's good friends with Jessica Alba, so probably pretty happy being retired right now..

Will Bynum.

I can get behind that, still relatively young at 32, pretty tough fella if I remember correctly.

Why not Superfreak Mike James?

#6 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 170 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

Having Canaan envy now, methinks...but the show must go on. Terry may not play a lick of defense, but has been known for huge shots in the playoffs and is never afraid of the moment so he still may surprise us.

#7 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,263 posts
              • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

I was pretty impressed by Dorsey last night. He seemed to suddenly be capable of finishing strongly on the pick-and-roll, something I haven't really seen him do much before. It's too little too late because he's going to be out of the rotation soon, but was interesting to see.

ST

#8 majik19

majik19

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 399 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:19 PM

I was pretty impressed by Dorsey last night. He seemed to suddenly be capable of finishing strongly on the pick-and-roll, something I haven't really seen him do much before. It's too little too late because he's going to be out of the rotation soon, but was interesting to see.

ST

<crosses fingers> we still haven't heard a timetable on Jones and Smith isn't 100% healthy either. 

#9 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 228 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

ST

I know he got completely stopped at the rim by Davis, but I really liked seeing him attack him like he did. It was one of those moments where you realize how fearless he is even though he has so many shortcomings physically as a player. For an end of the rotation big, I have been happy with Dorsey (excluding the first month or so). 

#10 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 478 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:02 PM

best pg out there i think available is probably jordan farmar.....maybe mike james (but his like 40).....theres also that guy in german (?) league we looked at last year when bev got hurt.

edit: http://hoopshype.com...malcolm-delaney

that guy. and he's in russia now, was in bayern last year

Edited by Losthief, 26 March 2015 - 10:06 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users