Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RocketMan : (15 March 2016 - 11:34 PM) Per the references, yes.
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2016 - 12:51 PM) Is Terrence Jones even on the team any more?
@  majik19 : (12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM) didn't watch the whole game, but we actually looked solid on both ends. the defense was rotating appropriately. i can hardly believe it.
@  DenverRocket : (11 March 2016 - 08:51 PM) Great interview with DM: http://espn.go.com/e...lay?id=14951528
@  majik19 : (10 March 2016 - 02:20 AM) pathetic how close this game is...
@  thejohnnygold : (06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM) Those are some sweet socks. Have fun!
@  bboley24 : (05 March 2016 - 06:38 PM) Im going to the game tonight in Chicago. Ill be in the bright rockets sweater. Wearing my socks as usual. Then off to the Cleveland game in a few weeks as well! My wife is an amazing woman.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 March 2016 - 05:52 PM) Dekker and Harell looking pretty good down in RGV...especially Harell. LINK
@  majik19 : (03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM) the Rockets are so desperate they signed Michael Beasley to a 1+ year contract...
@  thejohnnygold : (03 March 2016 - 01:59 AM) Gotta admit, I like what I'm seeing so far...4 minutes left in 1st half and the entire team looks good...now if we can just get some of these 3's to fall...
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:10 PM) I wonder what happens to his share of the team now?
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 09:09 PM) "The Oklahoma City Police Department said he was traveling at a high speed and "pretty much drove straight into the wall.""
@  thejohnnygold : (02 March 2016 - 08:57 PM) Sounds more like suicide...
@  slick shoes : (02 March 2016 - 08:14 PM) So the minority owner of the Thunder died in a one car accident one day after being indicted for antitrust.... Coincidence?
@  slick shoes : (01 March 2016 - 10:56 PM) That's the one, JG. Smooth as eggs.
@  majik19 : (01 March 2016 - 08:49 PM) Milwaukee averages 99.1 pts per game. We gave up 128. What more proof do we need that our defensive scheme is nonexistent?
@  Sir Thursday : (01 March 2016 - 07:50 PM) So, Ty Lawson is gone. Let's see if the team can keep their unbeaten record going when he's not in uniform (currently 7-0!)
@  thejohnnygold : (01 March 2016 - 07:28 PM) You mean this pass? :)
@  slick shoes : (01 March 2016 - 03:17 PM) That behind the back bounce pass to JET though....
@  thenit : (01 March 2016 - 07:16 AM) Thanks JG, if its accurate I like his attitude regarding contracts etc. He looked pretty good tonight despite being off for months.

Photo

Houston Rockets 110, Indiana Pacers 100: Attack Mode Engaged

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 110, Indiana Pacers 100: Attack Mode Engaged
    By: Mitchell Felker

Poor George Hill.

Poor Solomon Hill, poor C.J. Miles and poor Ian Mahinmi.

The poor, poor Indiana Pacers.

When James Harden is in attack mode, all you can do is pity the fool opposing team, primarily whatever sucker gets tasked with attempting to wrangle the Beard on a given play.

And Monday night in Indiana, Harden was in attack mode.  He ended the night with 44 points, thanks in large part to sinking 21(!) of his 22(!!) attempted free throws.  And this wasn't the ref-baiting, flop-master that so many Harden detractors detest.  This was the expert scoring machine that knows how to protect his space with the ball and penetrate the defender's all at the same time.

As much as I cherish listening to Bill Worrell talk basketball, I get a real kick out of listening to opposing broadcasts digest this Rockets team.  Harden's Morey-Ball.  Dwight Howard's post game.  Josh Smith's J-Smoove-ness.  There is a lot to take in.  And last night Chris Denari and Quinn Buckner saw a whole lot of Harden rocking his defender to sleep, getting into the paint and attacking the rim, only to be sent to the stripe by another chop across the forearms by an unwitting assailant; all while the Pacers' broadcast team were forced repeatedly to admit something along the lines of, "Yea, you can see the slap across his arms right there".

But it wasn't just on plays at the rim that Harden was drawing contact.  The Pacers were hellbent on crowding Harden and playing him close, which only made things easier for the Beard.  Any time a Pacer defender reached in or made too much body contact, Harden was ready to attack that space and make it his own, often drawing a whistle.  And I won't even say I don't appreciate the way Harden's critics feel about this type of strategy, but it keeps defenses out of his jersey and leaves him room to operate.  Just don't tell me that free throws are "the best shot in basketball", then expect me to get indignant when a player excels at creating that particular shot.

But enough about the Beard, we'll come back to him.  As sublime as Harden was, the rest of the Rockets were excellent as well.

If it feels like I'm always talking nice about Josh Smith, it's because I am.  He has played well in just about every game I've covered this season, and last night was no different.  Smith had 18 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists.  But the real surprise was how smooth his jumper looked last night.  Smith shot 4-6 from deep, and while he did have one airball, his catch-and-shoot continued to look sharp.  He even knocked down a 25-footer off the dribble with a hand in his face to beat the shot clock on one possession.  I still prefer my Smoove as close to the rim as possible, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy life's little gems.

Donatas Motiejunas chipped in 17 points, the most memorable being the fluid 31-footer he knocked down as time expired in the third quarter with four Pacers in his vicinity.  He also had his usual craftiness around the rim, scoring on a bevy of hooks and drop-steps.  Which leaves me wondering, with D-Mo and former-Rocket Luis Scola (miss you) facing off against each other in the same building, does that mean the rest of the NBA was up and under-less?

As for the rest of the Rockets, every player had a positive plus/minus (led by Joey Dorsey's +14), Corey Brewer was the only other double-digit scorer (11) and Trevor Ariza had a game-high 11 boards.  Pat Beverley picked up a wrist injury trying to snag a rebound, which was especially disconcerting because he knew right away that he was injured.  He grabbed his wrist as he headed down court, but he didn't make it three steps before turning to Kevin McHale for a substitution and immediately jogging back to the locker room.  As of publication, no word on the extent of his injury.

But back to Harden.

In the month of March, Harden's seemingly air-tight case for MVP has been dealt a Russell Westbrook-sized blow.  After months of valiantly carrying a beat-up squad through the treacherous West, where one three-game losing streak can cost you 3-4 seeds in the standings, Harden finally let doubt creep back into the MVP conversation.  With Steph Curry and the Warriors rounding out a 60-win season, and Russell Westbrook in the middle of his spot-on '89 Jordan impersonation, Harden needed a strong finish to stay fresh in the voters' minds.

Instead, pundits would have you believe Harden has played some of his worst basketball of the season this month, including the clunker he had in Utah two weeks ago.  The reality, though, is that Harden's March hasn't been markedly different from the first four months of the season.  His shooting percentages are the lowest they've been all year, but his assists, rebounds and even free throw attempts have held steady.

The problem really comes down to his legs.  Essentially, for entire games this month, Harden has looked cooked.

Including last night, Harden has played 11 games in March.  In six of those games, he has looked like himself, scoring 31.5 ppg, with 18.7 FTA and 39% from deep.  All indicators that he's fine.  But in the other five games, Harden is averaging 16.8 ppg, with 7.2 FTA and 15% 3pt.  That three-point percentage is very concerning, because tired legs equal a flat shot.  Not to mention, pull-up jumpers look a lot more inviting than yet another foray into the land of giants when you're spent, and less dribble-drives means less free throws.

I still think Harden is the front runner for MVP, but at this point I'd be more concerned about trying to navigate 4 rounds of brutal NBA playoffs than running Beard into the ground for a regular season award.  Harden is third in minutes per game, but because he's stayed healthy and hasn't had a two week vacation mid-season (LEBRON), Harden actually leads the NBA in minutes played.

That's another good reason to vote for him for MVP, but it's also a big justification to let him have some rest down the stretch.  With just 12 games to go, decisions have to be made.

#2 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Last year, everybody was moaning and complaining about the ISO play at the top of the circle with, you guessed it, one Mr. James Harden.

Not sure what happened, but over time, that seems to be acceptable at least on these boards.

Just a thought.......

Edited by rocketrick, 24 March 2015 - 04:55 PM.

#3 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 90 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

I was one of those! But this year, Harden has developed next-level ball handling. People talk a lot of Irving and Curry, but Hwrden is right there.

And as far as moaning, I still don't understand the logic of playing ISO when they have literally the best, most efficient pick-and-roll duo in the league. Part of that is Dwight's unwillingness to be a decoy, but I think they should sit Dwight in the high post and zig-zag off him all game. I just wish he would buy into that.

Plus, i wonder how far the Rockets can go playing so much ISO. Kawhi Leonard is healthy again and it appears that the Rockets will get the spurs in round one. He puts the clamps on people.

#4 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

Cool, "next level ball handling"?? Really? Seems the same to me but who am I to say?

Harden and D12 P&R seems a bit more difficult these past couple of months with D12 not playing. 

Kinda surprised, but not really, knowing the crapola of this web-site, that is even mentioned.

Particularly since you are a regular writer but I choose to digress for now.

Rockets Round 1 opponent is SO FAR from being determined it's ridiculous.

For sure it is one of Dallas Mavericks, LA Clippers or San Antonio Spurs.

Until then, Who really Gives a crap?

#5 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,260 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

Last year, everybody was moaning and complaining about the ISO play at the top of the circle with, you guessed it, one Mr. James Harden.

Not sure what happened, but over time, that seems to be acceptable at least on these boards.

Just a thought.......

The reason (at least for me) is that he now seems to be getting results that justify the amount of ISO he does. The main difference to my eye is the percentage on his step-back jumper. These days he feels almost automatic when he gets to the elbow area, and he seems to be able to do that consistently against the majority of defenders. With those skills, it's now more sensible for him to engage in late-game ISOs.

Having said that, recently he's had a few games where he has struggled. As Mitchell points out, he has looked tired in quite a few games, and when he's in that state he needs to do a better job of realising it and getting the team to run something else in crunch-time. It used to be that when he saw a lane with 4-5 defenders camped in it he would be willing to kick to a shooter for a three if he couldn't get anywhere, but lately he hasn't been doing that so much. Would like to see him get back to that a bit more.

ST

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,387 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

Cool, "next level ball handling"?? Really? Seems the same to me but who am I to say?

Harden and D12 P&R seems a bit more difficult these past couple of months with D12 not playing. 

Kinda surprised, but not really, knowing the crapola of this web-site, that is even mentioned.

Particularly since you are a regular writer but I choose to digress for now.

Rockets Round 1 opponent is SO FAR from being determined it's ridiculous.

For sure it is one of Dallas Mavericks, LA Clippers or San Antonio Spurs.

Until then, Who really Gives a crap?

Now, Rick, to be fair this site has "next level crapola".  It's no click-bait, sensationalism website that talks big but seldom delivers--we can't all be bleacherreport.com.  Still, the writers here each offer a unique voice and insight, for better or worse, and a sincere love and understanding of this team.

How many writers always find the time to reply to reader comments/feedback--good or bad?  Not many.  Yet, here one may find such interactions.  I'm sorry if coming here has you feeling a little....dirty...

....but the truth is grousing about what this site lacks (in your estimation) while being equally guilty of said offense lacks self-awareness and carries roughly the weight of a wiffle ball thrown by a toddler into the wind.

While you aren't necessarily wrong in your observations, I do think it is certainly worthwhile to discuss these things.  12 games left in the season and you think play off seeding is "SO FAR" away?  OK then.  Ask Dallas about that later tonight after they lose to San Antonio (3rd straight loss) and fall 2 games back of the surging Spurs.

I think San Antonio is eye-balling that 5 seed and a re-match of last year's 2nd round with Portland.  I'm pretty sure they would prefer that to facing Houston in round 1.  That would drop the Clippers into our laps for the ultimate hack-a-center showdown of all time.  

Napoleon-Dynamite-GIF-Slap-fight.gif

As for who gives a crap...by your highly volatile post I'd guess you do....as do 99.9% of our "next level crapola" aficionados.  B)

#7 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

For starters, ST and JG responded today.

Still, I am not impressed nor convinced.

Harden is Harden, perhaps he is a bit more efficient (Go Morey!) on his possessions this season than last; however, it is easily arguable Harden simply has more options this year than last in terms of assisting with positive results.

In layman's terms, the Rockets are a much better and efficient offensively wise team this season with Josh Smith, Corey Brewer and Jason Terry, et al.

The lane is more open for Harden this season because he has teammates that can actually finish now.

Remember, last season Harden had Chandler (brick) Parsons, Lin and Sickly Asik to rely upon.

#8 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 90 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

"the Rockets are a much better and efficient offensively wise team this season with Josh Smith..."

That sentence brings me so much joy.

And as far as Harden's ball-handling goes, it's miles better than last year. I would even venture thats it's his most improved attribute, as opposed to the often talked about midrange. That triple-dribble crossover gets him to whatever part of the court he wants.

There's certainly no metric to quantify his ball-handling, but it's there.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,387 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:34 AM

"the Rockets are a much better and efficient offensively wise team this season with Josh Smith..."

That sentence brings me so much joy.

And as far as Harden's ball-handling goes, it's miles better than last year. I would even venture thats it's his most improved attribute, as opposed to the often talked about midrange. That triple-dribble crossover gets him to whatever part of the court he wants.

There's certainly no metric to quantify his ball-handling, but it's there.

I agree with you on the dribbling and, if memory serves, Rahat has talked about it as well.  If Harden hadn't been so good last year he would be in the talks for MIP (most improved player).  Think about it--improved focus and effort on D, the dribbling, the mid-range, and let's not forget his season long ability to hit crucial late game shots.  (that last one is where the Kobe haters conveniently forget/ignore that not all "game winners" come at the buzzer.  Often, it is 4 possessions earlier that a crucial shot gets made that makes the difference between winning and losing.  Harden has made more of those this season than anyone outside of one of Morey's interns has counted--and I have no doubt they are being counted.)

I am not convinced that offensively Smith, Brewer, and Jet are that much better than Parsons, Lin, and co. were (well, ok, yes to Jet).  I think it has as much to do with James learning to trust his teammates better as it does with who his teammates are.

I'm glad people have embraced Smith.  He brings a lot to the table (including some stuff you don't want).  It's simple.  If your team is relying on him to win the game you're screwed.  If he can just do his thing and someone else can do the heavy lifting then good things happen more often than not.

As for not having a metric to quantify Harden's dribbling--82games.com has what they call "hands rating".  I've never understood it, really, but it is supposed to measure that aspect of a player's game.

Here are Harden's "ratings": (for reference, Dwight Howard is a 4.9 this season and Chris Paul is a 34.3)

'14-'15: 18.7

'13-'14: 18.0

'12-'13: 17.2

'11-'12: 14.4

'10-'11: 13.3

'09-'10: 12.6

Meh, not very useful is it?

Meanwhile, Dallas is riding some hot 3-pt. shooting to a win over San Antonio.  So much for my prediction  :rolleyes:

#10 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 306 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:22 AM

I was often opposing those articles last year. I mentioned how "it was hard to soar like an eagle, when you are surrounded by turkey's." Exit Asik (no 3 point threat), Lin (not a spot up 3 -guy), old D-Mo. Enter Ariza, Jet, savy veterans....Brewer and Smoove, along with more experienced D-Mo.
                When the playoffs start and everyone is packing the paint.....Im hoping the 3's become wide open. I have more confidence in this group making the 3 in the playoffs, than last years.

I'm watching the Blazers implement my strategy of playing the Warriors as I suggested. They have Gee, Affalo, Wright starting. Gee would be like our KJ McDaniels. You have to switch defenders on Curry and Thompson. If you go over the top if the screen or go under the screen vs Curry or Thompson.....your dead in the water. Neither needs much room to get off their shots. If you allow curry to get in the heart of your defense.....he's got you as well. I like our players in that scheme better though....Ariza,Harden,Brewer,KJ, D12

#11 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 478 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:57 AM

Howard possible to start Wednesday; first time in career to replace a worse FT shooter than himself in the starting line-up????

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#12 Willk

Willk

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 457 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:10 AM

Howard possible to start Wednesday; first time in career to replace a worse FT shooter than himself in the starting line-up????

That's why I'm hoping the Rox don't get the clips in the 1st round. a D12 vs Jordan free throw shooting contest will not be fun to watch

#13 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 63 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:06 PM

It was a good game by the Rockets, with the exception of the 3rd quarter. Really liked our defense in the 1st half and the control of the game in the 4th. Harden was hardening (is that a thing?) throughout the game and, once again, willed us to the victory. Portland had 4 players out and lost to the Warriors, so today is a big game in New Orleans. Also, I'm hoping for a W because that dreadful game we played last time in NO (I know it was kind of a schedule loss) is still fresh in my mind.

#14 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 306 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:46 PM

12 games left in the season.....I'm hoping the Rockets win 10 of them and finish w/57 wins. It will be tough with two vs Pels and two vs Spurs and one vs Mavs. Go Rockets!

#15 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 166 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

Haha too funny! Dwight is BACK! These games against pels, spurs and mavs should be a great preview to the playoffs. Go rockets!

Edited by clydesmoustache, 25 March 2015 - 11:01 PM.

#16 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 695 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:36 PM

I was often opposing those articles last year. I mentioned how "it was hard to soar like an eagle, when you are surrounded by turkey's." Exit Asik (no 3 point threat), Lin (not a spot up 3 -guy), old D-Mo. Enter Ariza, Jet, savy veterans....Brewer and Smoove, along with more experienced D-Mo.
                          When the playoffs start and everyone is packing the paint.....Im hoping the 3's become wide open. I have more confidence in this group making the 3 in the playoffs, than last years.

I'm watching the Blazers implement my strategy of playing the Warriors as I suggested. They have Gee, Affalo, Wright starting. Gee would be like our KJ McDaniels. You have to switch defenders on Curry and Thompson. If you go over the top if the screen or go under the screen vs Curry or Thompson.....your dead in the water. Neither needs much room to get off their shots. If you allow curry to get in the heart of your defense.....he's got you as well. I like our players in that scheme better though....Ariza,Harden,Brewer,KJ, D12

Just a reference but we are shooting 34.6 % this season and last year we shot 35.8 %. I agree we have some upgrades, but IMO its not that big of a difference offensively. I would gather its more improvement on the D side that made us better by having 2 poor wing defenders to 2 elite defenders and Harden going from bad to good. Also internal growth in Harden's game and Dmo improvement with Jones also helped us. 

Offensive production that Lin and Parsons contributed have been replaced by Brewer, Smith, Ariza etc, the biggest difference is they are all better defenders than those previous rockets. So I agree on your point on that we can switch more with our current playrers.

#17 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 306 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

One slight difference from last year is? Three starters from last year have missed most of year...D12/TJ.....and? Parsons. Not too many teams improve with so much change. But D12 is back.....TJ? May come back.....and Parsons (don't let the door hit you the back as you left) replaced by Ariza. With the inside out game of D12/Harden......you will start to see what I'm talking about (open 3's....as per our system/plan).

Pops (Spurs played the Heat in the finals two years ago)....Saw Pops in an interview say that he would stick to one outside shooter of the Heat while jamming the paint to prevent or decrease the high percentage shot (penetration of D Wade/LeBron). Who was that guy? Bosh? Ray Allen? Battier? No Mike Miller!! Pops said others would have to make shots.....other than Miller. Well teams were daring Bosh to shoot them in the playoffs.....he stunk it up. So did Battier. Allen did as well....until the 3. You know the game where fans in Miami left the arena....then they wanted back in. Pops lost that series as a result. Last year Portland just had to stick with Parsons......Lin couldn't make a 3 to save his life....D-Mo didn't play.....TJ didn't make too many.......and.....and........that's it. This year they will play Ariza the same way they did Parsons. The one player teams will stay close with out on the perimeter. But now D-Mo can make some (more stable footing....less drifting to the side as he shoots), TJ can make some, Smith can make some, Brewer can make some, and the Jet can diffently make some! Veterans is the common theme. Harden could pass the ball all night....but if players don't make their shots.....no assist. It takes two to tango....when it comes to assists.

Edited by Jatman20, 26 March 2015 - 03:05 AM.

#18 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 306 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:21 AM

Thenit.....In reference to switching more.......I was talking about playing the Warriors in the playoffs. The Rockets are one of the few teams that can sit the PG....and going with more height at that position.....because Harden handles the ball so much for our team. Mr 94 feet will be running into a screen at 90 feet......coach Kerr is not dumb; a former point guard knows how to help Curry escape that pressure. Did you see the best defensive point guard fighting over the top of a screen....while Curry had Hawes intercept Curry and his path. Curry went between the legs and then around the back right by the best defensive PG (Chris Paul)....step to the right and buried the shot. Curry made Paul look like he was moving in slow motion. It is useless to have a PG fighting over/under screens exerting energy and effort while Curry is just toying with you. Kerr runs screen after screen for both Thompson and Curry. How do the Warriors have the most effecient defense? Switching. We have to fight fire with fire. Portland made some changes but they have to keep Lillard on the court because he means so much to their offense. If you saw the game last night......poor Lillard was fight over screens. And they played Meyers vs second team players....the tallest guy for the Warriors was Speights. Meyers couldn't match up. Kerr will press us if we have no PG on the floor. Guys like Ariza, Brewer, Harden, KJ should be able to get the ball past mid-court. Tonight vs the Pelicans the Rockets started Ariza, Harden, Brewer.....Ariza playing a form of PG. A playoff preview possibly.

Oh side note.......Bev probably won't be playing the rest of the season or playoffs. So insert the Jet or Nick in place where I wrote, "our PG."

Edited by Jatman20, 26 March 2015 - 03:27 AM.

#19 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 306 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:33 AM

I heard Cowheard on the radio show say teams are going to post up the Warriors in the playoffs and knock them out in the first round. I saw the last Rockets game in Golden State. Each defender seemed to have a foot in the paint.....as soon as we put the ball on the floor (in posting up) they swooped in from all angles. Knocking the ball off of the shins of TJ.....or Smith.....or D-Mo. The Warriors got out and contested the three point shooters so well. I disagree with Cowheard.......I don't think teams will have much luck posting the Warriors up. We may need some screeners for our three point shooters to free them up. I'm not a fan of the Warriors....but I respect them. If any team can beat them....we can.....Because Harden handles the ball well.

Edited by Jatman20, 26 March 2015 - 03:36 AM.

#20 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                                • PipPipPip
                                • 170 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

I heard Cowheard on the radio show say teams are going to post up the Warriors in the playoffs and knock them out in the first round. I saw the last Rockets game in Golden State. Each defender seemed to have a foot in the paint.....as soon as we put the ball on the floor (in posting up) they swooped in from all angles. Knocking the ball off of the shins of TJ.....or Smith.....or D-Mo. The Warriors got out and contested the three point shooters so well. I disagree with Cowheard.......I don't think teams will have much luck posting the Warriors up. We may need some screeners for our three point shooters to free them up. I'm not a fan of the Warriors....but I respect them. If any team can beat them....we can.....Because Harden handles the ball well.

Yes it will be hard to post up the Warriors but I think Cowherd is thinking that has to be the strategy or the approach in attacking Golden State's switching defense. They switch ever pick and roll and jump the screener because their defenders can guard a majority of perimeter players. Any opponent needs to slow down the game where the switching tactic is nullified and if you have a superior paint player and space the floor correctly, you stand a chance in slowing down the Warriors. I think posting positions 1-4 would probably work since Bogut is a good lost post defender. Unless you're Memphis and you pull him out with Gasol and have Randolf work on Green (pretty good post defender in his own rights). That has to be one of your game plans if you meet GSW in the playoffs. Obviously you need a lot of contingency plans in case this doesn't work or you don't have the spacing of shooters when the double team comes...

Edited by YaoMan, 26 March 2015 - 04:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users