Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (16 March 2015 - 07:01 AM) I wouldn't be so optimistic about that until I see an encore after Griffin plays more games. He had been out for 5 weeks.
@  JY86er : (16 March 2015 - 06:07 AM) Finally have an answer for Griffin. T-Jones!
@  TTrainW : (16 March 2015 - 02:50 AM) And with that the Spurs are fifth in the West
@  Mario Peña : (15 March 2015 - 10:31 PM) Agreed, Ariza looked good today.
@  majik19 : (15 March 2015 - 10:21 PM) what a pair of defensive plays by Ariza
@  redfaithful : (15 March 2015 - 10:19 PM) Does this win count in the playoff?
@  redfaithful : (15 March 2015 - 10:18 PM) Wow
@  Mario Peña : (15 March 2015 - 10:16 PM) Should they foul Jordan?
@  TTrainW : (12 March 2015 - 03:46 AM) Can't really stop Aldridge, but looks like they can't contain Josh Smith with the defence they're playing on him
@  marbony81110 : (12 March 2015 - 03:29 AM) D.Mo is a horrible rebounder. Every game I hope to see him box out and actually grab the board. Every game he disappoints.
@  Mario Peña : (11 March 2015 - 02:44 AM) Dallas getting destroyed by the Cavs, that's pretty good entertainment for a Rockets night off.
@  majik19 : (10 March 2015 - 06:54 PM) There is no easy path, but I think we definitely want to avoid the winner of the OKC/GS series, which is really the only "locked" seeding right now, unless Dallas really collapses.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 March 2015 - 04:34 PM) Agreed, and I think most people here have agreed with that all season. There is no easy path, only ones that give us slightly better on court match-ups.
@  YaoMan : (09 March 2015 - 04:06 PM) @JG I can appreciate that line of thinking about avoiding the Spurs especially now that they are getting it together at the right time too. I get the feeling it doesn't matter who the Rox face. They'll need to prove themselves in the this gauntlet of the West no matter what. As they used to say, to be the best, you have to beat the best!
@  jorgeaam : (08 March 2015 - 08:35 PM) Popovich was just waiting for everyone to count the Spurs out again.
@  thejohnnygold : (08 March 2015 - 07:22 PM) Just know that Popovich is smiling ear to ear behind closed doors knowing that people, once again, are counting them out.
@  Cooper : (08 March 2015 - 06:19 PM) Bulls without butler and rose don't have a lot going for them.
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 March 2015 - 06:08 PM) Yeah I was a doubter, but just watched that first half of SAS-CHI, and the Spurs are looking pretty Spursy...
@  thejohnnygold : (08 March 2015 - 04:05 PM) Yaoman, I said the same thing in my post below. I was responding to a different question you asked about. I disagree with the 2 seed as that likely invites a first round visit from OKC or SA. I know many are convinced this is the year they are finally too old, but I'm not buying it. The reality is they are a great team and back-to-back WC champs. No thanks.
@  YaoMan : (08 March 2015 - 04:03 AM) On another note, Memphis and Portland both lost tonight...

Photo

This is how Ariza should play!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

Ariza was game changer vs Cavs....my personal MVP....he carried our defense by guarding lebron and harrasing passing lanes forcing turnovers making steals, rebounding and taking only 3  3pt atempts (he missed all of them but i can live with him  spoiling only 3 possesions).

he should always stay  away from shooting if hes not hot that night...... we would have a much better record now  if he always played like this...

#2 TTrainW

TTrainW

• Members
    • Pip
    • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

I wouldn't go as far to say that Ariza was the MVP (Harden is clearly the winner of that accolade, but it's your own personal opinion anyways), but I agree that his defence was pretty damn good when it mattered. Lebron is a tough check for anybody, and though he did end up scoring 37 points, this was on 35 FG attempts, hence look at the process, not the results (though we got lucky this time IMO on all his missed FTs). I disagree that Ariza's missed 3pt attempts are spoiled possessions; it's easy to get frustrated when a players misses   multiple threes, but Ariza is a proven shooter who can make the three on a consistent basis, and is valuable at spacing the floor for Harden to drive and post players like Jones, Smith and D-Mo to operate. 

Sure, if Ariza has what you call an "off night", he shouldn't force tough shots, but if he has an open shot he should take it, because that is clearly the right decision on the court, regardless of whether or not we fans perceive him to be "hot" or feeling it or not. The shooter in him has to believe that the next shot will fall. 

#3 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

I disagree that Ariza's missed 3pt attempts are spoiled possessions; it's easy to get frustrated when a players misses   multiple threes, but Ariza is a proven shooter who can make the three on a consistent basis,

yes hes consistent he was off for a cuople of months consistently hahahah :D

if he shot in huge volumes like he did for that cuople of off months we would have been blown out last night ...i dont care if the percentage is good....theres no stat(yet) for killing momentum... arizas blunderous 3pts atempts were chemistry and momentum killers all season long...were better off with him not shooting at all like last night...

did you relly missed him shooting 3pts last night ?

answer honestly bro....

remember what that young stat master Shane Battier said -analytics made him worse on offense...

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,915 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

King's Gambit--I like you.  Anyone with the courage and conviction to believe in their own worldview as strongly as you has my respect.

I'm not writing this to you, King--you're all set--I am writing this to anyone else who may come across this thread.  Ariza's two months of below average 3 pt. shooting were during the injury plagued months of November/December and he was playing nearly 40 minutes a night.  Amazingly, when his minutes dropped as players got healthy his 3pt% went back up.

The Rockets are 6-5 when Ariza shoots 4 or less 3 pt. attempts.  Conversely, we are 19-6 when he shoots 8+ 3 pt. attempts per game.  But lets not allow facts to get in the way of the truth.  We were 20-9 when Ariza shot below 33% on threes.  Clearly, a team killer.

Saying Ariza should not shoot is the kind of wisdom most of us simply cannot understand--it takes a man with special vision to see past the illusions and know the ultimate truth: every shot Ariza takes is a shot D-Mo could have taken.

I also love King's credo of, "he should always stay away from shooting if he's not hot that night".  The ability to see into the future and know which shots will fall and which ones won't trumps analytics all day long.  I am looking forward to Morey introducing us to the newest member of the Rockets' coaching staff:

Gary-Spivey-Psychic-Medium-Healer1.jpg

He was always destined to work in basketball--which explains the shape of his hair.  Players will come to him before each game, touch the 'fro, and Gary will tell them whether tonight is a shooting night or not.  Pure genius.  He will also relay messages from childhood pets who have passed away--which is nice.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure Shane Battier never said that--can we get a link to that?

#5 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 518 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

Here's the thing.. Know that when Ariza is taking a lot of shots, it is ONLY  the result of one thing. It means that there is good ball movement, mismatches are happening elsewhere and that it is an OPEN shot. I personally don't care how many he shoots if it is in this vain. If he's stuck at the end of the shot clock trying to create his own basket, then it's a whole different story.

Anybody care to run a chart on this? It would be interesting to see how our ball distribution acumen in a particular game determines how much Trevor shoots.

#6 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:15 PM

Here's the thing.. Know that when Ariza is taking a lot of shots, it is ONLY  the result of one thing. It means that there is good ball movement, mismatches are happening elsewhere and that it is an OPEN shot. I personally don't care how many he shoots if it is in this vain. If he's stuck at the end of the shot clock trying to create his own basket, then it's a whole different story.

Anybody care to run a chart on this? It would be interesting to see how our ball distribution acumen in a particular game determines how much Trevor shoots.

did you really missed his shooting last night? i mean really ? I didnt... :D

it was an experiment and it failed and failed badly... its ok to fail thats how you learn

ariza himself was uncomfortable chucking those 3s after first cuople of games of sucking....but coaching insisted he keeps chucking them because perhaps that was just a slump....alas it wasnt justa a slump..... this reminds me of shane battier saying 'analytics' made him worse on offense cause he become too self-conscious always thinking what is an efficient shot

rest in peace ariza chucking you are the worst shot in basketball regardless of percentages....open or not open just play superior defense... :D

Edited by King's Gambit Accepted, 02 March 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#7 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 94 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:07 AM

Just here to comment on that beautiful white fro.

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,915 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:30 AM

did you really missed his shooting last night? i mean really ? I didnt... :D

it was an experiment and it failed and failed badly... its ok to fail thats how you learn

ariza himself was uncomfortable chucking those 3s after first cuople of games of sucking....but coaching insisted he keeps chucking them because perhaps that was just a slump....alas it wasnt justa a slump..... this reminds me of shane battier saying 'analytics' made him worse on offense cause he become too self-conscious always thinking what is an efficient shot

rest in peace ariza chucking you are the worst shot in basketball regardless of percentages....open or not open just play superior defense... :D

Since you couldn't be bothered to provide a source for your Battier quote I did.  First, here is what he actually said.

Battier explained that while the numbers, such as knowing Carmelo Anthony’s tendency to go right vs. left, helped him improve as a defender, it challenged him as an offensive player.

“I became very conscious of what was good and what was bad,” Battier said. “I lost all of my creativity. I made one non-paint, two-point jumper” in 2012." LINK

That quote comes from the 2015 Sloan Analytics Conference.

He never actually says it made him worse--that is your interpretation.  He said it robbed him of his creativity.  I am guessing the remark was half in jest and is somewhat irrelevant.  As a role player his job was not to be creative.  It was to be efficient--which he was.

I can't bring myself to say more about your view on Ariza.

107763-truly-you-have-a-dizzying-inte-qz

#9 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 518 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

Dang!   :lol:

Any part of our rotation must be trusted to make the plays that come their way. I trust them. If Ariza is open for 3 he most definitely should take it. OPEN is the key word there. If he's not open and there's time on the shot clock, he shouldn't. He's not the optimum shot creator, so I don't like it when he is forced to create by virtue of an old clock, but normally I don't have any problem with his shot selection. Every player in this system must have the confidence to fill their roles completely, and if it's a wing, he must shoot if he is open.

#10 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 518 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Even after 1-7 from 3 last night, I'm still cool with him taking those shots.. he was open.

#11 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 52 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

Even after 1-7 from 3 last night, I'm still cool with him taking those shots.. he was open.

Boy i would love to play for you... so patient...i hope the patience pays off in playoffs and we win big time...

on the other hand imho 3pt shot is the worse shot in basketball even when its taken by Kyle Korver and Stef Curry let alone Ariza...

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 3,915 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

tumblr_inline_n2hzj9x9IJ1snily5.gif

#13 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 52 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

had ariza not taken these shots we easily win....easily...ariza shooting is a momentum killer... its not just about percentages... you give your opponents wings to fly and cut your own wings...MOMENTUM...

#14 Willk

Willk

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 260 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

had ariza not taken these shots we easily win....easily...ariza shooting is a momentum killer... its not just about percentages... you give your opponents wings to fly and cut your own wings...MOMENTUM...

Byron Scott is that you?

#15 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 378 posts
                        • LocationHouston

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:15 PM

Boy i would love to play for you... so patient...i hope the patience pays off in playoffs and we win big time...

on the other hand imho 3pt shot is the worse shot in basketball even when its taken by Kyle Korver and Stef Curry let alone Ariza...

you do realize kyle korver shooting (roughly) 50 (actually 49.6) percent from deep means he's converting points at the rate of 75 % for 2s (including such things as layups/dunks/etc.).

Deandre Jordan leads the league at 72.3 percent on 2s. (71.7% overall)

so 49.6 X 1.5= 74.4 percent (equivalent percent on 2s for korver)

Thus....a kyle korver 3 is worth more than even the MOST efficent shot maker inside in the NBA.

That said...korver is an extreme case and for our team (outside of harden/terry corner threes who shoot 50% in the corners) and i would take a inside play over them IF OPEN. But to say 3s are worst shots in the game for every player is just misinformed.

Edited by Losthief, 04 March 2015 - 07:16 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#16 FEntropy

FEntropy

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 9 posts
                        • LocationReno, NV

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

It s a shame that this forum has turned into a spot to refute the crazies.

If threes are the worst shot in the game then Morey is obviously the worst GM. That would make McHale the worst coach. OH MY GOD! How is a team being ran by idiots third in the west without their second best player for a good chunk of the year?

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 3,915 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

It s a shame that this forum has turned into a spot to refute the crazies.

If threes are the worst shot in the game then Morey is obviously the worst GM. That would make McHale the worst coach. OH MY GOD! How is a team being ran by idiots third in the west without their second best player for a good chunk of the year?

This forum has not turned into a spot to refute crazies.  I invite everyone to recognize a troll when they see one.  If anyone chooses to reply to them it is their own choice, but trust that the vast majority here are aware.  By the way, I would normally remind you that calling people names like "crazies" is not up to standard.  Given the circumstance we'll let it slide, but let's try to remember we don't do name-calling--even when warranted.

#18 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 100 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:59 AM

"Under The Bridge"

Sometimes I feel
                          Like I don't have a partner
                          Sometimes I feel
                          Like my only friend
                          Is the city I live in
                          The city of angels
                          Lonely as I am
                          Together we cry

I drive on her streets
                          'Cause she's my companion
                          I walk through her hills
                          'Cause she knows who I am
                          She sees my good deeds
                          And she kisses me windy
                          I never worry
                          Now that is a lie

[2x]
                          I don't ever want to feel
                          Like I did that day
                          Take me to the place I love
                          Take me all the way

It's hard to believe
                          That there's nobody out there
                          It's hard to believe
                          That I'm all alone
                          At least I have her love
                          The city she loves me
                          Lonely as I am
                          Together we cry

[2x]
                          I don't ever want to feel
                          Like I did that day
                          Take me to the place I love
                          Take me all the way

Under the bridge downtown
                          Is where I drew some blood
                          I could not get enough
                          Forgot about my love
                          I gave my life away

#19 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 94 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:49 AM

^tabs bro?

#20 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPip
                            • 518 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

Ok, in the past four games we've seen Trevor start to take the long 2 more often here's how he fared.

Hawks: 1/2

Grizz: 3/3

Pistons: 1/1

Nugs: 2/3

(7/9)

On 3's

Hawks: 1/6

Grizz: 0/4

Pistons: 0/3

Nugs: 3/6

(4/19)

This was from just glancing at the shot charts. Upon further inspection, Maybe King's Gambit is on to something in the case of Ariza? Should he be given the long-2 green light?

Personally I think that any open shots that come Ariza's way should be taken and considered lagniappe. There's a good possibility too that the pressure to fit within the system's constraints forces Ariza to take a step back and therefore out of rhythm, forcing a shot that would have otherwise been natural. The long 2's he took had good form and were in rhythm off a dribble or two if I remember correctly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users