Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (28 February 2015 - 06:31 AM) gutty win by the good guys tonight, big week coming up needed this! The Basketball Jones!
@  jorgeaam : (28 February 2015 - 03:53 AM) T Jones is a beast
@  Dan G : (28 February 2015 - 03:45 AM) Indeed and we got to 40 wins before 20 losses so Phil Jackson would be pleased.
@  cointurtlemoose : (28 February 2015 - 03:36 AM) TJOOOONNNEEESSSSSSS
@  thejohnnygold : (27 February 2015 - 04:31 PM) @losthief--I know exactly what it is--my ex-wife is English. How about we just don't cuss in the shoutbox, on the front page of an ESPN affiliated site, when we know it's against the rules? It's in the terms of use and it's not a game. If you need to cuss in your posts every other Rockets' forum allows that and all sorts of other behavior--go there to get it out of your system. The editing I do is a courtesy--the reality is warnings and bans are prescribed for violations. Sorry for the harshness, but I want the point to be clear for everyone.

Also, if you don't think UK English is a different language go over there and spend some time talking to folks--and not the posh ones with the stiff upper lips.
@  Losthief : (27 February 2015 - 01:26 AM) to be clear what i used jg was an english word...but i get you, didn't mean it as a curse word...thats urban slangs fault, its a middle english word.
@  cointurtlemoose : (26 February 2015 - 09:37 PM) "James Harden didn't practice today. Coach Kevin McHale told reporters Harden's right ankle was swollen and sore. He got treatment." - via Calvin Watkins
@  YaoMan : (26 February 2015 - 08:08 PM) @ jorgearm, Prigioni played well in his time on the floor. He could prove very helpful for the stretch run
@  YaoMan : (26 February 2015 - 08:07 PM) @ Incubus, give it time. KJ may see some time later but he's too fresh and needs practice with the team and I am still under the impression that this is a trade asset as well
@  YaoMan : (26 February 2015 - 08:06 PM) Does anyone know the condition of the Harden's ankle?
@  Incubus2803 : (26 February 2015 - 06:57 PM) Kj McDaniels was never going to play for this team. Morey saw someone that was shining (presumably) in his defensive metrics, with athleticism bubbling out of him, and trusted that we could teach him to shoot. Remember the part about Smoove not leaving the gym till he sank 200 3s? Yea...
@  thejohnnygold : (26 February 2015 - 05:36 PM) Cursing in another language is still cursing. Sorry. By the way, this is not a game--let's not start that, please.
@  Losthief : (26 February 2015 - 06:08 AM) i kno...my heart can't take the *looks thru thesaurus* agony and the ecstasy of it all (does that work jg?)
@  cointurtlemoose : (26 February 2015 - 03:26 AM) Harden's gotta stop scaring me by having these close calls......
@  jorgeaam : (26 February 2015 - 03:09 AM) I'm still wondering where KJ McDaniels is at
@  jorgeaam : (26 February 2015 - 03:03 AM) Well, it seems Prigioni actually enjoys playing with a real team for a change.
@  jorgeaam : (26 February 2015 - 03:02 AM) Same question I get when I see Tyson Chandler and Dallas
@  Sir Thursday : (26 February 2015 - 02:19 AM) So the question is: why don't the Clippers just throw an alley-oop to Jordan every time? The Rockets only seem to be able to stop it about one time in three...
@  Cooper : (26 February 2015 - 01:58 AM) crawford going off and harden doing nothing. Surprised they're still in the game
@  jorgeaam : (26 February 2015 - 01:43 AM) T Jones hustling

Photo

Houston Rockets 102, Brooklyn Nets 98: 40 before 20

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:01 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 102, Brooklyn Nets 98: 40 before 20
    By: Paul McGuire

I have made it clear in past recaps and roundtables that I have real issues with certain aspects of this Rockets squad – their three-point shooting is not strong enough and they do not have enough size without Howard among other concerns. Even though Houston has the rarest and most important part of a championship team, a true MVP candidate, their flaws will likely prevent them from winning the championship this year. Nevertheless, I remain irritated that the Rockets continue to be overlooked as a championship team for reasons beyond said flaws. Even the Spurs, a team that has never looked this bad in the Duncan era, are given more credibility. The reason seems to be nothing more than a shallow declaration of how the Rockets are soft and Harden does not have “it” – just like Dirk did not have “it” before 2011 and LeBron before 2012.

Well, maybe winning 40 games before losing 20, Phil Jackson’s mark on what makes a contender, will change the tone. Only the Hawks, Warriors, and Grizzlies have accomplished the same, while Portland could at the time of this writing. And if that was not good enough, the Rockets did not have to ask Harden to shoulder everything tonight. The Beard was not the scoring machine that he usually is due to his sprained ankle, but Houston still prevailed over an inferior Brooklyn with a true team effort.

But even though the Rockets won, the Brooklyn Nets led for the vast majority of the game. The Rockets started off slow and fell behind by double digits early in the first quarter, but the Rockets bench erased that lead by the 3:30 mark of the next quarter. But whenever the Rockets grabbed a small lead and seemed poised to make a run, their offense sputtered. Harden was relentlessly double-teamed for the entire game, and so the Rockets struggled to find other scorers for much of the night.

Trevor Ariza and Patrick Beverley stepped in to fill the offense, a welcome answer as they returned to playing at a level resembling NBA basketball. Ariza in particular was on fire from long-range for the second straight game, and finished with 20 points on 11 shots. Beverley struggled to shoot for most of the game, but he showed up when it counted most by hitting a wide open three pointer with a minute left to complete a late 12-4 Rockets run that tied the game. Both of them did struggle to guard Brooklyn’s wing lineup – Joe Johnson and Alan Anderson are big swingmen who repeatedly outbigged Ariza and Beverley – but it was still a great bounce back game from the rest of the season.

And of course, there was Terrence Jones. The Nets have some good big men, and Brook Lopez toyed with the Howard-less Rockets for most of the fourth quarter, especially on the offensive glass. Motiejunas scored points with that baby hook shot of his and Josh Smith had some great blocks, but Terrence Jones ran around carrying the frontcourt and the Rockets tonight. Rahat and others have compared Jones to a young Josh Smith, but Jones comes with the advantage of not thinking he’s a three-point shooter. All nine of his made field goals came close to the basket, including a shot where he double clutched to prevent getting blocked by Lopez.

And thanks to Jones, Joey Dorsey only played 2 minutes tonight after not playing at all against the Clippers. The Rockets rotation is readjusting itself in the aftermath of the trade deadline, with Prigioni finally getting rotation minutes at the point guard spot. K.J. McDaniels may have been the more visible acquisition from last week, but Pablo Prigioni is here to fill a very big hole in Houston’s passing.

P.S. Hi, Smith. You had your period when you shot 3’s well. That was pretty cool. Now don’t do it again. Don’t take 5 three-pointers in a game. You were doing well enough when you played inside the rim, and maybe you should continue to do that.

Tonight was not a pretty victory, and it was a game in which the Brooklyn Nets led for most of the time. But the Houston Rockets accomplished the bare minimum and hit the right shots to achieve victory over the Nets, thanks largely to Ariza and Jones. And now they sit with the fourth-best record in the NBA. Harden may be the rock on which everything rests – but it will be nice to see if people pay attention to the Rockets and not just him.

#2 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

• Members
    • Pip
    • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

thnx for an interestin read

New post: Houston Rockets 102, Brooklyn Nets 98: 40 before 20
      By: Paul McGuire

The Beard was not the scoring machine that he usually is due to his sprained ankle.

btw Is this really so?

was this due to sprained ankle or due to other reasons ...he had a lot of games not scoring much without his ankle being sprained...

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 3,888 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

So, the pot calls the kettle black....taking umbrage with other media members' sour and dour view of the team is, well, appropriate since at least it makes for consistency.  By the way, James Harden was 0-4 from deep.  Let's hope he never shoots from there again.  Can you imagine a player who is averaging 35% (the league average) in his role with the Rockets thinking he is a 3 pt. shooter--even worse, realize that Daryl Morey, Kevin McHale, and James Harden all condone and approve of this.  The horror!!!!  :o 

The Rockets lost the 1st quarter by 11 points, but proceeded to win the next 3 by a margin of 7, 5, and then 3.  When viewing the game in this manner, it is not the calamity some might see it as.  I see resilience and the necessary effort to compete.  I see a team that won 3-1 in 4 mini games and netted that all important W in the real win column.

But hey, let's all remember what's important--apparently we aren't winning a championship this year--but no one else is allowed to say that.  :blink:

#4 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,246 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

thnx for an interestin read

btw Is this really so?

was this due to sprained ankle or due to other reasons ...he had a lot of games not scoring much without his ankle being sprained...

Yes the leagues leading scorer isn't scoring much.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,888 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

Yes the leagues leading scorer isn't scoring much.

I know you are being sarcastic, but for the sake of actual numbers here is what I see.

James has scored less than 20 points 12 times this season.

In those games he has averaged 7.2 assists/game.

In those games he has shot 16% from three point range.

In those games we have gone 6-6.

Those games tend to come against strong defensive teams: GS, LAC (2x), MEM, OKC, ATL, PHO, and NOP.

It's not a big deal.  Really, it seems to be a matter of poor three point shooting more than anything else.  That happens, as evidenced by last night's 0-4 against Brooklyn.

#6 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 86 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

- Prigioni navigated like 5 or 6 PNRs in a row, perfectly, in the second quarter (not to mention that behind-the-back in the fourth). That was quite fun to watch, and very comforting to see someone other than Harden run the offense with consistent success. And when Prigioni's 3pt shooting eventually picks up and matches his season/career numbers? Shoot. I'm all in on the Prigioni wagon. Can I be driver of the wagon?

- The Smith and Jones duo are surprising me in their ability to protect the rim. They're racking up blocks, sure, but they're also changing shots. The only thing I'd like for them to do more is be disciplined about boxing out (noticed it ever since Jones has been back). Even if Lopez wasn't getting the OR, he wasn't being boxed out, and was able to cause a tip out for a Nets OR. But anyways, the good outweighs the bad with the Smith/Jones tandem.

- So good to see Ar333za back.

- Smith's threes haven't bothered me for a while, because they've merely been part of the Rockets greater system: catching a kick-out, shooting an open three in rhythm, no hesitation. I'm totally fine with Smith taking those 3s (that's probably part of what helped his percentage lately). But last night there were several 3s for him that did not fit that description. They were either off-the-dribble or after 4 seconds of holding the ball, and/or early in the shot clock, and/or contested. Anyways, 4 or 5 threes from him in a game doesn't inherently bother me, just those types of threes do.

- Accepting fellow riders on the Priogioni wagon.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 3,888 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

I call "shotgun" on the Prigioni wagon.

#8 FEntropy

FEntropy

• Members
          • Pip
          • 8 posts
          • LocationReno, NV

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:35 PM

I think what is missed with the threes by Smith is that all of them were wide open. They weren't forced. He didn't create them, they were created for him. I WANT him to shoot those every time. I would assume the coaching staff would too. The Detroit Josh Smith would have forced the shots. And the other thing I've noticed is his energy on defense. He might have been missing his shots tonight, but he was still an overall net positive. 

And is it just me, or does DMO not understand how tall he is? He usually plays smart defense, but it seems like he allows taller players to out hustle him at times. There was one play on last night ( I think it was against Lopez, can't remember for sure) where he planted and kept the opposing player out of the paint and forced a difficult shot. This was immediately followed by, what I thought, was a bad call for a loose ball foul. Watching that play though I couldn't help but wonder why he doesn't seem to plant more often. Is this just my perception?

#9 FEntropy

FEntropy

• Members
          • Pip
          • 8 posts
          • LocationReno, NV

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

- Prigioni navigated like 5 or 6 PNRs in a row, perfectly, in the second quarter (not to mention that behind-the-back in the fourth). That was quite fun to watch, and very comforting to see someone other than Harden run the offense with consistent success. And when Prigioni's 3pt shooting eventually picks up and matches his season/career numbers? Shoot. I'm all in on the Prigioni wagon. Can I be driver of the wagon?

- The Smith and Jones duo are surprising me in their ability to protect the rim. They're racking up blocks, sure, but they're also changing shots. The only thing I'd like for them to do more is be disciplined about boxing out (noticed it ever since Jones has been back). Even if Lopez wasn't getting the OR, he wasn't being boxed out, and was able to cause a tip out for a Nets OR. But anyways, the good outweighs the bad with the Smith/Jones tandem.

- So good to see Ar333za back.

- Smith's threes haven't bothered me for a while, because they've merely been part of the Rockets greater system: catching a kick-out, shooting an open three in rhythm, no hesitation. I'm totally fine with Smith taking those 3s (that's probably part of what helped his percentage lately). But last night there were several 3s for him that did not fit that description. They were either off-the-dribble or after 4 seconds of holding the ball, and/or early in the shot clock, and/or contested. Anyways, 4 or 5 threes from him in a game doesn't inherently bother me, just those types of threes do.

- Accepting fellow riders on the Priogioni wagon.

Couldn't agree more watching Prigioni. That was a thing of beauty!

#10 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,246 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

I know you are being sarcastic, but for the sake of actual numbers here is what I see.

James has scored less than 20 points 12 times this season.

In those games he has averaged 7.2 assists/game.

In those games he has shot 16% from three point range.

In those games we have gone 6-6.

Those games tend to come against strong defensive teams: GS, LAC (2x), MEM, OKC, ATL, PHO, and NOP.

It's not a big deal. Really, it seems to be a matter of poor three point shooting more than anything else. That happens, as evidenced by last night's 0-4 against Brooklyn.

The clips, Memphis and gs do seem to give him real trouble with combo of players/scheme. Sometimes against okc he'll try to out hero kd and Westbrook by himself which will hurt percentages. The rest are likely flukes like you said.

#11 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 352 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

Well, as usual I agree with JG. We can't be mad at Josh Smith shooting 0-5 from 3 this game when we were happy when he shot 4-5 in past games. We shall take the good with the bad, and not jump ship whenever someone has an off night. Facts are we are still holding up without one of our two main stars. We have one of the best bench crews in the league, if not the best. And we're in the 3rd seed in one of the thoughest years the west has seen.  The future is bright for this team, and we can't evaluate them on a bad shooting night, specially when they still found a way to get a W.

#12 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 352 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

Just to add to what I just said.

Even with the 0-5 night, Smith shot 38% from 3 in February on 5 attempts per game. Trevor Ariza, considered our best spot up shooter, shot 40% this month from there after shooting less than 35% on all previous months. Yet, we are still OK with him shooting 7 3's per game, aren't we? It's just that Smith's reputation makes us think he shouldn't be shooting 3's as much as anyone else.

#13 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,565 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:42 PM

Smith has a reputation that negatively affects him. Even for rockets fans.

Why so Serious? :D

#14 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 86 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

Yeah but not all 3PA are created equal. Generally, he's been taking kick-out, open, in rhythm threes. Which is why his percentages were up. I love that, and 5 of those type of attempts per game should not warrant any criticism. Last night, I remember 3 or 4 being contested, and/or off the dribble, and/or after holding the ball for a couple seconds.

I mean, it's not really a big deal at all, as he's been making better and better shot selection in general lately. Just wanted to clarify the observation of the OP and myself.

#15 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 86 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

I call "shotgun" on the Prigioni wagon.

Woooooooooooooooooooo

#16 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 309 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:07 PM

In the Rockets offense, every player other than Howard MUST take the open three. In order to maintain driving lanes the duration of the 2.9 defense must be kept to a minimum. The spacing is also critical. The closer an opponent has to be to close out on a Rocket three point shot the further the defender will be away from the paint. That is why D-Mo's surge in three point efficiency is so critical. Keep that big defender away from the rim and let Harden work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users