Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  txtdo1411 : (10 June 2015 - 09:29 PM) They certainly stumbled onto an elite defensive lineup. They don't have Love or Irving's scoring ability, but they are all great defenders. Honestly they might have stumbled upon the secret to beating GS all along. You aren't going to outgun them, but if you can slow it down and muck it up just enough, you have a shot. I think w/ Love and Irving the Cavs could very well be in a worse spot than they are now.
@  jorgeaam : (10 June 2015 - 03:51 AM) Amazing what LeBron is doing, Dellavedova, Thompson,Shumpert and Mozgov is definitely not the kind of roster you'd expect in the finals
@  jorgeaam : (10 June 2015 - 03:50 AM) We all are, Mario
@  Mario Peña : (10 June 2015 - 03:38 AM) I am looking forward to the Warriors losing so much.
@  thenit : (10 June 2015 - 02:30 AM) not a knock on curry or harden but LBJ is at a different lvl. Look at what he is doing against GS with that roster
@  redfaithful : (08 June 2015 - 11:21 AM) Basketball axiom: a David Blatt team at the season's end will not let anyone score easily
@  SadLakerFan : (01 June 2015 - 04:26 AM) I want to go to Game 2 of the Finals, but prices are really high. There are 2700 tickets (out of a capacity of 19,500) up for resale - that's a ton. Hoping prices drop a bit.
@  kidnextdoor : (01 June 2015 - 02:58 AM) I read somewhere if Atlanta get a max free agent they will have to let Millsap go.
@  Losthief : (31 May 2015 - 03:53 PM) Paul millsap is a free agent, i'd want him more than Love, but would he leave atlanta?
@  JY86er : (30 May 2015 - 12:37 AM) I wouldnt want him. Not after a Jeff Spicoli looking sorry guy was able to pull his arm outta socket.
@  majik19 : (28 May 2015 - 08:05 PM) Offensively, I have no doubt that Love would be a great fit. Defensively... not so much. I think it's more important to upgrade the 1 than the 4 this offseason, assuming D-mo is healthy.
@  Mario Peña : (28 May 2015 - 07:08 PM) I can't make it but I thought I'd post that for the Houston guys.
@  Mario Peña : (28 May 2015 - 07:07 PM) From the Red Rowdies: Do you want to greet the Rockets today as they arrive back? Go to 8402 Nelms Houston, TX 77061 around 3:30 ‪#‎Support‬
@  Cooper : (28 May 2015 - 06:15 PM) would have to strip the roster to get him, let him lose in la with 40 yr old kobe and crazy rondo.
@  thenit : (28 May 2015 - 06:08 PM) Love interested in Lakers, Rockets and Celtics. Anyone here who wants him ?
@  majik19 : (28 May 2015 - 04:25 PM) It was a great year, and I think Harden will look at Game 2 and Game 5 and strive to be better. If he had gone out on a high note (say Game 4), there would probably be less motivation. But not with a game like that.
@  SadLakerFan : (28 May 2015 - 10:01 AM) Great season. Harden looked perplexed out there, almost like Lebron in 2010. He'll figure things out.
@  Johnny Rocket : (28 May 2015 - 08:31 AM) Thanks, Rox--great season!
@  RudyT1995 : (28 May 2015 - 05:43 AM) Wonder what he'll do this year to make Cuban look like a fool.
@  RudyT1995 : (28 May 2015 - 05:43 AM) Interesting off-season coming up. Time for Morey to work his magic.

Photo

Houston Rockets 110, Los Angeles Clippers 105: Avenged

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:27 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 110, Los Angeles Clippers 105: Avenged
    By: Forrest Walker

James Harden might not have dropped a monster game on the Clippers, but he got something even more important: the second win against his hometown Clippers in his tenure with the Rockets. Even as the clock ran down and the Rockets led by double digits, Los Angeles refused to submit, coming back to within four as Houston escaped with a precious victory. The turning point of a close game was a breakout run by the Rockets bench in the fourth quarter, creating a gap that was just too wide for the Clippers to overcome. Even when Harden is struggling, even when Dwight Howard is missing, even against a team that seems to have their number, the Rockets were able to put it together for a national audience.

As heartening as this victory was for the team, there are still causes for concern. The Clippers were also without Blake Griffin, and the Rockets still seem to have no answer for J.J. Redick. Houston was lucky that he only did 15 points worth of damage given that he shot 50% from deep (and overall). Chris Paul will always get his, and DeAndre Jordan's demolition should be curtailed somewhat when Dwight Howard returns, but Redick is a savvy player without the ball and a ruthless shooter when he does touch it. It's good to know that the Rockets are physically able to beat the Clippers, but they still would be a tough out in the post season. And, of course, they're currently slated to be Houston's first round opponent, because the Western Conference can never stop being ridiculous.

Corey Brewer and Josh Smith continued their reign of running and jumping, causing chaos and generally disrupting the Clippers' game plans whenever they were on the court. Smith shot only 2-9, but his 9 points (barely) justified that many shots and his 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 blocks were, as always, the more important part of his line. Seemingly freed from the onus to be a primary scorer, Josh Smith has become the bigger, tougher Leatherman style tool next to the sleek Swiss army knife that is Corey Brewer. Brewer scored 20 points on 17 shots, had 6 boards, 2 assists, a block and a steal to go along with them, and pushed the pace at every opportunity. The Clippers don't mind pushing it at all, but Brewer was key to the backbreaking run by attacking before the defense was set. If he'd been on the Rockets all season long, he might be a serious contender for sixth man of the year.

Pablo Prigioni also played a few minutes due to a tightened rotation (which featured 8 players and a ghostly whiff of Joey Dorsey at 0 minutes with 0 stats in the box score), and his 16 minutes were critical to the team. He may only have shot 1-4, but the one he hit was a three, and a couple others were layups he somehow missed. He only notched 3 assists, but his 2 steals were a great boon, and his levelheaded play was important in that crucial bench run. He's likely to get more minutes as he proves to head coach Kevin McHale just how cagey of a veteran he is.

Harden ended with a solid night after starting 0-6, and earned himself more than a few MVP chants by closing strong. 4-13 shooting isn't exactly impressive, but with free throws his score ballooned to 21. His 10 assists showed that he moved into a facilitation mode most of the night, something that's been increasingly important for a spotty Houston offense. The scariest Harden moment was when he jumped off of a turned ankle and rolled on the ground seemingly in agony. Whether due to ankles of steel or a penchant for embellishing injury, he got up, walked it off, and finished out the game. He may need a couple days to rest his ankle once he stops walking on it, but he was able to bury a nasty dagger late in the game despite clear discomfort. The beard does not go quietly.

Jason Terry was the lone member of the more-shots-than-points club in the starters, ending with 8 points on 10 shots. His three pointers have been iffy lately, but this is the nature of the three point shot. Terrence Jones was aggressive and came away with 14 points and 8 rebounds. His partner in the paint, Donatas Motiejunas, was stroking it from three point range (3-4) and came away with 18 points, 9 rebounds and some very good defensive plays. Trevor Ariza had a Trevor Ariza night, shooting 5-9 behind the arc, scoring 17, and providing 4 each of rebounds and assists. This was the kind of game the other starters needed to have, and hopefully a preview of how things will go in May.

A lot of things had to go right for the Rockets to beat the Clippers, but they happened, the Rockets won, and James Harden has some scant revenge. While questions about Dwight Howard's return and longevity loom over the team, for now James Harden and an elite bench are enough to cruise against teams like the Clippers. The Rockets don't want to lose that third seed, and tonight they distanced themselves a little more from the pack. They avenged their last loss to Los Angeles, and that's good enough for today.

#2 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,178 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

The one thing this game reaffirmed for me is that (despite the fact they won) the Rockets REALLY do not want to play the Clippers in the playoffs. Defending the Paul-Jordan pick-and-roll is going to be an absolute nightmare, and Redick will make Harden work really hard by running him through as many screens and cuts as he can. Add a healthy Griffin for them (much more realistic at this point than a healthy Howard for us) and it's not going to be a fun team to play against at all. There are a lot of difficult teams in the West, but we know the Clippers have given the Rockets fits for the last few years and the surgical precision of Paul is not something you want on the other side of the court come playoff time if you can help it...

ST

#3 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 52 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

Is this a first game in a while that we didnt go through that infamous cuople-of-minutes scoring drought?

#4 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 150 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

^You're right, our offense was pretty consistently productive, no real lulls at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th.

It's just funny to look back at the beginning of the season, and how to my eyes (and a lot of others) our bench was the biggest question mark about this team. But now, I think we clearly have a top 10 bench, and on nights like last night, we're pushing top 5. And Jones, hopefully, should continue to acclimate - the Smith project should keep improving - and we've even got untapped ways to utilize McDaniels and Papa. So our bench, turns out, might end up being in the convo for league's best by the postseason. (hopeful thinking)

#5 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 168 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

^You're right, our offense was pretty consistently productive, no real lulls at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th.

It's just funny to look back at the beginning of the season, and how to my eyes (and a lot of others) our bench was the biggest question mark about this team. But now, I think we clearly have a top 10 bench, and on nights like last night, we're pushing top 5. And Jones, hopefully, should continue to acclimate - the Smith project should keep improving - and we've even got untapped ways to utilize McDaniels and Papa. So our bench, turns out, might end up being in the convo for league's best by the postseason. (hopeful thinking)

It's perhaps top 3 right now.  Brewer, Smith and Prigioni were all starters in the not so distant past. When DH (crossing fingers) is back, you add TJ back into that group and now you have a full package demolition bench!

#6 FEntropy

FEntropy

• Members
          • Pip
          • 10 posts
          • LocationReno, NV

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

I've lurked on this blog for a considerable time.  I feel like I know all of you... (sufficiently creepy? Good)

Anyways, I honestly can't think of a bench with more potential than this one. There are multiple teams with one killer off the bench. Like the Clippers with Crawford, Smith at Cleveland, etc. But how many teams can sub in 5 players to replace the entire starting 5 and still keep pace? Not even just keep pace,but sometimes pull ahead? I think the bench on this team would be good enough for a playoff spot in the east. 

#7 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 168 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

I've lurked on this blog for a considerable time.  I feel like I know all of you... (sufficiently creepy? Good)

Anyways, I honestly can't think of a bench with more potential than this one. There are multiple teams with one killer off the bench. Like the Clippers with Crawford, Smith at Cleveland, etc. But how many teams can sub in 5 players to replace the entire starting 5 and still keep pace? Not even just keep pace,but sometimes pull ahead? I think the bench on this team would be good enough for a playoff spot in the east. 

Would that be the equivalent of like a Facebook stalker (where someone reads all the posts, goes through all the pictures but never leaves a single comment or like)? Welcome to the forum!

Yes the bench is quite potent.  If Bev gets back, the bench from 1-5 would be Prigioni, Terry, Brewer, Smith and TJ.  All who have been starters in their careers...quite formidable indeed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users