Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (16 March 2015 - 07:01 AM) I wouldn't be so optimistic about that until I see an encore after Griffin plays more games. He had been out for 5 weeks.
@  JY86er : (16 March 2015 - 06:07 AM) Finally have an answer for Griffin. T-Jones!
@  TTrainW : (16 March 2015 - 02:50 AM) And with that the Spurs are fifth in the West
@  Mario Peña : (15 March 2015 - 10:31 PM) Agreed, Ariza looked good today.
@  majik19 : (15 March 2015 - 10:21 PM) what a pair of defensive plays by Ariza
@  redfaithful : (15 March 2015 - 10:19 PM) Does this win count in the playoff?
@  redfaithful : (15 March 2015 - 10:18 PM) Wow
@  Mario Peña : (15 March 2015 - 10:16 PM) Should they foul Jordan?
@  TTrainW : (12 March 2015 - 03:46 AM) Can't really stop Aldridge, but looks like they can't contain Josh Smith with the defence they're playing on him
@  marbony81110 : (12 March 2015 - 03:29 AM) D.Mo is a horrible rebounder. Every game I hope to see him box out and actually grab the board. Every game he disappoints.
@  Mario Peña : (11 March 2015 - 02:44 AM) Dallas getting destroyed by the Cavs, that's pretty good entertainment for a Rockets night off.
@  majik19 : (10 March 2015 - 06:54 PM) There is no easy path, but I think we definitely want to avoid the winner of the OKC/GS series, which is really the only "locked" seeding right now, unless Dallas really collapses.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 March 2015 - 04:34 PM) Agreed, and I think most people here have agreed with that all season. There is no easy path, only ones that give us slightly better on court match-ups.
@  YaoMan : (09 March 2015 - 04:06 PM) @JG I can appreciate that line of thinking about avoiding the Spurs especially now that they are getting it together at the right time too. I get the feeling it doesn't matter who the Rox face. They'll need to prove themselves in the this gauntlet of the West no matter what. As they used to say, to be the best, you have to beat the best!
@  jorgeaam : (08 March 2015 - 08:35 PM) Popovich was just waiting for everyone to count the Spurs out again.
@  thejohnnygold : (08 March 2015 - 07:22 PM) Just know that Popovich is smiling ear to ear behind closed doors knowing that people, once again, are counting them out.
@  Cooper : (08 March 2015 - 06:19 PM) Bulls without butler and rose don't have a lot going for them.
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 March 2015 - 06:08 PM) Yeah I was a doubter, but just watched that first half of SAS-CHI, and the Spurs are looking pretty Spursy...
@  thejohnnygold : (08 March 2015 - 04:05 PM) Yaoman, I said the same thing in my post below. I was responding to a different question you asked about. I disagree with the 2 seed as that likely invites a first round visit from OKC or SA. I know many are convinced this is the year they are finally too old, but I'm not buying it. The reality is they are a great team and back-to-back WC champs. No thanks.
@  YaoMan : (08 March 2015 - 04:03 AM) On another note, Memphis and Portland both lost tonight...

Photo

LA Clippers @ Houston Rockets: feat. Law Murray of Clipper Blog

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:13 AM

New post: LA Clippers @ Houston Rockets: feat. Law Murray of Clipper Blog
    By: Mitchell Felker

Teams: Los Angeles Clippers @ Houston Rockets
    Time: 7:00 p.m. CT
    Venue: Toyota Center, Houston, TX
    Television: ESPN

Notes: Since Dwight Howard joined the Houston Rockets, the Rockets have not beaten the LA Clippers in six tries.  The primary reason?  James Harden.  Harden just can't figure out how to score against the Clips.  He's only averaged 17 PPG, shot just over 30% from the field and only about 10% of his 3's.  In several of those games, JJ Redick has really caused problems for Harden on both ends of the floor.  But Harden also struggled when Redick was out, so I'll be curious to see if it's the match-ups that have slowed Harden or if it's something scheme-wise that Doc Rivers is cooking up.

Howard has missed both games against the Clippers this season.  In his absence, DeAndre Jordan has given the Rockets fits.  He's averaged a +/- of +17.5, with 15.5 PPG and 70% FG, 16.5 rebs (5 offensive), and 14.5 FTA.  Especially in the last game, in which Blake Griffin didn't play, Jordan's length and athleticism wreaked havoc on the boards, as he kept multiple possessions going on offense.  And on defense he was downright Russell-ian, with 3 steals and 2 blocks, while keeping Harden and the Rockets out of the paint more than usual.

Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 2.44.53 AM

Injuries: Patrick Beverley is still listed as day-to-day and will be evaluated at shoot around.  Kostas Papanikolaou will miss the game with a sprained ankle.

Blake Griffin still has about a week left of rehab after surgery on his elbow and will miss the game, while Austin Rivers should be suited up for the Clips.

Insider’s View - Q&A with Law Murray of Clipper Blog. Follow Law on Twitter @LawMurrayTheNU.

MF - Grantland’s Kirk Goldsberry has an interesting new piece on defensive assignment tracking and how players affect shot attempts and shooting percentages from the 13-14 season. Chris Paul is kind of the star of the article (we won’t discuss James Harden), but there seems to be a bit of an overall backlash against Paul this season, mostly since the referee comments. Has there been any kind of slippage in his game, or are people just finally tired of his Napoleon act and he’s really still great?

LM - Paul is in his tenth NBA season, and he turns 30 in May. For the first time in his career, he didn't enter this season as the clear-cut best, most valuable player on his own team. The silly and tired "best point guard" discussion is more crowded than ever. And the images of Paul's shortcomings have become more glaring, whether it's the lack of team success (three postseason series wins) or his own untimely miscues (Monday night's turnover parallels Paul's Game 5 turnover against the Thunder).  The reality is, Paul has been as good this season as he usually is. He's been even more valuable due to his durability, appearing in all 57 games so far. He's not getting to the line as much (career-low free throw attempts per game) and he's not leading the league in anything for the first time in awhile. But Chris Paul hasn't changed; basketball consumers' conversations have changed.

DeAndre Jordan has really shouldered the load since Blake Griffin’s injury, but hes also an upcoming free agent. If the Clippers don’t get over the hump this year, do you think its a given he comes back next season (on a presumed max deal), or might he be the “shake up” every team makes when they can't take the next leap?

With the lack of flexibility given Los Angeles' situation, and with Jordan showing increased value with his production sans Griffin, it's not a given that Jordan will be back with the Clippers. In fact, I think he probably walks. Some team is going to blow Jordan away with a major offer, and he turns 27 in July. That's not an age where you "take one for the team". The Clippers aren't getting to the Conference Finals, and it will be interesting to see how the team would handle Jordan's next deal in that case.

With all the players bouncing around at the deadline, do you think Austin Rivers was the right move for this team, or did Doc Rivers the GM handicap Doc Rivers the coach?  

The Austin Rivers experience has netted a career-night (28 points in a blowout win vs. Sacramento Saturday night) and a big letdown (a donut in a three-point loss the very next game vs. Memphis Monday night). Rivers is in the best situation of his fleeting career. His three years have been humbling, to say the least, and without a guaranteed contract for next season, he's trying to show he belongs while being the nominal eighth guy in the rotation. Rivers has been marginally better than the guy he replaced in that spot to start the season, Jordan Farmar. But no, Doc Rivers as the primary personnel executive has not helped Rivers put a better team on the floor. There is just too much flotsam on the roster.

The West is crazy this year and I believe it really will come down to matchups in the playoffs. What is the key to the Clippers offense when the starters are sitting, and how confident are you in the Clips bench to make it through 3 rounds of the Western Conference?

When starters sit, the key to the offense for the Clippers has been Jamal Crawford, the two-time Sixth Man of the Year. Crawford's something close to a physical marvel. He turns 35 in March, yet he's pulling in a career-high usage rate off the bench. Crawford has never been known for his efficiency, and he's not shooting the three or getting to the line as well as he did a season ago. But he's leading the league in points per game off the bench while protecting the ball with a career-low turnover rate. And yes, the over-reliance on Crawford's bench production is another reason why the Clippers aren't touching the Finals in 2015.

#2 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Feed DMo the ball  every single posesion  until deandrejordan collects cuople of personal fouls then run them out of the building...

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 3,915 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

Feed DMo the ball  every single posesion  until deandrejordan collects cuople of personal fouls then run them out of the building...

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?!

Donatas-Motiejunas.jpg

Seriously though, it's not a bad idea.  I think Jordan is a smart defender and won't get baited into fouling D-Mo, but that doesn't mean he won't put the ball in the basket a few times.

As for the preview--I have missed these things!   :wub:

I hope these will become a regular feature again.  Appreciate the work you put into them, Mitchell.

Also, I love this line from Mr. Murray: "But Chris Paul hasn't changed; basketball consumers' conversations have changed."  It's dead on and captures the essence of sports, sports media, and fans these days.

Rockets win tonight solely because we are all expecting the loss  :ph34r:

#4 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 154 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

A max contract for Jordan?  For a guy who has never averaged much more than 10 points a game and whose primary offensive moves consist of dunks, put-backs and dunks on put-backs?  I know that he shoots 60+%, rebounds at a decent clip, and has the athleticism and youth to be even better, but wow.  I guess there really is a premium on big men who can stay healthy.

Edited by SadLakerFan, 25 February 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,915 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

A max contract for Jordan?  For a guy who has never averaged much more than 10 points a game and whose primary offensive moves consist of dunks, put-backs and dunks on put-backs?  I know that he shoots 60+%, rebounds at a decent clip, and has the athleticism and youth to be even better, but wow.  I guess there really is a premium on big men who can stay healthy.

Defensively elite big men, yes.  Heck, half the people on this forum would be tickled pink if Dwight Howard played the game the way Jordan does.

#6 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,247 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

Jordan is a clear max, can anchor a defense and does everything most coaches want out of their center on offense without worrying about his shot totals. There aren't many centers playing better, marc gasol, Horford, Then? Dwights a question mark, Drummond is basically a raw version of DJ. Boguts numbers are down and he's already 30. You could make a reasonable argument for Noah. 

I don't see how the Clips can afford to let him leave cause they'd have no meaningful cap space regardless.

#7 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?!

Donatas-Motiejunas.jpg

Seriously though, it's not a bad idea.  I think Jordan is a smart defender and won't get baited into fouling D-Mo, but that doesn't mean he won't put the ball in the basket a few times.

And how about starting Josh Smith at 5, then playing DMo vs clippers reserves?

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 3,915 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

And how about starting Josh Smith at 5, then playing DMo vs clippers reserves?

Not sure what you are looking for.  Both of them can move out to the three point line.  Would Jordan follow?  I think we should definitely try...

#9 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 379 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:53 AM

to be clear, Jordan is a great shot blocker/rebounder...but defense anchor he is not....my personal theory is he helps/goes for blocks too much and gets out of position leading to offense rebounds.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#10 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 52 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:16 AM

Not sure what you are looking for.  Both of them can move out to the three point line.  Would Jordan follow?  I think we should definitely try...

I was looking for  Josh hitting his 3s and taking deandre out of under the basket and dmo scoring easier in the post against others who are not so good at keeping him as deandre

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,915 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:00 PM

to be clear, Jordan is a great shot blocker/rebounder...but defense anchor he is not....my personal theory is he helps/goes for blocks too much and gets out of position leading to offense rebounds.

What makes you say that?  Every center finds themselves getting out of position due to being forced to rotate.

Every defensive metric I can find shows him in a favorable light.  Whether it is a stat based one, a team based one, whatever--they all show him to be of a very high caliber.  Further, having watched him play my eye test says that he is an excellent defensive anchor.  His team's net +/- drops 8 points when he sits.  That says a lot.

His Drtg is 100.  Dwight's Drtg from the season that shot chart was made was 100 (it's 101 this year).  I don't know--I guess we can agree to disagree.

#12 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 379 posts
              • LocationHouston

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

When i think defense anchor i think truely elite. Hibbert, Bogut, M. Gasol, guys who lead top defenses. Sadly even Howard (alone) isn't that quite anymore (health), I'm not saying Jordan's not great at defense, clearly he is. But I don't think he solves team defenses issues the way some other bigs in the league can. Just an opinion. Part of it is his teammates clearly (though paul is good at defense, and other than crawford most aren't sieves who play big minutes) but i think part is he fouls too much/plays limited minutes maybe.  I just think to be an anchor you have to at least be able to single-handily make your team a top 15 team defensively. Just an opinion of mine.

LoSTHieF

#13 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 149 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:41 AM

When i think defense anchor i think truely elite. Hibbert, Bogut, M. Gasol, guys who lead top defenses. Sadly even Howard (alone) isn't that quite anymore (health), I'm not saying Jordan's not great at defense, clearly he is. But I don't think he solves team defenses issues the way some other bigs in the league can. Just an opinion. Part of it is his teammates clearly (though paul is good at defense, and other than crawford most aren't sieves who play big minutes) but i think part is he fouls too much/plays limited minutes maybe.  I just think to be an anchor you have to at least be able to single-handily make your team a top 15 team defensively. Just an opinion of mine.

I would put Deandre in the group, obviously below the level of Gasol or Noah (which I'm sure you meant) but better than Hibbert and right about the same range as Bogut and Chandler. Deandre is also a board machine too. But an anchor needs a good ship too and the Clips defensively as whole, is not that good. CP3 and Barnes can play decent individual defense but team defense-wise, Griffin, Reddick, Crawford, Rivers, etc. are mediocre at best. Either way, Clips are not a good match up for the Rox...

#14 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 379 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:25 AM

Noah isnt' playing as well this year, i think thibs might of ruined him too his pick and roll defense just isn't at the same level (do you realize the bulls are 12th in def eff this year...i mean wow). I meant Marc Gasol of the Grizz.

Fair enough on DJ, im not saying Deandre can't be one in the right situation i suppose...i just don't think he is one yet especially LAL land. People sometimes mention him like he's bill russell or ben wallace...i just don't see it. Good yes, Great.....i dunno. Athletically though man....

for reference on hibbert/pacers: http://grantland.com...ent-of-defense/

he lost his best peremiter d guy (george) and he has a combo of d. west/scola (bad defenders/contestors) playing next to him. Indiana is number 11 in def eff.

Clippers are number 18. I really don't see how Deandre's supporting cast is really all the much better at defense than the pacers this year: http://www.cbssports.../indiana-pacers

i mean solomon hill is pretty good at d, and george hill is too, but is that really a better combo than barnes, redick, paul. West/griffen are a wash for me. To me the difference is Hibbert. (And coaching)

LoSTHieF

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 3,915 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

Hmmm, this is interesting.

I think Redick is an under-rated defender.  He's kind of like the Omer Asik of SG's.  He just plays solid, fundamental defense and does little that catches the eye.  According to 82games.com, Redick held his opponent to a 10.8 PER and this year that number is 11.6.

Jordan is not like those other guys you mentioned.  If I were to make a comparison it would be Mutumbo.  Maybe that's a stretch, but they excel in the same areas.

Jordan's opp. PER from 82games.com is 18.9.  Not great.

I guess I see it as Jordan has a profound effect on how teams play and attack the Clippers--an overall effect.  Knowing he is lurking in the lane makes anyone attacking the rim think twice.  Also, his rebounding is very good (has lead the league the last two seasons and excels in def. reb's).  He averages 33 mpg and 3.0 fouls per game so not sure about the limited minutes/too many fouls argument.  His Drtg has held consistent the last 3 years: 101, 98, and 100.  Like it or not, that is M. Gasol territory.

Individual defense in the NBA is slightly over-rated.  There are very few players who can truly alter a game and lock a guy down.  Team defense is the name of the game.  It's no coincidence that Gasol, Noah, Hibbbert, Bogut, etc. all find themselves surrounded by a strong team of defenders with a strong defensive mentality.

Look at Hibbert's Drtg for this season--is it any surprise that he posted a 97 and 98 with the likes of Hill, Stephenson, George, and West around him and then it jumped to 101 (still good) with the loss of 2 of those guys?

I have found it fascinating seeing Morey transform this team from an offensive juggernaut into a defensive one (over the course of two seasons).  Length, quickness, instinct, anticipation, strength.  Elite level steals and rebounds guys.  It's awesome and I love watching them get after it.

Maybe Jordan is over-rated.  I don't think he is, but I don't watch enough Clippers games to say definitively.

#16 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 379 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:18 PM

At the very least I think we can all agree the clips would be much much worse defensively without Jordan out there. He does alot for that team.

Sorted by pf's= 4-5 fouls games under 30 min.= 6 out of 25

0-3 fouls games under 30 min = 6 out of 33

in the 4-5 fouls games 3 wins (could be blowouts) and 3 losses (gotta be foul trouble)

in the 0-3 fouls games (unsurprisingly) 5 wins 1 loss (probable blowouts)

but the point is that is only 12 games of out 58 under the 30 min mark (and at least half of those are probable blowouts) so your most likely right about fouling's lack of effect overall stats/effect of DJ. Though for a throughbred like him 33min a game seems low in your prime.

I can see a comparison to Mutumbo absolutely. I just don't think he's quite THAT good (yet), but a poor man's Mutumbo certainly. And he's only 26 years old, and was a very raw prospect out of college. If he continues his trajectory i think he can be Mutumbo certainly. I just feel he's not there yet but again its close enough its a personal opinion.

I agree with you on reddick i think a paul/reddick combo on defense on the perimeter is pretty stout...it just makes me wonder why they are 18th in def eff, is griffen really that bad? I know he has short arms but he's so quick you think he'd be at least average. Oh, i just looked and he has slipped this year defensively so I guess that could be a big part i suppose, a rotation of griffen/big baby isn't exactly defensive stoppers at the 4.

LoSTHieF

#17 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 149 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

Noah isnt' playing as well this year, i think thibs might of ruined him too his pick and roll defense just isn't at the same level (do you realize the bulls are 12th in def eff this year...i mean wow). I meant Marc Gasol of the Grizz.

My bad, I didn't clarify it enough, I meant that I'm sure you would have included Noah (from last year) in addition to Gasol. He's having a sub par year compared to his normal standards but as a whole Noah has always been a defensive anchor for Chicago. I didn't mean that Gasol wasn't what you stated or thought of, I just threw out Noah because, last year, I though he and Gasol were head and shoulders, the two best defensive center...

#18 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 379 posts
                  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

i concur with that. I really hope noah gets right, i really started liking watching him on both ends last year.

LoSTHieF

#19 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 379 posts
                  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

bit of necro, but seemed valuable to add: http://www.basketbal...deandre-jordan/

this is from basketballinsiders, there is also a insiders only espn one on the espn page (but i don't have access...know the rights/legalities of that) so i went with this one.

this particular article is a bit harsh in my opinion as i clearly think that DJ is a good defender overall. But one of the things I found most  surprising/interesting was this paragraph:

This is what’s happening here (overrating blocks), and a particularly egregious case of it at that. The largest piece of evidence? Jordan’s own team is better defensively when he sits on the bench than when he plays. That’s right, the Clippers allow a 103.7 rating with DeAndre and a 102.3 rating when he’s off the floor.

Which is pretty hard to fathom with the likes of glen davis and spencer hawes as your backup..

Also interesting was this:

In reality, Jordan is a supremely talented guy who just isn’t all that good at the finer points of defense. His positioning is routinely awful, and he can be goaded into the air by any reasonable pump-fake as he pursues a highlight-reel swat. His rotations are mediocre at best, and he often devolves into a wild ball of confusion when Chris Paul leaves the court for brief periods (the two get almost all of their playing time together, but the Clips sink to bottom-five defensive levels during the 210 minutes Jordan has played without CP3).

That part about cp3 is really interesting to me and i think underscores cp3s defensive skills, if he's adding to team defense as much as he adds to team offense gotta include him in the mvp consideration more.

Another final note, among the rather unsurprising candidates (to me at least) for the most part listed at the end of the article he mentions kris middleton form the bucks. I haven't watched any bucks games really this year (outside of the rockets games), so this came as a shock to me, anyone seen him play? The write up made him sound really good. 

LoSTHieF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users