Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  redfaithful : (08 June 2015 - 11:21 AM) Basketball axiom: a David Blatt team at the season's end will not let anyone score easily
@  SadLakerFan : (01 June 2015 - 04:26 AM) I want to go to Game 2 of the Finals, but prices are really high. There are 2700 tickets (out of a capacity of 19,500) up for resale - that's a ton. Hoping prices drop a bit.
@  kidnextdoor : (01 June 2015 - 02:58 AM) I read somewhere if Atlanta get a max free agent they will have to let Millsap go.
@  Losthief : (31 May 2015 - 03:53 PM) Paul millsap is a free agent, i'd want him more than Love, but would he leave atlanta?
@  JY86er : (30 May 2015 - 12:37 AM) I wouldnt want him. Not after a Jeff Spicoli looking sorry guy was able to pull his arm outta socket.
@  majik19 : (28 May 2015 - 08:05 PM) Offensively, I have no doubt that Love would be a great fit. Defensively... not so much. I think it's more important to upgrade the 1 than the 4 this offseason, assuming D-mo is healthy.
@  Mario Peña : (28 May 2015 - 07:08 PM) I can't make it but I thought I'd post that for the Houston guys.
@  Mario Peña : (28 May 2015 - 07:07 PM) From the Red Rowdies: Do you want to greet the Rockets today as they arrive back? Go to 8402 Nelms Houston, TX 77061 around 3:30 ‪#‎Support‬
@  Cooper : (28 May 2015 - 06:15 PM) would have to strip the roster to get him, let him lose in la with 40 yr old kobe and crazy rondo.
@  thenit : (28 May 2015 - 06:08 PM) Love interested in Lakers, Rockets and Celtics. Anyone here who wants him ?
@  majik19 : (28 May 2015 - 04:25 PM) It was a great year, and I think Harden will look at Game 2 and Game 5 and strive to be better. If he had gone out on a high note (say Game 4), there would probably be less motivation. But not with a game like that.
@  SadLakerFan : (28 May 2015 - 10:01 AM) Great season. Harden looked perplexed out there, almost like Lebron in 2010. He'll figure things out.
@  Johnny Rocket : (28 May 2015 - 08:31 AM) Thanks, Rox--great season!
@  RudyT1995 : (28 May 2015 - 05:43 AM) Wonder what he'll do this year to make Cuban look like a fool.
@  RudyT1995 : (28 May 2015 - 05:43 AM) Interesting off-season coming up. Time for Morey to work his magic.
@  Mario Peña : (28 May 2015 - 04:57 AM) What a year! It's a great time to be a Rockets fan!
@  miketheodio : (28 May 2015 - 04:06 AM) many records were broken this series
@  Willk : (28 May 2015 - 04:03 AM) Morey's time not team
@  Willk : (28 May 2015 - 04:02 AM) it is now Morey's team
@  Willk : (28 May 2015 - 04:02 AM) the future is bright

Photo

Minnesota Timberwolves 102, Houston Rockets 113: Performed As Expected

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

New post: Minnesota Timberwolves 102, Houston Rockets 113: Performed As Expected
    By: Mitchell Felker

The Minnesota Timberwolves loss to the Houston Rockets on Monday night dropped them to 12-43, dead-last in the West.  They are not a very good team.  And as such, the Rockets' win, playing at home, shouldn't be much to write home about.

Having said that, it felt like last night was the best punch the Wolves could muster; and the Rockets took it in stride.  Birthday boy Andrew Wiggins scored 30 (Can't we just call him Ender already? He's as advertised), former Rocket Kevin Martin got his usual 21, and Ricky Rubio flirted with a triple-double.  In fact, all five Wolves starters scored in double digits.  But it just wasn't enough.

Credit Minnesota for hanging tough, but the game never really felt in danger for the Rockets.  James Harden was what he has been all season: MVP-worthy.  He had his second triple-double of the season (more on that in a bit), with 31 points, 11 boards, 10 dimes and 4(!) blocks.  He started slow, missing all six shots he took in the first quarter, but was 7-14 (5-8 on 3-pt) for the rest of the game.  He hit killer threes at the end of the second and third quarters, and the latter, which nearly re-tore Rubio's ACL, was the NBA's play of the night.

The rest of the Rockets were no slouches either.  Every starter except Jason Terry, who was filling in for a sick Patrick Beverley, scored in double-digits (JET had 9).  Josh Smith shot too much from the outside, but had 17 points off the bench and filled the stat sheet before fouling out.  Corey Brewer's 11 points off the pine outscored Minny's bench (10 pts) all by himself.  D-Mo did what he could defensively against massive General Zod Nikola Pekovich, and managed 12 points, while Trevor Ariza was cold from the outside (2-8) but made up for it with his usual defense (4 steals) and crashing the boards (8 total).

But the real story, other than Harden, was Terrence Jones.  In his first start since November, Jones was all over the place to the tune of 15 pts, 15 rebs, a steal and two blocks.  The Wolves could do nothing to keep him off of the glass (9 offensive) and his shot chart is truly impressive.

image-94

Someone show that puppy to Josh Smith!  Jones never settled and attacked the rim every chance he got.

The Rockets really struggle with long rebounders, especially without Dwight Howard (see: Chandler, Tyson; Jordan, DeAndre).  But they have to lead the league in true power forwards who can take the ball off the glass and run a successful fast break.  Jones (and Smith) ran several such plays Monday night.  Jones seems to be the safer ball-handler, and Smith the much more creative passer.

But back to James Hardens' triple-double.  At a time when Russell Westbrook has really stepped up for the under-manned OKC Thunder, Harden needed a night like this to stay at the forefront of the MVP race.  ESPN Stats and Info dug up some very interesting stats on Harden's big night:

Quote:

James Harden notched his 2nd triple-double as a Rocket. He became the 1st player since Steven Francis in 2001 with multiple triple-doubles in a single season and the 4th Rocket since 1996-97. The other two...hall of famers...Clyde the Glyde Drexler and Scottie Pippen.

[+]

From Elias: It was a high-scoring, poor-shooting triple-double for James Harden. Harden finished with 30 points, but shot only 35% from the field. The last player to * Have a triple-double * Score at least 30 points * and shoot 35% or worse from the field in the same game was Pete Maravich for the Jazz against the Lakers on March 5, 1975.
    Hakeem Olajuwon and Harden are the only players to score 30 points in a triple-double in Rockets franchise history. Hakeem did it 5 times.
    Quick Hitters on Harden's big game * Had 2 career triple-doubles entering this season (all with Rockets) * 6th player with multiple triple-doubles this season * 1st Rockets player with multiple triple-doubles in a single season since Steve Francis in 2001-02 * Joins Kobe Bryant as only players with a 30-point triple-double this season * NBA-leading 25th 30-point game this season * Rockets are 21-4 when Harden scores 30 points this season; 9-2 when he has 10 assists

Blake Griffin and LaMarcus Aldridge have also missed significant time due to injury, but the fact that Harden has not only kept the Rockets in the playoff hunt without Dwight Howard (and Chandler Parsons, for that matter), but that they currently sit in third place has got to be the storyline of the Western Conference so far, Warriors be damned.  The Rockets continue to sit squarely on James Harden's shoulders, and 56 games into the season, he's managed the weight spectacularly.

Side Notes From The Next TV Over: Rudy Gobert is AWESOME.  We finally get to see what Shawn Bradley would have looked like if he wasn't flat-footed dunk-bait.  How often in his career had Tim Duncan had a HOOK SHOT blocked?  And he can run the floor?  Here's hoping Dante Exum isn't really the next Kobe (he's not), because the Jazz have something special in Gobert.

Also, presented without comment:

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,016 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

Nice write up.  A couple of things.  First, your link to Canaan's shot got lost between the front page and here.  Never fear, it's right here.

Second, I will continue to remind everyone that it is a new day and living in the past will only make you blind to what is right in front of your eyes.

Josh Smith is not the man who spent the last few years becoming the goat (in the bad sense) of the NBA.  To perpetuate that by using phrases like, "Josh Smith shot too much from the outside", demonstrates a disconnect from what is actually happening here.

Here is Josh's shot chart from last night:

Last I checked, that is a very Morey-friendly shot chart.  Remember, trust the process, not the results (Morey's mantra).  Trevor Ariza gets a free pass nearly every night for his shooting. Josh Smith has shot 38% from deep since Jan 1st.  Go look at his shot charts.  Long range two's have all but vanished from his arsenal.  Everyone swore the Rockets couldn't change him--he is what he is...and so on...Yet, here we are.  He is focused on setting up teammates, running the fast break, crashing the boards, playing solid D, and, for the most part, playing efficiently within the offense.  He averages 11 field goal attempts per game (3 from deep).  Everyone who gets regular minutes not named Harden finds themselves in the 11-9 fga range.  He is shooting 45% overall and 36% overall from deep (which includes that terrible first couple of weeks he was here).

Here are his shooting splits with % of shots from each range and the fg% from each zone.  LINK  Detroit and Houston are side by side.  You can easily see that the Rockets have taken the roughly 25% of shots he took from 20' and moved them back behind the line.  Now, when he shoots 33% it is still worth 1.0 PPS.  When he shoots better it's nothing but gravy.

Management/coaching has flat out green-lighted his three point shooting.  Last night, Worrell went on about Smith's shooting.  He said that the coaches don't let Josh leave the gym until he sinks (not takes, but makes) 200 three pointers.  That's in addition to regular team practice.  He's not the only one, I am guessing Jones, Motie, Papa, and Bev are there too.

Not only is he doing all that, but he is still providing equal, if not better, contributions than Ariza across the board and on the defensive end.  It's time to let it go, people.  Josh Smith is a good player and people should only cringe when he comes down and jacks a three at the very beginning of a possession.  Only Harden and Terry have that level of green light in my book.

He is still a work in progress, but I see that progress.  He is still having turnover issues, but they are more a by-product of being aggressive and less a by-product of throwing the ball to nobody.  I get that changing people's perceptions is difficult.  All I can say is, "open your mind".

119754d1400938168t-htc-one-m8-horrible-d

#3 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 150 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

^Yeah, it's been pretty clear to me ever since he got here that he's been trying to adapt and buy in. That's part of what made him frustrating and polarizing at first, because you could see the wheels turning, and it was painful to watch a guy in the process of going against years of 'muscle memory' of his game, as it were.

But more and more, he's getting over to the good side of that adaptation process. His game now is fairly different than it was in DET (whilst playing out of position) ATL (when he was a go-to guy).

Anyways, my skepticism about him has mostly been proven wrong in that, so far, he's seemed to be a pretty malleable player. So here's to hoping he keeps going down that road.

Also, what happens with him this offseason will be interesting...

#4 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

I never hated Josh Smith: the offensive player, even in DET where he was woefully miscast. I actually love his offense, when he is in attack mode. But 6 threes is too much for just about any power forward.

He's actually been very good the last few weeks out of the catch and shoot. His off-the-dribble three pointers are still Detroit-level bad, though. I don't think it's perpetuation to point that out.

#5 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 150 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

^True point, it was a fair and agreeable observation. The pull-up 3s do make me groan.

I mean, when we're spaced and kicking out, he's consistently the most wide-open guy spotted up, which is not an accident of course by the defense. I just wonder whether defenses will adjust if his percentages keep up they way they've been lately.

#6 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 202 posts
          • LocationIsrael

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

It suddenly hit me, that after the long TJones-vs-DMo discussions this forum endured for the last couple of years, the fact that they started and played long minutes together went unnoticed...

I really like this current move, which establishes the last front-court pairing that should see major minutes in the playoff. A few games down the road every two-bigs combination involving Howard, Motie, Jones and Smith will have a good chunk of minutes played together, allowing max flexibility for the coaching staff in a long playoff series.

Now it's time to establish the same in the back-court.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,016 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

I never hated Josh Smith: the offensive player, even in DET where he was woefully miscast. I actually love his offense, when he is in attack mode. But 6 threes is too much for just about any power forward.

He's actually been very good the last few weeks out of the catch and shoot. His off-the-dribble three pointers are still Detroit-level bad, though. I don't think it's perpetuation to point that out.

I agree with this and alluded to it in my own post.  When he brings the ball up and pulls up for three I already know it's not going in.  The coaches will work that out.  Still, I don't mind if he shoots from deep (even 6 times) as long as he doesn't start camping out there.  He still had 9 interior shots and was aggressive taking the ball inside both for his own shots and to set up others.

I am not sure if 6 threes is too many for any PF, but I would counter by pointing out this isn't a normal scenario.  This is the Rockets--the more threes the better!  Besides, I think we all agree that anything that keeps him from jacking long 2's is an improvement.  Plus, if this keeps up imagine opposing defenders closing out hard on his three pointers and forgetting how good he is at driving and dishing.  It could happen.....

With him and D-Mo/Jones on the court defenses are going to have a tough time protecting the paint and the perimeter.

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,016 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

It suddenly hit me, that after the long TJones-vs-DMo discussions this forum endured for the last couple of years, the fact that they started and played long minutes together went unnoticed...

I really like this current move, which establishes the last front-court pairing that should see major minutes in the playoff. A few games down the road every two-bigs combination involving Howard, Motie, Jones and Smith will have a good chunk of minutes played together, allowing max flexibility for the coaching staff in a long playoff series.

Now it's time to establish the same in the back-court.

I did notice that and it made me warm and tingly....although, that might have been the wine... :wacko:

#9 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

Josh Smith is lazy and not very clever... he should drive to the rim whole day long.....just attack the rim like what brewer is doing these days... have you noticed how brewer is more impactful now that he stopped shooting 3s

#10 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 54 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

Josh Smith is lazy and not very clever... he should drive to the rim whole day long.....just attack the rim like what brewer is doing these days... have you noticed how brewer is more impactful now that he stopped shooting 3s

Can you provide us with the reasoning behind this? Regarding the laziness of Smith

Edited by bernardo, 27 February 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#11 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 168 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:07 PM

A couple of bone-headed plays, possibly but lazy, not even close. He's been grabbing rebounds, stealing passes and blocking shots with a lot of energy. His contributions since he put one a Rocket headband cannot be overstated. I'm not sure what game you're watching or if you have some kind of aversion towards Smith but it's simply just not true.

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,016 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:19 PM

Can you provide us with the reasoning behind this? Regarding the laziness of Smith

My guess is message boards, 5-year old fan forum posts, and even some etymology.  Certainly, very credible sources.  ;)

Now, it may be true that during his time in Atlanta he soured and was not as professional in his efforts as he could have been.  Personally, I don't blame him.  I've gone into detail before about how Atlanta management dismantled a team that, I feel, could have seriously contended for a title all to save a buck.  They got rid of talent, piece by piece, putting more and more of the onus for winning on Smith and Horford (who was injured at the end of Smith's tenure there).  Meanwhile, they expected the team to advance further and further in the East against the likes of Boston's Big 3, Chicago, and whatever team Lebron was on...oh, and the Pacers team with some Paul George guy.  They had a lousy coach.  Lousy management.  It doesn't surprise me that he turned in a lousy performance from time to time.  There is a reason Atlanta has a new GM and coach since that time.  Suddenly, they are drafting, trading, and playing better....it's probably The Josh Smith Effect, right?

The people turned their anger on him, for whatever reason, and that was that.

This is another reason McHale steering the ship is a good thing.  In a recent interview, Josh Smith talked about McHale calling him prior to signing with us and he specifically noted that McHale said he is a player's coach and that it was 100% true and he really liked that.

I don't think Smith makes any more bone headed plays than lots of NBA players.  It's a reputation thing. (NSFW)

#13 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 168 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

I don't think Smith makes any more bone headed plays than lots of NBA players.  It's a reputation thing. (NSFW)

Exactly, note the "possibly" but no more than the average NBA player.  I even mentioned in another post somewhere, that a couple of ill advised passes or shots were well worth his total production and defensive energy he's been displaying thus far!

#14 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 414 posts
                  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

I think at worst smith has ricky rubio/james harden syndrome, he sees passing lanes/angles others don't and goes for it. Harden tries at least 3 times a game to nutmeg the defender to pass the ball to a big. Thats not a 'sound' basketball play but no one jumps down his throat. Also, though we don't get to see it right now JSmoove's lobs to Howard looked really good, and thats w/o much playing time together. Think about how long it took the rockets (as a team) last year to properly lob it to Howard. Smith picked that up in a couple of games....

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#15 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

because hes settling for them jumshots when he could be King of the paint...dont get me wrong i liked josh smith signing and i like his play for rocketss.... very very mature and useful...but even when they were leaving him alone at 2pt/3pt theres always enough space for him to drive to the rim...(perhaps hes afraid because hes a bad ft shooter) but i guess hes doing what rockets coaches adives him to do be more 3pt shooter than driver to the rim...tonight alos he had a cuople of great 'postup' moves... he should be doing that all day long....but for some reason rockets are reluctant to repeat effective offensive moves... except if its about 3pt shooting.....

boy its was very beautiul to see prigioni  pnrolling with dmo and jones 3 possesions in a row...but of course that got to be stopped and i am sure if he wasnt injured mchale would have stopped him....hehhhe

#16 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 54 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

He's taking some threes, like almost everyone else on the team besides dwight. The long 2's are gone, and that's a good thing. He's been really good on the defensive side and in transition, while also playing most of the time near the rim. I really don't get your criticism of smith

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 4,016 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

He's taking some threes, like almost everyone else on the team besides dwight. The long 2's are gone, and that's a good thing. He's been really good on the defensive side and in transition, while also playing most of the time near the rim. I really don't get your criticism of smith

Because that's what we're supposed to do, right?  Just wait until we lose a playoff game.  If Josh Smith even stands near the 3 pt line and we lose   :o  no matter what it will be his fault and heads will roll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users