Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  TTrainW : (21 February 2015 - 04:13 AM) I would sure hope so... looks like he's just letting the players play and learn the hard way probs
@  King's G... : (21 February 2015 - 04:04 AM) boy mchale seems like doesnt know what hes doing? perhaps hes saving his best for PO?
@  King's G... : (21 February 2015 - 03:46 AM) why mchale hates going to dmo in the post? wasnt he a great post player?
@  TTrainW : (21 February 2015 - 03:45 AM) hahahaha just as i said that fourth quarter run
@  TTrainW : (21 February 2015 - 03:36 AM) well this is pretty ugly... I'm still hoping Harden can take over the game with a timely scoring run but down 20 in the fourth quarter? what happened to urgency
@  majik19 : (21 February 2015 - 03:02 AM) pretty embarrassing. you have to pull Beverly at this point right?
@  YaoMan : (21 February 2015 - 02:27 AM) Rox look sloppy and slow coming back from the break
@  majik19 : (20 February 2015 - 12:03 AM) wtf just happened in the NBA... quiet deadline huh
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 10:31 PM) I think in a vacuum, it was good moves for us. But with the 'arms race' in the West, OKC and Portland both making big strides, we look a tad underwhelming
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 10:30 PM) And Prigioni gives us better 3PT shooting, which IMO, we really need...
@  thejohnnygold : (19 February 2015 - 10:25 PM) I like this deal. McDaniels can be special if he refines his shooting a bit--the rest is there. Prigioni is under-rated in regards to his effect on overall team play.
@  Mario Peña : (19 February 2015 - 10:17 PM) That's a good way to put it, maybe Pablo will surprise like Terry while blending in thus adding to team chemistry.
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:46 PM) an* instead of "and"
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:45 PM) And Prigioni is more of and Andre Miller kind of guy, he will take his time and won't shoot unless he really needs to, but he's got 3 pt range
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:44 PM) Yeah, he is a very nice defender, offensive rebounder and just a pure hustle guy.
@  txtdo1411 : (19 February 2015 - 09:32 PM) @jorgeraam that's nice to hear. I've only watched him when we have played them. He seems like a hell of an athlete, and a plus defender.
@  txtdo1411 : (19 February 2015 - 09:28 PM) I am wondering if Prigioni is going to surprise us a la Terry. Maybe he still has a little left in the tank, and can handle that "creator" role. I don't watch enough Knicks games to know, but he seems Terry-esque with better PG skills.
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 09:25 PM) But yeah, no backcourt "creator", like many of us wanted.
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 February 2015 - 09:24 PM) I'm okay with no PG: Harden is one, practically. Plus Bev, plus Jet on occasion.
@  jorgeaam : (19 February 2015 - 09:20 PM) But we somehow didn't get any PG, which is weird considering how Isiah Thomas, Brandon Knight, Michael Carter-Williams, Dragic and Reggie Jackson got moved today

Photo

The Houston Rockets should roll the dice on a potential Goran Dragic rental

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:23 AM

New post: The Houston Rockets should roll the dice on a potential Goran Dragic rental
    By: Rahat Huq

To begin, know that I'm composing this against my better judgment.  I am fully aware that all of my efforts could be rendered completely useless upon the arrival of just one mere tweet.  But alas, to lay prisoner to fear...ah screw it, you guys get the point; a Woj-bomb is due any moment now so I'm typing fast.

I thought about it all night, and then I thought about it most of the day, and the more I think about it, the more I become convinced that dealing assets for Goran Dragic, even significant combinations, would be the appropriate course of action for the Houston Rockets at the present moment.  It is true that the risk would be supreme as reports have indicated that Dragic would not commit long-term to the team upon an acquisition.  But I think in this case, the potential benefit outweighs the risk.

If acquiring Dragic, Houston absolutely would be in the thick of the title conversation with a roster as enviable as any in basketball.  To those looking to the future, I'd point to the last twenty years of Rockets history as proof of how rare true contention in basketball really is.  As I've been saying, if you aren't willing to go all in during the year you have the league MVP, what situation would you really deem sufficient to push forward your chips?  You collect assets for chances such as these.

Moreover, the greater concern is Dwight Howard's health and the reality that he may be nearing the end as a primetime component.  Sure, this could all just be a blip on the radar and he could just as well come back as dominant as ever, and anchor the paint for the Rockets for the next 4 years.  But its just as likely that we see a greatly diminished Dwight next season and beyond until the end of his contract.  If you refuse to believe that there is reason for concern regarding Dwight's health and long term prospects, you simply have your head in the sand.  Again, he may be fine.  But planning requires taking all possibilities into consideration.

This is also likely the last year of Josh Smith in a Rockets uniform with the team only owning early bird rights on the free-agent-to-be.  We've already seen what the mercurial forward has been able to do against playoff foes when matched up against inferior second units.  Simply put, when Dwight Howard returns in a few weeks, the Rockets may not have, for some time, a team as deep as this one could be with Goran Dragic.  A backcourt combination of Harden, Dragic, Beverley, flanked by Ariza and Brewer on the wings, with Howard, Motiejunas, and Smith inside is as lethal a rotation as any in basketball.  Daryl Morey may not have the chance to assemble talent like that again in the near future.

Even if the Rockets do lose Dragic in free agency, the players' union's rejection of the cap-smoothing proposal this weekend, should offer some hope for a quick rebuild.  With the cap expected to jump to $90 million in 2016, if eventually there is no smoothing altogether (ie: if a new iteration is not introduced, and the sides come to terms), Houston could just look to restock the cupboard in free agency that summer.  It would hurt to lose Dragic, and also the lottery pick, to be sure.  But to pass up on a chance like the Rockets have currently out of fear of what may happen would hurt far more.

#2 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 201 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

If the Suns include Miles Plumlee to go with Dragic,should the Rox then trade D-Mo, the 1st rounder, and cap filler (Terry, K-Pop).  I have a feeling that the Suns will insist on D-Mo.  I still do the trade if I'm the Rox based on Rahat's logic above.

Edited by Johnny Rocket, 19 February 2015 - 12:59 AM.

#3 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 175 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:59 AM

All I would say is that there has to be other options that don't include trading for a player that, from all indications, does not want to be here. We are only 6 months removed from almost having Bosh, Harden, Howard, and Parsons all locked up on long term deals. A team I would say is more talented than this proposed team with Dragic and Smith. To say there will not be another opportunity to have a team this talented, with Morey running the show, is wrong in my opinion. We shall see though. 

Also, what are you talking about giving up for him? That makes a huge difference on if a rental of Dragic is worth it. If it is just NOLA pick + fillers, then I might be more inclined to agree with. 

#4 TXRKT45

TXRKT45

• Members
      • Pip
      • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:23 AM

So what information do you have on Howard's health for this season? If you are arguing that his future health is uncertain and we are not contenders without a healthy Howard, doesn't that apply this year as well? Why trade assets for Dragic if Howard isn't a major contributor this season?  I can't see how it is possible to make a definitive statement on trading for Dragic (given the likelihood he leaves after the year) without the information on Howard for this year. 

#5 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:44 AM

If its Nola pick and Papa/terry then rent away, nothing thats irreplaceable lost. if they want more there has to be better options available.

#6 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 352 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:30 AM

so supposedly its about this (according to woj):The Houston Rockets have interest in reacquiring him, but Dragic has privately indicated his fear of Houston trading him in the years after signing him to a deal makes him uneasy about a deal there.

if your all in with this core...do you give him a no trade clause/kicker? I know that's anti-morey but....if your going to be committed anyways...whats the difference.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#7 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 74 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:58 AM

If its Nola pick and Papa/terry then rent away, nothing thats irreplaceable lost. if they want more there has to be better options available.

I feel the same.

To me, trading DMo midseason is out of the question, especially with Dwight's uncertainty. I'd possibly include Jones if Plumlee also came over. It all depends on what we're giving.

On second thought though, I know Terry is a filler/expiring, but he is our best 3 point shooter... and our offense just don't work as well without competent 3 point shooting. I mean Terry's not a dealbreaker, but I'd be a tad concerned about at least our shooting if he left. 

#8 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 144 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:07 AM

Let's move on from Goran. He puts us between two fronts.....1) Suns want high return on a player we will rent 2) Goran holds it against the Suns for not playing his brother more (according to reports).......thus he must hold it against the Rockets for not playing Zoran more when we had him. Goran wants to be a ball dominant PG on a team where he is the top dog, that can also give his lame brother a job at the big league level.
              Goran is too expensive and so is Kanter.......give me Gerald Green and Plumlee for cap cut roster guys and maybe Terrence Jones.

#9 CaliforniaSUPErRocket

CaliforniaSUPErRocket

• Members
              • Pip
              • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:55 AM

Excitement. A little over 13 hours left.
                Dragic, Harden, Ariza, DMo, Howard. With Josh Smith, Brewer, Terry and whoever is left! Lets to ROCKETS!!!

#10 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

• Members
                • Pip
                • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

Is this Canaan guy really bad so we have to trade for PG...or is it only a PR move? Given PT I think Canaan can serve us better than Dragic...

Edited by King's Gambit Accepted, 19 February 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#11 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,829 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

Thank the gods, All of Them, that Rahat did not get his wish.

So I continue to sit in Row 4 and enjoy MY ROCKETS TEAM

#12 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

Who is Rahat?

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 3,844 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

Who is Rahat?

This guy.

#14 Steven

Steven

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,979 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

This guy.

No he is this guy.

#15 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 377 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:22 PM

Rahat is mythical.  Rahat is omnipotent. 

Let's put it this way... Rahat is not from the shire.

#16 CT for Three

CT for Three

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

I think this episode definitely illustrates a big point Rahat made in an earlier post: Outside of LeBron, where these free agents go is directly (and somewhat perversely) related to who their agent is. Dragic and Bev have the same agent, therefore, it is in his best interests that they do not play on the same team. They can maximize their value without the other posing a potential threat to earning potential. The agent's interest can run counter to the players interest, which creates a conflict, but the NBA and NBAPA allows this because the big agencies (CAA and others) want it. Allows the agencies to maximize profit. An agent is supposed to work on behalf of the player, but too often it feels like the other way around.

#17 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 209 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:06 PM

Dragic's agent got him to Miami which currently has a smoking crater at PG with the opportunity to resign at the full max.  Miami also has a legit pick and role center and a premier stretch 4.  Basically he has the setup from last years Suns only with a better 4 & 5.  Dragic will be all NBA for the rest of the season... Hard to have an agent deliver more then that.

I think this episode definitely illustrates a big point Rahat made in an earlier post: Outside of LeBron, where these free agents go is directly (and somewhat perversely) related to who their agent is. Dragic and Bev have the same agent, therefore, it is in his best interests that they do not play on the same team. They can maximize their value without the other posing a potential threat to earning potential. The agent's interest can run counter to the players interest, which creates a conflict, but the NBA and NBAPA allows this because the big agencies (CAA and others) want it. Allows the agencies to maximize profit. An agent is supposed to work on behalf of the player, but too often it feels like the other way around.

Tough end to the trade deadline.  I was all in on Reggie Jackson, no way we were trumping Ennis Kanter though.  Great pickup by the Thunder for a guy who was about to walk.  Youth (and the rookie scale / extension rights / Bird Rights that come with it) continues to be the most valuable asset in the NBA.

I hope KJ learned some basic NBA level handles in Philly otherwise we won't see much of him in the playoffs.

#18 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 377 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:33 AM

Who says we're making the playoffs?  

#19 King's Gambit Accepted

King's Gambit Accepted

• Members
                                • Pip
                                • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

I like KJ mcd but How long before we will dream and long to sign PG who we had but traded...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users