Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (06 February 2015 - 03:09 AM) Well, surprising new of the day is that Harden is going to participate in the 3 point contest.
@  YaoMan : (05 February 2015 - 09:26 PM) I like Ludicrous too - he's a good addition to the Fast & Furious franchise... ;)
@  thejohnnygold : (05 February 2015 - 05:24 PM) Posted Image
@  thejohnnygold : (05 February 2015 - 05:24 PM) I've always been a fan of "ludicrous" for some reason....
@  Mario Peña : (05 February 2015 - 03:55 PM) Calm down Rick this is unnecessary and like what you mentioned in the previous comment is inflammatory. Let it go, that's my friendly advice.
@  rocketrick : (05 February 2015 - 12:53 PM) Just wondering, is censorship really that necessary on this site?
@  rocketrick : (05 February 2015 - 12:52 PM) Except I simply used the word "ridiculous" and Dad, or Grandpa, JG, gave me a warning about this time a month ago.
@  cointurtlemoose : (05 February 2015 - 04:09 AM) Catharsis!
@  Mario Peña : (03 February 2015 - 10:08 PM) Nice one jorgeaam
@  jorgeaam : (03 February 2015 - 09:56 PM) Time to check all of my past posts
@  thejohnnygold : (03 February 2015 - 09:35 PM) Been doing this for a while...try to use a different, somewhat ridiculous one each time.
@  Losthief : (03 February 2015 - 09:24 PM) im not upset at the change...i get that and noted...i was just curious about the choice of term to replace it with thats all.
@  Mario Peña : (03 February 2015 - 05:25 PM) Good job dad!
@  thejohnnygold : (03 February 2015 - 05:23 PM) That would be me. If you cuss in your posts I will change them to something more....appropriate :)
@  Mario Peña : (03 February 2015 - 03:48 AM) Watt?
@  Losthief : (03 February 2015 - 02:25 AM) also...gee-golly willikers??? is that the auto-correct or is some moderator got some early 1900s in him/her.
@  Mario Peña : (02 February 2015 - 01:59 AM) Agreed, those are some horrible games. Were they on ABC or ESPN?
@  SadLakerFan : (01 February 2015 - 05:19 PM) who would have thought: Heat-Celtics and Lakers-Knicks and no one cares.
@  Cooper : (01 February 2015 - 06:18 AM) can't be giving up 28 to Kcp and augstin even if its the second game of the same day.
@  Losthief : (01 February 2015 - 06:18 AM) yeah my heart about fell out of my chest when he was just layin there in the 2nd...i was like oh gee-golly willikers...

Photo

Gary Neal???

20 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:12 AM

Assuming Dragic is off the market, I don't see many options for a playmaker. How about a knockdown shooter? Neal hasn't shot the ball well this year but I would bet he would shoot better in a winning situation.

Shved for Neal fits perfectly.

Thoughts?

#2 Steven

Steven

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,969 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:36 AM

Isn't James Harden still on the team? Rockets don't need a playmaking PG. The need a three and D PG, kinda like some guy named Mr. 94 Feet. This team will be fine. Got to see them at full strength, with T-Jones playing some wing on the second unit, before we can tell what they really need.

Edited by Steven, 27 January 2015 - 02:36 AM.

#3 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:38 AM

I don't see how TJones would help figure out what we need? The answer is staring at us in the face. When Harden doesn't have it going, we stink. No one can knock down shots. Howard is dreadful in the post. We ignore Dmo. 

We need an offensive boost. 

#4 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 63 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:44 AM

Isn't James Harden still on the team? Rockets don't need a playmaking PG. The need a three and D PG, kinda like some guy named Mr. 94 Feet. This team will be fine. Got to see them at full strength, with T-Jones playing some wing on the second unit, before we can tell what they really need.

True that TJones return will really clue us into the true identity of the team, and of what it needs. But I still think another playmaker guard for the beginning of the 2nd and 4th quarters, even someone you could put next to Harden given the right matchup, would be extremely valuable. Our offense has gotten anemic when Harden sits all year long. Not too much of a problem when your a 95 OPPG team, but now that we're up to about 100... but I guess it all goes back to team identity - will the Rockets regain their "defense first" identity that they had earlier, or was that just a growth phase?

I'm defining playmaker as someone who can create off the dribble, draw help, and/or present defenses with dilemmas. Doesn't even have to be a big name.

So yeah I'm on the backcourt playmaker wagon. Not to start. Bev needs to stay next to Harden.

Idk about Gary Neal... I could fake an opinion based on his stats, haha, but I literally have no significant experience of watching him play.

I'd thought about Isaiah Thomas for a while, and I still like him, but 1) it seems he's found an identity now in PHO, as they've worked out their backcourt logjam, and 2) his size makes him slightly liable on defense

#5 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 332 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

ummmm....how is dragic off the market (the playoff chase?), the dude played all of 18 minutes against us in a close game due to his coaches decision to sit him. He also has clearly stated he's exploring free agency this summer (and mentioned the rockets are a possibility he will look at), so there is some worry about him walking away for nothing for PHO. I doubt they would trade him for nothing and I wouldn't give up much with him becoming a FA, but still off the market is a bit firm imo. 

That said since he will be a FA i wouldn't offer much for him at this point. The guy that might be gettable (team record wise) and would be a great 6th man if he would be willing to come off the bench would be ty lawson from denver. He'd bring scoring, shooting, passing/penetrating/creating ability and would fit wonderfully in the transition game of our bench (brewer, josh). He's a bit small but I think would be fine defending against other back up pgs. 

As for staying pat...against most matchups I think we are fine, but on nights/matchups where Harden is limited in penetration/pick and roll to be able to have a secondary creating option would be ideal. That said, we can do that one of two ways, running a different offense (like Kyle Korver or Tony Parker) with him coming off some double screens along the baseline and creating some options for him to choose which side to come out on to get him the ball in a spot to attack with the defense on the move. I'm an advocate of this, but it doesn't seem to be something the rockets/mchale/morey et al are going to implement this season. Also this action is helped if the ball handler is a threat to penetrate and makes the defense honor him, you see this alot with Manu/Leonard controlling up top and tony running of the picks with the spurs. You also see it alot with the hawks.

In addition, I unlike most of the league i think at this point, feel that Harden off the ball could be even more devastating in spurts than having him on it. He's still going to get his transition buckets and every opportunity to get him catch and shoot open shots and/or have the defense forget about him and swing it to him on the weak side should be explored...but that's not how our team is constructed and he's great with it in his hands so its a non-point.

The drop in ppg on defense doesn't worry me at all. We are currently tied for 4th on def efficency, but really haven't dropped from 2nd as we are 0.4 behind 2nd which is miniscule and the result of the GSW blowouts. The uptick (downtick?) in ppg is a result of being up to 5th in pace now instead of middle of the pack like earlier in the year. For reference we give up less points per game than GSW, yet there def efficiency is the only one mark-ably better than ours (97s to 99s), this is due to them having the fastest pace in the league. So teams get points, but they do so inefficiently. Per game point totals for points metrics are very misleading. Per possession/efficiency is more telling of whats actually occurring.

I'm more worried about our 14th ranked offense, I get we score the 7th most points per game, but we are squarely middle of the road in how we do it, we are merely bouyed by our faster pace to 7th in ppg. We are a worrisome 2nd to last offensively (only ahead of the trainwreck in Philly) when harden is on the bench, which is why we need more creators/action imo. But, 14th is up from 16th which we were before the trades for the bench squad so there is some internal growth hope still with more chemistry, practice, and time. Also...turnovers need to get down to a sub 15 level I think for us to win the west. Also T-Jones if healthy should help some with scoring droughts.

Edited by Losthief, 27 January 2015 - 07:12 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#6 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Dragic is off the market. He is not coming here this season. The 8th seed will be a dogfight to the end. I don't see PHX giving up on their playoff chase by the trading deadline. 

The playmaker market is thin. 

Ty Lawson? If I was DEN I would keep him. 

D-Will? No thanks.

How good would Aaron Brooks look right now? 

The only reason I brought up Gary Neal is because I DOUBT we will find a playmaker by the trading deadline, so why not a shooter? He proved he can play among the elite in the finals. He has much more size than Daniels. He is a guy that isn't scared to shoot. 

Unless Canaan becomes the answer, which he did get called back up, I don't see what the Rockets can do.

#7 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 63 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, I got kinda queasy when I saw those D-Will-to-HOU trade rumors a couple weeks back...

Great points Losthief. Lawson is intriguing... I just wonder how that trade would be done. Denver is kind of in a weirdo, 'almost but not quite rebuilding' phase right now, so I have no idea what they would even want to do if we came calling for Lawson.

Concerning Schved, am I reading the rules right that he is only available to be dealt Feb. 18, the day before the deadline?

#8 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,228 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

Wouldn't mind Neal and can't imagine it'd take much to get him. Wonder how attached to Nick Young the lakers are.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 3,812 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

Wouldn't mind Neal and can't imagine it'd take much to get him. Wonder how attached to Nick Young the lakers are.

Oh no.  No no no no no no no no (x1,000,000)  :lol:

Honestly, I would rather reacquire Jeremy Lin (even with his $15M price tag) before Nick Young dons a Rockets jersey.

I agree that Dragic is not happening this season (we've been over it so many times).  Phoenix doesn't want our scraps--they have a pretty good looking roster, really.  Lots of good young talent at every position.  They could use an upgrade at back up PF, but they aren't desperate for it.  It looks like the Lakers draft pick is going to get bumped to a later year.  Our New Orleans pick is not the golden ticket many thought it would be.

There is a good chance Phoenix believes they can work a sign and trade with Dragic at the end of the season.  Why not?  He doesn't want to go to a rebuilding team, he's going to get paid in the $12M range (at least), and any good team will likely need to clear the cap room for him by trading.

Would Miami send Luol Deng and whatever filler they want for Dragic?  I bet they would and Phoenix might go for it as that is a decent upgrade over PJ Tucker.  Who knows?  

Either way, I don't think Gary Neal is the answer either.

#10 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 631 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

Nick Young might be the most overrated scorer in the NBA today. He shoots a ton and poorly, with poor shot selection. Can't drive to the basket and just pulls up jumpers and cant beat his man despite being a quite undersized SF. I rather take bargnani than Young.

#11 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,553 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

Dragic is a max player next year.

Why so Serious? :D

#12 Steven

Steven

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,969 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:50 AM

Swaggy P is the best player in the league. Just ask him.

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 3,812 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:00 AM

Swaggy P is the best player in the league. Just ask him.

Did anyone else see the stat for Nick Young that showed in the 287 minutes he played with Kobe on the court he assisted exactly ZERO of Kobe's shots.  If you guys think having Josh Smith on the team is frustrating...imagine that.

Here is an even more amazing stat.  He is currently shooting 39% from three this season....and 36% from inside the arc.   :o

Wait, it gets better.  From 3-10 feet he is shooting 7% from the field (not a typo).  From 10-16 feet he is shooting 30%.  From 16 feet to the arc he is shooting 36%.  Probably the only player (outside of Kyle Korver) who gets better the further away he shoots.  (by the way, Korver is currently at 53% on 3's for the season)

One last bit of trivia--he also goes by the nicknames "Bean Burrito" and "The City".

#14 Steven

Steven

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,969 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:07 AM

You forgot he is dating the Gwen Stefani wannabe, izzy aquafina or whatever it is.

#15 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

Rookie

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 80 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:24 AM

I am worried about the offense as well. It seems very stagnant at times and it doesn't seem like we are playing to a lot of our key players strengths. I didn't imagine that we were second worst in the league when harden sat. Hopefully Canaan has gained confidence and can be trusted to keep things moving while harden rests.

"The City!" Wow just....wow!

#16 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hey guys, what about Mo Williams. He wouldn't be much of a risk(1 year contract) and according to Stein, the T-Wolves only want a second rounder. He is a solid scorer off the bench and can be a playmaker when Harden sits. And I like Prigioni also. He is a willing passer, a good defender(according to bleacherreport), and a career 42 percent 3 point shooter. And the Knicks only want a second round pick.

Edited by 08huangj, 05 February 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                          • 3,812 posts
                          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hey guys, what about Mo Williams. He wouldn't be much of a risk(1 year contract) and according to Stein, the T-Wolves only want a second rounder. He is a solid scorer off the bench and can be a playmaker when Harden sits. And I like Prigioni also. He is a willing passer, a good defender(according to bleacherreport), and a career 42 percent 3 point shooter. And the Knicks only want a second round pick.

Given our salary cap situation it is a move that would require us to trade a player at, or around, Mo's $3.75M contract.  The only player that we would want to part with who fits that description is Alexy Shved....who Minnesota just dumped on us in the Brewer trade.  So, I don't think this is likely to work out for us.

#18 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

I would like another play-maker when Harden is out but I doubt there is any available for the right price. And from last night and a couple other games, I actually like what I see from Brewer initiating the offense.  Not saying he's a excellent play-maker but he can handle and get the team in it's offensive set. And I also think D-mo should always be in the game when Harden is taking a break and work the inside out with him.

#19 Steven

Steven

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                            • 1,969 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Wasn't Shved in Philly?

#20 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:39 PM

Steven, you are correct but he previously was dumped by Minn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users