Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (24 January 2015 - 05:29 AM) 2) At least Klay waited a game before he turned into a human fireball...
@  cointurtlemoose : (24 January 2015 - 05:28 AM) 1) James, my hero...
@  Matt Maloney... : (24 January 2015 - 05:05 AM) James Harden is BAD SANTA...dropping gifts!
@  Mario Peña : (24 January 2015 - 04:54 AM) Beard!!!
@  08huangj : (24 January 2015 - 02:28 AM) Howard to the locker room. Hope it isn't a big problem.
@  Mario Peña : (24 January 2015 - 02:17 AM) Howard for three! Three! Three!
@  Cooper : (23 January 2015 - 07:01 PM) Blazers are going to have trouble without aldridge and lopez. Good chance for Rox/mavs/clips to move up
@  Cooper : (22 January 2015 - 07:05 AM) Need to find or develop a second weapon on offense dwight has too many matchup limitations.
@  Matt Maloney... : (22 January 2015 - 06:13 AM) Silver Lining: SHVED looks more that cap filler.
@  Matt Maloney... : (22 January 2015 - 06:12 AM) So... EYE TEST tells me that we were playing better Defense when we had that Tarik Black and Joey Dorsey splitting minutes.
@  Mario Peña : (22 January 2015 - 06:09 AM) Looks like we should have seen more Brewer and Dorsey and less Ariza and Smith. I wonder what impact Jones could have had.
@  Mario Peña : (22 January 2015 - 05:57 AM) Jet!!!
@  Matt Maloney... : (22 January 2015 - 05:39 AM) lets go small and jack up threes
@  Matt Maloney... : (22 January 2015 - 05:38 AM) Can we say screw it? Harden, Brewer, Ariza, Dmo, K-Pap
@  Mario Peña : (22 January 2015 - 05:38 AM) Harden can't do it alone. The Warriors are just better right now on most nights. I think the Rockets are about a year behind the Warriors when it comes to continuity.
@  thenit : (22 January 2015 - 05:31 AM) its a massacre,tough to swallow with two of these in a week. luckily the west is stacked and its all about matchups
@  cointurtlemoose : (22 January 2015 - 04:40 AM) Okay now we're kinda getting pooped on...
@  Matt Maloney... : (22 January 2015 - 04:29 AM) Warriors are having too much fun
@  Matt Maloney... : (22 January 2015 - 04:29 AM) We have to dirty this game up!
@  jorgeaam : (16 January 2015 - 01:45 AM) Wow, Rockets leading 40-18 after 1Q against OKC

Photo

Houston Rockets 113, Golden State Warriors 126: That...did not go well

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell Felker

Mitchell Felker

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

All you really need to know about last night's season-series sweeping win for Golden State over Houston was that the Rockets starters had an average plus/minus of about -27, the Warriors +26.  And it wasn't even that close.

The Rockets turned the ball over more, shot worse, and played with less conviction/composure.  The Warriors' have now posted the two highest scoring totals the Rockets have allowed this season (131 & 126), and their 40 point third quarter was the most points a team has put up on Houston in any quarter this season.  James Harden's 33 points hide the fact that he wasn't able to dictate much except from the free throw stripe.  Josh Smith's double tech-ejection makes you forget the nice alley-oops he threw Dwight Howard.  And nothing Pat Beverley or Trevor Ariza did could slow down Steph Curry or Klay Thompson.

On the bright side, this games wasn't on TNT, so no Rockets' fans weren't subjected to what surely would have been an evisceration of Dwight Howard by Chuck and Shaq.  The box score wasn't THAT much different between Dwight (7 points, 11 rebounds) and Andrew Bogut (9 points, 10 rebounds), but their impact couldn't have been more opposite.  Dwight spent most of the game hacking and banging shots off the glass, while Bogut protected the rim ferociously, finished strong in the paint, and even ran a beautiful semi-fast break to a back door Klay Thompson.  As an ardent Howard-defender, this was the type of game that makes that stance so difficult to defend.  In his defense though, there were multiple times when Howard found himself being guarded by Draymond Green and David Lee and the Rockets just didn't do enough to get him the ball in those situations.  But overall, Howard looked like the lackadaisical and overblown oaf that so many pundits claim he is.

The Rockets' bench is the only aspect of this game that you can point to and say they were better.  The group of Joey Dorsey, Kostas Papanikolaou, Corey Brewer, Alexy Shved and Jason Terry took a huge Warriors lead at the end of the third quarter and whittled it down to nine with four minutes to play.  But even that was likely due to the Warriors checking out after playing with with such a large lead for most of the game.  Steve Kerr was forced to reinsert Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, who quickly pushed the lead back out of reach.  I certainly don't blame Kevin McHale for leaving the unit that made it a ballgame again on the floor, but seeing as most of those players are not used to playing 10-plus minutes at a time, it would have been nice to see what James Harden could have done with a single-digit lead.

I typically keep a pretty level head throughout the long NBA regular season, but this loss, following Saturday's drubbing, already has me looking ahead and hoping the Rockets don't end up in the 4-5 spot in the West at seasons' end.  Any combination of the conference's parade of contenders would be better than a potential second round match-up with the Warriors.  There's just something about Golden State that makes Houston look impotent.

Last year the Rockets swept the San Antonio Spurs and they still managed to win the title, so having a bad inter-conference match-up isn't a death sentence to title hopes.  But San Antonio also caught a break when the Blazers upset the Rockets in the first round.  If Houston has any real chance at a title, it looks like their going to need the same kind of break.

#2 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 497 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

The Warriors are good. It's almost like they're constructed to beat us, especially. They force their opponents to work hard at both ends through each position. While at the same time they don't have to use their primary offensive energy trying to stop our two biggest scoring threats. Curry doesn't worry about having to stop anybody on our squad and they're able to corral Harden with someone other than Thompson, but even when he does, he's extremely effective at it. Bogut's bulk is tough for Howard to get advantage over. Especially if Howard is somewhat out of sorts like he seems to be. Anybody know what's bugging him? It's got to be something.

Teams who's primary scoring options are at the 1 and 4 positions are better constructed to beat the Warriors, IMO. The Blazers, Clippers and Spurs come to mind, but also Dallas and OKC stand to fare a little better. All 4 of which I like our chances against. I agree with the notion that the series sweep is cause for a little worry, but by no means a nail in our coffin. Having Jones back will certainly help tremendously against the Warriors, too, because while Lee may be able to put a body on Dmo and force him out of his spots, because there's no real threat at the rim, Jones' length and athleticism can bother this team. Smith's could have too if his head could just get right. The chemistry between Smith and Dwight (when they're both on their game) can be special.

Edited by Alituro, 22 January 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#3 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,826 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

The Good News is the Rockets won't be matching up again vs. Golden State until at least the Western Conference Semi-Finals or even later in the Western Conference Finals depending on seeds, etc.

Of course, that is assuming the Rockets finish in the top 7 in the West.

If the Rockets happen to end up 8th at the end of the season, ouch, G-State will be an extremely tough opponent not to mention the obvious by now matchup issues evident over their regular season history this year.

Edited by rocketrick, 22 January 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#4 CT for Three

CT for Three

• Members
        • Pip
        • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

POPULAR

I agree with Alituro, but I think the biggest problem GS presents is Draymond Green. Kerr is essentially starting 2 shooting guards (Curry and Thompson) and 2 small forwards (Barnes and Green) and 1 post guy (Bogut). 4 guys who are stretching the defense all over the court, and can run the break equally well. Because Green is in, you can really only play one post defender at a time, because he will burn most PFs from outside. Because the Rockets play 2 post guys most of the time, GS can collapse on Dwight from multiple angles, which limits the effectiveness of any postup in the lane.

Playing 4 wings (essentially) makes it easier to switch everything and pressure people into turnovers and bad shots, which turns into fast break points. And because they are able to switch everything put more pressure on the 3 point line, where the Rockets make their bread and butter. GS understands the simple fact that if Houston does not make more 3s than the other team, then Houston probably loses. 

Last night, I would have liked for Houston to play that game as well. Play Brewer and Ariza with Harden and Bev. Put the pressure on Curry to have to switch defensively. Make Green have to defend a quicker forward, whom he might have to foul more often. Making Curry and Green more accountable for their man on defense is the way the Rockets should attack GS. Curry can make shots from anywhere, but if we can keep him and Green out of transition, then we have a better shot 

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 3,772 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

I'm glad to see people aren't crapping all over the team and coaches.  Last night was one of the worst regular season losses I can remember (maybe because I block them all out  ;) ).  I agree that the match-up is awful for us.  At times, the guys just look lost out there (I wish I could hear what the coaches/players say and think about these games) as if they had no idea what was coming or how to deal with it.  I like the idea of going small.  I like the idea that Jones will help a lot with this match up.  I like that we don't play them again (potentially) until the playoffs and that they will likely face OKC in the first round.

Last night, as GS administered their second drubbing in 5 days, I felt like this

giphy.gif

The good news is I am feeling slightly better this morning and am somewhere around here...

On to the the next game!  (I'm also considering some Curry/Thompson voodoo dolls...it can't hurt, right?)

#6 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Dwight's knee has to be bothering him. His elevation and quickness isn't where it was earlier in the season. People will accuse him of being lazy but I tend to think that the knee is the real problem. 

T-Jones will be interesting if he is inserted into the starting lineup. (If we rest Dwight)

D-Mo, Jones, Ariza, Bev, Harden, 

The more interesting in game lineup is;

Jones, Ariza, Brewer, Harden, Shved

That is incredibly long lineup. Maybe a lineup that will match up better with GSW. 

#7 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,221 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

Many good points are being made here.

I also agree Dwight is not 100% and I believe he has decided to play through his knee issues.

I am very much on board with the idea that having Dwight and Motiejunas on the court together against the Warriors probably isn't the way to go although it did have success last week. Also Ariza seems out of sorts or is having confidence issues and I wouldn't mind if they gave Brewer some run with the starters though I don't really see that happening. I think that Dorsey defensive energy/activity could also be useful in the second and third quarters and would like to see him give Dwight a couple extra minutes in the first half while keeping the energy level high.

The popcornmachine game flow illustrates the match ups well: http://www.popcornma...121&game=HOUGSW

All in all though a disappointing loss I still think as far as time together and cohesion goes this Rockets team is about a year or so behind the Warriors and that continuity can be a factor in separating the very good teams from the best in the league. 

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#8 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • Pip
            • 45 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

I agree with Alituro, but I think the biggest problem GS presents is Draymond Green. Kerr is essentially starting 2 shooting guards (Curry and Thompson) and 2 small forwards (Barnes and Green) and 1 post guy (Bogut). 4 guys who are stretching the defense all over the court, and can run the break equally well. Because Green is in, you can really only play one post defender at a time, because he will burn most PFs from outside. Because the Rockets play 2 post guys most of the time, GS can collapse on Dwight from multiple angles, which limits the effectiveness of any postup in the lane.

Playing 4 wings (essentially) makes it easier to switch everything and pressure people into turnovers and bad shots, which turns into fast break points. And because they are able to switch everything put more pressure on the 3 point line, where the Rockets make their bread and butter. GS understands the simple fact that if Houston does not make more 3s than the other team, then Houston probably loses. 

Last night, I would have liked for Houston to play that game as well. Play Brewer and Ariza with Harden and Bev. Put the pressure on Curry to have to switch defensively. Make Green have to defend a quicker forward, whom he might have to foul more often. Making Curry and Green more accountable for their man on defense is the way the Rockets should attack GS. Curry can make shots from anywhere, but if we can keep him and Green out of transition, then we have a better shot 

Yesss, a lot of this is also what I was noticing last night. I too would have liked to see us try a different approach, go smaller, introduce dilemmas into their gameplan. But alas... After a blowout loss on Saturday, I was thinking we were going to make some adjustments for yesterday.

Also, I feel like we got a bit panicky with our shot selection late in the second, and early in the third. Our quality of shots in the first quarter, I thought, was actually pretty good! They just weren't falling at all.

Howard still seems very off, Smith doesn't seem to be making a lot of consistent progress... But man, Brewer and Terry were godsends. I, for one, never thought we'd be getting this much out of late-thirties Jason Terry.

#9 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:47 PM

Is not going after Rondo will be something that will haunt us? 

We could have offered a better package than Dallas.

#10 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                • Pip
                • 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:45 AM

^I don't know... within the Rockets' system, it's hard for me to see someone on the perimeter next to Harden who can't spot up from 3.

But he's a serious playmaker, and I've thought for a while that we need another creator (NOT even necessarily an All-Star) in order to put us into true title contention for this season. Then again, I'm not for sacrificing too much depth in order to try and do that this season.

#11 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 497 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

^I don't know... within the Rockets' system, it's hard for me to see someone on the perimeter next to Harden who can't spot up from 3.

But he's a serious playmaker, and I've thought for a while that we need another creator (NOT even necessarily an All-Star) in order to put us into true title contention for this season. Then again, I'm not for sacrificing too much depth in order to try and do that this season.

I agree with this, let us not forget though that Beverley is hitting around 38% from deep. What more could you reasonably ask?

We do need another perimeter playmaker though, while Rondo is that, I don't think sacrificing the 3-ball from your PG is wise in our current system. What we do need though, and the solution may be right under our nose is a PG who is just as devastating driving to the hoop, collapsing defenses as he is from deep. While the defense and 3s are spectacular from Bev, he has nothing in his arsenal to keep his defender on his heels, nor to attract attention from other defenders, not even in the aspect of forcing other defenders to shade a bit into his passing lanes. The only directive in guarding Beverley is to close out on his 3's... that's it, and that's the one defensive directive that requires the least amount of energy. We need to make opposing PGs (and there are a lot of good ones between here and a ring) work harder on both ends of the floor. Canaan has all of the necessary skills along with the bulk to be a bruiser driving to the hoop, initiating contact, and the touch to finish from wherever. We all know about his 3-ball proficiency. With the signing of Ariza, the emergence of Dmo defensively, and increased defensive efforts from Harden, I think we can sacrifice a little D in the name of of boosting the offense in the starting unit. After all, we're elite in the league defensively (except lately), but only mediocre in our offensive production. We need to try and break the top 10 in O before the season's out to have a chance. Let's hope Canaan gets healthy and hope he can get back and battle Beverley for the starting spot, even if the result is only lighting a fire under Bev's ass.

#12 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 627 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

Bogut sets such good screens.that bev have no chance against curry. Bevs man to man D is getting neutralized so we need to make curry work on the other end to fatigue him, unfortunately we can't do that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users