Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (30 January 2015 - 12:44 AM) No Demarcus Cousins or Damian Lillard in the All-Star game, by the way
@  jorgeaam : (30 January 2015 - 12:40 AM) In the non-surprising new of the day, James Harden was selected as an All-Star reserve
@  Alituro : (29 January 2015 - 04:49 PM) If you look in the corners and behind the basket... where the regular ticket buyers sit, it tells a different story.
@  Alituro : (29 January 2015 - 04:48 PM) Our home crowd appearance is misleading as the seats along the sides that you see on TV are corporate seats and usually spoken for each game but the patrons spend their time in the lounges and restaurants
@  Alituro : (29 January 2015 - 04:45 PM) Our crowd certainly came alive when it came time to Ice Chandler's Flagrant FTs
@  Matt Maloney... : (29 January 2015 - 04:44 PM) Congrats to Josh Smith for having a ONE good night on the offensive end. His D and rebounding is always good, don't tell me you don't cringe when he takes a jumper at the top of the key when you have a MVP out there
@  Matt Maloney... : (29 January 2015 - 04:42 PM) If you have league pass, even the Knicks have a better home crowd
@  Matt Maloney... : (29 January 2015 - 04:40 PM) For those of us who no longer live in Houston, lives in LA, and pays the high prices at the Staples Center to watch the Rockets play, and you see the support the Lakers get, yeah I think I have a point
@  rocketrick : (29 January 2015 - 01:41 PM) Same dude also complaining about Josh Smith jump shots. Yesterday evening at the game over at Toyota Center (it's Downtown, let me know if anyone needs directions on how to get there) I saw solid evidence of the 2011 Josh Smith.
@  rocketrick : (29 January 2015 - 01:35 PM) I don't understand people on this site complaining about the Rockets home crowd while the complainers clearly are not buying tickets and going to the game.
@  Losthief : (29 January 2015 - 07:29 AM) tjones looked really good tonight...and bigger/stronger in the upper body which should help on d!
@  Matt Maloney... : (29 January 2015 - 02:09 AM) Rondo has a ghost defender on him most of the time.
@  Matt Maloney... : (29 January 2015 - 01:17 AM) Another crappy home crowd...
@  08huangj : (28 January 2015 - 11:47 AM) Why are there no more previews on this website?
@  Matt Maloney... : (26 January 2015 - 05:00 AM) THEY KNOW HE WILL MISS*
@  Matt Maloney... : (26 January 2015 - 04:59 AM) Our opponents have running start when Josh Smith shoots a jumper. After miss seems to turn into a fast break. THEY HE WILL MISS!
@  Mario Peña : (26 January 2015 - 04:39 AM) These fourth quarter runs (and late third quarter ones too) that the Rockets give up are getting me worried. A bad development since the end of December that I've been noticing.
@  cointurtlemoose : (24 January 2015 - 05:29 AM) 2) At least Klay waited a game before he turned into a human fireball...
@  cointurtlemoose : (24 January 2015 - 05:28 AM) 1) James, my hero...
@  Matt Maloney... : (24 January 2015 - 05:05 AM) James Harden is BAD SANTA...dropping gifts!

Photo

Cannan to the D-League (and back)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

Do you guys think?

Morey is trying to showcase Shved for a trade. 

Or

They believe Shved has a higher ceiling than Canaan and they would rather give the PT to Shved.

#2 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,547 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

IMO, Shved is better now. If we are serious about contending (which we are) then he should get the minutes over Canaan. But he could be traded. I doubt he gets traded to a contender in the West and who in the East needs another guard? Cleveland has Delly as a backup point and that's about a wash. WSH has Miller. Toronto has Vasquez. Chicago has Hinrich who is still effective. Cleveland has Delly. Atlanta has Schroeder who they want to improve and Mack as a number three. I don't see a team giving up a second rounder for him. Rebuilding teams cover draft picks and contending teams don't have a need for a 2nd/3rd PG right now.

Edited by timetodienow1234567, 11 January 2015 - 11:15 PM.

Why so Serious? :D

#3 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

The way they stopped using Canaan after he put together a string of pretty good games right before he got injured... it confuses me. Like we've speculated before, there may have been something more to it. Maybe it's just a simple size thing? 6' 0" vs. 6' 6"...

I personally don't see how Shved has a higher ceiling; Canaan is obviously less experienced, but he's an enormously better shooter, and even seems more creative off the dribble.

Anyways so I'm hoping they're maybe preparing Shved to be part of a trade for another PG? A creator PG for the second unit would be very valuable.

#4 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 629 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:13 AM

Alex isn't playing so it doesn't matter in regards of showcasing him. 

I'm not sure what houston is doing right now. Canaan started when Bev was out, but before and after the injury of Bev, he didn't play or backup. So its weird that they will start him when Bev is out but play Terry off the bench regardless of who is starting.

#5 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:34 AM

^True.

Related to that, and to a persisting pet-peeve of mine:

Does anyone else think that Terry as a 25 MPG point guard is not a sustainable/ideal plan??

I need some validation here, bear with me.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 3,780 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

I don't want to read too much into the Canaan move--maybe they just want him to be game ready and figure playing in the D-League is better than riding the pine.  As for Shved, this snippet from DraftExpress.com should excite some people around here:

Watching Shved play, it’s tough not to be enamored with the terrific talent he displays, particularly his ability to play the pick-and-roll and operate in the open floor. He’s got great size for either backcourt position at 6-5 and is an extremely fluid, creative player with the ability to create his own shot, which is rare for a European prospect. He has all the typical tricks you see from Euro-style slashers, relying heavily on timing, pace, change of speed and herky-jerky shakes and crossovers to get his man off balance, but he also has an extra gear he can go to to get by his man using either hand, particularly in transition.

In this regard, his style of play is very similar to the way Goran Dragic played for Phoenix this season. Shved is an even better passer, though. He instinctively makes smart, simple passes within the flow of the offense, but he can also wow you at times with his imagination and his ability to thread the needle and find the open man diving to the rim for an easy basket.

http://www.draftexpr...m#ixzz3OcqhiNxJ
          http://www.draftexpress.com

I think Houston wants to get a good look at him and see if they can iron out the wrinkles in his game.  We already got Brewer in the deal so it's a no cost gamble.

Also, cointurtlemoose, I do think size is an issue.  There is a reason there aren't many 6' tall NBA players.  (According to Draft Express, he is 5' 11" without shoes.)  Shved is 6' 5" without shoes--that's 6" of extra defense and scoring ability.  Canaan does have an equal 6' 4" wingspan (same as Shved) so that helps.

I know everyone wants Canaan on the floor more, but the Rockets have their reasons.  If he was the best option to be out there, he would be out there.  As McHale once quipped, "We're trying to win".

#7 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,826 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

^True.

Related to that, and to a persisting pet-peeve of mine:

Does anyone else think that Terry as a 25 MPG point guard is not a sustainable/ideal plan??

I need some validation here, bear with me.

Have to consider playoff rotation going forward. Does anyone really think any smart NBA Coach is going to play Canaan over J Terry in the 2015 playoffs? Only if Canaan is just killing it the last few weeks of the regular season and even then, not a sure thing. NBA experience, especially playoff experience, simply overrules in just about all cases.

Unless the Rockets make other significant moves by the February Trade Deadline, I am envisioning Corey Brewer, Josh Smith and Jason Terry as the first 3 off the bench assuming the current Rockets starting lineup is still in effect 3 months from now.

Terrance Jones is a wild card depending on his health and how he is able to produce in his VERY limited minutes going forward, should he be able to be healthy enough this season to even play.

Papanikalou and Shved (if Alexy is still here after the February trade deadline) would be the next 2 players in line for some minutes in playoff action, in my opinion, based on what we know today.

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

It's curious. On the surface of things, Canaan seems to have all of the qualities this team would desire in a backup. Must be something below the surface.

#9 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,826 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

I agree, it does seem curious on the surface. Perhaps those in the know with the Rockets just believe that Schved is a better player with the ball in his hands than Canaan.

Since the Rockets are a bit short of playmakers this season with Parsons now in Dallas and Lin now in LA, perhaps they value Shved's playmaking abilities over Canaan's proven shot making abilities from the 3 point line.

Shved's height compared to Canaan on the defensive end could also be more desireable.

The truth is Shved has barely played at all thus far in Houston due to his recent injury. More certainty to be determined in the next 6 weeks prior to the NBA Trade Deadline in my opinion.

Edited by rocketrick, 12 January 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#10 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

Have to consider playoff rotation going forward. Does anyone really think any smart NBA Coach is going to play Canaan over J Terry in the 2015 playoffs? Only if Canaan is just killing it the last few weeks of the regular season and even then, not a sure thing. NBA experience, especially playoff experience, simply overrules in just about all cases.

Point taken, but then again my main concern is that Terry won't last that long at this pace. He's been good for us, I just don't want to run him into the ground before playoffs when, like you said, we'll really need him. Anyways maybe I worry too much :)

#11 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,826 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

I think the JET will be fine going forward.

After all, he's averaged less than 20 minutes per game his last 10.

Certainly earlier in the season when Patrick Beverley was injured and DNP, the Rockets relied much more on the JET.

Truth be told, it would be justice for the Rockets to defeat the Mavericks in the 1st Round with a timely shot or two from the JET to sorta make up for the 2005 1st round series.

#12 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 315 posts
                    • LocationHouston

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Terry looks good....and he doesn't play inside/penetrate much so I think he'll be fine. He reminds me of vince carter a bit in the fact that they had so much athleticism to begin with (carter all around, terry speed/hangtime) that even though they aren't what they were they still are equal to alot of nba players out there.

As for canaan....he hasn't looked right since he's come back from injury it may be about getting him some run as well. I like Shved actually as a potential back up shooting guard with his size as that would allow you to have a ballhander/passer type to play with bev when sitting harden but dunno if he's up to it. When its bev and either terry or brewer in the backcourt we lack outside pentration and pick and roll ability...so that could be part of it playing Shved as a 2 next to terry/bev.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#13 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,223 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Personally I don't think Canaan was the same after his injury and with the roster upheaval he was better served by a stint with the Vipers but he is back. I wonder if Canaan gets playing time this go round and I wonder if he is mentioned in current trade talks.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#14 Willk

Willk

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 255 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

Personally I don't think Canaan was the same after his injury and with the roster upheaval he was better served by a stint with the Vipers but he is back. I wonder if Canaan gets playing time this go round and I wonder if he is mentioned in current trade talks.

I agree that Canaan did not look the same after the injury. He might have returned too soon. Hopefully he found his shooting touch in the DLeague

#15 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 51 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

And in case anyone missed it, this is what he was up to when he was gone:

#16 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 159 posts
                        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

And in case anyone missed it, this is what he was up to when he was gone:

The second shot he took looked identical to Harden's stepback j. Such a thing of beauty. 

#17 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 315 posts
                        • LocationHouston

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

I got curious and looked at shved numbers in philly....he had a 20.0 per this year while there. Now here he's had a 9.5, and its all assists (his shooting is roughly the same) so maybe they were seeing if it would translate and it hasn't? Also...why hasn't in translated? Also...is a 20 per on the sixers more or less impressive because they are so bad at offense? The questions ahhhhh!!!!!!

Also eye test, I think canaan is better so i agree with rahat something going on behind the scenes, but yeah, he didn't look healthy when he came back.

LoSTHieF

#18 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 51 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Shved was intriguing because he's got great physical tools: 6'6", somewhat quick, lanky... maybe Morey wanted to give him a shot predicated on just that. And granted, it is hard to judge a guy based on the haphazard/garbage time he's gotten on a totally new team... but yeah he has def failed both the stats-test and the eye-test so far. And those reports about him wanting to go back to Russia after this year may very well be true.

And if Barea or Felton comes in tonight, I hope they give Canaan a shot on 'em :D

#19 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,125 posts
                          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:39 AM

The impression I get is that Shved is the sort of player that really needs to know the system to be confident. He doesn't look like he knows what he's doing out there with the Rockets, and I suspect that's because he lacks the comfort of understanding the foundational principles of the offence. As a point guard knowing all that stuff is especially important, and it seems like needing to consciously remember all that stuff causes him to forget basic principles (like you know, not getting stripped of the ball, or keeping it in bounds). It's the only explanation I can think of for why he's looked so bad in his stints on the court.

ST

#20 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 315 posts
                          • LocationHouston

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:26 AM

Interesting points st, do you think it is harder for a player like that to pick up a read and react offense because of the stress on quick decision making versus set plays?

LoSTHieF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users