Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (03 January 2015 - 03:24 AM) I'm just glad Papa/Johnson/Canaan got some time? Silver lining??
@  cointurtlemoose : (03 January 2015 - 03:16 AM) Whoof...
@  Mario Peña : (03 January 2015 - 02:43 AM) I'm guessing the team flew in to NOLA yesterday, watched bowl games, hit Temptations and Hustler Club and now are more hungover than hell. Damn them!
@  08huangj : (03 January 2015 - 02:30 AM) Riduculous
@  08huangj : (03 January 2015 - 02:29 AM) LOSING BY 22 POINTS
@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:54 AM) Happy 2015 to all rockets fans
@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:52 AM) James played like a MVP last night
@  Cooper : (29 December 2014 - 02:30 AM) tough game for harden and bev
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) This team is ridiculously talented
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) In Morey We Trust.
@  jorgeaam : (29 December 2014 - 01:05 AM) Corey Brewer beasting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) And Josh Smith starting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) The Lakers claiming Tarik of waivers
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:14 AM) Some nice moves to the basket as well. It seemed like he was more comfortable passing as the game went on; hope that keeps up. Lot of potential with this roster.
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) He definitely helped us in winning that game. Those two offensive rebounds and at the end of OT were massive. Some really great passes as well.
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:05 AM) No, not the only one. But we saw a lot of what Smith brings to the table, too.
@  jorgeaam : (27 December 2014 - 01:37 AM) Am I the only one who cringed while watching Smith pulling up for a last-second 3 Pointer?
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:31 AM) Smith getting good looks at the rim.
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:06 AM) took the clips to 7 in the playoffs last year without him. I think they will adjust but they clearly have taken a step back.
@  Mario Peña : (26 December 2014 - 11:44 PM) I am just finishing up the GS Clips game and the Warriors look pretty weak without Bogut. It's just one game but I'm not impressed by their attempt to circle the wagons.

Photo

San Antonio Spurs 110, Houston Rockets 106: Collapse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:27 AM

New post: San Antonio Spurs 110, Houston Rockets 106: Collapse
    By: Paul McGuire

Red94 has discussed the new-look Rockets a great deal over the past few days, including this excellent podcast by Rahat and Forrest. But tonight, the Rockets looked more like last year’s team than the new variation which has surprised the league this season. Harden, Howard, and another wing carried the Rockets for most of the game and scored practically all of Houston’s points. But after giving the game away late in the fourth quarter, the Rockets failed to execute down the stretch and lost an eminently winnable game despite some last-minute heroics.

And now I am thinking of 0.9 again. Wonderful.

Rahat has mentioned elsewhere and in tonight’s tweets that he believes the Rockets need a secondary shot creator. My perspective is that Houston’s problem is less that of shot creation and more the simple problem of shooting the ball. Creating an open shot does not mean anything if the open man cannot do anything with said shot. And tonight, no one outside of Brewer( who went absolutely bonkers with 25 points and just could not miss) and to a lesser degree Motiejunas could do anything with the opportunities which Harden and Howard created.

Ariza, Terry, and Beverley went 2-17 from beyond the arc. Furthermore, Ariza’s only made 3-pointer occurred when this game was really out of reach. All three of them got wide open opportunities throughout tonight’s game, but were unable to actually hit their shots. Meanwhile, Danny Green, Diaw, and the Spurs got their opportunities courtesy of the Popovich system and did capitalize. It should however be noted in that Green’s case, we did see a return tonight of the old Harden “Pay attention to the ball and not my man” lack of defense.

Shooting at the line is also a problem. As great as Howard was at the rim, he was just 2-7 from the line. But he was not the worst problem. Late in the third quarter, when Houston seemed to be gaining some momentum, the Spurs promptly began hacking Joey Dorsey, who has hit a grand total of 5 free throws for less than 20 percent this season. It was clever. Houston was unable to take Dorsey out because he would be at the foul line, and Dorsey went 1-4 during that stretch. Might other teams follow Popovich’s example over the next few games?

As for Josh Smith? While Smith did not perform nearly as well as against the Grizzlies, you will once again not be able to understand how he played by glancing at the boxscore. Smith was not looking to score for himself. He attempted one 3-pointer, but it might have gone in had Dwight not been called for offensive goaltending. Instead, he focused more on passing and defense, the latter where he was the victim of some questionable calls. I am not sure what to make of his passing game, to tell the truth. Smith has real talent there, though he also forced quite a few passes across his court which contributed to Houston’s 24 turnover tonight. What unnerved me is that Smith’s game tonight reminded me of Terrence Williams – another athletic forward who could pass but tried passes which were out of his league. Smith is not THAT stupid; But while he played much than what the boxscore suggests, it was still not a good game.

Tonight was not the worst loss of the season. However, it was probably the most disconcerting. At the end of the day, the Rockets were facing a Spurs team without Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker and which has matched up poorly against the Rockets in the past. This should have been a win, just like how Houston should have defeated Portland last year. As much as the acquisitions of Brewer and even Smith will help this team, the Rockets are not favorites to make the Finals this year, much less win a championship ( to me, the Thunder remain the favorites despite their struggles this season). McHale and possibly Morey have work to do if this team wants to be playing in June.

#2 Lucas Daniel Uribe

Lucas Daniel Uribe

• Members
    • Pip
    • 16 posts
    • LocationTygh Valley, OR

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:31 AM

Tough loss, we just have to get back to work.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 3,733 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

Tough loss, we just have to get back to work.

Thank you.  This is the correct attitude (in my opinion).

Lots of things went into the final result of this game and isolating a few in the name of self-flagellation just doesn't do it for me.  :unsure:

Watching this game it became clear about mid-way through the fourth that this game was going to remain out of reach.  Everything was going San Antonio's way.  The tough shots were all falling in, the refs calls were....interesting, loose balls ended up in their hands, in fact, it seemed like every ball was magnetically drawn to SA players for a while there.

I give SA credit for coming in with a good game plan and executing it.  They swarmed the ball and forced passes and it seemed like they knew those passes were coming and were in the lanes as soon as the pass left the player's hands (there were some very bad passes made, but this could be a result of hesitation caused by what SA was already doing).  The intentional fouling worked well for a bit.

I am sure many will want to wave the "Bad Josh Smith" flag as high as they can, but he didn't lose this game for us.  No, the 3-11 that Howard/Dorsey mustered from the line was the game changer above all else in my book.  (honestly, I disliked the officiating in this game the most, but I also dislike blaming refs for losses)

Harden had a bad bounce kill a possession late in the game when we were down 3 (and he has been downright lethal in those spots) which sealed our fate.  It happens.  It is not a sign that the trade was bad, we are bad, there are no championship possibilities, we are doomed to lose just like last year...... :wacko: OK then.....

I thought that aside from the cold shooting (which just happens sometimes) and the turnovers we played pretty good on both ends.  I can't count the number of SA possessions that were bailed out by the refs.  Harden went to the line three times.  THREE TIMES.  Hmmmmm, I'm pretty sure that in the league they call that "home cooking".  Last night we had to eat some San Antonio puffy tacos and it has left us all with a bad taste in our mouths.

20110602-texas-diana-primary.jpg

This was Popovich and the Spurs last night...serving it up with a smile.   :(

#4 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 50 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

I am not freaking out about this lost. People can say that we should've won this game but the Spurs brought their A - Game. The Spurs made some crucial buckets when the shot clock was low. Danny Green worked harder than James Harden. And the hack a Dorsey really stopped the momentum we were building.

By the way, was I the only thinking the hack a player was not allowed under 2 minutes at the end of each quarter? Is it just the fourth?

Besides the turnovers, I believe we were in the penalty early in the 3rd and 2nd quarters but we never drove to the basket. Josh Smith and Ariza need to attack more, especially Ariza, when his shot isn't falling. 

The Josh Smith experiment is going to be an interesting one. We can sit here and say he only had 4 turnovers compared to Harden's 9, but those turnovers in the 2nd quarter really jump started the Spurs. 

#5 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
      • Pip
      • 29 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

^Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too about the hacking... maybe it is just the fourth? And as far as Smith goes, I'm okay with that at this point. He seems to be in the learning process of where guys like to be on the court.

It was a tough one to lose, but I wouldn't exactly equate it with the Portland series games. On both ends in the half court, as far as positioning and execution go, I honestly thought we looked pretty decent. It was those two bunches of turnovers, in the second and in the fourth, that really turned the tide. And of course us missing FTs and WIDE open threes that we were able to produce.

Is Ariza's long slump something to worry about, or is it just 'a slump'? He is averaging almost 8 attempts per game...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users