Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:54 AM) Happy 2015 to all rockets fans
@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:52 AM) James played like a MVP last night
@  Cooper : (29 December 2014 - 02:30 AM) tough game for harden and bev
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) This team is ridiculously talented
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) In Morey We Trust.
@  jorgeaam : (29 December 2014 - 01:05 AM) Corey Brewer beasting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) And Josh Smith starting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) The Lakers claiming Tarik of waivers
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:14 AM) Some nice moves to the basket as well. It seemed like he was more comfortable passing as the game went on; hope that keeps up. Lot of potential with this roster.
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) He definitely helped us in winning that game. Those two offensive rebounds and at the end of OT were massive. Some really great passes as well.
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:05 AM) No, not the only one. But we saw a lot of what Smith brings to the table, too.
@  jorgeaam : (27 December 2014 - 01:37 AM) Am I the only one who cringed while watching Smith pulling up for a last-second 3 Pointer?
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:31 AM) Smith getting good looks at the rim.
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:06 AM) took the clips to 7 in the playoffs last year without him. I think they will adjust but they clearly have taken a step back.
@  Mario Peña : (26 December 2014 - 11:44 PM) I am just finishing up the GS Clips game and the Warriors look pretty weak without Bogut. It's just one game but I'm not impressed by their attempt to circle the wagons.
@  SadLakerFan : (25 December 2014 - 07:37 PM) OK. That's the move. Rockets are all in this season with Smith. Good risk.
@  08huangj : (25 December 2014 - 01:04 PM) Another christmas present for us fans: Jones can do running and jumping drills now.
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) Merry Christmas guys!
@  RudyT1995 : (24 December 2014 - 11:21 PM) Another lefty! Merry Christmas!
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:14 PM) It seems he was assured he would become the starter

Photo

My Christmas Present - A Really Beautiful New SportsVU Tool

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:25 AM

We are all children at heart. And we all love presents. Preferably incredibly techie all out cool presents that allow our own personal hobbies to take a major step forward. My hobby, in case you had not noticed is NBA basketball. Rockets basketball in particular.

I do not know about you, but I personally find it difficult to completely track NBA offenses and defenses. Players are flying all over the court, movement is incredibly fast, and I easily lose track of who is exactly where. Frame by frame analysis is tedious and I find myself with a pen and paper drawing circles on the page.

Well on Christmas day I found myself futzing around with SportsVE data. Another hobby of mine. And then lo and behold I unwrapped my own very best Christmas present ever (except perhaps that $400 sous vide cooker my girlfriend got me this year). Let us take a peak.

I went and looked this morning at all of Smith's made shots in the Memphis game. Graphically. With each players number artfully painted on a little circle that I did not have to doodle on a piece of paper.

In the above image we see Brewer acting like a swivel for the Rockets almost at half court. Fast break protection and outlet target. We see Harden as the center of the offensive set at the FT line. Bev is camping out in the corner for the step back three. Dorsey is weak side and we have Smith with the ball near the restricted area. And there is that little gold circle that is the ball that is about to get flushed in 0.25 seconds.

I am going to go play with new toy. I do hope you enjoy playing with it too. It is really ground breaking in NBA play visualization. Here is the link I was working with. Merry Christmas everyone.

http://on.nba.com/1468v3g

Edited by NorEastern, 28 December 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#2 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 288 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:53 AM

OK. Why can I not further edit this post? I was going to add a small section detailing some of the obvious things that could be drawn from these images. Especially in relation to how the ball and a player like Harden can warp a NBA defense to the breaking point. OK. It was not going to be a small addition.

Edited by NorEastern, 28 December 2014 - 02:54 AM.

#3 Steven

Steven

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,944 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:31 AM

You can only edit once, and if someone posts before you want to edit it, you are not allowed.

#4 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 288 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:33 AM

What do you see in the image above? I see an excellent Memphis defense that has collapsed into the paint while still maintaining the ability to close out on shooters. The classic Coach Thib 2.9. Four, count them four players in the paint, none of which is going to be called for a three second violation. 

Taking a look at that image I immediately wonder what would happen if the Rockets shifted Brewer (33) over behind the three point line strong side. I would expect the Griz to move 21 strong side shaded hard to Smith. Thus the easy double team on the ball. It really is a joy to look at a great NBA defensive team's strategies.

I have seen some very explicit examples of what SportsVU offers to NBA teams. One of the most useful additions that we fans cannot access is the actual spacing between players. I am sitting at my monitor with a little six inch plastic ruler to indicate spacing to me. Knowing the overall court dimensions makes this actually pretty easy.

Shape. And spacing. That describes both the offensive and defensive strategies in the NBA. SportsVU is absolutely unparalleled at showing shape. The triangles, with two offensive players around the rim actually describe the vast majority of offensive sets in the NBA. The one set not dependent on that shape is the DDMO. No formation is better adapted to clearing out guard driving lanes than the DDMO. I will publish an image the next time I see one.

What we see daily watching the NBA is not the chaotic tangle of athletes we imagine. It actually is more like a choreographed Bolshoi ballet. Every player has a position he must be at on the court. If one player fails to be there, the entire system quickly breaks down. The Griz almost never break down on defense. It is a beautiful thing to watch.

#5 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 288 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

You can only edit once, and if someone posts before you want to edit it, you are not allowed.

Well, that just sort of kinda sucks.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 3,733 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

OK. Why can I not further edit this post? I was going to add a small section detailing some of the obvious things that could be drawn from these images. Especially in relation to how the ball and a player like Harden can warp a NBA defense to the breaking point. OK. It was not going to be a small addition.

There is a 5 minute limit on editing posts which starts once you submit the post.  This was implemented for a reason which I will not get into.

A way around it is to simply quote your own post and make whatever adjustments/additions you desire in the new one.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  

As for the new toy, that is awesome!

#7 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 288 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

TAKE 2  Sill learning the red94 protocols.

We are all children at heart. And we all love presents. Preferably incredibly techie all out cool presents that allow our own personal hobbies to take a major step forward. My hobby, in case you had not noticed is NBA basketball. Rockets basketball in particular.

I do not know about you, but I personally find it difficult to completely track NBA offenses and defenses. Players are flying all over the court, movement is incredibly fast, and I easily lose track of who is exactly where. Frame by frame analysis is tedious and I find myself with a pen and paper drawing circles on the page.

Well on Christmas day I found myself futzing around with SportsVE data. Another hobby of mine. And then lo and behold I unwrapped my own very best Christmas present ever (except perhaps that $400 sous vide cooker my girlfriend got me this year). Let us take a peak.

I went and looked this morning at all of Smith's made shots in the Memphis game. Graphically. With each players number artfully painted on a little circle that I did not have to doodle on a piece of paper.

What actually happens on a Rockets fast break? Take a look  at the image below at 1.9 seconds into the shot clock after a Memphis miss.

We can see clearly that Poindexter(8) has lost contact with Smith(5). If you get out a ruler you can see that Smith is being trailed by almost six feet while running towards the hoop. Uhrih(19) is over eight feet from Smith and not nearly wide enough to impede Smith's route to the basket. Harden(13) has already made the pass to Smith and there is no way that Poindester(8) can catch Smith and Udrih's(19) only hope is to intercept Smith at the rim. Smith then has a little lay in for the bucket.

What we see daily watching the NBA is not the chaotic tangle of athletes we imagine. It actually is more like a choreographed Bolshoi ballet. Every player has a position he must be at on the court. If one player fails to be there, the entire system quickly breaks down. The Griz almost never break down on defense. It is a beautiful thing to watch.

What do you see in the image above? I see an excellent Memphis defense that has collapsed into the paint while still maintaining the ability to close out on shooters. The classic Coach Thib 2.9. Four, count them four players in the paint, none of which is going to be called for a three second violation. The problem is that with even with four defenders in the paint the hard double has not yet come from Gasol(33), who is still standing weak side guarding no one. The result of this error is predictable.

Overall in the above image we see Brewer acting like a swivel for the Rockets almost at half court. Fast break protection and outlet target. We see Harden at the center of the offensive set at the FT line. Bev is camping out in the corner for the step back three. Dorsey is weak side and we have Smith with the ball near the restricted area. And there is that little gold circle that is the ball that is about to get flushed in 0.25 seconds.

I have seen some very explicit examples of what SportsVU offers to NBA teams. One of the most useful additions that we fans cannot access is the actual spacing between players. I am sitting at my monitor with a little six inch plastic ruler to indicate spacing to me. Knowing the overall court dimensions makes this actually pretty easy.

Shape. And spacing. That describes both the offensive and defensive strategies in the NBA. SportsVU is absolutely unparalleled at showing shape. The triangles, with two offensive players around the rim actually describe the vast majority of offensive sets in the NBA. The one set not dependent on that shape is the DDMO. No formation is better adapted to clearing out guard driving lanes than the DDMO. I will publish an image the next time I see one.

http://on.nba.com/1468v3g

#8 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,111 posts
              • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

Wow, this is a really useful tool that I had no idea was available to the public! Awesome :). Thanks for sharing NorEastern!

ST

#9 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 288 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

Wow, this is a really useful tool that I had no idea was available to the public! Awesome :). Thanks for sharing NorEastern!

ST

My pleasure sir. You all have shared so much with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users