Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:14 AM) Some nice moves to the basket as well. It seemed like he was more comfortable passing as the game went on; hope that keeps up. Lot of potential with this roster.
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) He definitely helped us in winning that game. Those two offensive rebounds and at the end of OT were massive. Some really great passes as well.
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:05 AM) No, not the only one. But we saw a lot of what Smith brings to the table, too.
@  jorgeaam : (27 December 2014 - 01:37 AM) Am I the only one who cringed while watching Smith pulling up for a last-second 3 Pointer?
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:31 AM) Smith getting good looks at the rim.
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:06 AM) took the clips to 7 in the playoffs last year without him. I think they will adjust but they clearly have taken a step back.
@  Mario Peña : (26 December 2014 - 11:44 PM) I am just finishing up the GS Clips game and the Warriors look pretty weak without Bogut. It's just one game but I'm not impressed by their attempt to circle the wagons.
@  SadLakerFan : (25 December 2014 - 07:37 PM) OK. That's the move. Rockets are all in this season with Smith. Good risk.
@  08huangj : (25 December 2014 - 01:04 PM) Another christmas present for us fans: Jones can do running and jumping drills now.
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) Merry Christmas guys!
@  RudyT1995 : (24 December 2014 - 11:21 PM) Another lefty! Merry Christmas!
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:14 PM) It seems he was assured he would become the starter
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:11 PM) Josh Smith has committed to signing with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He clears waivers at 5 PM today.
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:10 PM) How about this for a christmas surprise? From Wojnarowski:
@  Mario Peña : (24 December 2014 - 05:39 PM) Right, not a good Christmas surprise for my friend rockets best fan.
@  YaoMan : (24 December 2014 - 04:57 PM) Interesting news. I think it's good but RBF may not like it... ;)
@  Mario Peña : (24 December 2014 - 04:50 PM) Just in from Stein, McHale gets big three year deal with no team options.
@  Mario Peña : (24 December 2014 - 04:49 PM) I hear you Yaoman , at least Dallas and GS lost.
@  YaoMan : (24 December 2014 - 04:24 PM) Mario, if hot head Russell could have hit both free throws, Lilard's shot would have been moot...
@  Mario Peña : (24 December 2014 - 06:42 AM) Totally enjoyed the Lakeshow taking the Warriors down, if only the Thunder could have held on.

Photo

Goodbye Troy Daniels, Thanks for the Memory

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

We will always remember you heroic performance against the Trailblazers last playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/n...houston-rockets

Edited by Steven, 19 December 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#2 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 125 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:07 AM

Good shout out for Troy. Like I said in the shout out, I like him a lot but Corey Brewer is a 3 and D and slasher that makes the Rockets that much better and adds depth in the back court. This will probably reduce Canaan's burn time some more though...

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 3,725 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

I will miss Troy and the feeling that every three he throws up is going in no matter what.  I hope he develops into a solid player for Minnesota.

I feel like this trade definitely hurts Canaan's minutes.  Shved is 6' 6" and can play the 1 or the 2.  His overall 3 pt% isn't very good, but he has proven to be adept shooting the corner three.

A group of Johnson, Shved, and Brewer as reserves on the wings is pretty decent defensively.

I know many still think we need another big man, but I think we're legitimately 13 deep now with players who can step in and contribute any given night.  Getting Jones back is going to be a huge boon for us.  

831022824.gif

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,543 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Another guy that everyone thought would be a key part of the team who amounted to nothing. (See: Greg smith).

#5 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 114 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

Troy Daniels' shot is a lot like Chris Burke's home run for those of you who follow the Astros. 

As far as your comment Rahat, don't you think we would be better off trotting out Greg Smith than Joey Dorsey? I know he hasn't amounted to anything, but he would be an upgrade there. 

#6 Steven

Steven

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

Troy Daniels' shot is a lot like Chris Burke's home run for those of you who follow the Astros.

As far as your comment Rahat, don't you think we would be better off trotting out Greg Smith than Joey Dorsey? I know he hasn't amounted to anything, but he would be an upgrade there.

Greg Smith is a waste of a roster spot. My 5'0" 75 lbs 87 year old grandma deserves to be the backup center over Greg Smith.

#7 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 125 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

@JG, would Smith be a suitable front court help that you spoke of earlier in this post? He can do that slam that TJ did in your GIF and I believe his defense is far better than TJ. My only concern is his usage rate and shot selection...I would say the Rox go for it on Smith...

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,725 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

@JG, would Smith be a suitable front court help that you spoke of earlier in this post? He can do that slam that TJ did in your GIF and I believe his defense is far better than TJ. My only concern is his usage rate and shot selection...I would say the Rox go for it on Smith...

Well, I was speaking on what others were saying we needed.  I'm of the opinion that we are good enough without adding another big (presuming TJ comes back).  That being said, if you can pick up Josh Smith for $2M and change on a short-term deal you do it.  His rep is worse than Harden's defensive rep.  Yet, high level, well respected GM's are lining up to sign this guy.  What does that tell you?  Don't listen to what people say on the internet.

Don't sweat Smith's usg rate nor his shot selection.  He's not coming here to be a star or carry a team or anything else that we have learned he is not capable of.  If he comes here it will be to play hard core defense, run the break, make killer cuts and destroy people in the lane on both ends of the floor.  He'll shoot some long two's and some three's, but not that many.

I'm not holding my breath on this one.  I don't think this is a move we HAVE to make.  I think it is one we should make, but Morey may see it differently and if so I trust his rationale for doing so.

Morey has spent years getting this team so close to perfect.  He's not about to let a bull into the china shop.

I think Smith would destroy opposing defenses.  With so much attention being given to Harden, Howard, and Motie he can do what he does best--cut hard to the basket, catch the ball running and throw it down hard.  (funny enough, his bad shooting helps open up those cutting lanes.  Defenders often lose track of him on the perimeter since they lag off so far.)

Aside from that, Smith is also adept at dribble penetration, high post offense, low post offense, creating for others, and just about everything else (except those long shots!!!).  They'll get him to focus on the good and leave the bad alone....mostly.  ;)

#9 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 125 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

Well, I was speaking on what others were saying we needed.  I'm of the opinion that we are good enough without adding another big (presuming TJ comes back).  That being said, if you can pick up Josh Smith for $2M and change on a short-term deal you do it.  His rep is worse than Harden's defensive rep.  Yet, high level, well respected GM's are lining up to sign this guy.  What does that tell you?  Don't listen to what people say on the internet.

Don't sweat Smith's usg rate nor his shot selection.  He's not coming here to be a star or carry a team or anything else that we have learned he is not capable of.  If he comes here it will be to play hard core defense, run the break, make killer cuts and destroy people in the lane on both ends of the floor.  He'll shoot some long two's and some three's, but not that many.

I'm not holding my breath on this one.  I don't think this is a move we HAVE to make.  I think it is one we should make, but Morey may see it differently and if so I trust his rationale for doing so.

Morey has spent years getting this team so close to perfect.  He's not about to let a bull into the china shop.

I think Smith would destroy opposing defenses.  With so much attention being given to Harden, Howard, and Motie he can do what he does best--cut hard to the basket, catch the ball running and throw it down hard.  (funny enough, his bad shooting helps open up those cutting lanes.  Defenders often lose track of him on the perimeter since they lag off so far.)

Aside from that, Smith is also adept at dribble penetration, high post offense, low post offense, creating for others, and just about everything else (except those long shots!!!).  They'll get him to focus on the good and leave the bad alone....mostly.  ;)

Agreed. I don't think they have to make this either but I believe it's one worth going for and pursuing. I can only imagine how formidable the front court defense can be with an addition of a player of Smith's caliber. And I think he would be a great slasher too...

#10 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,105 posts
                • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

I've actually been very impressed by Dorsey's defence recently. He did a better job of defending Gasol than Howard did last night, for instance. Smith would definitely be an upgrade offensively, but he was a sieve defensively to the extent that McHale was unable to put him on the floor in the playoffs. I'd prefer my centres to be able to defend if given a choice between the two.

ST

#11 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 155 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

I've actually been very impressed by Dorsey's defence recently. He did a better job of defending Gasol than Howard did last night, for instance. Smith would definitely be an upgrade offensively, but he was a sieve defensively to the extent that McHale was unable to put him on the floor in the playoffs. I'd prefer my centres to be able to defend if given a choice between the two.

ST

I want to second the notion that Dorsey has been pretty solid defensively lately. Last night he gave Gasol fits when Dwight was having by far his worst game of the season. Gasol was working over Dwight in the post, and with the midrange. McHale went with Dorsey, and I was expecting Gasol to handle him with ease. Dorsey's quickness really bothered Gasol for the next 4 or 5 plays. That stretch was really the first time the Rockets were able to make and run, and we cut the lead to single digits. Obviously Dorsey will still get owned by some better centers here and there, and people will call for his head and want the FO to bring in another back-up center. The reality is, he has been huge for us in both wins against Memphis, and his defense has been superb against Gasol. If he can be consistent with the fronting/pressure he showed last night, I am alright with having him as our 4th big until Jones comes back. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users