Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:54 AM) Happy 2015 to all rockets fans
@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:52 AM) James played like a MVP last night
@  Cooper : (29 December 2014 - 02:30 AM) tough game for harden and bev
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) This team is ridiculously talented
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) In Morey We Trust.
@  jorgeaam : (29 December 2014 - 01:05 AM) Corey Brewer beasting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) And Josh Smith starting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) The Lakers claiming Tarik of waivers
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:14 AM) Some nice moves to the basket as well. It seemed like he was more comfortable passing as the game went on; hope that keeps up. Lot of potential with this roster.
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) He definitely helped us in winning that game. Those two offensive rebounds and at the end of OT were massive. Some really great passes as well.
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:05 AM) No, not the only one. But we saw a lot of what Smith brings to the table, too.
@  jorgeaam : (27 December 2014 - 01:37 AM) Am I the only one who cringed while watching Smith pulling up for a last-second 3 Pointer?
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:31 AM) Smith getting good looks at the rim.
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:06 AM) took the clips to 7 in the playoffs last year without him. I think they will adjust but they clearly have taken a step back.
@  Mario Peña : (26 December 2014 - 11:44 PM) I am just finishing up the GS Clips game and the Warriors look pretty weak without Bogut. It's just one game but I'm not impressed by their attempt to circle the wagons.
@  SadLakerFan : (25 December 2014 - 07:37 PM) OK. That's the move. Rockets are all in this season with Smith. Good risk.
@  08huangj : (25 December 2014 - 01:04 PM) Another christmas present for us fans: Jones can do running and jumping drills now.
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) Merry Christmas guys!
@  RudyT1995 : (24 December 2014 - 11:21 PM) Another lefty! Merry Christmas!
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:14 PM) It seems he was assured he would become the starter

Photo

Houston Rockets 108, Denver Nuggets 96: Not just the Big Two now.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:31 AM

New post: Houston Rockets 108, Denver Nuggets 96: Not just the Big Two now.
    By: Paul McGuire

James Harden grabbed the third triple double of his career (though to be fair, the Rockets frittered the last two minutes of the game away trying to get Harden the final rebound, and then he nearly lost it to Troy Daniels). Dwight Howard roared back into action after missing nearly a month of basketball and finished with 26 points and 13 rebounds in 30 minutes. But my favorite statistic is that for the first time this season, three Rockets scored more than 20 points in a game. Howard, Harden with 25, and Donatas Motiejunas with a career high 25.

And it was Motiejunas who turned this game around. The Rockets started off slow and fell behind by double digits to Denver by the first quarter. They shot 1 for 10 in the paint during the first quarter, and Houston’s offense seemed confused by Denver’s long arms and athleticism. But Motiejunas scored seven straight points in the second quarter and 13 in that period to spark a Rockets run which would keep them ahead for the rest of the game. Denver attempted a rally late in the third quarter and came within 5, but Houston countered early in the fourth quarter and was not seriously threatened for the rest of the game.

Motiejunas’s success is just as good of a sign for Houston as Dwight’s comeback. There have been concerns about whether Motiejunas would continue to thrive as he has done for the past few weeks with the return of Howard. Would Howard’s return clog up the paint? Would he demand touches which would otherwise go to D-Mo? Would playing two seven-footers work as poorly as it did with Howard and Asik last season?

But there were no problems at all tonight. Motiejunas and Howard did spend a great deal of time not playing alongside one another, but they were also successful otherwise. Motiejunas is nowhere near Asik’s level defensively, but he does not have oven mitts for hands and is a better passer. These Twin Towers function far better compared to Asik and Howard.

Aside from Motiejunas, Howard was a terror tonight. As Houston has continued to thrive defensively even without Howard, there have been questions about whether Howard’s defensive impact is as large as generally assumed. But the difference between Howard and his replacements tonight were obvious to anyone who cared to see. Motiejunas, Joey Dorsey, and Tarik Black may possess some rebounding and defensive capabilities. But when Wilson Chandler is driving to the paint in the third, he does not stop, think again, and then throw an errant pass to Ty Lawson if those players are in front of him. He does do if Howard is in front of him, as he demonstrated in the third quarter.

Howard also dominated Denver’s big men by keeping them in continual foul trouble. Nuggets backup center Jusuf Nurkic fouled out after playing just 18 minutes, and starting center Timofey Mozgov picked up 5 fouls in 14 minutes. The fouls may keep Dwight on the line, where he shot just 8-17 from the charity stripe tonight. However, even the best centers have no value if they cannot stay on the court - something Rockets fans know all too well with Yao Ming. The fouls also get Houston in the penalty earlier, a terrific combination with Harden and his foul-drawing ways.

As for Harden? It should be noted that Howard’s return barely reduced Harden’s and Ariza’s minutes. But not all minutes are created equal. Harden’s reputation as a miserable defender resulted because he had a tendency to rest and lose track of his man while playing defense. While he played a lot tonight, he was not as active nor did he touch the ball as often as he did over the past several games. This is a good thing – it will ensure that Harden has a moment to catch his breath and does not collapse later this season under the immense burden he has had to carry this year.

December will continue to be a challenging stretch for the Rockets, but the team has developed from its battle with injuries and the team will continue to grow healthier over the coming days. Canaan will likely be ready by the next game on Wednesday and Papanikolaou is possible as well.

#2 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 147 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

Great win, by a full lineup. Unfortunately it looks like the Clips and Thunder are both back on track. The West will be a war.

#3 Steven

Steven

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,944 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

Lineup still isn't full though. Still missing Canaan, Jones and Papanikoloa.

#4 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,623 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

Clips just had 2 bad losses with CP being a turnover-machine.

#5 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,623 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

On another note, has anyone thought of using the TPE for Wilson Chandler? Denver has had rumors of trading him to open up roster space and minutes for their other players (mainly Gali), along with amassing draft picks. 

Chandler is two way Swiss army knife that can guard 1-4 positions while being a good slasher, and great shooter at about 38% from the 3 with 6 attempts per game. He's also an excellent defensive rebounder for a wing and would provide a legit backup to ariza/harden, and can be a small ball stretch 4; overall extremely versatile player. A combination of ariza and chandler would be a devastating shut down wing defender combination in the playoffs for KD, Klay, batum/mathews, lebron or butler (because we're going that far obviously). (As a side note Wilson's contract is 6,757,913 thus leaving about 1.54m left in the TPE, enough to trade for a minor player just above minimum like Ronny turiaf.)

Now I can't really pinpoint the price for Chandler, since this is a TPE, no players can be sent out and Denver doesn't want any to begin with. Could the master morey tradesman get away with a couple high seconds for chandler? Possibly or maybe the rockets 2017 1st, but Morey doesn't really seem to be one in dealing away future 1sts, and I doubt he would sacrifice the pelicans pick.

If a trade were to happen we would have to cut someone since we are at maximum roster capacity, which the obvious two choice are either daniels or garcia. Now I'm hoping daniels can still become a contributor as he hit 2 major 3s at the end of the Sacramento to help get us back into the game, while garcia has contributed absolutely nothing  along with his shooting dropping off a cliff. However the coaching staff have made it known they love him, so could they just Josh Powell him, cut and add him to the coaching staff as I doubt any team has interest in a free agent Garcia right now.

Rotation:

Beverley/cannan/Johnson

Harden/Terry/daniels

Ariza/Chandler

Dmo/Papa

Howard/black/dorsey/capela

Jones's position whether starting or bench player to be decided when healthy. 

This would make for a rather stacked team, a little lacking on size in their backup bigs, but make up for it in energy, offensive rebounding, defense, shooting, and positional versatility across the board for most of the team.

Thoughts?

Edited by Buckko, 14 December 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 3,733 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

Sorry, Buckko.  I appreciate what you are aiming for but there are so many "no's" in there.  Chandler doesn't want to come here and get spot minutes or hope for an injury.  Denver isn't going to hand him over for nothing because he is a very good, useful player.  What are they going to do with our lousy draft picks?  I can tell you one thing: they aren't going to get a better player than Wilson.

Morey is holding on to the Pellies pick--that bait is for a bigger fish.

I like the idea a bit.  He would be our Draymond Green.  As for Turiaf--once again, we have to cut someone.  Also, he is very injury prone...including right now.  (he's only played in 2 games this season for a total of 19 minutes).  He's on an expiring deal and Minny doesn't want our lousy second rounder (surely we aren't giving up a first).

Personally, I'm not into making a move this season.  Our roster is good (when healthy).  This off season will give us the opportunity to make any necessary upgrades.  I know Garcia has been a major disappointment for most people, but I still like having him on the squad.  We'll be glad to have him once the playoffs roll around.

#7 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,623 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

My only concern is we are simply playing ariza (along with harden) too many minutes, and outside of harden ariza is probably the most irreplaceable right now.  If he goes down, we are left with a black hole at the wing. 

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,733 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:02 AM

Well, when Papa and Garcia are back that will help.  Like I said before, Garcia has been shooting pretty bad lately, but he can still play.  That is why Ariza has been playing as much as he has, in my opinion.  If you look at his game logs he didn't start the season playing that much...it's been a necessity because of our situation.

#9 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:08 AM

Its hard to believe in Garcia, might just be a slump but he's at the point in his career where he might just not have it anymore. Chandler/Brewer or whatever wing thats available is worth a look but there seems to be a few teams (okc, sac, clev, char) looking to add guys which might price us out. 

#10 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,111 posts
                • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

I was really impressed by what I saw from Nurkic last night. He looks really athletic for a 7 footer and caused all sorts of problems when he was on the court. As he matures and learns to get his foul counts down, he's going to be a really good player for Denver. When he an Faried were on the court last night they were blocking shots all over the place!

Nice to see Howard back - he looked a bit rusty on offence but I guess that's to be expected. The team looked good once they kicked into gear and once they got that lead they didn't really seem like they were going to give it up. It's nice to feel confident that they can hold the lead like that :). Now they've got some time to rest before playing the Nuggets again, hopefully with the same result.

ST

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 3,733 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:02 PM

Its hard to believe in Garcia, might just be a slump but he's at the point in his career where he might just not have it anymore. Chandler/Brewer or whatever wing thats available is worth a look but there seems to be a few teams (okc, sac, clev, char) looking to add guys which might price us out. 

Don't forget it was only a few months ago that he tore up FIBA in Spain.  He shot 64% from deep, 58% from inside the arc for 18 ppg and threw in 3 rebs, 2 ast, 1 stl and 1 blk per.  

While it's possible his body deteriorated between then and now what is more likely is he hit a slump and has a nagging injury.  He'll be ready come playoff time--which is his true value to the team aside from mentoring.

His $1.3M contract is very cap-friendly and, to me, demonstrates a desire to be here and fulfill a particular role for us.  He could have gotten more money elsewhere if he wanted.  He's only played 14 games.  I think it's funny that people won't give D-Mo an inch due to small sample size, but 'Cisco has 14 rough games (despite a long career with a 36% lifetime 3pt%) and he's a bum.  Not saying you feel that way about D-Mo, but this seems to be the general consensus among fans.

Cisco's got a calf/achilles strain.  Hard to make long jump shots with an injury like that.  If it looks like the injury is going to persist I imagine he will be glad to step aside so the Rockets can replace him.  Otherwise, he'll be back and he'll find his usual stroke.  Besides, we're going to need him when teams try to punk us in the playoffs.  Beverley can't be the only one ready and willing to throw down for us.

FranciscoGarciaDeathStare.gif

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 3,733 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

There's also this one....John Lucas quickly decided he didn't want any part of 'Cisco  :lol: Smart man.

letsgowhyioughta.gif

#13 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 72 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:18 AM

There's also this one....John Lucas quickly decided he didn't want any part of 'Cisco :lol: Smart man.

letsgowhyioughta.gif

I love that last one. He didn't even get the ball stolen from him. Just didn't like Lucas trying to punk his rookie! I don't want to trade Garcia but if we need a roster spot for a fit and motivated Okafor then Garcia can get paid like Tony Robbins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users