Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RocketMan : (26 June 2015 - 05:46 PM) I'll take them. No complaints. Dekker can score. Other guy will catch lobs all day.
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 03:23 AM) So Dekker and Harrell were ranked 16 & 17 in Chad Ford's rankings, solid draft
@  txtdo1411 : (26 June 2015 - 03:11 AM) Nevermind. Should have known we were getting another 6-8 PF. I do like his tenacity. Versatility is definitely the theme here.
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 03:08 AM) Called it
@  txtdo1411 : (26 June 2015 - 03:02 AM) Jo young reminds me of an Isaiah Canaan type of player with a tad bit more height. Would it be a reach at 32?
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:55 AM) Ok, I'll stop calling out players
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:52 AM) Montrezl Harrell and Kevon Looney (who many projected to be a lottery pick) still on the board, I'd say Rockets get one of them if available, specially Looney
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:45 AM) Nevermind about RJ :(
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:43 AM) They got Larry Nance Jr. he was projected as a late 2nd rounder
@  majik19 : (26 June 2015 - 02:42 AM) let's see who the Lakers get with the Jeremy Lin pick
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:41 AM) RJ Hunter*
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:41 AM) Some interesting players left, specially Rk
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:38 AM) I'm still waiting for Morey to make a trade that will blow our minds
@  majik19 : (26 June 2015 - 02:29 AM) well i guess PG wasn't as big a need as we thought. Big sign that Beverly is going to be resigned?
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:24 AM) Oh, he got traded to Minnessota
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:13 AM) But I must say Tyus looks like the kind of players the Spurs will grab
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 02:03 AM) Tyus might still be at 32
@  Cooper : (26 June 2015 - 01:51 AM) instantly wrong
@  Cooper : (26 June 2015 - 01:48 AM) Wright might still be there at 32
@  jorgeaam : (26 June 2015 - 01:46 AM) Grant is going to the Knicks for Tim Hardaway, so maybe Tyus

Photo

The McFail Myth

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,032 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

Let's do it.  I'm re-opening this can of worms.  I thought about dredging up the old "Worship at the Altar of McHale" Thread, but after seeing no one had posted in it since July of '13 I figured a new thread was better.

What led me to this dubious decision?  This interesting article right here: LINK

It is a study that attempts to discern the improvement teams make from their usual half-court sets to sets which immediately follow a time out (typically also half-court sets).  The stats come from Synergy.  Take a second, click on over and scroll about 2/3 the way down to the chart and see Houston sitting comfortably in 3rd among all teams in net increase.

How many times have we lamented our out of bounds plays?  Yet, here we have some mathematical evidence which completely contradicts popular opinion.

Even better than that is our defense.  We lead the league in "defense out of timeouts" and, once again, come in third on the net defense.

99818-well-there-it-is-gif-response-zXO1

Now, there is plenty to dissect here.  This list is based off of just less than 1/4 of an NBA season.  The article itself points out that last season, "Houston was at the bottom of the league in net ATO change, going from a sterling 82.1 to 104.6".

So, what's different?  What changed?  Moving past the obvious answer of personnel, focus, attitude, experience, etc., I will concede that McHale has improved some from last season to now--he too is learning and growing--but I also think his message has been the same since day 1.  It has just taken a while to get the guys to buy in--for various reasons--and to get the right personnel to execute what he wants from his players.

In his time here, McHale has fashioned a top 5 offense and, now, a top 5 defense.  The next logical step is to find the balance to put the two together.  Maybe not top 5 in both, but top 10 in both (and top 5 in one) is very good and I think attainable with this roster.

Recently, I brought up the question of McHale's legitimate claim to Coach of the Year (based on the season so far).  Our 14-4 record, given everything we have dealt with (including a 6-3 record against teams with winning records) is very impressive.

I think it is getting more and more difficult for people to lobby against McHale's coaching abilities.  The past is all they have to point to.  That is no better than Kobe's fan-mob who continue to claim he is the best SG in the league based on what he was--not what he has become.

I have pointed to Doc Rivers in the past as an example of a coach who was on the hot seat, fans were calling for his head, and he was widely considered a bum....and then he got the right players and somehow transformed into a championship caliber coach who is a tactical genius.  Hmmmmm, interesting....

Personally, I don't think the vast majority of fans are qualified to discern good coaching from bad coaching (myself included).  It's fun to discuss it, but it is mostly just idle chatter because there is just so much we don't know--especially when looking at things in a microcosm as is often the case.

Yet, here we sit.  It's now year 4 of McHale's tenure in Houston.  He has posted 4 winning seasons with each one having a higher win% than the last (as of 12/4/14).  Each season the team shows up having made huge strides in the areas that needed it.  Each season, players have improved and developed their individual as well as team play.

By no means am I saying that all of the credit for Houston's success falls on him.  That's as erroneous as piling all of their failures on his shoulders (as many choose to do).

People have been clamoring to "be more like the Spurs" (I call these people, Sprockets  :P ).  Well, it sure looks like we are edging closer and closer to that Holy Grail, doesn't it?  From top to bottom this organization is building itself into the perfect model for the NBA moving forward.

I can feel the ire of those who are not McHale fans building.   :angry: 

Just look at his play off record!

Are you really comparing him to Pop?!?!?  (quick answer: NO)

He's just a puppet for Morey!

This is all about Harden and his experience with Team USA!

He's only here for recruiting!  It's Bickerstaff and Dunn making all this happen!

He can't manage his roster and is running Harden into the ground!  Doesn't trust rookies!  Relies on vets too much!  He's too slow to react!

I'm sure there's more, but I think this list is good enough.  Interesting choice of words, "good enough"--that's something McHale will never be in the eyes of many.  Yet, if we stop and look around at the big picture it is hard to argue that Kevin McHale has been a very, very good coach for us and I believe he is going to get better.  I can't wait for him to get this playoff monkey off his back....

...and the McFail Contingent says:

1001621_560406364011572_715917055_n.jpg

...which may be true.  Time will tell on this one.  Still, this team is looking more and more like a playoff nightmare for our opponents.  If we can hit the second season healthy I think the sky is the limit.

Mostly, I just want to recognize the man who is doing a great job for us.  Here's to you, big guy!  :wub:

kevin_mchale1.jpg

#2 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:57 PM

I agree that McHate has been overstated by some in the past. I think our coach has done a very good job considering the circumstances laid at his feet, from the revolving door of players in his first couple of seasons, to incorporating Howard into the offense last year, to the slew of injuries this season. I'm a believer that McHale is a good coach and that he's improving each season. The whole team will be judged based on the playoffs after last years disappointing exit, but inasmuch as it's in their power to flip the script from last year during the regular season, I think the Rockets and McHale are proving themselves.

#3 Willk

Willk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:08 AM

McHale deserves credit for what he is doing. Very few on this forum ever gave him credit for what he has done (only people I can think of are JG and Mario Pena). Before the start of the season Morey tweeted that the rockets were 4th in average points scored after timeouts. It is true that they were also near the bottom in points allowed after timeouts. It is amazing that with better defensive talent the rockets are not near the bottom anymore. I am l looking forward to McHale improving along with the team throughout the rest of the season.

#4 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

The McHate "UnBelievers" will probably be besides themselves after this mostly insignificant post; still, I predict Coach McHale will be resigned by Leslie Alexander for an additional 2 years beyond this season with a Rockets (Leslie ALexander Option) for a 3rd year.

Oh well, guess that means a significant number of anti-McHale posts to come should you happen to be on THAT side of the Equation....

Keeps sites like this up and running I suppose.............

Edited by rocketrick, 06 December 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#5 marbony81110

marbony81110

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 60 posts
      • LocationGermany

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

I have never been a fan of McHale because he always seemed slow to make adjustments on offense and defense. I thought that led to many of those games where the Rockets could not hold on to a lead. I am also open to acknowledging when someone has improved. Some of it is personnel, but it also looks like the schemes are much better this year especially on defense. McHale has done a great job managing line ups to get the most out of each player except Daniels who seems to have regressed a bit in the limited time he has been given this year. McHale should easily be in the coach of the year discussion till this point in the season, but he won't get credit because of his reputation and because it's the Rockets. Kind of like how people don't like to acknowledge that Harden is a top 5 player in this league this year.

#6 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 362 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

I have always been a big McHale fan. I believed he was an above average coach before this season. and he has always met or exceeded expectations, except for perhaps that playoff loss to Portland, but any series can fall prey to a couple of hail mary last second shots. This year? If this keeps up I expect COY to be a shoe in.

#7 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 661 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

The best coach for us this summer was either Coach K with Team USA who got our superstar to go from a top 15 player overall to arguably the best player on the planet right now by being great on both ends. His D is elite at the moment, and he is everything I hoped he would become. That or the internet made him concious of it and right now Harden is the best player doing everything. I always said Harden was more about effort and therefore I critized him harshly. Right now I am with Rahat confounded how people can even argue that Harden is just in contention of being the best SG, he is easily a top 3 player right now of all positions.

I have been an anti Mchale coach, and always said I wouldn't mind if I was wrong, and right now he has impressed me with what he has done so far. I still don't agree with some decisions, but some of the criticism might have been wrong, and more player issues on D rather than coaching. By having Bev, Ariza, Howard, Dmo, Harden as all way above +defender has made me dream of a championship. So I'm happily surprised by this and hopefully we can get everyone back and work on our rotation.

#8 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

I was partial on McHale up to the Thunder series, when Greg Smith was clearly inadequate to be given a single minute played decent minutes, yet Terrance Jones, who had had big numbers going into the playoffs, was left on the bench. Since then I have been on the McFail bandwagon, but this season is starting to turn me.

#9 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,284 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:08 PM

I know over the last couple of years some of you have seen me post this excerpt from an interview with Jackson and I still believe it pertains to McHale
            and what he brings to the organization:

SI: A final obvious question: What do you miss about coaching?

Jackson: What you might expect. Being around the other coaches, being around the guys. It's what I talked about in my book [Eleven Rings]. Coaching is about, "How do I get these people to play at their peak level?" Yeah, the X's and O's mean something, but you can get people to do that. And a lot of those guys have been hired. The Lawrence Franks and the Frank Vogels. Mike Brown was one of those guys. That's not a knock. Those guys know how to coach the game.

But coaching is much more than that. It is a spiritual quest. And if it's not that, you don't have a challenge, you don't have a mission. Forming a brotherhood and trying to move it forward, that's the part that I miss.

And while here we get to see Phil Jackson get philosophical I believe with McHale we have seen him put his imprints on the brotherhood that has formed with the Rockets. McHale is a leader and now that we have seen what a team that's truely bought in under him can play as a unit with a purpose, a mission.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,032 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:08 PM

I know over the last couple of years some of you have seen me post this excerpt from an interview with Jackson and I still believe it pertains to McHale
            and what he brings to the organization:

SI: A final obvious question: What do you miss about coaching?

Jackson: What you might expect. Being around the other coaches, being around the guys. It's what I talked about in my book [Eleven Rings]. Coaching is about, "How do I get these people to play at their peak level?" Yeah, the X's and O's mean something, but you can get people to do that. And a lot of those guys have been hired. The Lawrence Franks and the Frank Vogels. Mike Brown was one of those guys. That's not a knock. Those guys know how to coach the game.

But coaching is much more than that. It is a spiritual quest. And if it's not that, you don't have a challenge, you don't have a mission. Forming a brotherhood and trying to move it forward, that's the part that I miss.

And while here we get to see Phil Jackson get philosophical I believe with McHale we have seen him put his imprints on the brotherhood that has formed with the Rockets. McHale is a leader and now that we have seen what a team that's truely bought in under him can play as a unit with a purpose, a mission.

I do always enjoy that quote.  It's good that people are starting to take note and see that he may not be the buffoon he is often scape-goated as.  It seems there are about 3 groups of people on this issue:

The group that has been supportive of McHale and is elated that his work and effort is really starting to flourish and show.

tumblr_n0891qQqUE1s5e5bko1_400.gif

Then there are those who are reluctantly acknowledging what they can't ignore...

giphy.gif

...then there are those who are still not convinced and continue to find ways to heap all the negatives on him while hoarding the positives away....

giphy.gif

.....and probably a few that just....

Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif

Personally, I'm loving this and think there is more to come.  In 2-3 years, fans, pundits, and all the rest will be hailing Houston as the franchise to be.  From top to bottom--Les Alexander, Tad Brown, Daryl Morey, Kevin McHale, Bickerstaff, Dunn, The players, the scouts, and the D-League this franchise is maximizing it's possibilities while operating in a hyper-competitive market with limited resources.  Incredible.

The injury bug has people getting itchy on their "we need to make a trade" trigger finger.  When we get everyone back I think this roster is stacked quite nicely.

My point is this team doesn't need a trade--it just needs some HGH  :lol: .  McHale, and the players, have done a great job getting us to 16-4.  I think as the season rolls on, and guys get back healthy, we are going to start steamrolling our way to a top seed.

#11 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,284 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

I do mostly agree with you johnnygold but Bickerstaff might get a head coaching job after a year or two. Him getting the green light to craft a defense and implementing it with McHale was probably the most important thing that happened in the off season. JB delivered.

#12 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 236 posts
            • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

Many times, it's not about what direction the coach is leading the team, but how well they looked getting there.  The perceived notion is much stronger then accepting reality, especially in the eyes of sports fans.

That said, I honestly thought McHale was going to be replaced after last season ended.  The loss to the Blazers *looked* bad.  It's nice to know that Morey and Alexander continue to buck the trend, as many organizations would have effected that change after last years exit.

I have been very impressed with Junior's defense, but have a feeling that he may be looking towards greener fields here shortly, as previously mentioned.  This kind of drastic, visible turnaround attracts franchises that desperately need something - *anything* - to help their team improve.  I assume they come calling as soon as they are able.  Which ultimately begs the question - can we trade assistant coaches?  :)

#13 kdo

kdo

• Members
            • Pip
            • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:39 AM

It's very simple.

If McHale gets blamed when we lose, it's only fair he also gets credit when we win.

Even if one supposes that McHale didn't do anything directly to improve the team, the mere fact that the team improved demonstrates that AT LEAST his presence is positive.

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,071 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:32 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: I tried.................I tried to let this thread alone, but I just couldn't do it. McHale is no more qualified to coach than he was last year at this time. we've had a really good start to the season and now that makes him some kind of guru? :lol: we're quoting Phil Jackson and comparing him to Pop? :lol: we're talking about 2-3 year extensions after 20 games? :lol:  Sorry I'm not that easy to please. JG we have been through all aspects of this argument. I still don't like the man's coaching abilities. IMO the difference is within his staff. if McHale has improved in anything  it's his ability to get the hell out of the way and let someone who knows what they are doing takeover. have any of you noticed how much more influence JB Bickerstaff and a couple of other assistants now have. whether by design or dumb luck McHale seems to have taken a step back and allowed the influence of some of the other coaches help guide the team. that's a good thing, but before you start giving me the figurehead garbage be aware that I am still of the opinion that the head coach shouldn't have to have his hand held. the qualities being displayed by McHale's staff should be radiating from McHale himself. with that said.........I do give McHale some credit for knowing when to get the hell out of the way :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#15 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,284 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

Maybe I am wrong and maybe I am not. I am not here to convince rockets best fan since I know where he stands but for any one following the discussion please understand my post above was not a comparison of Phil Jackson and Kevin McHale but rather a way to view the process and purpose of coaching.

#16 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 168 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

I will admit I was the first one to demonize McHale and call him McFail and blamed him for much of any of the Rockets failures last year. So if I am to do that, than I praise him for much of the success that the Rockets have been able to acheive in spite of the countless injuries they have suffered so far.  Whether it's being able to work with assistant coaches or allowing Ariza's rugged non-stop defense to become contagious or letting Harden become more of leader from his Team USA experience, I say he has proven me wrong so far this year.  If we are to judge the whole body of work by the leader on the bench as I have, then I will give praise (and not reluctantly either) to McHale for a tremendous job he has done. You may agree or disagree but that's where I stand on McHale right now.

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,032 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

Oh, RBF.  I know my opinion will never change your mind.  (by the way, I was pretty clear about NOT comparing him to Pop)

So, I will deviously use the words of players you respect and admire instead. ;)  Here is Goran Dragic: (LINK)

Very little changed the sad tone from Dragic until he was asked to give his thoughts on Houston coach Kevin McHale. While Dragic only spent two seasons with the Rockets and just one with McHale, Dragic seemed to think very highly of McHale.

“He’s a great coach, he is one of the best coaches I ever had,” Dragic said of McHale. “I had a great good times with him. He gave me the opportunity to become the player I am now.”

I'll save you the effort of your usual response.  "What did you expect him to say?  He's just saying what any smart person would in that situation!"

I will also point out that your logic is slightly faulty.  You want the head coach to be the end-all-be-all.  Well, then why do they have assistant coaches at all?  You give McHale credit for having the good sense to have, and use, his asst. coaches--the same way every other coach does, but his success is only in "getting out of the way".

Haha, it is going to be so frustrating for you the next few years (or more!) because McHale isn't going anywhere.   :P  I look forward to the day you can finally admit the man did a good job.

At some point, you have got to accept that this organization--the one that leaves no stone un-turned and would trade their own mother's if it got them closer to a championship--this organization has vetted McHale and kept him based on deep analytical/philosophical consideration and through years of performance evaluations.  Now, I appreciate that you think you've got Morey out-witted on this one, but given his track record on everything else I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

#18 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 190 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

At some point, you have got to accept that this organization--the one that leaves no stone un-turned and would trade their own mother's if it got them closer to a championship--this organization has vetted McHale and kept him based on deep analytical/philosophical consideration and through years of performance evaluations.  Now, I appreciate that you think you've got Morey out-witted on this one, but given his track record on everything else I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is exactly my stance on McHale. The Rockets have shown that they are willing to do anything that moves the needle closer to winning a championship. Why would they continue to let an incompetent coach be the head of everything they have been working towards? They know wayyyyyy more about the situation way than we do from the outside looking in... I'm going to trust their evaluation. 

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,071 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

@JG/txtdo1411

I agree the Rockets are aggressive in there quest to become champions again. the Rockets intentions are good, but in the case of McHale it's misguided. JG I'm not trying to out wit Morey on this one. I simply disagree with his opinion on McHale. I hope I'm wrong, but I call it the way I see it. the Rockets are my team, but I don't have to agree with everything they do in order for them to be my team. I don't have to be trying to out wit anybody because I have a difference of opinion do I? Morey is the right man for the job IMO, but he isn't above making mistakes. just because I trust him don't mean I have to agree with everything he does.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#20 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,284 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:39 AM

I completely disagree with you rockets best fan but I like your post there. Well said my friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users