Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:54 AM) Happy 2015 to all rockets fans
@  08huangj : (01 January 2015 - 05:52 AM) James played like a MVP last night
@  Cooper : (29 December 2014 - 02:30 AM) tough game for harden and bev
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) This team is ridiculously talented
@  bboley24 : (29 December 2014 - 01:55 AM) In Morey We Trust.
@  jorgeaam : (29 December 2014 - 01:05 AM) Corey Brewer beasting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) And Josh Smith starting tonight
@  jorgeaam : (28 December 2014 - 10:56 PM) The Lakers claiming Tarik of waivers
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:14 AM) Some nice moves to the basket as well. It seemed like he was more comfortable passing as the game went on; hope that keeps up. Lot of potential with this roster.
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) He definitely helped us in winning that game. Those two offensive rebounds and at the end of OT were massive. Some really great passes as well.
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:05 AM) No, not the only one. But we saw a lot of what Smith brings to the table, too.
@  jorgeaam : (27 December 2014 - 01:37 AM) Am I the only one who cringed while watching Smith pulling up for a last-second 3 Pointer?
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:31 AM) Smith getting good looks at the rim.
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:06 AM) took the clips to 7 in the playoffs last year without him. I think they will adjust but they clearly have taken a step back.
@  Mario Peña : (26 December 2014 - 11:44 PM) I am just finishing up the GS Clips game and the Warriors look pretty weak without Bogut. It's just one game but I'm not impressed by their attempt to circle the wagons.
@  SadLakerFan : (25 December 2014 - 07:37 PM) OK. That's the move. Rockets are all in this season with Smith. Good risk.
@  08huangj : (25 December 2014 - 01:04 PM) Another christmas present for us fans: Jones can do running and jumping drills now.
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) Merry Christmas guys!
@  RudyT1995 : (24 December 2014 - 11:21 PM) Another lefty! Merry Christmas!
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:14 PM) It seems he was assured he would become the starter

Photo

Corey Brewer, Yea or Nay?

trade rumour

39 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

According to some Marc Stein tweets, Morey et al. are looking into the possibility of acquiring Corey Brewer (aka. the only player to score 50 against the Rockets last season). What do you guys think?

Personally I'm not sure if he's a great fit. He has defensive tenacity and is excellent in transition, but I feel like in our half-court offense his lack of a consistent three point shot would make him a liability.

ST

#2 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

According to some Marc Stein tweets, Morey et al. are looking into the possibility of acquiring Corey Brewer (aka. the only player to score 50 against the Rockets last season). What do you guys think?

Personally I'm not sure if he's a great fit. He has defensive tenacity and is excellent in transition, but I feel like in our half-court offense his lack of a consistent three point shot would make him a liability.

ST

Very fair question, Mr ST.

Personally, if it came down to losing the $8.3 million trade exception due to time limitations or trading for C Brewer, I would obiously choose the latter.

Is C Brewer a good fit for the Rockets going forward? Certainly not ideal as it seems very quite obvious the Rockets desperately need some big bodies that can actually make a basket vs. what they have currently.

Still, it would be interesting to see how C Brewer could fit in to the Rockets scheme going forward, especially once D12 and T Williams both return to full health. I think having both Papa and C Brewer playing the SF spot along with Ariza would be tremendous and I would expect 2 of those players on the floor anytime T Williams or D12 is resting rather than Motiejunas (what a disappointment after ample opportunity) much less Dorsey or whoever including Black.

#3 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

I like him especially if we're just taking his salary and sending a 2nd. His shot isn't great but if he's playing with harden or against mostly backups it shouldn't be a killer. plus there doesn't seem to be very many bigs on the market which is really the only other significant roster hole.

#4 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
      • Pip
      • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Don't know... He's a fine offensive player. I just wonder about being to clogged up at forward then. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist when it comes to DMo, but I still think he will take at least another step or two. And the way Papa seems to be adapting and starting to blossom...

Does anyone know how Brewer is on defense?

Edited by cointurtlemoose, 21 November 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#5 Willk

Willk

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 250 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

ST

AK47 wants out of Brooklyn. I would rather have him. also Kmart broke his wrist so I do not think Brewer is leaving now.

#6 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 322 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:05 AM

AK47 wants out of Brooklyn. I would rather have him. also Kmart broke his wrist so I do not think Brewer is leaving now.

You'll be lucky if AK47 manages to play half a season

#7 Willk

Willk

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 250 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:39 AM

You'll be lucky if AK47 manages to play half a season

Ok what big do you want to get? Or do you want more wings when depth at 4/5 is the biggest problem

#8 Steven

Steven

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,944 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

Greg Monroe.

And yes Brewer would be a better player then Garcia, so I would take him in a heartbeat.

Edited by Steven, 22 November 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#9 Willk

Willk

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 250 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

Greg Monroe.

And yes Brewer would be a better player then Garcia, so I would take him in a heartbeat.

Garcia wouldn't be playing if TJones & or Howard were healthy. I would not mind Monroe.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,019 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

ST

NAY to Brewer. he has no outside shot and doesn't address our weaknesses.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 147 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

NAY to Brewer. he has no outside shot and doesn't address our weaknesses.

He's a very good defender, but he guards 2's and 3's.  The Rockets problem is the big power forwards in the Western Conference over the course of a 7-game series.

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 3,733 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

He's a very good defender, but he guards 2's and 3's.  The Rockets problem is the big power forwards in the Western Conference over the course of a 7-game series.

Exactly, if Morey was sniffing around this trade it was only to see if a bargain was there and likely would be with an eye towards a bigger trade down the road.  Maybe he thought they would throw in Turiaf--which would have been useful.

We don't need a guy like Brewer right now.  We need Kevin Seraphin (who looked downright studly last night against the Cavs--he's not available, most likely, but that's what this team is lacking.)

Teams aren't lining up to give away quality bigs who can defend both the PF and C position.  This is even more problematic when we are not interested in giving up anything significant to get one.  I will be impressed if Morey can pull one out of his magic hat.

#13 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,623 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:51 AM

If we could get Turiaf with brewer, maybe.

#14 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
                      • 1,274 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

It seems that, according to Jonathan Feigen, a trade of this sort would be to set up a later trade at the deadline, by using the acquired player in that later package.  I guess the thinking is that, in the meantime, you can make better use on the court of that player than of a "TPE."

#15 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 337 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:49 AM

As it looks like the Rockets are trading for Brewer,I'd like to say yea,a very big Yea.

The list of things Brewer doesn't do is pretty long,but what he does do....is very good and needed for season long success.

He defends adequately,which you can't really say about any of the reserve wings-Nick Johnson is still struggling to come to grips with NBA man defensive concepts.

He is a hellacious on the fast break-okay,so he often cherry picks-something the team lost w/Parsons.

He can very occasionally get hot from 3pt land. Hi sday to day bricks aren't that much worse than the rest of the Rockets,but when he gets hot he can carry a team for a stretch,something the team-and Harden-needs desperately.

He'll give Ariza a break.

Best of all he fits in almost perfectly w/a small-ball Rockets bench unit. Some combo of Rocket smalls-Canaan,Jet,Johnson,Beverly-Brewer,Papi and Motie or Jones gives the Rockets speed,shooting and someone who can defend the other team's second unit designated scorer.

#16 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 128 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:03 AM

I agree with you Stephen......the age old question of do you go with defense or offense? I believe no team has won an NBA championship without a top 5 defense since Miami won in; what was it.....2002?? I'm guessing the Spurs were top 5 last year. Too many people here think basketball is only about offense. I mentioned before the season how Troy Daniels would see little action with the Rockets due to our shift to a defensive mind set. Your vision of small-ball with an Ariza and Brewer on the wings-----Harden running the break will create so much trouble for other teams. Quality defending wings (SF's and SG's) will be needed to defend guys like Durant, Parsons, klay Thompson, Butler, LeBron.....if nothing else we use fouls while making them work. Kwahi Leonard was a key player (defender) vs LeBron last finals. Rockets are rated about 2nd on defense without all starters logging in many games due to injuries. If Terrence comes back in shape the Rockets will have a good 3-man rotation of D12/D-Mo/TJ, between Center and PF. Versatility of Ariza/Brewer at SF/SG with Papanikolaou at SF. Bev/Canaan/Jet at PG. With D12 and D-Mo always having one on the court posting up with Harden driving in the paint....our 3 pointers will start getting more open looks and makes (our fast break points will improve as well) the offense will be ok. Shved had a PER in the 20's which recently came down to 19; which means he is doing well with several key stats....that will only help our second team.

#17 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 128 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:08 AM

The Miami team of 2006 won a championship without a top 5 defense.

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                              • 3,733 posts
                              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

For those who aren't sure who Alexey Shved is this highlight video from earlier this year gives a decent look at his skill set.

I can definitely see him moving ahead of Canaan on the depth chart and being a solid back up PG for us.

I think Brewer and Shved are definitely upgrades for us over Garcia and Daniels.  I hope 'Cisco gets a coaching gig with us and sticks with the team.  Seems like a good guy to have around.

The next time Golden State tries to run us out of the gym I think we'll be ready  B)

#19 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 337 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

Really liked the Brewer addition...but getting Shved is also a big pick up.

Shved can give some play-making when Harden sits and allowing Jet or Canaan to act as the SGs they really are. 

Our revamped second unit has gone from "Oh G-D,can they ever score and how big a run will the other team go on" to "Wow,they're burying weaker teams under an avalanche of fast breaks and Harden can actually get some rest against better teams and just how can they clank so many shots yet still not give up a huge run?"

#20 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                                • 2,202 posts
                                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

I like it and just as a parallel story line to Rondo in Dallas I am going to venture a guess that even if they don't get flipped Morey's move seems smarter than Cuban's. Looks to me like Cuban has gone for the risky flashy move while Morey has strengthened his roster and dealing hand.

I was utterly and completely wrong about Hamilton last year but I am going out on a limb to say Shved becomes a real difference maker for the Rockets off the bench. Brewer by all accounts wanted Houston so I assume he buys in defensively which will spell Ariza and Harden which was a crucial goal for Morey.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users