Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (30 November 2014 - 04:32 AM) Totally agree, the injury bug is never fun, but I'm so glad our bench guys are getting consequential playing time, experiencing a variety of lineups
@  jorgeaam : (30 November 2014 - 04:29 AM) So the Rockets beat a team that was 10-7, doing so without Canaan, Bev, T-Jones, Howard, I like our odds when those guys come back
@  jorgeaam : (30 November 2014 - 04:22 AM) I wonder what did Giannis said to Harden to get a push from him, it seemed like nothing when it happened, that's irrelevant though, good game by the rockets tonight so far
@  Mario Pena (... : (30 November 2014 - 02:04 AM) I'm so glad there will be no Clyde on the call tonight. I think he's getting worse if that's possible.
@  Dayak : (29 November 2014 - 01:29 AM) Canaan's ballin'. Canaanball!!! Woohoo
@  rocketrick : (28 November 2014 - 03:46 PM) As a NBA fan, looking forward to seeing the Clips battle the Rockets. Not the same situation now as later, but an indication in my view. Just happy to see a quality game over the Thanksgiving weekend 2014
@  SadLakerFan : (27 November 2014 - 05:00 AM) Another brutal game from CP. Mavs somehow win despite going 4-31 from three-pt range.
@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 02:48 AM) So hack-a-Dorsey because Howard is not playing?
@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 01:30 AM) Hahaha, let's hope they don't
@  Dayak : (27 November 2014 - 01:20 AM) They have to find a way to stop Harden either
@  jorgeaam : (26 November 2014 - 08:24 PM) No Howard or Bev tonight, let's hope we find a way to stop Boogie
@  cointurtlemoose : (25 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Harden is beasting
@  kdo : (24 November 2014 - 01:19 AM) Sigh...Howard's out...
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 03:58 AM) Talk about surviving on defense and Harden delivering! Rockets beat the Mavs!
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:44 AM) Yes! Nice win today
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:37 AM) It's quite satisfactory to see Harden get an And-One against Parsons
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Most three-point field-goal attempts, game
49-Dallas vs. New Jersey, March 5, 1996

Houston has 44 so far
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:12 AM) WOW, 75 combined 3PA so far, NBA record for Most three-point field-goal attempts, both teams, game was 69
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:51 AM) We're on pace to break the 3pm in a game record, 12 already with 6 min remaining in first half
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:48 AM) Insane 3 point shooting so far

Photo

Los Angeles Lakers 98, Houston Rockets 92 - The ride never ends

20 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

New post: Los Angeles Lakers 98, Houston Rockets 92 - The ride never ends
    By: Forrest Walker

How could the Rockets cap off a week and a half of terrible games, ugly wins and an unwatcheable loss? Well, now we have the answer: an embarrassing loss to a terrible team. Houston's ongoing goal to put together the most miserable game experience in history is really coming along, and will hopefully be capped off by a 54-50 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, complete with a dagger by ex-Rocket Robert Covington. Dwight Howard suddenly and unexpectedly chose not to play due to complaints of a sore knee, sure. Terrence Jones has been out for ages with a nerve issue and may not play for some time. Yes, this is true. The fact remains, however, that the Rockets lost a game they not only should have won, but needed to win and were expected to win. And the best part is this:

This is not rock bottom. There's plenty more down from here.

It's possible that the sky isn't falling in Houston, but in that case I have to wonder what's hitting the Rockets in the head from above. If you sat down with a crack team of writers, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a more perfectly crushing run of games for the Rockets. The bad signs just keep coming, and now Houston is losing even when they can hit their threes. The well-oiled machine is missing gears, and the smaller cogs only seem to be pouring grit into the machine. Bad decisions and lack of talent led this Rockets team to forget everything they knew and somehow let a hapless-looking (and playing) Lakers team bowl them over at the end of the game.

It's possible the Rockets could have attacked the rim more often, given how little protection the Lakers have there. Some high screen and rolls, some kick outs to open men, anything. Instead, the most critical possession in the game ended with Tarik Black posting up Jordan Hill. What if Dwight Howard was playing? Isn't he a much better player? A Howard post up in that exact situation would have been just as foolish, whether that situation would have arisen or not. The problem is not talent. The problem is not injury. The problem is not even fatigue. The problem is decision-making, and it always has been, and it always will be. Until the Rockets can sort out their offense, a problem that few people even acknowledged was an issue last season, Houston will keep falling prey to lesser teams and will not make it to the second round of the playoffs.

The Rockets got outrebounded by nine. Fine. That would have been helped by Dwight Howard, obviously. Rebounds were only part of the story. The Lakers won the turnover game 13 to 17. They won the foul game 18-25. All of this together, as a grand package of bad choices wrapped up in a ribbon of desperation, delivered 17 more field goals to the Lakers. The Rockets should never, ever take 74 field goals when the opponent has 91. All the Lakers had to do was shoot a mediocre 40.7% from the field to win this game. The Rockets have the tools to field an extremely efficient offense in this league... and yet they sit at 21st. Below the Nuggets, a team whose early season struggles could hardly be more documented.

This is not time to panic, for that button has come and gone. The Rockets, at their best, are one of the best teams in the NBA, with a lineup fit far better than anyone could ask for. Their defense is, despite their reputation, top-notch. They'll stay in the top five all season, despite expectations going in. Defense supposedly wins championships, but that's only the case if the offense operates at a bare minimum. That's only the case if the team doesn't crumble like a house of cards in the final five minutes. That's only the case if the team plays more of their bench and doesn't leave exciting options to wither and die on the bench. Troy Daniels is iffy, but Isaiah Canaan has looked strong and promising. Head coach Kevin McHale has a tendency to squeeze the starters and to give young players short shrift. And if it has been his decision to keep Canaan stapled to the bench since Beverley's return, he is criminal in his basketball negligence.

There is little more that could be going wrong for the Rockets since their trip to Mexico City, but there is always more that could falter. Houston has penned a flawless symphony of disappointment and has moved, expertly, to make fools of all who recognize the might of their early-season run. This is a long season, and there's no reason to think the Rockets can't keep this kind of production going. Once, that sentiment was milk and honey in the mouths of pundits and fans and players and coaches. Now, it's returned, burnt to ashes, bitter and cloying in the throats of the same people. Dwight Howard will return. Terrence Jones will return. But these problems are a different matter. These decisions are ongoing. And the ride never ends.

#2 Steven

Steven

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,890 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

When do they fire McHale and hire Mark Jackson or Jeff Van Gundy to finish the year?

#3 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 145 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

I'm at least interested in what happened during that final 12-1 run

#4 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,620 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

You don't replace a bad coach with another bad coach Steven.

#5 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,527 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

I'm wondering if Dwight decided not to play due to his personal issues.

Why so Serious? :D

#6 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 479 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

I'm at least interested in what happened during that final 12-1 run

A heavy dose of iso-Harden, panicky 3s, and zero post presence.

#7 Willk

Willk

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 247 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:33 PM

I'm wondering if Dwight decided not to play due to his personal issues.

hopefully that is it.

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,664 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

I'll agree that McHale has had better games, but let's not go full-emo around here, guys.

jonsnowworst.jpg

Glossing over the fact we are missing 2 starters--at our thinnest position, the frontline--which includes arguably the best player at his position, Dwight Howard, tells me that this is not a game recap, but a sad prose written from a sad heart because....sadness.

I don't think Canaan would have saved our bacon anymore than Daniels would have--our problem wasn't on the wings.  It was inside.  For those who didn't watch the game, you would think Jordan Hill was Chris Bosh Lite if you hadn't seen him before.  The guy was really, really good and I found myself thinking, "we should try to trade for him", somewhere in the 3rd quarter.

Wes Johnson is starting to figure out that to stay in this league he needs to become Trevor Ariza and not Kobe Bryant.  He did a good job of it last night.  We got beat.  It is ok.  It feels like we got stood up going to the prom by the ugly girl around here.  Let's put on our big boy pants, everybody.  It's going to be a long season and it's not going to be perfect--this happens every year to every team.

James Harden killed it last night and, unfortunately, had an untimely turnover late in the game (to the long arms of Johnson) which sealed our fate.  We've gotten used to him being the hero, but tonight the other guys made the play.  Harden's 6 turnovers are misleading in my book.  There were a couple of no calls and that Johnson swipe at the end which boosted those numbers.  Overall, he was 7-11 for 24 points, with 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 block.  Very, very good game.

Meanwhile, Papanikolaou is getting into the groove of things.  By season's end, I think we will have ourselves quite the difference maker.

Meanwhile, Beverley looked solid on both ends---enough so that frickin' Knickabokkaz came around to compliment him.  :o

Ariza needs to dial it back a little--feels like he is forcing things a bit rather than just letting it come naturally.  I'm sure they'll work it out.

So, for those who want to keep feeling the saddest sadness that ever saddened this sad world carry on.  We're 9-3 and, apparently, nothing short of 100% success is good enough now.  Wow.  Hey, I know what will help.  Go look at the Eastern Conference Standings (LINK) and let the gloom wash over you like a wave of mutilation.

#9 Mario Pena (FSS)

Mario Pena (FSS)

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,182 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

You're the best johnnygold. Game of Thrones and the Pixies all in one post, nice.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#10 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 684 posts
              • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

Why wasn't Motiejunas the one taking that shot instead of Black? You came out of a timeout and you drew a play (which clearly went bust). If you need points, why go with Black? That time we needed offense, not effort. Black can't score unless it's within 3 feet from the basket

#11 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 145 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

I watched some of the game.  Not sure why James ended up taking only 11 shots.  The foul on the Wes Johnson steal, and the foul with 21 seconds left were not good plays.  And the Black shot was puzzling as well. 

Edited by SadLakerFan, 20 November 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#12 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
                • Pip
                • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

Why wasn't Motiejunas the one taking that shot instead of Black? You came out of a timeout and you drew a play (which clearly went bust). If you need points, why go with Black? That time we needed offense, not effort. Black can't score unless it's within 3 feet from the basket

Looked to me like the Lakers D sniffed out the play drawn up for Harden, who was then forced to give the ball up.

Which is part of my frustration when it comes to our too-often terrible 'late game, small lead' gameplan. It's so freakin predictable. The D knows exactly what's coming, and if they can take away our first option (aka a Harden ISO), then we'll most likely have no counters, and it'll devolve into something like Black (a satisfactory second unit big) trying a postup. The Portland series was super frustrating in this way. Anyways, I digress...

Like others have said, I just wish Canaan could be given more of a creator role with the second unit. Gosh he didn't even play yesterday. He can shoot, he can beat guys off the dribble, he's an acceptable finisher, and his passing, though not great, will only improve with experience. Some of our second unit lineups needed a spark last night, and they have this entire season. I just think Canaan could bring spark, if given the chance to improve.

Anyways, you're right Johnny. It's a loss that we should have won, and those will happen, so I should cheer up. Our D was still relatively good, though Kobe's shot spewing and Boozer jumpers help on that front.

#13 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 47 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:10 PM

I think something strange is going on with the team. For it to flip from day to night, something is going on.

It might be the Child Abuse Issue with Howard 

or

Major injury to Howard

or 

Howard & Harden are not connecting well together on the court.

For Howard to be a late scratch like that, its strange. 

My alert didn't even go off. 

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,006 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:52 AM

I agree with Forrest. what was on display last night was a coach who doesn't know what he is doing. I have been quiet on McHale as of late, but how long can we continue to tolerate his incompetence? the Rockets have a good record because we been beating up on scrubs. the two creditable teams we played (GSW and Memphis) throttled us. I have been singing T-Jones praises here in previous post because I felt he was underappreciated. I guess now his value is more obvious. I can't believe some poster's here were calling for D-Mo to start in front of him. T-Jones is the best PF we have. if that isn't obvious to you by now you haven't been watching the Rockets. trading T-Jones without bringing in a creditable replacement would be foolish, even if we are upgrading another position. as for this Laker loss............I expect more of this garbage from the Rockets. they are like a ship without a rudder. they have no leader on the bench giving them direction.  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#15 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,789 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thank the f'g gods the Rockets have been totally healthy thus far this season or I don't even want to imagine for a milli-second otherwise............woops.

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 3,664 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Wow, people.  Let's take the starting center and power forward off of any team and see how well they do.  Seriously, just stop and think about that for 10 seconds.  Apparently, when San Antonio does it and loses it's ok...not for us though!

You can nit-pick the lack of floor time Canaan/Daniels got.  You can nit-pick the last play call.  Most importantly, let's lose all perspective and, just as I predicted, start calling for McHale's head as soon as we hit a bump in the road.  Good stuff.

I hate the Lakers as much as anyone, but we shouldn't completely dismiss their squad out of bias.  That's just as bad as the annual talk that the best college basketball team (currently Kentucky) could beat the worst NBA team (currently Philly)--it is never, nor will it ever, be true.

There are quite a few players I'd take off the Lakers' hands if they were willing.  Wes Johnson, Ed Davis, Ryan Kelley, Jordan Hill, Nick Young, and Julius Randle (for the future).

They played good enough to beat us--an "us" that is at 60% health on the starting 5.  The way people are reacting, you'd think we got beat by Kentucky and not an NBA team of professionals with a future hall of famer on a night where we had almost no interior defense.

Whatever, things will get back on track and the talk will quiet down again...until the next time.

#17 Willk

Willk

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 247 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

Wow, people. Let's take the starting center and power forward off of any team and see how well they do. Seriously, just stop and think about that for 10 seconds. Apparently, when San Antonio does it and loses it's ok...not for us though!

You can nit-pick the lack of floor time Canaan/Daniels got. You can nit-pick the last play call. Most importantly, let's lose all perspective and, just as I predicted, start calling for McHale's head as soon as we hit a bump in the road. Good stuff.

I hate the Lakers as much as anyone, but we shouldn't completely dismiss their squad out of bias. That's just as bad as the annual talk that the best college basketball team (currently Kentucky) could beat the worst NBA team (currently Philly)--it is never, nor will it ever, be true.

There are quite a few players I'd take off the Lakers' hands if they were willing. Wes Johnson, Ed Davis, Ryan Kelley, Jordan Hill, Nick Young, and Julius Randle (for the future).

They played good enough to beat us--an "us" that is at 60% health on the starting 5. The way people are reacting, you'd think we got beat by Kentucky and not an NBA team of professionals with a future hall of famer on a night where we had almost no interior defense.

Whatever, things will get back on track and the talk will quiet down again...until the next time.

Apparently it is easy to replace 35 Ppg and 19 rebounds along with elite rim protection.

#18 Mario Pena (FSS)

Mario Pena (FSS)

Officer

• Moderators
                        • 2,182 posts
                        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

Completely agree Wilk and if anything it just shows that this team needs it's defense to be dominant with Dwight leading the way. That defensive scheme that Bickerstaff and McHale implemented is a step to what this teams identity could be by the playoffs. These injuries will give bench guys experience they wouldn't have otherwise had which will help with the end of the season and the playoffs.

I'm not that concerned with wins but I am concerned with the development of team chemistry. More than ever seeding will be less relevant and matchups even more important.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#19 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 684 posts
                        • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

Looked to me like the Lakers D sniffed out the play drawn up for Harden, who was then forced to give the ball up.

Which is part of my frustration when it comes to our too-often terrible 'late game, small lead' gameplan. It's so freakin predictable. The D knows exactly what's coming, and if they can take away our first option (aka a Harden ISO), then we'll most likely have no counters, and it'll devolve into something like Black (a satisfactory second unit big) trying a postup. The Portland series was super frustrating in this way. Anyways, I digress...

Like others have said, I just wish Canaan could be given more of a creator role with the second unit. Gosh he didn't even play yesterday. He can shoot, he can beat guys off the dribble, he's an acceptable finisher, and his passing, though not great, will only improve with experience. Some of our second unit lineups needed a spark last night, and they have this entire season. I just think Canaan could bring spark, if given the chance to improve.

Anyways, you're right Johnny. It's a loss that we should have won, and those will happen, so I should cheer up. Our D was still relatively good, though Kobe's shot spewing and Boozer jumpers help on that front.

Exactly what I'm asking. You need to give yourself options, Black posting up isn't a good one, but Motie one on one in the paint might. The Lakers knew exactly what was coming, and the bail out option was Black. That's why I said we needed offense in that play, not effort

#20 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 53 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

I'm not calling for Mchale's head in November. Unless something goes really wrong he is our coach this season in my opinion. I think if Wes Johnson doesn't make that steal we win the game. My concern is that the Rockets have been in a 5 game funk. We are lucky that we are 3-2 over this period. Just as we could be 4-1 we also could be 0-5. I get all teams go through this and especially teams that have had a significant amount of role changes from last year. My hope is that all players have December 3 circled on their calendars. I hope they are fired up to prove to the league that they will not be bullied (especially in the paint) and that Houston is an elite team. 

In the short term lets hope Dwight can get back for Buffalo jeans return and the Rockets can have a bounce back into form. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users