Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (20 November 2014 - 08:09 AM) But Papa is great. What a dude. I <3 Papa. I need a t-shirt with that on it.
@  cointurtlemoose : (20 November 2014 - 08:03 AM) This was one of those times where our 'late game - small lead' tactics (or lack thereof) makes me want to explode...
@  SadLakerFan : (20 November 2014 - 05:19 AM) Rockets seemed in control for most of the game, but Lakers closed on a 12-1 run. Will wait for the analysis tomorrow.
@  Cooper : (20 November 2014 - 05:13 AM) yeah, well and jones hard to win without starters in a position we aren't particularly deep at in the first place still terrible loss.
@  jorgeaam : (20 November 2014 - 05:09 AM) are we really that dependent on Dwight? 2 out of our 3 losses when he's out
@  Cooper : (20 November 2014 - 05:07 AM) last few possessions have been beyond horrible.
@  Adi1008 : (20 November 2014 - 05:06 AM) ;_;
@  SadLakerFan : (20 November 2014 - 05:05 AM) I only have ESPN gamecast so I can't see what's going on - but, you have GOT to be kidding me.
@  thenit : (20 November 2014 - 05:00 AM) Kobe is a chucker that's why no FA wanted to join him
@  jorgeaam : (20 November 2014 - 04:58 AM) Why would Harden foul Johnson like that? Smh
@  jorgeaam : (20 November 2014 - 04:48 AM) I find it unbelievable how Kobe just forces shot after shot with his teammates wide open
@  jorgeaam : (20 November 2014 - 04:42 AM) Nah, he can't hit a 3 to save his life
@  SadLakerFan : (20 November 2014 - 04:40 AM) Could getting back Jordan Hill be the answer at the 4?
@  jorgeaam : (20 November 2014 - 04:38 AM) Lakers leading, how's that even possible?
@  Fury : (20 November 2014 - 04:36 AM) Why do Dorsey and Black even bother trying to back down in the post? Black severely undersized at C.
@  SadLakerFan : (20 November 2014 - 04:36 AM) 81-78. Jeez. Rockets can't do better than this? How are we going to get a top 5 lottery pick if teams don't play a little better against us?
@  thenit : (20 November 2014 - 04:13 AM) How can't lakers fan realize Kobe being so inefficient in comparison to Harden. Guy just takes so many bad shots.
@  thenit : (20 November 2014 - 03:22 AM) 10-15 min
@  thenit : (20 November 2014 - 03:22 AM) We don't have a real backup C in terms of size. So when Howard is out it's 48 min without one instead of 19-15
@  RudyT1995 : (20 November 2014 - 03:18 AM) Our lack of size is rearing its ugly head.

Photo

Beverley's future?

56 replies to this topic

#1 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:26 AM

Is he our starting PG next year? Should he be? At what price?

If we cut ties who is available?

I'm wondering because I don't know if we'd make a move midseason. I think somebody might give him 7-9 million and I don't think he's worth that.

Why so Serious? :D

#2 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:50 AM

It would be hard to give him more than 5-6 million luckily not many teams are searching fora pg and the ones that are like LA/NY generally want a star. Notable likely pg free agents this summer include Rondo, Dragic, Jackson, and Knight. Right now I doubt Dragic leaves phx and rondo might get traded before then or even to the rockets. Jackson is quite good. I see Knight as more as an undersized 2 but that might work with harden anyways.

#3 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 600 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:12 AM

I think he is worth that money if we go over the cap. I think we can win with bev but that would be contingent on upgrade at starting pf and a scoring guard off the bench

#4 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

I honestly believe Rondo is high up on Morey's wishlist, but even if Morey gets his wish I think Beverley will remain a key part of the rotation playing close to 30 minutes a night as long as he doesn't pull an Asik on us. 

#5 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 277 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:07 AM

I agree 2016, rondo can guard 2's easily. A three man rotation of bev, rondo, harden is almost ideal, always got a good defender out there with harden.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#6 Steven

Steven

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,877 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:19 AM

Canaan>Rondo.

#7 seetow1

seetow1

• Members
        • Pip
        • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

What about Dellavedova? Moves well off the ball, decent 3-ball shooter and tenacious defender (though not in Bev's league). RFA next summer.

#8 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,071 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

Personally I think think the key attribute we need our point guard to have (beyond the ability to bring the ball up and initiate the offence, of course) is a capable three point shot. With Harden being able to penetrate and distribute so well, we don't need to duplicate those skill from the PG position as much as we need someone who can put the ball in the net on a kick-out.

Beverley's defence is nice, but it would be irrelevant if we couldn't rely on him to hit on 36% of his three point looks. If we were to look for a Beverley replacement (which I only think we should do if the asking price will ruin our cap flexibility), that is the main criteria I think we should be using the judge whoever gets brought in. This is why I think Canaan will do well with us since that basically fits his skill set to a T.

The other option is to bring in a player of a significantly higher calibre who is good enough to necessitate changing the team concept for. IMO Rondo does fit the bill there. But it's not going to be easy to integrate such a player and I'd be very wary of making moves like that mid-season (that's an off-season-only sort of move).

ST

#9 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
          • 1,223 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

It depends on the rest of the roster.  They still need an upgrade somewhere.  So if you get a Paul Millsap, I am ok with bringing back Beverley even if it breaks the bank.  But if you are still rolling with the same guys at the '4', I'd want a Rondo.

#10 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 115 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

With the front court as thin as it is, would it be wise to give up say Jones and the Peli pick for a Rondo (or similar) without getting a big back?

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,650 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

With the front court as thin as it is, would it be wise to give up say Jones and the Peli pick for a Rondo (or similar) without getting a big back?

I feel like this question answers itself.  No.  Not unless a second trade was in line which involved Beverley being moved for a PF upgrade.

The problem is, there are plenty of PF's with some scoring punch, but not very many who move the needle on defense--which we need more than scoring.  Horford and Amir Johnson are about it, really (of guys who might be available), but I think both teams want to see how they perform this season with those guys.  Johnson is a free agent after this season and Horford has two years at $12M (including this season).

Horford would make for a solid frontcourt defender and he has a decent mid-range shot with potential 3 pt. range (especially from the corner).  The issue is, does he want to be here?  Would Atlanta trade him?  What's the price?  Danny Ferry hasn't lost a trade since he's been in Atlanta (at least, that I can remember) and is part of Pop's coaching tree.  He knows what he's doing and isn't going to hand us Horford for nothing.

I still believe in Jones.  I see improvement from last season and see no reason for him to not continue improving in years to come.  He is improving his decision making, his activity on the glass, his cuts, his mid-range....what more do we want?  Defense, of course.  Well, let's give him a chance while remembering, as always, that WC PF's are going to get theirs.  Nobody shuts them down 1 on 1.

I like this roster.  I like this team.  I would prefer we keep it as is unless some team puts a stud PG/PF on a fire sale and gives them away for, essentially, nothing.  There has been lots of concern over our depth (somewhat unwarranted)--what would we have left if we trade it for an upgrade to a starter?  Capela and NJ?  Yikes!

I think if a trade happens this season it will be minor and will likely be to reinforce the bench.  Okafor's name has been thrown around and that could very well happen.  We shall see.  For now, I am happy to sit back and enjoy the guys we have doing awesome things.

One last thought--these teams we're scared of: Portland, LAC, SAS, MEM.  They are all built to suck in the defense through the PF spot and open up their elite three point shooters.  Most teams take the bait, doubling up or sagging in to prevent the PF's from going off.  Much like our own team, it's not Harden's 26+ points that beats you--it's the 43% shooting from deep by our "role players" that is the killer.

My point is, why not let the PF position do it's thing against us--like a gambit in chess.  They would have to shoot 65%+ for the series to be truly devastating if we stay at home on their shooters (holding them below average) and box out for the rebounds.  Just a thought....because a PF upgrade that makes us formidable on defense is not likely to be in the cards this season.  Terrence Jones, on the other hand, has 77 games left to figure out ways to defend these guys better than he has.  I say roll with TJ.

#12 YaoMan

YaoMan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 115 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

I feel like this question answers itself.  No.  Not unless a second trade was in line which involved Beverley being moved for a PF upgrade.

The problem is, there are plenty of PF's with some scoring punch, but not very many who move the needle on defense--which we need more than scoring.  Horford and Amir Johnson are about it, really (of guys who might be available), but I think both teams want to see how they perform this season with those guys.  Johnson is a free agent after this season and Horford has two years at $12M (including this season).

Horford would make for a solid frontcourt defender and he has a decent mid-range shot with potential 3 pt. range (especially from the corner).  The issue is, does he want to be here?  Would Atlanta trade him?  What's the price?  Danny Ferry hasn't lost a trade since he's been in Atlanta (at least, that I can remember) and is part of Pop's coaching tree.  He knows what he's doing and isn't going to hand us Horford for nothing.

I still believe in Jones.  I see improvement from last season and see no reason for him to not continue improving in years to come.  He is improving his decision making, his activity on the glass, his cuts, his mid-range....what more do we want?  Defense, of course.  Well, let's give him a chance while remembering, as always, that WC PF's are going to get theirs.  Nobody shuts them down 1 on 1.

I like this roster.  I like this team.  I would prefer we keep it as is unless some team puts a stud PG/PF on a fire sale and gives them away for, essentially, nothing.  There has been lots of concern over our depth (somewhat unwarranted)--what would we have left if we trade it for an upgrade to a starter?  Capela and NJ?  Yikes!

I think if a trade happens this season it will be minor and will likely be to reinforce the bench.  Okafor's name has been thrown around and that could very well happen.  We shall see.  For now, I am happy to sit back and enjoy the guys we have doing awesome things.

One last thought--these teams we're scared of: Portland, LAC, SAS, MEM.  They are all built to suck in the defense through the PF spot and open up their elite three point shooters.  Most teams take the bait, doubling up or sagging in to prevent the PF's from going off.  Much like our own team, it's not Harden's 26+ points that beats you--it's the 43% shooting from deep by our "role players" that is the killer.

My point is, why not let the PF position do it's thing against us--like a gambit in chess.  They would have to shoot 65%+ for the series to be truly devastating if we stay at home on their shooters (holding them below average) and box out for the rebounds.  Just a thought....because a PF upgrade that makes us formidable on defense is not likely to be in the cards this season.  Terrence Jones, on the other hand, has 77 games left to figure out ways to defend these guys better than he has.  I say roll with TJ.

Agreed. Much of your analysis and faith in the team and coaches have been sound and have been proven true in this young season. When Rahat said he wanted to upgrade to Rondo, my thoughts were that perhaps the Rockets can contend with Bev at PG even without a Millsap type player at the 4. What I would love to see is D-Mo prove me wrong for my doubts on him - that would definitely move the needle in the right direction. I, like you, do think TJ can improve his defense. Looking at the difference Ariza has made already and I am a willing believer.

#13 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
                • Pip
                • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:20 AM

What I would love to see is D-Mo prove me wrong for my doubts on him - that would definitely move the needle in the right direction.

D-Mo is my only disappointment of the season. I am not ready to completely throw him under the bus but must admit I was hoping he would light up Boston for a bit of trade leverage. He then put the ball on the floor and the ball came up and hit him in the face. That is seriously a long way for the ball to travel to hit Donatas's face! That said I think his d is slightly improved.

#14 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:34 AM

I completely agree. I think this is what they tried to do in the Portland series. it will be interesting to see now with ariza and a renewed harden, if the wings of these teams can be contained. I would also like to see when TJ is on the bench, Dorsey and DMO just making it hard for these pfs. Pushing, pulling and sweating all over them. Create a physical toll on the spine of the scoring. Kind of like what Portland did to Harden.

#15 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
                    • 1,223 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

New post: Should the Rockets be looking to trade?
                      By: Rahat Huq

A reader writes:

Quote:

I think if a trade happens this season it will be minor and will likely be to reinforce the bench.

Of course, one never wants to rush to trade, just to trade.  And it is still very early.  But at least initially, I would have to strongly, strongly disagree for two primary reasons:

1. The league is more wide open this season than I can remember in some time, and we don't know when such a window will again present itself.  Injuries to Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook will bury the Thunder to a bottom seed.  The Pacers don't figure to be a factor.  Derrick Rose is still rounding into form, and it will take the Cavs some time to gel.  At least one of these situations will not be the case next season.  Now one could easily argue that there are unique circumstances every year.  Sure.  But I don't quite remember a time when so many heavyweights were crippled.  And Houston always has matched up well with the Spurs.
                      2. The Pelicans pick: You have to trade it this season.  I don't think bringing in a rookie next season onto a team with title aspirations represents very good return.  You could point to Big Papa as a counter-argument, but I'd mention that he's a seasoned veteran from his play overseas.

You never want to tinker with a winning formula.  But I also would not want to enter the postseason feeling like I did not load up on all the ammunition I could get my hands on.

#16 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,526 posts
                      • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:39 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that the Thunder will miss the playoffs?

Apart from the Lakers can you name a team who is worse than the Durant/Westbrook less thunder. Ibaka is good and will grow from this experience and maybe I'm overreacting since they've been without Perry Jones and Lamb and Reggie also, but they look bad. Plus you have Sacremento, Phoenix, And Denver pushing for a spot. The Jazz have a ton of talent and if Kanter continues to shoot the 3 and spread the floor, they'll be a 35-40 win team as well. Durant/Westbrook are out for 2 months plus 2-4 weeks playing back into shape and getting into rhythm.

Why so Serious? :D

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 3,650 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

The Thunder very well may miss the playoffs, but I will wait and see on this one.  It all depends on how their record looks at mid-season and if teams are running away at the top or if, like some have mused, the playoff cut line will be lower this year because teams are going to knock each other off more due to general strength across the conference.

As for Rahat's point, I only somewhat agree about the league being wide open.  Your points are valid; however, they are focused on the Eastern Conference.  Aside from OKC, which I will not write off until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, the Western Conference (the one that matters) is LOADED.  So what if OKC falls from grace--they will be replaced by Phoenix, an improved Denver team, or New Orleans (sorry, I'm not buying the Jazz yet).  The odds are we aren't getting the 1 seed anyways (prove me wrong Houston!), so we aren't really getting a break here.

The Clippers will figure it out.  They have too much talent to think them an afterthought plus they are built to hit us at our weakest while neutralizing our strengths.  Golden State is playing like this is a video game.  This is what they look like these days:

...a parade of shots all going in plus swarming defense and a solid bench (I had forgotten the moves they made).  They have Iguodala, David Lee, Ezeli (an athletic big), Livingston (a 6'6" PG), Barbosa, and Speights coming off the bench.  That is really darn good.

Portland, Memphis, Dallas, San Antonio....I'm sorry, but to call the league wide open I think is a misnomer.  Yes, it is wide open in that there is no telling who is going to come out of this Battle Royale, but it's not like the Eastern conference of recent years in that one dominant team can pencil itself in for the Finals.  Quite the opposite.  There are 7 teams that are legitimately eye-balling the Finals this year.  Six of them are going to be disappointed.

I think Houston would be remiss to sacrifice the future on an "all in" trade right now.  There is simply no way to guarantee a Finals berth in this conference this season.

I think this team can win the WC this year--as constructed.  Yes, it would take some heroic performances from Harden and Howard along with solid contributions from the rest, but isn't that the case for any team that makes it to the Finals?  That's how it works.  This roster fits together really well.  Nobody is being asked to do more than they can do (unlike last year) and so we are getting fantastic production from each position.

I'm willing to say goodbye to a couple of names if it nets us a solid upgrade at the 1, the 4, or on the bench.  Will anyone miss Capela?  I also agree that the Pellies pick will likely never see itself in a Rockets jersey.  What can we get for Capela, the Pellies pick and one of Bev/Jones (since ideally we are replacing one of them)?  Dragic?  Horford/Millsap?  Monroe?  Ainge has shown that Rondo's price tag exceeds that for sure or we would already have him.  Morey would probably personally drive those guys to the airport if it got us any of those names above (maybe not Monroe).

It's one thing to say, "we need to make a move", and it's another thing to make a good move.  We are limited to what's available.  We are hand-cuffed by the demands of other GM's and the salary cap.  We must be cognizant of how any change could affect the team as a whole.

This is why I believe we could see smaller moves.  Could we pry Reggie Evans away from Sacramento for Capela?  He is a proven commodity that gives opposing PF's fits, rebounds like he hasn't eaten in a week and the ball is his meal ticket, and knows his role better than anyone in the league.  Would the Rockets look at Kris Humphries?  He's decent on both ends and could shore up the bench at PF.

To reiterate, I think the big deals are few and far between and I think the ones out there are going to cost far too much without cementing us as Finals favorites.  I do think lots of teams will be looking to make tweaks that could make us stronger top to bottom without giving up much at all.

Let's all remember, plenty will happen between now and February.  For all we know, Beverley and Jones become untouchable by then....anything's possible  B)

#18 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 277 posts
                      • LocationHouston

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:46 AM

unless we trade for a star player, i think the pellies pick and our trade exception get pooled to get a solid 6/7th man off the bench at the trade deadline for us. (8.3 million trade exception). That way we don't lose depth, just gain it. That being said, I think reggie evans would be a bad fit for us, he would clog the lane, especially if playing with Howard, I'd rather grab Jason Thompson from the kings if we made a trade with them.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#19 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,203 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:39 AM

I like Thompson, the nuggets have some interesting guys like Gallo/Arthur/wilson chandler, as do the bucks illy/mayo/middleton, philly Wroten/Mcdaniels/sims. Not stars or even likely starters but to pick up solid bench guys for relatively cheap if we can't land a home run deal.

#20 Steven

Steven

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • 1,877 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:18 AM

I think Brandon Bass might be available come trade deadline. Rockets wouldn't have to give anything up, just absorb his salary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users