Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  YaoMan : (23 October 2015 - 04:49 PM) Zach Lowe seems to think the Rox are the biggest threat to GSW: http://grantland.com...-16-nba-season/
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2015 - 04:36 PM) Hey if yall want a good podcast to listen to, find the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast on Itunes, Rahat just did a Rockets preview with the host.
@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash

Photo

The Red94 2014-2015 Houston Rockets Season Preview

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

New post: The Red94 2014-2015 Houston Rockets Season Preview
    By: Rahat Huq

It's now 5:45 AM at the time of writing.  I went to bed at 1:18 AM.  Soooo, you do the math - I'm not exactly awake right now.  But this cup of coffee on my desk will give me a good hour and this preview isn't going to write itself.  So away we go.  This piece won't be styled formalistically in the manner of years past because I could literally fall asleep here at any moment, so we'll do a stream of consciousness of my current thoughts.  Starting with Chris Bosh because I'm still depressed.  Do you guys realize that were it not for eleventh hour panic offer from the Miami Heat, this preview would be titled something like "Why the Houston Rockets are the favorite to win the NBA Championship"?  That really hurts.  I'm still excited about the season because, it's basketball, and I run a basketball blog, but the pain from that turn of events still lingers...not just because Terrence Jones seems to have somehow regressed from last season.

James Harden's scoring will reach closer to 30ppg than 25 as he and Russell Westbrook will jockey for the top two spots on the scoring league leaders list; this is pretty much inevitable with Kevin Durant out, Lebron probably relinquishing the load, and Kobe closing in on his 40th birthday.  Westbrook might average 35 a game and I mean that.  (That would be 35 shots a game, of course).  But Harden is looking better than ever after a summer as Team USA's leader, and will have even more responsibility with Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin both now playing in bigger markets.  There of course is also the still lingering criticism of Harden's defense, more pervasive than ever...which naturally will lead him to expend even greater effort upon trying to outscore his opponent.  I jest.  Sort of.

Jeremy Lin was an underestimated loss even if he exhibited less confidence in himself than Kenny Smith trying to bring the ball up against Derek Harper in the '94 Finals.  (If you don't know, Youtube it.  He literally couldn't bring the ball up).  But Lin, for his flaws, and an ego made of glass, was still a threat that could attack the rim and hold the defense accountable.  Each backup from the current crop has his own qualities, but it will have to sort itself out.

Trevor Ariza was the most underrated signing of the offseason as his presence now legitimately gives the team three very good to elite defenders in its starting lineup.  In a sport that suits only five men per team at any given time, that jump from two to three is very, very, very significant and will be a fascinating variable to monitor as the season progresses.  The team will miss Parsons' versatility in the pick and roll, but in the aggregate, I'd venture to guess that Ariza's contributions on the other end will offset the offensive loss.

Ariza and a new defensive scheme could be just what the doctor ordered, though it remains to be seen if the hiring of T.R. Dunn will be accompanied by the latter.  The team last year, it seemed at times, did not have a scheme except "play hard...play harder", so any evolution on that front, one would guess, would yield abundant returns.  (It's interesting that for as great as Patrick Beverley is individually, his effectiveness dips drastically against pick and roll coverage...and even more interesting that this has never been addressed).

Dwight Howard is the NBA's forgotten man because after years of public vilification (all probably deserved after his embarrassing handling of the initial Dwightmare in Orlando), no one outside of Houston seems to even care that he exists.  And that's fine by me; Hakeem flew under the radar for years.  But I remain alone, it seems, in the opinion that the big man's performance last summer in publicly humiliating Robin Lopez was not truly indicative of anything upon which to rest future weight.  It was a perfect matchup against a guy that simply had no chance.  Whether Howard can repeat that type of play against the Thunder or Clippers is a question to which, sadly, few who follow this team would respond in the affirmative.  And that's unfortunate, because with this current manifestation of the Rockets, such production from Howard would be requisite to pull off such an upset.

Still, it seems surreal at times to see the broad-shouldered specimen standing in the team's caricaturely hideous duds and think "Dwight Howard is a Houston Rocket."  He's still awe-inspiring at times, and still the game's pre-eminent center, even if that title doesn't hold the weight it linguistically should.  Howard's personal transformation, from last season to now, has been drastic, evoking memories of Olajuwon's spiritual rebirth in the mid 90's.  He is happy, he feels wanted, he feels vindicated in his decision, and he knows what's at stake.  But is he good enough?

There were spurts last season where I uttered the blasphemous words on this very page, that he "looked like Olajuwon", displaying sequences of moves I never thought possible.  There was also the night Andrea Bargnani shamed him.  Dwight Howard remains an enigma but alas, an enigma I am oh-so-grateful to have on my team.  He's undoubtedly worth every penny of the lucrative max contract to which the team signed him last summer.

Harden will score, Ariza and Beverley will breathe life into the team and its identity, and the club will waver between the top-middle few spots in the West.  They could even be better than last year.  But ultimately, the eventual fate will rest upon the coming deal Daryl Morey has yet to have made.  There are names to be had, from Rondo to Millsap, and any one, coupled with a defensive resurgence, could very easily vault Houston to the very top of the standings.  Again, we wait, but in the meantime, we witness the present transformation.  With Parsons gone, how far will Houston dip in the offensive rankings, and with Ariza in tow, how high can they climb on the opposing list?  The gold standard is top-10 on both sides and that goal would appear to be very much in sight.  Can they shore up their wounds at the power forward spot after being decimated at that position last April?  Again, for the second consecutive season, that '4' hole is Houston's biggest concern entering the new year.  What happens there will very likely determine Houston's eventual landing.

#2 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 214 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'm probably too optimistic, but we'll be better than last year.  The defense is much better, and I think we'll definitely be top-10 and maybe fringe elite now that we have an excellent perimeter stopper in Ariza.  We'll certainly miss Lin's play-making skills, but the shooting off the bench is strong and deep (Daniels, Terry, Cannan) and K-Pop is an interesting and dynamic two-way player who is away ahead of schedule in making the transition to the NBA. 

PF might still be a problem, but there is strength in numbers with T-Jones, D-Mo, and Adien bringing different skills to different match-ups.  It is easy to underrate T-Jones, but his play against Duncan shows his tremendous potential.

Last year, Johnny Gold started the forum on a great discussion of basketball IQ.  I'm still not sure exactly what it is, but as a team we seem to have more of it, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Now that Howard is here a second season, Morey has constructed a roster in which the pieces fit better. It will be a very good year--exciting on the court and on the trade front.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

I'm excited for the season as well. I too believe we will be better this year even before any potential trades. I also want to stickup for Rodney Dangerfield.......er T-Jones :lol: Yes LMA took him to school in the playoffs, but it seems everyone has drawn a conclusion from that event. T-Jones had a very good year last year, yet the lack of respect his efforts have garnered is surprising to say the least. he was a young second year player taking the load of starting PF for the first time, put up respectable numbers, but because of a couple of bad matchups we are ready to trash him? I disagree with anyone who think he isn't the best PF prospect we have. I like D-Mo but T-Jones is more likely to become our answer at PF than D-Mo IMO. LMA, Blake Griffen and Ibakka are stars for a reason. T-Jones wasn't the first to be roasted by one of these players. first year players often have to take their lumps the hard way. however many here talk as if we have nothing at the position. CHUCKY BROWN. does that name ring a bell? that was our starting PF in the 94-95 championship run. we are good enough at the other position to allow both T-Jones and D-Mo to continue to mature at the position. I don't understand the panic concerning PF. could we use an upgrade? YES, but what player on the market is better than what we have? and don't give me Milsap. I like Milsap, but he isn't going the shut down LMA or Blake Griffen. he's going to get toasted just like T-Jones or D-Mo. every teams has weaknesses. it's the team who can play to their strength without having there weaknesses exposed who will prosper. both T-Jones and D-Mo bring certain things to the table. if we had a reasonable coach who knew how to read matchups better he could get the best of both players and that would be enough to fill PF. I'm not going to go on a McHale bashing spree, but this is one of the areas he is weakest. without the proper guidance it's up to the players to find their way. one more point on McHale and I promise to leave him alone :lol: player development was suppose to be one of his strengths, yet in my time watching him I have found it's also one of his weakest areas. any teaching going on with D-12 will be from Dream and I haven't seen one(McHale the player) move he has taught anyone. no one on the team seems to be prospering from anything this dude is teaching. ok......ok I'll stop :lol: you know me when it comes to McHale :) back to T-Jones and D-Mo............panic is unwarranted. what do you think? I don't believe there is a player on the market who will be enough of an upgrade over these two to warrant cleaning out the war chest of prized assets. unless ATL decides to move Al Horford no other PF is worth that

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,137 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

I'm probably too optimistic, but we'll be better than last year.  The defense is much better, and I think we'll definitely be top-10 and maybe fringe elite now that we have an excellent perimeter stopper in Ariza.  We'll certainly miss Lin's play-making skills, but the shooting off the bench is strong and deep (Daniels, Terry, Cannan) and K-Pop is an interesting and dynamic two-way player who is away ahead of schedule in making the transition to the NBA. 

PF might still be a problem, but there is strength in numbers with T-Jones, D-Mo, and Adien bringing different skills to different match-ups.  It is easy to underrate T-Jones, but his play against Duncan shows his tremendous potential.

Last year, Johnny Gold started the forum on a great discussion of basketball IQ.  I'm still not sure exactly what it is, but as a team we seem to have more of it, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Now that Howard is here a second season, Morey has constructed a roster in which the pieces fit better. It will be a very good year--exciting on the court and on the trade front.

Like you, I think we are fine and am excited for the season.  There are rumblings that all these signings point to an eminent trade--for that we'll just have to wait and see.

Regarding the B-ball IQ thing, I think we are better now than we were last year.  Harden has made great strides here.  I think D-Mo and Jones have improved as well.  I think Bev is pretty smart and K-Papa seems to "get it" too.  Jason Terry knows the game.  I still don't think we possess any of the truly elite "IQ" guys, but that is ok.  A group of above average guys can suffice (Sorry Dwight, you didn't make that cut  :( ).

Ariza is a smart defender and plays within himself on offense (what made him look so atrocious as a Rocket before was being asked to do too much).

I am not ready to dismiss this team without even seeing them play (no, pre-season does not count) a game.  It surprises me at times that people get lost in individual numbers and lose sight of team concepts.  Losing the individual numbers of Parsons and Lin, on paper, seems awful--I get it.  Lin is going to have a field day putting up 18 & 8 on a nightly basis in LA (maybe even better) while leading the Lakers to the bottom of the lottery.  Picture Jrue Holiday or Brandon Jennings--they put up numbers too--just not in the win column.  This will be Lin this season.

Parsons will likely maintain what he produced last season.  His usg% won't move much and his minutes, if anything, should decline a tad.  If he pulls this off then good for him, but I think Morey made the right call in not matching.  Hindsight 20/20 we would have sign+traded him, but I believe everyone, including Chris Bosh, thought he was coming to Houston.  It may have been a blessing in disguise and I loathe the way it is portrayed as some sort of failure.  We offered Bosh as much money as was possible and it wasn't enough--Miami had more.  That's not our fault that's just league rules and a man who saw an extra $30M on the table.  Get over it people.  How many teams didn't even get a sniff from the stud free agents this Summer?  Answer: most of them.  (by the way, where do you think lots of this chatter comes from?  New York/LA?  Yup.)  Do you know what failure is?  Nick Anderson missing 4 consecutive free throws to ice an NBA finals game.  That's failure.

Moving on, our first unit is going to lead the league in steals and be top 5 in opp fg%.  The offense is going to be the same as last year--Ariza can do what Parsons did--or close to it.

Our second unit is going to be awesome.  I know McHale is likely to leave some starters in, but I'd love a full 5-man second unit.  We saw them play some solid ball on both ends of the court this pre-season (and often against first-teamers).  I'd like to see that continue to develop.

2.5 more days....

#5 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,636 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

Agreed.

#6 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 475 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

I'm excited for the season as well. I too believe we will be better this year even before any potential trades. I also want to stickup for Rodney Dangerfield.......er T-Jones :lol: Yes LMA took him to school in the playoffs, but it seems everyone has drawn a conclusion from that event. T-Jones had a very good year last year, yet the lack of respect his efforts have garnered is surprising to say the least. he was a young second year player taking the load of starting PF for the first time, put up respectable numbers, but because of a couple of bad matchups we are ready to trash him? I disagree with anyone who think he isn't the best PF prospect we have. I like D-Mo but T-Jones is more likely to become our answer at PF than D-Mo IMO. LMA, Blake Griffen and Ibakka are stars for a reason. T-Jones wasn't the first to be roasted by one of these players. first year players often have to take their lumps the hard way. however many here talk as if we have nothing at the position. CHUCKY BROWN. does that name ring a bell? that was our starting PF in the 94-95 championship run. we are good enough at the other position to allow both T-Jones and D-Mo to continue to mature at the position. I don't understand the panic concerning PF. could we use an upgrade? YES, but what player on the market is better than what we have? and don't give me Milsap. I like Milsap, but he isn't going the shut down LMA or Blake Griffen. he's going to get toasted just like T-Jones or D-Mo. every teams has weaknesses. it's the team who can play to their strength without having there weaknesses exposed who will prosper. both T-Jones and D-Mo bring certain things to the table. if we had a reasonable coach who knew how to read matchups better he could get the best of both players and that would be enough to fill PF. I'm not going to go on a McHale bashing spree, but this is one of the areas he is weakest. without the proper guidance it's up to the players to find their way. one more point on McHale and I promise to leave him alone :lol: player development was suppose to be one of his strengths, yet in my time watching him I have found it's also one of his weakest areas. any teaching going on with D-12 will be from Dream and I haven't seen one(McHale the player) move he has taught anyone. no one on the team seems to be prospering from anything this dude is teaching. ok......ok I'll stop :lol: you know me when it comes to McHale :) back to T-Jones and D-Mo............panic is unwarranted. what do you think? I don't believe there is a player on the market who will be enough of an upgrade over these two to warrant cleaning out the war chest of prized assets. unless ATL decides to move Al Horford no other PF is worth that

i was going to say Horford...glad i read your whole post lol. Also, i'm probably the only one left, but im still high on josh smith at 13.5 mil a year as a PF. I mean, 13.5 million after the cap jump is gonna be like 8-9 million now (so ariza type money). Which would be a steal. And he's signed through 2017. Plus, he can guard the LMA, Duncans, Dirks of the world. Maybe not griffin, but really who can?

On nov. 16th (terry exception expires) trade terry, papa, and one of DMO/Jones and 2nd rounder (or two)/nick johnson/troy daniels for J. Smoove. And you still have your pellies pick and a 8.3 million trade exception to go get one more piece. Say....goran dragics 7.5 million fits nicely in there.

a line-up of

pg--dragic, bev

sg--harden, dragic, daniels/johnson

sf--ariza, garcia

pf--j smoove, (one of jones/dmo)

c--howard, black/dorsey (my personal prediction that might be actually true: Okafor after the all-star break)

i mean...i know its not bosh/parsons/harden/bev/howard, but its close right?

p.s. no i don't think jsmoove is coming to houston as i actually think svg will fix the issue by ignoring/benching/staggering monroe and go with a drummond/smith frontline which will be a dominate defensive interior.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#7 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

Cap wouldn't work Losthief.

#8 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 475 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:16 AM

? how come?

Cap wouldn't work Losthief.

a) there so much more wrong with the trade than that, but

but for the sake of clarity: b ) how so, the josh smith trade would go thru as the trade is within the 125% mark for taxpaying teams, which are we? i think we are, its confusing cause all the cap numbers aren't set. If not, doesn't matter cause if were not taxpaying its outgoing plus 5 mil. So still good. Then, we can use the trade exception to fit dragic if im not mistaken, as the trade exception still counts as cap space. I could be wrong though...as my knowledge of trade exceptions is relatively sparse.

Edited by Losthief, 27 October 2014 - 12:16 AM.

LoSTHieF

#9 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,636 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:39 AM

Oh forgot about the trade exception, my bad so it is possible, can't imagine Morey going after J-smoove though. Low IQ undersized PF who won't stop taking long 2s on a horrible contract.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:52 AM

@Losthief

gotta agree with Buckko here J-Smoove is a terrible move for us. bad contract, bad player, bad attitude, spells no deal to me. I bet Detroit would give him away if they could find a taker

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 475 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

@Losthief

gotta agree with Buckko here J-Smoove is a terrible move for us. bad contract, bad player, bad attitude, spells no deal to me. I bet Detroit would give him away if they could find a taker

fair enough. if you think he's a bad fit then I won't argue with you. I actually think he the exact opposite of tjones, basically he's the defensive version of tjones, which for our team i feel is a better fit. But if he's got a bad attitude (didn't know that) I won't argue with you about him not being a good fit. And i agree, we would have to tell him not to shoot long 2s if we got him...like ever!

LoSTHieF

#12 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 168 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

I agree with the OP. Ariza's presence really could be the x-factor in making the otherwise disappointing summer an overall success. I know the 'contract year' gets thrown around with him, and the stats show it, but that may or may not be the case going forward.

Another thing is we've got several spunky, high-upside, young bench guys who, I think, at least one of which will really have break-out '6th/7th man' type of year. Out of Canaan, Papa, Jones, Moti, Daniels, and even Johnson, I think there's at least one serious break-out in there, maybe two. Our second unit is a question mark, but more of an intriguing question mark, less of a shaky one.

While the West is competitive, I think it's more of a dogfight this year than some realize. OKC added NO depth this summer (Morrow does not count) and they've got obvious injury stuff. Not gonna count out my beloved Spurs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took a slight step back. Portland really did nothing. GS could maybe be better and finally live up to potential?? Dallas's summer evened out in the end.

Anyways, all that to say: Houston is still definitely in the conversation about making the conference finals. Not that many things have to go right for them to make it there. More defined defensive strategy (especially in key situations, eg. the Portland series... so frustrating...), continued H&H gelling, one or two young break-out guys... these could be enough to do it! Even if these don't happen until the time April rolls around, I'm at least optimistic.

#13 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 172 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

<br /><br /><p>With all due respect, I'm not a lifer here, so I'll say what everyone else in the world seems to know. There is a reason that major writers are putting the Rockets below the Mavs despite having the two best players on either team - McHale. The write up in the SI Preview issue was brutal - the easiest team to coach against? the closest thing to streetball in the NBA? Well, the guy's probably right, and that's unfortunate because it means that the Rockets might survive the regular season on talent alone and get wamboozled in the playoffs. Now this is just a personal opinion by an unbiased semi-observer, but isn't this the real way to contend this year: play mediocre basketball early on, bringing about a coaching change; then find a way to get a point guard (Rondo?) So you can bring Beverly off the bench?</p>

#14 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,188 posts
                • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

<br /><br /><p>With all due respect, I'm not a lifer here, so I'll say what everyone else in the world seems to know. There is a reason that major writers are putting the Rockets below the Mavs despite having the two best players on either team - McHale. The write up in the SI Preview issue was brutal - the easiest team to coach against? the closest thing to streetball in the NBA? Well, the guy's probably right, and that's unfortunate because it means that the Rockets might survive the regular season on talent alone and get wamboozled in the playoffs. Now this is just a personal opinion by an unbiased semi-observer, but isn't this the real way to contend this year: play mediocre basketball early on, bringing about a coaching change; then find a way to get a point guard (Rondo?) So you can bring Beverly off the bench?</p>

I do wonder about the criticism of McHale as a terrible coach for the playoffs. I mean, I wouldn't say he's an outstanding coach by any means, but during the key moments of the playoffs he did actually get quite a few things right (putting Asik on Aldridge and trusting Daniels in Game 3 are two things I remember in particular from that series). It's valid and fair to criticise the stuff that the Rockets run in late game situations, I suppose (especially since they were the primary reason the Rockets lost that series), but on balance I didn't think he came out of that series too badly. YMMV, obviously.

ST

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:40 AM

@Sir Thursday

totally disagree. McHale stunk during the Portland series. for every 1 thing he did right there are 5 things he did WRONG. that's the reason I started calling for his head soon after the series. he looked totally confused and crumbled under the spotlight. when the heat was on he melted like ice cream left in the sun. just because the Rockets elected to give him another year he won't suddenly learn how to coach. he will fail just like he's been doing. our only hope is the players coach themselves or a talent upgrade makes his shortcomings as a coach less noticeable

#16 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 475 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:48 AM

rockets don't usually make coaching changes midseason. So....it would have to be like....disastrous start not just mediocre. That said its mchale's final year of his contract w/ no extension talks i've heard about, so there's that against him.

LoSTHieF

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:02 AM

@Lostheif

I agree it's very unlikely the Rockets make a midseason coaching change. probably even if disaster strikes they will stay the course. it's just the way they do business. somebody has to really be screwing up to get canned midseason. they are not the kind of front office to shake things up like that unless McHale does something to bring shame onto the organization and that's highly unlikely. so we're stuck with him for the year :blink: gotta hope for the best while preparing for the worst. I'm trusting Morey on this one.

#18 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 172 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

I don't think that they need to wait until the end of the season to make a coaching change if they believe one would be in the best interests of the team. Again, with all due respect to McHale, he doesn't have anything close to the resumes of Rudy, JVG and Adelman that would demand a certain amount of leeway for midseason difficulties. With this level of talent, you've got to wonder how ESPN has the Rockets fourth in their own division. Well, we'll see, but with a better 4 seemingly unavailable, the only major moves would be a coaching change or a PG.

Anyway, less than 24 hours from now, and we have the Rockets and my forlorn Lakers at Staples. The Laker crowd and Dwight; Bev covering JLin; Harden against Kobe. Hopefully we'll keep it close - let the games begin!

#19 AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

When you play a role that's new to you and you get benched for the slightest mistake, I would imagine that affects your confidence or "ego" according to you....but I doubt you and the rest of the Houston media are capable of grasping that Rahat.

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,137 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

When you play a role that's new to you and you get benched for the slightest mistake, I would imagine that affects your confidence or "ego" according to you....but I doubt you and the rest of the Houston media are capable of grasping that Rahat.

tumblr_mlsmy1ljp01qmgcj7o1_400.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users