Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (02 August 2014 - 05:26 PM) I don't think he would play for a team without real championship possibilities
@  Buckko : (02 August 2014 - 02:33 PM) Anyone see marion going to the pacers now since they have a disable player exception and lack a wing.
@  Buckko : (02 August 2014 - 02:24 PM) PG just suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula. Would be a lot worst if he hurt anything knee related.
@  Buckko : (02 August 2014 - 02:23 PM) West's contract is too big at 12m.
@  jorgeaam : (02 August 2014 - 06:21 AM) And then we might be able to go for west if the price is right, altough I don't think he benefits us a lot having T-Jones
@  jorgeaam : (02 August 2014 - 06:20 AM) It remains to be seen the extent of PG injury, but I guess if it is really serious they might try to blow it up and build it again while he recovers, a team carried by West and Hibbert will go nowhere
@  miketheodio : (02 August 2014 - 05:39 AM) if pacers go full rebuild, do you try to get david west?
@  jorgeaam : (02 August 2014 - 03:11 AM) Looked like Shaun Livingston's injury from years ago
@  jorgeaam : (02 August 2014 - 03:08 AM) I would say by watching it he's out for the year
@  jorgeaam : (02 August 2014 - 03:08 AM) Wow, Paul George suffered a gruesome leg injury in team USA scrimmage game
@  thenit : (01 August 2014 - 12:18 AM) Of course he does because they are good friends, it's bragging rights. So I take that pride with a lot of sallt
@  txtdo1411 : (31 July 2014 - 07:02 PM) If you all haven't watched the video of PG, KD, and Harden taking turns going one on one... Check it out. It is definitely entertaining and shows Harden at least taking pride in stopping KD.
@  slick shoes : (31 July 2014 - 06:04 PM) Rockets v Mavericks preseason opener October 7th. Let the countdown begin.
@  jorgeaam : (31 July 2014 - 03:25 AM) So it seems Kevin Love to the Cavs is a when not an if, things just got better in the east
@  bboley24 : (25 July 2014 - 02:32 AM) D League or not... he's here and he's working out with the best... it's good for all around... Sergio.
@  Buckko : (25 July 2014 - 12:16 AM) Well shots fired between harden and parsons.
@  majik19 : (24 July 2014 - 09:09 PM) He'll spend likely the whole season with the D-league team. He's 4th on the depth chart, at best.
@  txtdo1411 : (24 July 2014 - 03:51 PM) I like it as well YaoMan. You can't ever have enough long and athletic big men. It will be nice to see how he develops.
@  YaoMan : (24 July 2014 - 03:40 PM) Rockets sign Clint Capela and has been added to their regular season roster - I like this. He's got a high ceiling...
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2014 - 03:11 AM) live by the three, die by the three.

Photo

I'm the cornerstone of this blog. Everyone else is a role writer.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

New post: I'm the cornerstone of this blog. Everyone else is a role writer.
    By: Richard Li

See what I did there? Couldn't resist! Now that everyone has had a chance to simmer down slightly, let's attempt to have a somewhat rational conversation about what has recently transpired.

Harden's quote

He shouldn't have said it. Regardless of how truthful the statement is, almost all people would agree that it was better left unsaid. Human beings are fascinating and fickle creatures. For some reason we can be perfectly content with knowing something, but blow a gasket when someone has the temerity to say what we all know. When deconstructed, this behavior seems strange, even hypocritical. Nevertheless, for the purposes of maintaining relationships, it is a social and professional code to which everyone adheres.

For instance, your boss is more important to your organization than you are. He just is. The CEO of your organization is more important than your boss, and definitely more important than you. Every person in your company shares this opinion. No one is fooling themselves into thinking otherwise. However, the CEO is unlikely to publicly announce his/her more important position relative to you. He/she will not send an all staff e-mail proclaiming that he/she is the most important person in the company and that everyone else less important. Nor will the CEO tell anyone this in person. Doing so makes his/her subordinates think poorly of him/her and damages the morale of the company. In fact, most people in such positions will go out of their way to appear humble and "like everyone else." CEOs might, for instance, work with their subordinates in completing some menial task such as setting up or cleaning up.

Similarly, the most attractive person in a group of friends is not going to tell everyone else that he/she is the most attractive, even though everyone knows. The smartest student in a group is not going to tell everyone else that he/she is the smartest, even though everyone knows. And the best player on a basketball team is not going to tell his teammates that he is the best, even though everyone knows. Except that he did. Oops.

The back-patting side of me feels vindicated because I actually wrote about this exact scenario, referencing when my former boss told our then office that he was a visionary while the rest of us were worker bees. Regarding the Rockets' "inferior" players, I wrote, "They don’t feel like their roles are valued. They think their role is just to run around until the more important guy isn’t tired any more." Harden's quote, unfortunately, seemed to dovetail with these sentiments perfectly, and it doesn't speak well of the team's chemistry.

All that being said, I still don't think it's a big deal. Far worse mistakes have been made in far worse contexts. Bruised egos have healed before. If anything, this might be the catalyst required for the team to directly address its issues related to its institutional culture.

Everyone hates the Houston Rockets

Not really. I completely understand that, through the lens of Houston Rockets fans, it can seem like the team is being attacked from all sides. That's the inside-out perspective. However, the outside-in perspective is that... well, there just aren't that many people looking in from the outside. This is a Google Trends chart for the Rockets, Howard, and Harden.

[caption id="attachment_14515" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Cornerstone Click for a full-size version[/caption]

The reference point for interest is when the Rockets lost Game 6 to the Trailblazers. Nothing in the past 90 days has come close to reaching that level of interest in the Rockets. Lin's trade to the Lakers comes in second (for the Rockets), at not even 40% as much interest as Game 6. Howard's episode with the underage woman created about 50% as much interest for himself as Game 6 did for the Rockets. And then we have Harden's recent quote. You can see the very tiny bump it created at the very end of the chart, generating something like 10% of the interest for himself as Game 6 did for the Rockets. The attention the Rockets receiving matters to us, as insiders. But to outsiders, it's just a blip.

I understand the feeling of camaraderie that being portrayed as an antagonist can create, and "nobody likes us" certainly has been an effective rallying cry for many organizations. But let's not lose perspective, here. There's enough spin out there in internet land; we don't need to contribute to it.

#2 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 432 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Apparently that blip in interest is caused by vulture hacks (not you, Richard) hungry for news, any news. Damn this is a slow time of year for an NBA fan.

Unfortunately big egos are a huge component of professional athletes, and tact is not. While a certain individual may have taken to pouting and moping after hearing this from the team leader, I think these guys will rise to the challenge to prove they are more than just role players. Let's hope this lights a fire under their ass. I ran Cross Country in HS, and our coach was an accomplished marathoner as well as being a legendary coach. During the middle of a 5:30 mile in a workout, he would race up from the back of the pack and scream in your ear: "I'm an old man, and I'm running circles around you (he was) pick it up, get your ass in gear!" only to continue to the front of the pack where guys were running sub-5 minutes to do the same, and drop back to the 6 minutes guys and freshmen, rinse and repeat. ALL. DAY. LONG. EVERY. DAY. The result was district and state championships and 7/14 guys on our varsity squad earning all-american honors. McCullough '89-'90.

#3 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 207 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

<br /><br /><p>You're right Richard. I'll just stick to writing about corner threes.</p>

#4 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,077 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

I agree with the part that it's just not news, or at most a blip. Watching basketball for a long time now I have to say in another era what Harden said would go unnoticed. One because normal media coverage is an absurd distortion of reality oftentimes and two because people are just too dang sensitive. Why would I worry about Harden's teammates feelings about what he said that was taken out of context? I like basketball not soap operas, just let the lockerroom do what it does.

Alituro I remember McCollough. I ran for Humble from 1988 to 1990 in cross country, the 800, the mile and two mile. Y'all were dominant for sure.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#5 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 432 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Alituro I remember McCollough. I ran for Humble from 1988 to 1990 in cross country, the 800, the mile and two mile. Y'all were dominant for sure.

Brother! Cool, I'm sure we've shared the same field at some point. I got out of CC in '90 never better than JV squad. I can honestly say that outside of my parents, my coach was without a doubt the single most influential figure in my life, bar none. Even at that young age as I exited athletics for the partying scene, his voice was always the bug in my ear telling me to keep it cool. He taught me to give everything my best effort or don't bother doing it if I wasn't willing too.

#6 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,077 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

We probably raced against each other, I was on JV two years and then ran part of my third year with varsity before I also lost interest to the party scene. I guess we were just role players on those cross country and track teams no?

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#7 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 432 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

We probably raced against each other, I was on JV two years and then ran part of my third year with varsity before I also lost interest to the party scene. I guess we were just role players on those cross country and track teams no?

Yes indeed, just role players, case in point: '89-'90 District JV CC meet in Kingwood, 4 miles. I came in 12th in the race, but alas, my points didn't count because I was the 7th to finish on my squad. :o

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 3,338 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the article, Richard.  Two thoughts.

First, you leave out the context that Harden was being asked a question by a reporter not just strolling into the office, locker room, what have you and announcing his greatness.  Yes, he could have been more delicate--we all agree there--but I don't think I agree about the severity of it nor the way you paint the picture.

Second, the Google chart is interesting; however, I am not sure it is representative of the demographic doing the majority of the trash-talking.  Most NBA fans who are serious enough about the sport to bother hating Houston already have their go-to sites bookmarked and whatever forums they use locked and loaded.  They most likely will not show up here; rather, the casual fans who hear "water cooler" talk will be the ones doing the searching to figure out what other people are talking about.

Still, I do agree that it is overblown from our perspective.  There is a loud, vocal minority that leads the way for those who prefer others do the thinking for them.  The bottom line is none of their opinions make any difference in the end.

Also (in case anyone missed it), Reports are that Parsons and Harden "kissed and made up" in Vegas while practicing with Team USA.  I'd lay money that when our first game against them arrives reporters/broadcasters will dredge up the "feud" and ignore the part where they both agreed it was a non-issue and the media was fanning the flames of that fire.

#9 Steven

Steven

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,726 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I say Rahat comes in and changes the name of the author of this column to himself. For he is the Godfather. The rest of you writers are just pledges. ;)

Nice read Richard.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,796 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

@Richard LI

good chart, but I agree with JG most Rocket haters already have chosen spots. I think it's not the amount of attention that our main complaint was targeting........it's the fact that all of the press no matter the amount was negative. I can count the articles that gave favorable review to the Rockets on 1 hand, while the negative review articles were spread across the web like frosting on a birthday cake. it seemed the media was  looking for anything they could to trash the organization and team.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,333 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

What is positive about the offseason? Unless you're biased for the rockets, this offseason was a swing and a miss. Now the amount of bad publicity the rockets are getting is a bit much. On the other hand, I have seen positive articles about nick Johnson on bleacherreport.

Why so Serious? :D

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,338 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

What is positive about this off season?  Let me think.......

Lin is gone.  Asik is gone.  We got a major defensive upgrade at SF.  All of our players have had time to work on their games and improve.  Clint Capela.  Nick Johnson.  Alessandro Gentile.  The Hornets' draft pick.  A lot of young, hungry players who are going to be fun and exciting to watch.  Finding out who the new assistant coach will be.  The crazy Lin fans are (mostly) gone.  We inked Troy Daniels.  The League has not issued any new rules that affect drawing contact fouls at the rim.  Despite what most everyone else thinks, we did not get egg on our face by not signing Bosh or Melo.  So far, they have not altered the jerseys to anything atrocious.  Clutch won the Mascot Leadership Award (yes, that's real).  Our rivalry with Dallas just got better.  Tim Duncan is a year older.  Manu is a year older.  Tony Parker is a year older.  Kevin Love is going to the Eastern Conference.  Kevin Love did not join the Warriors.  The Lakers still suck.  The Jazz still suck.  The Blazers added Chris Kaman.  Kevin Durant is likely going to leave OKC in 2 years.  We are still a legit title contender with this roster.

Other than that....yeah, I guess the sky is falling.   :P

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,796 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:45 AM

@JG

agreed.................it's all a matter of perspective. most of the writers who put out negative articles watch less than a handful of games a year. to believe what they say is creditable against my own eyes is foolish. the fact that most considered Parsons a rising star player told me the lack of knowledge they had pertaining to what is really happening within the team and organization. I think some of it was backlash because of our recent run of successful moves. some even have leftover hate for D-!2 or Harden, but the vast majority have very little concrete knowledge because they simply don't watch enough. I seen David Thorpe today said Parsons guarded Durrant better than any other player in the league and started laughing. he must not be paying attention when Durrant is torching us for 30 and 40 point games. he must not have heard Durrant proclaim we couldn't hold him last year while he did it :lol: my point is if you need creditable information about us you're unlikely to find it in a national story. they simply write from past opinions more than current facts

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#14 Jatman20

Jatman20

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 83 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Depends on ones perspective, like an over-hyped movie that leaves you feeling underwhelmed. The Rockets brass sent messages saying they needed to get that third star in order to win. I'm in the belief that "Role Players", such as Beverley/DMo/Terrence will get better. So Hardens comments are meant to counter most individuals current depressed state with the old , "no one is irreplaceable bit." "As long as D12 and I are balling, we have a chance."
                I'm sure that comment is directed to season ticket goers. Harden also recoginizes he was a "Role Player" while with OKC. Just means a complimentary piece.....no harm no foul. People need to get a thicker skin (Lin and Parsons).

I'm the one who went to the over-hyped movie not expecting much.....and actually felt good about what I saw. Defense wins championships.
                Now the Rockets present defenders at 3 positions (C/SF/PG)......the offense will still be there regardless. BTW I saw Harden in clips from USA basketball game. He looks like he has lost some of the belly fat...... it appears.

Edited by Jatman20, 02 August 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#15 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,508 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

I feel like harden will truly compete for an MVP this year. He showed us he could definitely crank it up another gear after the ASB and I expect that for the whole season.

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 3,338 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

The guy who I think is going to surprise is Patrick Beverley.  I have said it before, and will continue to do so...the guy has an NBA-caliber offensive game.  He doesn't have any elite skills on that side of the ball (aside from grabbing offensive boards, perhaps), but he can shoot from deep, beat his man off the dribble, has a step back jumper, a floater, a runner, a spin move, can initiate contact while finishing, and just needs to work on his left hand (sound familiar?) to round it all out.  I think he knows his limitations and will play within those to maximize his effectiveness (Detroit has two guys who don't get this: Jennings and Smith...and that's why they lose a lot...both are actually very good players).  I think they will have sets for him working from the wings with guys cutting to the basket/spotting up from either corner.  He can make those passes and his floater is soft enough to give easy put-back opportunities for the cutters.  Plus, defenders will be focused on Harden/Howard which always helps.

Since we are all basketball starved here is another one of those "11 minute videos" that we all love.  This one has P-Bev's 2014 highlights.  It's a lot of spot up threes, but you can see his all-around game if you watch it all.  Enjoy.

#17 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 553 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Depends on ones perspective, like an over-hyped movie that leaves you feeling underwhelmed. The Rockets brass sent messages saying they needed to get that third star in order to win. I'm in the belief that "Role Players", such as Beverley/DMo/Terrence will get better. So Hardens comments are meant to counter most individuals current depressed state with the old , "no one is irreplaceable bit." "As long as D12 and I are balling, we have a chance."
                    I'm sure that comment is directed to season ticket goers. Harden also recoginizes he was a "Role Player" while with OKC. Just means a complimentary piece.....no harm no foul. People need to get a thicker skin (Lin and Parsons).
                    I'm the one who went to the over-hyped movie not expecting much.....and actually felt good about what I saw. Defense wins championships.
                    Now the Rockets present defenders at 3 positions (C/SF/PG)......the offense will still be there regardless. BTW I saw Harden in clips from USA basketball game. He looks like he has lost some of the belly fat...... it appears.

Lin agreed with hardens comments. It was the supposedly dispute between parsons and harden that created this situation.
                    The only guy who think parsons is a star is parsons himself.

Anyways JG I agree with most what you said about Bev, and his biggest asset is his tenacity and self awareness on what he can do and can't do. Therefore he never ends up with the ball in a bad spot. One thing though I don't think he is a good finisher around the rim and absorbing contact. He is better off with that good floater of his.

#18 Jatman20

Jatman20

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 83 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

I think so Thenit....I was referring to Lin about the jersey-Melo wearing number 7.... Which I commend Lin for later saying it was all about nothing. It would have been better if Morey smoothed things over instead of a Harden tweet; by saying Parsons will be missed; but our team shows great promise still. Emphasis on the continued positives....like (According to BasketballReference.com) Terrence Jones posted a PER of 19.1 last season(Bosh 19.0). I posted before the trading deadline how most of the PF's in the West (Griffin/Z-Bo/Duncan/Ibaka/Nowitzki/Aldridge) would school Jones in the post-season. Now Jones has gained some valuable lessons about playoff basketball.

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 3,796 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

@JG

I agree Beverly should see continued growth this year, however I'm still on board for upgrading the PG position. I also think the player who has the biggest potential to break out this year is T-Jones. I felt this past season only scratched the surface of his potential. I expect more than just a step this year.............I expect two steps. he should be at 16 and 9 nightly.

#20 Jatman20

Jatman20

Rookie

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 83 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Or the PER posted by Ibaka of last year (19.6)...nothing like a good "farm-system!!" Morey does a good job evaluating talent. Canaan, Troy, Nick Johnson (nice basketball I Q) have a chance to contribute to a greater extent than last year.. Let's not call them "role-players"; they are all, "Super-Stars!!!!" Even the ones with slightly higher than the average PER of 15 (Parsons 15.9). Nothing beats some good playoff experience thou for a win-now-attitude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users