Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (22 July 2014 - 03:11 AM) live by the three, die by the three.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:54 AM) 21% on three pointers by Canaan and company, damn.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:51 AM) Rockets Summer Leaguers shot 32%, rough ending.
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:01 PM) I refer to the writers, as yall due to the multiple of them. We are the loyal readers. I should've word it better.
@  rockets best... : (20 July 2014 - 06:12 PM) we and y'all are the same people :lol:
@  bboley24 : (20 July 2014 - 12:32 PM) who is we and who is yall?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 08:21 AM) Can we get a post about defensive improvement or yall waiting until the defensive assistant gets chosen?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:37 AM) With internal improvement, the defensive minded FA acquisitions, and hopefully a good Defensive minded assistant. The rockets will be closer to a top 5 D than top 10.
@  miketheodio : (20 July 2014 - 05:55 AM) i wonder how much better the starting 5 will be with a wing who actually plays defense
@  rockets best... : (18 July 2014 - 09:26 PM) Kendall Marshall is Ish Smith of a few years ago
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Lakers waived Kendall Marshall, hes decent.
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:10 PM) @ slick shoes - And I'm bringing muzzles for them ladies in case they feel the need to start!
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2014 - 07:06 PM) @YaoMan I got a bit nervous at the Bosh strike out but one: FA isn't over and two: it's a long way until the trade deadline. As the saying goes, "It's not over until the fat lady sings."
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:00 PM) @ slick shoes, great points. Just nervous energy while all productive FAs are starting to get snatched up!
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 05:24 PM) yeah i doubt they bringing these guys in with the expectation of them being great, we just need guys to soak up some min maybe a few pan out, maybe they don't.
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2014 - 04:53 PM) We could possibly be just filling slots and/or acquiring trade pieces at this point. Also keep in mind that these contracts are short and cheap which makes them moveable and also keeps us flexible cap wise.
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 03:52 PM) Adrien, Dorsey and Ish Smith signings (all ex-Rockets) don't impress me in the least...They do not replace any of the production that has left...
@  bladad : (18 July 2014 - 11:38 AM) At this point, would you let go of Wiggins or Kyrie? Lebron could just play point forward for the team...
@  08huangj : (18 July 2014 - 02:36 AM) Reports say that the Rockets just signed Ish Smith?
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 12:45 AM) I don't know if Id trade wiggins for love. Wiggins with lebron would wreck on D. having Irving love and waiters as generally minus defenders and no real rim protector could be a problem.

Photo

Epilogue: The Houston Rockets' Chandler Parsons decision

76 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

New post: Epilogue: The Houston Rockets' Chandler Parsons decision
    By: rahat huq

Sufficient time has elapsed now since the Houston Rockets' decision to not match the offer sheet signed by Chandler Parsons that I am confident it was the correct course of action.  I guess what they say is true: the passage of time truly does distance emotion.

Regarding Parsons' earlier comments this week aimed towards the Rockets: Initially, he clearly does not have much of a grasp of the rules within which the Rockets were needing to operate.  They had him "wait around" for Bosh and 'Melo because exercising his bird rights last was the only way they could make maximum use of the cap space at hand.  Either that point entirely escaped him or he simply couldn't understand why the team would prefer adding another good player along with keeping him rather than just keeping him and calling it a day.  If its the latter, that's perhaps an even more damning indictment of Chandler.

But setting all of that aside, the crux of the matter is that Parsons felt he was disrespected and deserving of a bigger role; he says he wanted to be viewed as a franchise player.  That's perfectly fine and reasonable: one would hope for such competitive pride from a professional athlete in the prime of his earnings.  But for our purposes, that perception of course falls far from the reality.  There's no use really belaboring the obvious and it would be unfair to pile on.  Anyone who has been paying attention knows Chandler Parsons is not a franchise player or probably even the third best player on a championship team.  He could not even win his matchup of "third best player vs. third best player" last May against Nic Batum of the Blazers.

But how to properly assess Parsons?  I wrote on September 1, 2013:

Quote:

It’s important to clarify here upon the distinction between actual and relative value.  Parsons’ value lies in his contract.  To wit, he is–bar none–the single best value contract in the entire league.  But if that salary were regularized across all players with an inspection upon solely on-court merits, then of course, much of that value diminishes.  I have almost no doubt that if, when Parsons’ contract is up, the team were in the same position that they found themselves in last summer–headed nowhere–and faced with a similar decision as they did with Goran Dragic, they would choose to let Parsons walk–as they did Dragic–rather than shell out market value.  Because they will not be in that similar situation, things get more interesting.

Ultimately, in that piece, I concluded that in a vacuum, Chandler Parsons was not worth even $10 million per annum, but if faced with the choice, on this team, Daryl Morey would comply.  I obviously was not expecting a $15 million offer.

As I noted in that 2013 piece, Parsons quickly became extremely overrated upon the Dwight Howard signing as numerous publications mentioned him as part of a Big 3.  That trend has continued this summer in the commentary pursuant to his pay raise.  Parsons isn't a star and never will be.  He lacks the physical attributes necessary to indicate future growth.  While he could improve his dribbling, he's simply too slow to ever beat anyone off the dribble.  The brunt of his production comes by way of filling the gaps: he can run the floor, shoot off the catch, and curl around screens.  Square him up against a defender, with a live dribble, and he's finished.

The most damning example of Parsons' limitations is the January 24th home loss to the Memphis Grizzlies, a career-night in which Chandler hit a record ten threes.  With the game on the line, and Parsons having been on fire all night off catch-and-shoots, Kevin McHale did what you'd expect Kevin McHale's mind to do: he put the ball directly in Chandler's hands, in isolation, to decide the game.  Naturally, Parsons was snuffed out, not even getting off a good look on multiple attempts.*

*A sidenote: this occasion was sadly, more than an indictment on Parsons, an indictment on the gross and total ineptitude of Kevin McHale.  It's one of those instances where one just asks themselves, "what am I overlooking?  There's no way he's this clueless."  I've never played basketball at a high level and I've clearly never played in the NBA or coached in the NBA.  Naturally, I err on the side of deference.  If someone is one of the fifty greatest to have ever done it, and he does something completely bewildering, then my natural course is to assume I'm missing something.  It's like the Parsons opt-out.  I know Morey's smart.  So when he did something so perplexing, I knew I had to be missing something.  Lo and behold, it has since come out that letting Parsons out a year early was likely a precondition set by Dan Fegan prior to the Dwight Howard signing.  Same thing here: this was so bewildering, as is the case with most of McHale's out of timeout plays, that I simply had to be missing something.  It's like you can almost follow the train of thought in his head as the hampster runs on the wheel: "hmm, Chandler has hit ten threes off spot-ups.  Naturally, he's hot - give him the ball to end it"....completely oblivious to the circumstances through which the shots were made!  But enough on this.

I think Parsons can improve in Dallas.  He'll certainly have the best coaching of his career, at least since his rookie season under Rick Adelman.  His stats might decline, however, as some of his production can be taken as pace-inflated.  And there are some hidden strengths in his game that a good coach will pick up on and put to use.  I noticed several times last season, that surprisingly, despite his lanky frame, Parsons has very good balance and body control in the post.  If I'm Dallas, that facet of Parsons' game is one I'd explore more deeply than the handful of possessions he was given here in Houston.

He's also no doubt a capable ball-handler in the pick&roll and usually makes the right decision.  With Carlisle's creativity (there's much on the internet to read about Dallas' efforts in making Monta Ellis as dangerous as ever), you can envision Chandler featured in some highly intricate attacks.  Here in Houston, with perhaps the best pick&roll combo in basketball, the Rockets naturally only ran the play what seemed like a handful of times the entire year.

Losing Parsons hurts.  If keeping him meant they couldn't further improve the team, then letting him go was the right decision.  But losing him hurts.  Today, they're a worse team, if for no other reason than that they lost their longest tenured player.  All of the chemistry built between the incumbent players is gone, as if it never even happened.  It will take time now, at the expense of wins, to gain familiarity with new faces.  But with Chandler they had a ceiling.  If they didn't feel they could improve the team, they couldn't pay him what he was asking.

#2 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 227 posts
    • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

This.  Well said, Rahat.

#3 John P

John P

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 94 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Two things:
      1) do we know that we will actually be worse with Ariza subbing in for Parsons? (sad that we can't control for also loosing Asik and Lin) At the end of the day, we didn't need that much O, compared to needing much more D. Ariza should give us that.
      2) I have regularly rolled my eyes at Morey worship, and comments that every little thing Morey does, even if the benefit isn't apparent today, is proof that he is a genius. However, in this Morey got it right. Maxing out the roster with Chandler eating up that much cap space is silly. We need to won now. Not wait and have to hope that Chandler takes another big step or three. We need another game changing player.....or two roll players of Chandler's capability, not just the one Chandler.

Nice job Morey. I don't know what assets, if any, we really have to trade now, except for Jones and Dmo (hardly highly demanded "assets") but maybe we can sign a third free agent of the Iggy type. Maybe trade for Millsap's expiring, etc...?

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 3,293 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Two things:
      1) do we know that we will actually be worse with Ariza subbing in for Parsons? (sad that we can't control for also loosing Asik and Lin) At the end of the day, we didn't need that much O, compared to needing much more D. Ariza should give us that.
      2) I have regularly rolled my eyes at Morey worship, and comments that every little thing Morey does, even if the benefit isn't apparent today, is proof that he is a genius. However, in this Morey got it right. Maxing out the roster with Chandler eating up that much cap space is silly. We need to won now. Not wait and have to hope that Chandler takes another big step or three. We need another game changing player.....or two roll players of Chandler's capability, not just the one Chandler.

Nice job Morey. I don't know what assets, if any, we really have to trade now, except for Jones and Dmo (hardly highly demanded "assets") but maybe we can sign a third free agent of the Iggy type. Maybe trade for Millsap's expiring, etc...?

1) Yes, that's what I've been saying about "fit".  I think it makes us better.  Morey preached it since we lost to Portland.  We get better through defense.

2) I don't think people around here do that, but I may be wrong.  I think Morey is running though his game plan.  It would seem that PG is our thinnest position (especially when you look at total experience) and we could use a veteran of some kind there.  I don't think Atlanta is giving Millsap away.  Trevor Ariza was the Iggy-type FA--there aren't really any others unless you count Shawn Marion (36 years old though).

I believe people are under-estimating the growth potential of T-Jones/D-Mo.  There is a reason we have held onto those two despite shipping out just about everyone else in the last 3 years.

Terrence Jones is practically a Josh Smith caliber player.  That's right.  I said it.  He's built the same, possesses similar athleticism and has a good handle like he does.  In fact, if you just looked at their stats you would think Jones was already the superior player (bettter shooting %'s and more rebounds).  I understand that their roles are very different and the quality of their teammates as well.  Jones just needs more experience ingraining proper NBA defensive fundamentals and we will be sitting on a stud two-way role player.  As an optimist, I believe he will figure it out.  I may be proven wrong, but he has shown continued improvement and doesn't it feel like he is right there?

D-Mo is in the same boat.  He needs a better feel for the game.  It's like he is always on a different frequency from everyone else.  In the post, when the game slows a bit--he moves too fast.  Outside, he is too slow.  On defense, he can't seem to move with the player without fouling him.  I am not the first to suggest he should give up the three ball for a while and stick to the post.  He is so close we can taste it.

People forget that Jones is 22 and Motie is 23.  That is very young for bigs who typically don't really get it going until 24-25.  Patience will be rewarded with these two.  Let them play.  Let them play.  Let them play!

(Bonus Astrodome nostalgia)

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,760 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

@Rahat

good post..........totally agree

@JG

I agree most seem to have forgotten T-Jones and D-Mo are youngsters who need time to finish developing. you are correct in your assessment "that's why we hang onto them". we have discussed it before (the fact that we might lose Parsons) but now that it's fact some act like he was Lebron. to really understand what Morey did you have to understand what Parsons is as a player. if he was a star in your eyes you're upset at us letting him walk. if he was simply glue or a good role player in your eyes it easier to understand why matching him would set the team back in the big picture. removing the emotion from the equation clearly allows Parsons to be seen for what he is (a good role playing glue guy)

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,687 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

You forgot to mention CP is also Cuban's newest buddy to hang out with at the local hotspots in Dallas.....

Edited by rocketrick, 17 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,760 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

if  Parsons fail to live up to that contract........Cuban likely won't feel like partying

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 97 posts
        • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Good points Rahat. I do have one other observation about Parsons...

There is a basic contradiction within the concept that he is a great glue-guy, and important to team chemistry. Based on Chandler's recent comments as to who he feels that he is talent-wise, wouldn't his attitude be more than just a little annoying to many of his teammates? Some statements of his hint of an oversized basketball ego... Maybe we are actually going to benefit from his absence more than anyone might expect.

#9 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 213 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Good points Rahat. I do have one other observation about Parsons...

There is a basic contradiction within the concept that he is a great glue-guy, and important to team chemistry. Based on Chandler's recent comments as to who he feels that he is talent-wise, wouldn't his attitude be more than just a little annoying to many of his teammates? Some statements of his hint of an oversized basketball ego... Maybe we are actually going to benefit from his absence more than anyone might expect.

I think his main point is that we undervalued his talent and felt "disrespected" by that. Everyone' is entitled to their own opinion.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,760 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

@slick shoes

just because he believes he is on par with Love, Bosh, Melo doesn't mean we have to drink the kool-laid.

#11 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 213 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

@slick shoes

just because he believes he is on par with Love, Bosh, Melo doesn't mean we have to drink the kool-laid.

I never said I agreed with his opinion or the events that happened. Just that I think that that's where hes coming from.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,760 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

@slick shoes

I know.............I fully understand your previous post. I was just making the point that Parsons needs a reality check if he believes he is on par with top players in the game

#13 YaoMan

YaoMan

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

@slick shoes

I know.............I fully understand your previous post. I was just making the point that Parsons needs a reality check if he believes he is on par with top players in the game

According to the latest ESPN article - Parsons backpedals a little bit saying he never meant any disrespect but thought of himself as the 3rd best player on a championship team (or something to that effect). I don't think he believes he's on par with Love/Bosh/Melo but he thinks his market value is fair for the 3rd best player on a team, which I disagree with.  I think Stephenson, while a headcase, is far more talented than Parsons and is making 6 million less than Parsons. Also Parsons would need to be in a great system to be the 3rd wheel of a Championship team like the Spurs or that Detroit Championship team coached by Larry Brown.  And we both know both those teams are atypical and definitely not the norm...

So I completely agree with your sentiments!

#14 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,299 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Parsons can be the third best player on a championship team if there's very little drop off from him to the 4th, 5th and 6th best players. So a team like the 2011 Mavs, the Pistons of 2004, etc...

Why so Serious? :D

#15 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 335 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

Losing Parsons is going to hurt the Rockets.
            He was the only player on the team other than Harden who could and would set up his teammates.(The idea of Ariza dribbling towards the basket fills me with horror.) Having a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio is going to be missed.
            His locker room influence is going to be missed as Parsons seemed to get along w/everybody and smooth things over.
            OTOH,matching meant a core of Howard,Harden,Parsons and assorted other role players. But are the Rockets better off w/Parsons and a min player or Ariza and another $8mil player?

However,since the Rockets are going to bring Tracy McGrady out of retirement,it's all good :)

#16 The Duke of Earl.

The Duke of Earl.

• Members
            • Pip
            • 2 posts
            • LocationTygh Valley, OR

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

Well written Rahat. First time post and long-time reader. I love this website because you guys are hands-on with Houston Rockets Basketball. I liked Chandler Parsons, but not at $15 Million a year. I watched almost every Rockets Game. But when they played Teams from  1-3 (Thunder, Clips, oh except Spurs) Parsons never showed up. If Harden and Howard weren't ON, Parsons was not to be seen even though he played heavy minutes, he couldn't get average more than what he did. He is a okay player but not max. I hope that we (#REDNATION) get some solid role players and why not try to sign Eric Bledsoe whats his nickname (Mini-LeBron) Bledsoe and Pat Bev at the PG spot would be solid. we would have an amazing defensive backcourt.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 3,760 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

@Stephen

do you believe without Parsons our locker room will break out in a fight or something? I beg to differ we need to knock some of our players out of their comfort zone. to much playing around.

@The Duke of Earl.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) Bledsoe would be an excellent acquisition only if the asking price is right IMO

#18 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

Phx offering Bledsoe 4yrs 48 which is what Lowry got if I'm not mistaken, It'd be hard to justify paying more than that.

#19 Jatman20

Jatman20

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 79 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

I didn't like the idea of going after Melo (long-term) or Bosh for the reported cost. Seems like the Rockets are shifting from offensive to a defensive mentality. I like the pick up of Nick Johnson and Ariza/ Gee. Capela has future potential on defense. Wait and see on Dorsey......noted his improved performances in Europe (hope it translates back to the states-NBA). Don't care the Ish signing. I liked Parsons at his rookie pay....I don't mind him walking with his average PER. He will excel as a complimentary piece in he PnR of Dirk & Monta or fast pace Dallas will run; but he is still overpaid!

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,760 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

@Cooper

I would go 13.5 per on Bledsoe. he does worry me on the injury front, but there is no denying his talent. he is star level. not one of the high tier stars, but capable of being the third best player on a championship team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users