Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (22 July 2014 - 03:11 AM) live by the three, die by the three.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:54 AM) 21% on three pointers by Canaan and company, damn.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:51 AM) Rockets Summer Leaguers shot 32%, rough ending.
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:01 PM) I refer to the writers, as yall due to the multiple of them. We are the loyal readers. I should've word it better.
@  rockets best... : (20 July 2014 - 06:12 PM) we and y'all are the same people :lol:
@  bboley24 : (20 July 2014 - 12:32 PM) who is we and who is yall?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 08:21 AM) Can we get a post about defensive improvement or yall waiting until the defensive assistant gets chosen?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:37 AM) With internal improvement, the defensive minded FA acquisitions, and hopefully a good Defensive minded assistant. The rockets will be closer to a top 5 D than top 10.
@  miketheodio : (20 July 2014 - 05:55 AM) i wonder how much better the starting 5 will be with a wing who actually plays defense
@  rockets best... : (18 July 2014 - 09:26 PM) Kendall Marshall is Ish Smith of a few years ago
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Lakers waived Kendall Marshall, hes decent.
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:10 PM) @ slick shoes - And I'm bringing muzzles for them ladies in case they feel the need to start!
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2014 - 07:06 PM) @YaoMan I got a bit nervous at the Bosh strike out but one: FA isn't over and two: it's a long way until the trade deadline. As the saying goes, "It's not over until the fat lady sings."
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:00 PM) @ slick shoes, great points. Just nervous energy while all productive FAs are starting to get snatched up!
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 05:24 PM) yeah i doubt they bringing these guys in with the expectation of them being great, we just need guys to soak up some min maybe a few pan out, maybe they don't.
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2014 - 04:53 PM) We could possibly be just filling slots and/or acquiring trade pieces at this point. Also keep in mind that these contracts are short and cheap which makes them moveable and also keeps us flexible cap wise.
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 03:52 PM) Adrien, Dorsey and Ish Smith signings (all ex-Rockets) don't impress me in the least...They do not replace any of the production that has left...
@  bladad : (18 July 2014 - 11:38 AM) At this point, would you let go of Wiggins or Kyrie? Lebron could just play point forward for the team...
@  08huangj : (18 July 2014 - 02:36 AM) Reports say that the Rockets just signed Ish Smith?
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 12:45 AM) I don't know if Id trade wiggins for love. Wiggins with lebron would wreck on D. having Irving love and waiters as generally minus defenders and no real rim protector could be a problem.

Photo

What's left on the market for the Rockets?

31 replies to this topic

#1 jorgeaam

jorgeaam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure that everyone in here knows about the Rockets failed efforts to pursue a FA this season (except  for Ariza), so I'll skip that part and just go ahead with my post:

Of the few players left in FA, the only "quality" players (which will help the team in some way)  which are left are:

Eric Bledsoe 

Greg Monroe 

Ray Allen

Shawn Marion 

Emeka Okafor 

Andray Blatche 

Jameer Nelson 

Aaron Brooks 

Jimmer Freddette

Of the group, only Bledsoe and Monroe are restricted free agents, and considering the Suns have all the cap space and willingness to match offers for Bledsoe, Allen's pondering retirement or signing with the Cavs, and my thinking that Aaron Brooks will have some respect for himself and not sign again with the team that traded him last season, the remaining players we could have are:

Monroe, Marion, Okafor, Blatche, Nelson, Freddette.

Of the above only Monroe figures to be a starter, and we have the salary cap to get him at $15 million (which might be overpaying a little bit for him, but that was what Parsons contract is worth). I think that with SVG running the show at Detroit and having Drummond and J. Smith already in the team they would find it hard to match an offer that high for him (Even though SVG has said Monroe is their priority).

But problem is Monroe isn't by any means a stretch-4, he's more of a traditional PF who'll get his points from midrange shots and post ups, so I'm not sure he'll be a great fit in the Rockets system, but he would anyways be an upgrade over Jones.

Okafor would be the perfect backup center now that Asik is gone, he's actually a guy who's career per 36 min are 14 and 11, and he would probably come at a cheap price given he spent all of last season recovering from a back injury.

Marion is a great defender even though he's 36 years old already, but I think that our chances of getting him are low as he wants to go play for a title right now.

Blatche and Nelson would just be nice role players to fortify our bench. I like Freddette because he is a great spot up shooter and would be a great option for Harden to kick out to. But he's undersized and a nightmare defensively, still he would probably come pretty cheap and provide some quality minutes off the bench.

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,760 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

not one person on that list interest me outside of Bledsoe. the rest except Monroe are scrubs

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

If we had gotten bosh, I would be all in for adding vets like Allen, matrix, okafor, Nelson etc. But now not sure I'd rather see some of the young guys we have or how much they'd want to come anyways.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 3,293 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

Given that we just inked Dorsey and Adrien I don't see us going for Okafor.  If Marion wants to be a bench guy who can fill in as a starter in case Ariza goes down I am ok with that....otherwise, I like our youth.  Of course, that is if Kostas isn't coming--which all accounts point to him being on the roster.

It looks like the Rockets are forgoing size for speed and athleticism at the center position.  I'm excited about Dorsey....loved the pick back in the day....hopefully he has returned to the guy he was in college.

#5 Steven

Steven

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,709 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:55 AM

The Rockets aren't going to sign anyone else for more then the MLE. They did a three team sign and trade for Ariza, to stay over the cap so that they could keep the MLE.

@JG I hated the Dorsey pick, wanted them to bring back to Houston DeAndre Jordan.

Edited by Steven, 17 July 2014 - 02:57 AM.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,293 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:29 AM

That's right...I forgot that was the Nic Batum trade as well.  We drafted Batum and swapped him for Dorsey....so much hindsight it hurts.

#7 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,687 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:50 AM

The Rockets definitely need to bring in a veteran PG in my opinion. Just not much to pick from in free agency. Perhaps Morey and the Rockets have their eyes on another 3rd string PG like a Kyle Lowry was back in the day on another team. Too bad we still don't have Skip to my Lou to offer back.............

#8 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 103 posts
          • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

Any chance to get Dragic back to Houston?

#9 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,687 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

Any chance to get Dragic back to Houston?

I sort of expect the Suns will eventually make him available by the Trade Deadline. Dragic is a very good player but I don't think he fits with the Rockets vision of our Big 3 to add to D12 and Harden. Rather they are probably looking at Rondo, Kevin Love, Paul Milsap, those type of players, as our 3rd and final missing piece of the Big 3.

Dragic will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the upcoming season and he'll probably be in the $10+ million per season price range, more than the Rockets can afford.

Edited by rocketrick, 17 July 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#10 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 213 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Given that we just inked Dorsey and Adrien I don't see us going for Okafor.  If Marion wants to be a bench guy who can fill in as a starter in case Ariza goes down I am ok with that....otherwise, I like our youth.  Of course, that is if Kostas isn't coming--which all accounts point to him being on the roster.

It looks like the Rockets are forgoing size for speed and athleticism at the center position.  I'm excited about Dorsey....loved the pick back in the day....hopefully he has returned to the guy he was in college.

Kostas Papanikolaou (I had to look up the spelling) will not be joining the squad this season apparently. Word on the street is there are complications regarding his potential contract.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 3,293 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Kostas Papanikolaou (I had to look up the spelling) will not be joining the squad this season apparently. Word on the street is there are complications regarding his potential contract.

Yeah, I saw that this morning.  Too bad.

#12 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,299 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

That's not a great contract for someone in his situation.

1) it's not a huge raise.
            2) his buyout was 1.1 million euros so that deal was pretty crappy.

He will probably wait a few years to when the rookie contract no longer applies and he's no longer under contract by FC Barcelona.

Why so Serious? :D

#13 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,687 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

That's not a great contract for someone in his situation.

1) it's not a huge raise.
              2) his buyout was 1.1 million euros so that deal was pretty crappy.

He will probably wait a few years to when the rookie contract no longer applies and he's no longer under contract by FC Barcelona.

According to ESPN Insider, Papanikolaou's contract buyout for this season is $1.5 million, of which the Rockets could contribute the maximum of $600,000 without it counting against the cap as a signing bonus.

Further, ESPN Insider reported that the contract buyout for next season is significantly less (no figures quoted) and that Papanilolaou would probably stay overseas just 1 more year (this season) before being signed by the Rockets.

Edited by rocketrick, 17 July 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,760 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

he's still trade bait though

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#15 YaoMan

YaoMan

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Andray Blatche wouldn't be bad to add size in the frontcourt for backing up D Howard if the Rockets can get him cheaply. 10.5pts, 49%fg, 5rebs. and .6 blocks (avg the past 2 seasons) off the bench in 20 minutes of action is actually quality role production.

#16 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Blatche is still looking for pretty big money.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,760 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

@Cooper

true very true, but if he gets down to a reasonable price I would take a flyer

#18 YaoMan

YaoMan

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

@Cooper

true very true, but if he gets down to a reasonable price I would take a flyer

Definitely. He's no where near the offensive liability that Asik was and his defense, while not as good as Asik, isn't bad...

#19 bernardo

bernardo

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

Boozer aparentely wanted to play with us but the lakers won the amnesty auction. Poor boozer. Ish smith inked in a 1 year deal, can he be our backup PG? Don't remember what he did last year with phoenix.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 3,760 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

@bernardo

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) I watched Ish Smith last year. he has improved since the  last time he was here. he's a decent floor general and his shot started to come around. he is a quality backup. while not flashy he is consistent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users