Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:14 AM) Some nice moves to the basket as well. It seemed like he was more comfortable passing as the game went on; hope that keeps up. Lot of potential with this roster.
@  cointurtlemoose : (27 December 2014 - 04:11 AM) He definitely helped us in winning that game. Those two offensive rebounds and at the end of OT were massive. Some really great passes as well.
@  BenQueens : (27 December 2014 - 04:05 AM) No, not the only one. But we saw a lot of what Smith brings to the table, too.
@  jorgeaam : (27 December 2014 - 01:37 AM) Am I the only one who cringed while watching Smith pulling up for a last-second 3 Pointer?
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:31 AM) Smith getting good looks at the rim.
@  Cooper : (27 December 2014 - 01:06 AM) took the clips to 7 in the playoffs last year without him. I think they will adjust but they clearly have taken a step back.
@  Mario Peña : (26 December 2014 - 11:44 PM) I am just finishing up the GS Clips game and the Warriors look pretty weak without Bogut. It's just one game but I'm not impressed by their attempt to circle the wagons.
@  SadLakerFan : (25 December 2014 - 07:37 PM) OK. That's the move. Rockets are all in this season with Smith. Good risk.
@  08huangj : (25 December 2014 - 01:04 PM) Another christmas present for us fans: Jones can do running and jumping drills now.
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) Merry Christmas guys!
@  RudyT1995 : (24 December 2014 - 11:21 PM) Another lefty! Merry Christmas!
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:14 PM) It seems he was assured he would become the starter
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:11 PM) Josh Smith has committed to signing with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He clears waivers at 5 PM today.
@  jorgeaam : (24 December 2014 - 06:10 PM) How about this for a christmas surprise? From Wojnarowski:
@  Mario Peña : (24 December 2014 - 05:39 PM) Right, not a good Christmas surprise for my friend rockets best fan.
@  YaoMan : (24 December 2014 - 04:57 PM) Interesting news. I think it's good but RBF may not like it... ;)
@  Mario Peña : (24 December 2014 - 04:50 PM) Just in from Stein, McHale gets big three year deal with no team options.
@  Mario Peña : (24 December 2014 - 04:49 PM) I hear you Yaoman , at least Dallas and GS lost.
@  YaoMan : (24 December 2014 - 04:24 PM) Mario, if hot head Russell could have hit both free throws, Lilard's shot would have been moot...
@  Mario Peña : (24 December 2014 - 06:42 AM) Totally enjoyed the Lakeshow taking the Warriors down, if only the Thunder could have held on.

Photo

Embracing the void

74 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

New post: Embracing the void
    By: Forrest Walker

This hasn’t been the best week for the Houston Rockets. Starting with the moment Chandler Parsons signed an offer sheet in a nightclub to the moment the Rockets declined to match that offer, everything that could go wrong seemingly went wrong. What at first looked like risky but positive moves have now culminated in what can only be called a step backwards. It may be in the interest of taking a much larger step forward, but there’s a gap between this Rockets team and the one that stepped off the court in April. There’s a void.

The natural response is to shy from it, to turn away from that void and pretend it doesn’t exist. It’s easy to view this week through any number of lenses that ameliorate the unhappy knowledge that there’s a gap. That gap is there whether we look or not, and depending on the outcome of this summer, the void may spread out and negate the entire season. Unless a major move is made, the Rockets have stepped back from even the marginal contention they were at before. There’s no use in ignoring it. The only option left is to acknowledge this void, to embrace it.

There will be thousands of words spent explaining why the choices made were the right ones. We’ll talk ourselves into Trevor Ariza again, and we won’t be wrong. There will be fun wins and there will be talk of making a move to contend and there will be unfounded hope. People plus sports will always bring us this. What this roster won’t bring is a Finals berth, but that’s also true for the majority of teams. Only a few ever have a legitimate shot at it. For a few hours, the Rockets seemed to be one of those elite teams, but then reality set in. Now we have the void.

The narrative of the Rockets this season pivoted at about five p.m. central time on Friday. Instead of the world in which Bosh joined the most terrifying five-man unit in the league, the Rockets are instead a living embodiment of Icarus. The perception in Houston, the feeling in the organization and the world of the more level-headed pundits may be that the Rockets made the right moves and happened to miss out. In a broader sense, general manager Daryl Morey tried to fly to the sun and his rocket ship melted on the way. In some other universe, perhaps most universes, Morey and Bosh are planning their press conference together. In the one we’re forced to live in there’s no Bosh. There’s just an empty spot where he could have been, and another void where Parsons used to be.

It’s almost too much to comprehend. It would be one thing for the Rockets to swing and miss. Lots of teams swing and miss. Most do, in fact. Each superstar can only be on one team, and some teams have a few of them. That’s not what defies reason. The amazing part of the Daryl Morey Rockets is how they miss. Apart from his major home runs in acquiring James Harden and Dwight Howard, Houston’s failures have been memorable and improbable.

When the 2009 Rockets pushed the Lakers to seven games without Yao Ming or Tracy McGrady, a brutal run of bad luck in losing two stars turned into a rush of hope. The Rockets would have been a dangerous up and comer… except that their stars were aging, they were in win-now mode and they didn’t know yet that they had seen the last meaningful minutes from their stars. After losing in the first round again and again, at least the Rockets had lost in the second. But even that scant hope would be dashed as Yao Ming’s attempted recovery drew out Houston’s period of irrelevance lottery picks out from 2010 to 2012.

As insult to injury, the Rockets managed to miss the playoffs with a winning record three years in a row. They did the impossible, however, and blasted back to relevance and potential contention by trading for James Harden without ever tanking out. The Rockets somehow made the playoffs in 2013 against all expectations and even pushed the Thunder to six games before losing in round one. They barely lost two of those games and even looked like they had a shot at coming back from the dreaded 0-3 hole. It was, of course, not to be. This is, of course, to say nothing of the improbable way the Rockets managed, through the hardest of efforts and the most amazing of circumstances, to lose to the Portland Trail Blazers in six games in the first round. Lillard’s .9 second shot in game six of that series is yet another item in the vault for Houston.

This was only after having a seemingly-completed trade for Pau Gasol go down in flames the year before, and having Dwight Howard summarily turn them down in his first free agency hoopla. The infamous “basketball reasons” struck from nowhere to blindside the Rockets. This time, it was Pat Riley. Chris Bosh, who had spurred Moreys advances (and, famously, his iPad) before, was reportedly in the final stages of working out the finances of his contract when Riley and the Miami HEAT struck. Riley’s supermax offer to Bosh was reportedly a last-ditch attempt to keep him, and it worked. Contrary to endless reports and indications that Bosh was moving to Houston, the deal was shattered. Jeremy Lin and a draft pick were even traded to make way for it.

What began as an off-season in which the Rockets planned to either gain a star or tweak the roster, the Rockets lost two starter caliber players in Asik and Parsons, lost their own draft pick along with a rotation player in Jeremy Lin and ended with Trevor Ariza and Alonzo Gee. When most teams swing, they either get a base hit or a strike. When Morey’s Rockets step up to bat, every hit is a home run. On the other had, Houston doesn’t seem to be able to get a simple strike. Instead, the ball explodes on contact with the bat and somehow kills the catcher. It’s impossible to ignore this narrative any longer, if Houston ever wants to move past it.

We can’t pretend everything’s fine in Houston. We can only embrace the void and come out the other side.

#2 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Or we can get Rondo.

#3 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,201 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

For me if it's a choice between last years team both how it fit together and it's best case scenario expectations versus what is shaping up to be next years roster, the unknown of how it will fit and it's best case scenario expectations then I will definitely take the latter.

Let's look big picture. Knowing what we know now, I think last years team wasn't going to work going as far back to the acquisitions of Asik and Lin (which didn't really fit entirely for different reasons) plus the fact that Parsons was going to get overpaid, the Rockets desperately needed Bosh to sign with them to even seriously consider keeping an overpaid Parsons with that dangerous contract.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#4 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,798 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the article, Forrest!

I choose to embrace the void rather than be locked into a team that is good, but not good enough to compete forTtitles.

You made my morning!

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 3,725 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Count me as one of the people who does not feel the same way--not even a little bit.

I am pleased with our team going forward.

I have read in multiple places posts tallying up the Rockets' offseason and then mocking/scorning the team/front office for it.

I could not disagree more.

It goes something like this:

Gone: Asik, Lin, Parsons, multiple 1st + 2nd rounders (which is not accurate), no Bosh, no Melo, no James...all you got was Ariza and Gee.

Sure, if you do math like this where each piece has a simple +1 value then we came out poorly.  But that's not what we're dealing with here.

First, it must be noted that I 100% agree with Rahat's stance that Morey swinging for the fences, and the moves associated with it, were solid and I'd be fine with him doing that 10 times out of 10.  So, when he....

Moved Asik, who was never going to stay and play back up for another season, and his large cap hit and larger salary for a 3&D wing (who we can simply waive if we like) which we need more of....it was a good move.

When he traded Lin, whose value can be widely debated, and our first for next season (which at the time was presumed to be 30 or 31 in the draft) and his same big cap hit and bigger salary for some euro dude....it was a good move.  We lost a player who didn't fit in, was only good about a third of the time, and ate up too much cap space for that kind of contribution.  We only have so many roster spots and are already up to our eyeballs in prospects.  What on Earth are we going to do with another guaranteed contract next year for, essentially, a second round talent?  It's all addition by subtraction there (as RBF has noted elsewhere).

Parsons...so much second-guessing here.  I feel like, if these were older times, the villagers would be storming the castle calling for Morey's head.  Time will show that Morey made the right call here.  Nothing I can say now will dissuade those who feel differently.  All I can say is we are on the right side of this deal.  Parsons got his, and good for him, but there is no way we could match that offer without already having a 3rd star inked to a deal....(and that would be egregiously over-committing to a title run, but I believe that is what would have happened)

Which brings us to the free agent "whiffs".  I don't understand the perspective so many have here.  So much hyperbole has come out about how terrible this is for us.  You know what's worse?  Being one of the 24 or so other teams in the league who weren't even worth considering.  Sure, Bosh said no.  Melo said no.  It doesn't have to be personal (we don't know their reasons) despite haters and fans alike making it seem so.  There was no guarantee that Melo coming won us anything except more air time on TV.  Bosh, while perceived as the panacea for our team, also guaranteed us nothing and may have faded even further into the background not having James' elite play making anymore.

I just don't see the big deal here.  I think it's a little sad to view the season as a failure already.  Apparently, we can't do better now.  We can't make it to the finals.  We can't beat anyone in the playoffs.  What?!?!?!!?  I guess I'm more of a Tigger than an Eeyore.

0512-0709-1416-4020.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm a pragmatist.  However, when it comes to sports, it's all about the joy of the game and the vicarious pleasure of watching others do their best.  Remember, they're just playing.  It's supposed to be fun, not what's the point of it all if we don't win a championship.

Much has already been said on Ariza.  That was this season's version of Atlanta signing Paul Millsap.  Our team is significantly better with him at SF than Parsons.  Again, most won't believe me--we'll just have to wait and see.

Believe it or not, there are still lots of quality players available.  After signing them, I think we will have ourselves a very exciting, young team next season that is hungry and ready to take down some of these juggernauts who have already been anointed as better than us.

#6 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,623 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

New plan A, tread water for two seasons, lose Dwight, gain durant. If plan A fails, damage control as we could lose harden in two seasons after that. FSS that durant dream might be our last hope now.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 3,725 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

It just occurred to me that a lot of fans view talent acquisition as the game--not the game itself.  Interesting....

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,019 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

@FSS/rocketrick

I agree embracing the void is the best plan. people seem to think this team as built last year was ready to win a championship when nothing could be further from the truth. WE NEED CHANGE

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#9 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 226 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

It just occurred to me that a lot of fans view talent acquisition as the game--not the game itself.  Interesting....

I've been noticing a growing trend toward that kind of thinking too.  It's become a disease, and I think it's a by-product of fantasy football.  

You can't treat people like assets in real life.  Real people have feelings and memories.  They will hold a grudge.

#10 John P

John P

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 101 posts

All is lost...all is not lost.

Consider this, were we ever going to win a championship with the three best players being Harden, Howard and then the drop off to, but still paying max money to, Parsons? No No No.
              So people should really let that sink in.

Were we really going to win a championship with Lin as our starting PG or even 6th man. Maybe, but not at 8MM cap hit a year. He just wasn't consistent enough.

Asik, is a different story in my book, he is a great defensive center, "when engaged" he brought it every game and even out D'd Dwight many times.

But when you can't win with a core three that involves a max paid Parsons, then you have to swing for the fences if you really care about winning a championship. that involves trading Lin and Asik and whoever else isn't core to winning that championship.

That is why really only Harden and Dwight (until they become non-allstar caliber) are the only players worth keeping.

If complainers really want something to complain about I guess it is releasing Chandler early. That is what really people should be angry about but that isn't a totally irrational move.

Basically, life sucks and you can't always win....so when you lose you adjust.

We didn't win Bosh (much better fit and player than Melo for this team) so we had to adjust. That means staying as flexible as possible to make a run for a real game changer. A real game changer is not Parsons.

So Ariza, gives us help at our biggest need from last season, wing D, and shoots better 3s than Parsons (less athletic though but with Harden and Dwight you need better 3s than anything). that is at least 75% of Parson's worth at 1/2 the cost. Thats getting a BMW for the price of a Ford. I will take it and live to fight, and trade for top talent, another day.

Also, Love, Rondo and lots of others players will be moved before the deadline, all of which can help us.
              Hang in there.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 3,725 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

What if winning a championship isn't necessary to be happy with your team?

#12 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 226 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

What if winning a championship isn't necessary to be happy with your team?

Honestly, I'd settle for a team that is likable and fun to watch.  I'm not sure if this team will be either of those this upcoming season.

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,019 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

@RudyT1995

I'm sure we are in a better place today to build a better team

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#14 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,798 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Actually, I think the Rockets this upcoming season will be very likeable and fun to watch.

For one, the Rockets will have better role players around Harden and D12. Let's face it, Lin and Asik were just square pieces being forced into round holes. I would have preferred not losing Parsons, but I am fine with the Rockets decision. Ariza will take over Parsons minutes and provide better defense on the wings, one of the Rockets glaring weaknesses last season.

Parsons 37.6 minutes per game
                  Lin 28.9 minutes per game
                  Asik 20.2 minutes per game
                  Casspi 18.1 minutes per game

Total 105/240 minutes per game

Keep in mind Parsons, Lin's and Asik's mpg increased during the playoffs while Casspi received 0. In fact, 108/240 minutes per game during the playoffs.

So a lot of minutes available for other players. Ariza will get most of Parsons minutes, TJones will probably get about the same minutes more or less. Same with D12 and Harden and Beverley.

Still, about 68 minutes per game to slot with other players. I would expect the Rockets will have much better role players around D12 and Harden and those minutes could turn into better production and overall better play for the Rockets. Most importantly, find role players that can make a difference on the defensive end of the court as well.

In summary, I look forward to what the new season brings with this team. For sure, there will be some missteps as new players get comfortable with their teammates and vice-versa. I also like the youngsters that we have and I expect 1 or 2 to become legitimate NBA rotation players.

It will be fun to watch this team grow and improve during the season and let's see if we can do some damage in the Playoffs while we wait for that final piece to be discovered that can possibly put us over the top!

Edited by rocketrick, 14 July 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#15 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 226 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Actually, I think the Rockets this upcoming season will be very likeable and fun to watch...  

I would expect the Rockets will have much better role players around D12 and Harden and those minutes could turn into better production and overall better play for the Rockets. Most importantly, find role players that can make a difference on the defensive end of the court as well.

I hope so man.  Having an active, energetic bench would go a long way toward making the season more fun.  Better than watching a mopey Asik anchor the D and an erratic Lin lead the O of the second unit at least.  

We need a rim protector that plays 10-15 mpg and a veteran playmaking PG still.  It'll be interesting to see what Morey is able to do with the money that he has left.  

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 3,725 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

I've been noticing a growing trend toward that kind of thinking too.  It's become a disease, and I think it's a by-product of fantasy football.  

You can't treat people like assets in real life.  Real people have feelings and memories.  They will hold a grudge.

You may be right about the fantasy sports thing.

I am not on board with this anti-asset wave that has been rolling through and getting bigger and bigger over the last year.  Look, once the first team traded players (in whatever sport it was) back in the day all players became assets.  Once money got invoved and you weren't just playing for the pride of yourselves and your city all players became assets.  Once GM's jobs were constantly on the line trying to please belligerent and largely ignorant fan bases that have but one warped view of what success means all players became assets.

The players know it.  They've been saying it since I can remember.  "It's a business".  That's the sound of their inner child dying a little.  That grim realization that you're not "just playing" anymore.  Surely, no one likes that aspect of being a pro athlete.

It's still their choice.  No one is holding a gun to their heads.  If they don't like doing business with the big boys they need to find another vocation.  Our own government sees humans as nothing more than numbers.  As an NBA player, you have to understand that it is the nature of the business you are in.  Unless you are in that elite tier of players, you are a cog in the machine and are subject to the whims of your coach and GM.

Saying that Morey is a culprit for doing what every other single GM does is very myopic.  Stop yourselves before telling me about the beautiful, utopian Spurs.  Really, RC Buford and Popovich don't play the game?  Oh, I see....George Hill might disagree with you.  So would Sean Elliot (who was traded by Pop for one Dennis Rodman), Bob Hill (the coach who was fired and replaced by Pop), Brent Barry, Malik Rose, Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas, Fabricio Oberto, Richard Jefferson, or the entire squad that tanked their way to the Tim Duncan draft pick.  All of this and more was done under Pop's watch.  "Assets".

Sorry, I'm not directing this rant at you, or anyone in particular.  I just keep reading it over and over and over.  People, this is the deal.  Stop coddling grown men while vilifying another for doing his job.

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 3,725 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

I hope so man.  Having an active, energetic bench would go a long way toward making the season more fun.  Better than watching a mopey Asik anchor the D and an erratic Lin lead the O of the second unit at least.  

We need a rim protector that plays 10-15 mpg and a veteran playmaking PG still.  It'll be interesting to see what Morey is able to do with the money that he has left.  

Willk has mentioned Jermaine O'Neal....I think I'm on board with that signing.  He did good work for GSW last year.

#18 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Apparently Capella is coming over after all. I wouldn't be opposed to making Dmo full time backup C and letting Jones/Capella man pf.

#19 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,798 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Apparently Capella is coming over after all. I wouldn't be opposed to making Dmo full time backup C and letting Jones/Capella man pf.

That's what Jonathan Feigen has reported, that Capella is going to be signed by the Rockets. He may end up in the D-League for a good part of the season, but I am fine with bringing him over. If nothing else, he could become a valuable trade piece or, if he blossoms very quickly, a key rotation player for the Rockets. I look forward to seeing how he does in pre-season, etc. then will have a better feel for him then.

#20 kdo

kdo

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 25 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Despite my...discomfort...with this off-season, I too will embrace the void.

In hindsight, we have more cap space, hence be more proactive or (flexibly) reactive whenever opportunities present themselves.

But Howard isn't getting any younger and that point pisses me off the most <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users