Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 10:25 PM) On my Ariza defense - not in a manner that I think he would succeed in slowing someone down but spot duty - just a crazy thought in my head for the day
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) @bladad the Rockets could have kept him on for one more year at his rookie contract so technically yes they did
@  bladad : (15 July 2014 - 06:46 PM) @ Yaoman He's a RFA, the rockets aren't letting him out of his rookie contract...
@  bladad : (15 July 2014 - 06:45 PM) @yaoman don't think he's going to succeed. He's not the super physical type of defender that can move him off his spot. That length is his best attribute on defense.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 July 2014 - 06:34 PM) @yaoman, I think so
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 06:27 PM) Am I the only person crazy enough to think that Ariza might see time defending a LMA type player?
@  slick shoes : (15 July 2014 - 06:04 PM) Ezekiel 25:17....
@  dbd : (15 July 2014 - 05:56 PM) Well, I miss Jeremy Lin now, he would say "Don't worry, God has a perfect plan for us".
@  feelingsuper... : (15 July 2014 - 05:43 PM) I believe Morey said in the last Euroleague championship Dorsey earned top defensive accolades per Feigen.
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 05:36 PM) Adrien can rebound when given the playing time - not familiar with much else of his game
@  txtdo1411 : (15 July 2014 - 05:27 PM) I really like Jeff Adrien.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 July 2014 - 05:23 PM) Nice, we are signing Jeff Adrien as well
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 05:04 PM) Dorsey is more of a 6'8" PF who is a bruiser and can grab a few rebounds when he plays...Not sure he has developed any of his skill sets to be of real contribution...
@  dbd : (15 July 2014 - 04:48 PM) Thanks for reply. You made me nervous and more skeptical. 6'8" center?
@  txtdo1411 : (15 July 2014 - 04:34 PM) Scratch that... 6'8
@  txtdo1411 : (15 July 2014 - 04:33 PM) haha I am for real. He was on our team back in 09 or so. Didn't really play much. He was with Toronto for a while and then went to Fc barcelona. He is a 6'9 pf/center. Morey loves those guys for some reason.
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 04:32 PM) @ bladad - I get all of that but 46 mil for 3 years because the Rockets letting him out of his rookie contract is nothing to be offended at. He could have been making 900k this season...
@  dbd : (15 July 2014 - 04:26 PM) @txtdo1411 Are you joking or real? Never heard of the name Joey Dorsey
@  slick shoes : (15 July 2014 - 04:18 PM) I kind of get the feeling that we are signing trade chips as of late...
@  txtdo1411 : (15 July 2014 - 04:12 PM) So we added Joey Dorsey on a 2 year contract... not really sure how I feel about that.

Photo

My worst nightmare realized: Trevor Ariza returns to the Houston Rockets

147 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

New post: My worst nightmare realized: Trevor Ariza returns to the Houston Rockets
    By: rahat huq

The title is for grins, a running shtick with my loyal followers on Twitter who so kindly checked on my wellbeing upon news of this acquisition.  This was a very good signing.  Make no mistake about that.  If viewed from the prism of Bosh, it is difficult not to be incredibly underwhelmed.  In relation to the team's master-plan, coming away with Trevor Ariza instead of Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh, can only be described as a total disappointment.  I can assure you Daryl Morey and friends will not be going out for drinks upon completion of this deal.  But in vacuo of those considerations--as difficult it is to distance oneself from prior expectations--this was a good signing, especially at this cost.

When I first saw the news, I was firmly anticipating the numbers to come in at above $11 million per annum.  Trevor Ariza at 8 is very good value, undoubtedly better value than the money the team will be paying Chandler Parsons once they match his offer sheet later today.  Ariza hit 41% on 3's last season, the highest mark of his career, chipping in a shade over 14 points per game.  He instantly becomes the team's best shooter and arrives as its sole competent wing defender.  If they match on Parsons, the Rockets today are a better team than the one that closed out the regular season.  (I'm not going to go so far as to say they are better than the playoff version because Asik played a significant role in the playoffs, unlike the regular season, and it remains to be seen if added wing depth holds a greater impact than depth on the frontline).

I learned a lot about basketball from Trevor Ariza.  He was the first player whose game I ever closely looked into; he was the most frustrating player I've ever seen in a Houston Rockets uniform.  Watching him play made me understand the nature of ball-handling and 'creating' in the NBA, propositions which were only reaffirmed these past few years during my observations of Jeremy Lin.  Ariza has a functional, aesthetically above-par handle, and plus-level athleticism/quickness.  Upon his initial signing, fans with whom I interacted in those days (this was right before the launch of Red94)(and even the team's broadcasters), immediately assumed Ariza could be the new torch-bearer, sort of a McGrady-lite.  The thinking went that if you can kind of dribble and you can blow by your man, you were a "creator." These assumptions were categorically false.

A lot like Jeremy Lin, Ariza would blow past his initial defender but never know what to do against the second line of defense*.  He'd get caught in the lane, picking up his dribble and having to toss it back out to save the play.  You can't just always drive in.  This point was reaffirmed by the return of Tracy McGrady, as I wrote extensively, even as a complete shell of his former self.  Go to your local gym and watch a pickup game between amateurs.  Want to know the difference between the very best and guys that are just good?  By and large, most guys with quickness and a competent handle get tunnel vision when driving the lane.  They're just going straight in without a plan - their entire objective is to get past their own man.  The elite--the McGrady's, the Paul's--are playing chess.  They're not just trying to blow by and get to the basket.  They're thinking about the second defender, so they're slowing down their dribble, attacking at different speeds, squeezing off midrange shots, anticipating the help.  I think the most important skill for a perimeter player is to be able to attack at different speeds.

Due to the presence of James Harden, Ariza won't be given the opportunity to waste the team's possessions this time around.  He'll spot up from '3', where hopefully his touch from last year will be retained, he'll play defense, and he'll run the floors.  Again, at $8million, this is a good deal.

The team has other avenues to improve and some other options which they are still exploring.  While the last few days' chain of events no doubt comes as a disappointment, this signing in and of itself was a good one, and it helps the team.  We'll see what else they are able to do.

#2 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Dude, it totally sucks for having to sing Trevor Ariza's positives at this point instead of Chris Bosh's.

It is what it is.

Still, Morey absolutely made the right play not knowing for certain which free agents would actually hit the market when they did. Bosh was so obvious the perfect missing piece for this roster.

Anyway, that was then, this is now.

The Rockets, in my opinion, still have to find a way to get a difference maker Stretch 4.

Parsons (assuming he is re-signed which I do believe the Rockets will match) and Ariza are much too undersized for some of the Playoff quality teams in the West.

I expect this to be a continuing process after Bosh chose to sell out rather than chase rings.

I can't totally blame him for that, but jeez, how much money do you really need to be happy?

A couple more rings don't matter, really? Bosh, you are now clearly just a Golden Girl.............

Anyway, back to what is more important........the Rockets must still find ways to improve over last season's roster as the D12/Harden tandem is clearly on the clock.

Edited by rocketrick, 13 July 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#3 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 171 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Rahat--it seems that you have not only come to terms with Ariza--as a roleplayer, not as the primary creator--but you also seem a bit more positive about the whole "improving the bench" idea as a way of moving forward.  Granted, we'd all rather have Bosh or Anthony, but it is nice to have a legitimate "three and D" guy off the bench.  I think we are a 56-57 win team now, which is pretty close to becoming a real contender.

And Ariza is a way of improving the team while still maintaining flexibility, in that Ariza will be a desired commodity on that contract.    If Love is still available in December, the Rox can put forward a deal focused on Jones, Ariza, and the NO pick, which is maybe the best Minn. will be able to do.

#4 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Rahat--it seems that you have not only come to terms with Ariza--as a roleplayer, not as the primary creator--but you also seem a bit more positive about the whole "improving the bench" idea as a way of moving forward.  Granted, we'd all rather have Bosh or Anthony, but it is nice to have a legitimate "three and D" guy off the bench.  I think we are a 56-57 win team now, which is pretty close to becoming a real contender.

And Ariza is a way of improving the team while still maintaining flexibility, in that Ariza will be a desired commodity on that contract.    If Love is still available in December, the Rox can put forward a deal focused on Jones, Ariza, and the NO pick, which is maybe the best Minn. will be able to do.

And the Rockets will clearly have Kevin Love on our team for just a few months.

Kevin Love is going to be a Cleveland Cavalier one way or the other next season and nobody, not even the LA Lakers, Boston Celtics, NY Knicks, or the NBA commissioner can prevent that.

It is what it is.......

So why should the Rockets waste assets for someone that clearly isn't going to be here?

#5 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 171 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

I haven't followed the Cav's situation closely, but, as we know from hard experience this last week, signing a third max contract is not an easy prospect, especially if the Cavs' won't give up Wiggins.  And if we land Love mid-season, we'll have his Bird rights and the ability to offer more money over five years.   

#6 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

I haven't followed the Cav's situation closely, but, as we know from hard experience this last week, signing a third max contract is not an easy prospect, especially if the Cavs' won't give up Wiggins.  And if we land Love mid-season, we'll have his Bird rights and the ability to offer more money over five years.

Oh my God, I would absolutely kill to have Kevin Love on this roster! Are you kidding me!

However, reality sits in. Bosh just spurned us and we ended up with Ariza and some other pieces to be named later.

If the Rockets go after Love, it will require ALL of our key assets other than D12 and Harden.

And when Love spurns us, as I am quite certain he will when he joins Lebron and the Cavaliers, the Rockets will simply be held high and dry with absolutely no further ammunition while the D12 and Harden tandem withers away..........

Edited by rocketrick, 13 July 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#7 Steven

Steven

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

@Rahat
                It could be worse. It could be Luther Head.

#8 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,049 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

@Rahat
                It could be worse. It could be Luther Head.

Or Brad Miller back from the rocking chair!

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#9 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,277 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

Looks like we're not matching parsons.

Why so Serious? :D

#10 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,049 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

I think it will be fine. I am glad they aren't sacrificing flexibility for Chandler Parsons who wouldn't be much more than an overpaid placeholder.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#11 kdo

kdo

• Members
                • Pip
                • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

So let's summarize:

We lost Parsons, Lin, Asik, and 1st & 2nd round picks...didn't get Bosh, Melo, or Lowry

Added only Trevor Ariza.

You guys really think he's a better defender than Parsons? Look up Parsons defensive rating on his first and second year. It only dropped because he was covering for Harden.

If Harden doesn't improve on his defenses, Ariza will succumb to the same issues...

...no net improvement whatsoever.

Edit: $100 says Parsons will improve his defense rating significantly in Dallas.

Edit 2: $500 says Asik and Lin will improve their numbers significantly as well. There is something about the negative dynamics in Houston...personally, I'm leaning towards the coach and Harden.

I feel really really bad for Howard.

Edited by kdo, 13 July 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#12 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,277 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

The offseason isn't over yet. Let's hope there's more planned.

#13 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

And the Rockets will clearly have Kevin Love on our team for just a few months.

Kevin Love is going to be a Cleveland Cavalier one way or the other next season and nobody, not even the LA Lakers, Boston Celtics, NY Knicks, or the NBA commissioner can prevent that.

It is what it is.......

So why should the Rockets waste assets for someone that clearly isn't going to be here?

You do realize that kyries max kicks in next year, meaning if they don't trade wiggins by the deadline, there would be no way in hell for the cavs to get kyrie, love, and lebron.

#14 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Well unless our young bloods improve a lot, we'll be lucky to break even. Eh. If the harden Howard era is a dud, the rockets can tread water for 2 years for KD in 2016.

#15 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,132 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

Losing parsons hurts and while it was an overpay Im not sure how we get a player of his caliber this offseason. I think the flexibility in this case is overrated because its not like someone wouldn't take parsons for free in a trade if we needed to shed cap.

Parsons d rating suffered because he stopped trying, he wasn't coving for anyone. Silly to say Ariza will have the same problem without him even donning a jersey yet.

Asik and lins numbers will go up but only because of more minutes. Howard is a much better center than Asik and Harden a much better lead guard than Lin they both wanted to be starters and will on other teams. Not much could be done to salvage that situation.

That said need something big through trade or rest of the cap space cleared, Ariza barely covers parsons production and we have minimal depth across the board.

#16 kdo

kdo

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

You do realize that kyries max kicks in next year, meaning if they don't trade wiggins by the deadline, there would be no way in hell for the cavs to get kyrie, love, and lebron.

If a player, especially a star player, wants to go somewhere...they'll get there. This is a player's league.

Losing parsons hurts and while it was an overpay Im not sure how we get a player of his caliber this offseason. I think the flexibility in this case is overrated because its not like someone wouldn't take parsons for free in a trade if we needed to shed cap.

Parsons d rating suffered because he stopped trying, he wasn't coving for anyone. Silly to say Ariza will have the same problem without him even donning a jersey yet.

Asik and lins numbers will go up but only because of more minutes. Howard is a much better center than Asik and Harden a much better lead guard than Lin they both wanted to be starters and will on other teams. Not much could be done to salvage that situation.

That said need something big through trade or rest of the cap space cleared, Ariza barely covers parsons production and we have minimal depth across the board.

Ever wonder why Parsons stopped trying? Because no matter how much effort you put in, if opposing teams cut through the gap that Harden creates...over and over and over again...really, anyone would be frustrated, and would simply focus on offense.

Ariza is going to feel the same thing, maybe not the first year because the initial motivation and excitement is there when joining a new team...but undoubtedly, he'll succumb to the same gaps Harden generates, IF Harden doesn't imrpove, which I really really hope he does.

Edited by kdo, 13 July 2014 - 11:41 PM.

#17 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,132 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Varajoe expires, if they could dump bennet on someone and renounce Thompson they would be close to having enough space.

#18 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • 2,277 posts
                            • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

Are you a glue guy if you say you're a glue guy?

Mark Berman: Pat Beverley: "I spoke to (Chandler) that day he signed the offer sheet with Dallas. He was hyped. I spoke to him at 5:30 this morning (in Taiwan) and he told me they are not going to match. Of course it's tough. I'm human. Chandler is like a brother to me. Me and Chandler were like the glue that kept it together. It's time 4me to step up 2the plate, provide more offensively and defensively to help our team. I'm confident. I think Dwight's confident. I think James is confident that we'll get some key pieces and try to make a run at this" Twitter - See more at: http://hoopshype.com...h.bAfcm7Uh.dpuf

#19 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                            • 1,461 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

I got to admit this probably hurts Beverley the most. People don't really acknowledge this much, but Lin, parsons, and Beverley were best friends and losing both of them in a couple days.

#20 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                              • 2,277 posts
                              • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

Hopefully Bev can take a massive step forward as a playmaker. Hardens the only one we have left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users