Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 10:25 PM) On my Ariza defense - not in a manner that I think he would succeed in slowing someone down but spot duty - just a crazy thought in my head for the day
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) @bladad the Rockets could have kept him on for one more year at his rookie contract so technically yes they did
@  bladad : (15 July 2014 - 06:46 PM) @ Yaoman He's a RFA, the rockets aren't letting him out of his rookie contract...
@  bladad : (15 July 2014 - 06:45 PM) @yaoman don't think he's going to succeed. He's not the super physical type of defender that can move him off his spot. That length is his best attribute on defense.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 July 2014 - 06:34 PM) @yaoman, I think so
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 06:27 PM) Am I the only person crazy enough to think that Ariza might see time defending a LMA type player?
@  slick shoes : (15 July 2014 - 06:04 PM) Ezekiel 25:17....
@  dbd : (15 July 2014 - 05:56 PM) Well, I miss Jeremy Lin now, he would say "Don't worry, God has a perfect plan for us".
@  feelingsuper... : (15 July 2014 - 05:43 PM) I believe Morey said in the last Euroleague championship Dorsey earned top defensive accolades per Feigen.
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 05:36 PM) Adrien can rebound when given the playing time - not familiar with much else of his game
@  txtdo1411 : (15 July 2014 - 05:27 PM) I really like Jeff Adrien.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 July 2014 - 05:23 PM) Nice, we are signing Jeff Adrien as well
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 05:04 PM) Dorsey is more of a 6'8" PF who is a bruiser and can grab a few rebounds when he plays...Not sure he has developed any of his skill sets to be of real contribution...
@  dbd : (15 July 2014 - 04:48 PM) Thanks for reply. You made me nervous and more skeptical. 6'8" center?
@  txtdo1411 : (15 July 2014 - 04:34 PM) Scratch that... 6'8
@  txtdo1411 : (15 July 2014 - 04:33 PM) haha I am for real. He was on our team back in 09 or so. Didn't really play much. He was with Toronto for a while and then went to Fc barcelona. He is a 6'9 pf/center. Morey loves those guys for some reason.
@  YaoMan : (15 July 2014 - 04:32 PM) @ bladad - I get all of that but 46 mil for 3 years because the Rockets letting him out of his rookie contract is nothing to be offended at. He could have been making 900k this season...
@  dbd : (15 July 2014 - 04:26 PM) @txtdo1411 Are you joking or real? Never heard of the name Joey Dorsey
@  slick shoes : (15 July 2014 - 04:18 PM) I kind of get the feeling that we are signing trade chips as of late...
@  txtdo1411 : (15 July 2014 - 04:12 PM) So we added Joey Dorsey on a 2 year contract... not really sure how I feel about that.

Photo

Feelings on Ariza?

21 replies to this topic

#1 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

I'm torn - a few years ago, Ariza was Morey's biggest free agency mistake that he got to wipe out in a trade. Now he's coming back.

Of course, circumstances are completely different. When we signed him before, we were taking a flier on a wing that may develop into a star player. Now we have stars and he's definitely a complimentary guy. He's also improved as a 3 point shooter and understands his role better. I also think his contract is very reasonable (and tradeable). 

I think even if we do match on Parsons, we can masquerade Parsons as a stretch 4 against most teams and Ariza can guard the best wing on the opposing team. 

I think this signing makes us better next year if we do match on Parsons. If we don't, then Morey has some work to do yet. In either case, we need to sign a big body to replace Asik, and if we're not comfortable with Canaan as the backup PG, then we need a PG as well. 

#2 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
    • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:46 AM

I think we still need some work.  I don't mind giving Canaan a chance to be the back up PG, but I'd feel more comfortable if we had a veteran PG to throw in just in case, someone like Boykins/Douglas(one that doesn't require nightly minutes, but could give them if needed).  As far as a back up 5, there is no choice but to find one.  

#3 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 101 posts
      • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

I see it as the best choice for the Rockets after failed to get Melo or Bosh. We talked a lot last season about the 3 and D wing for the Rockets and now we sign Ariza to 4 years, $32 millions deal, IMO it is a steal.

If we gonna match Parsons, is there any chance for us to get Shawn Marion from the Mavs? I'd love to see Cuban enjoying his new elite PG in Raymond Pelton without any good supporting casts around him, lol.

I think Canaan is not ready to be a backup PG in a contending team and Nick Johnson is a rookie. I prefer to see a veteran to be PBev's backup.

PBev/veteran PG
      Harden/Ariza
      Ariza/Parsons
      Marion/Parsons/Jones
      Howard/backup C

#4 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,049 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I'm okay with Ariza. I can't really judge it till they roll the ball out on the court. I like what you're thinking Dayak. How about bringing Brooks back as the back up point guard?

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#5 Steven

Steven

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

I say give Canaan a chance to sink or swim. Can always find a veteran PG at the deadline, or after the buyouts occur.

#6 datruth

datruth

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 144 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

I like the choice of bringing brooks back as the back up point guard.

#7 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 101 posts
          • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

Brooks is not a bad choice and he doesn't need a lot time to blend with the team. His handle and 3p shooting are much better than Lin.

#8 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
          • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

If we get Brooks back I'd be thrilled...til the deadline when we trade him again, lol.

#9 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,049 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

At this early stage I wouldn't mind a platoon of Beverley, Canaan and Brooks and when Beverley gets injured bring up Johnson from the Vipers squad. I'm sure whatever Morey does it will be a cost effective position for the team which will be very needed if they match Parsons.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#10 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
            • Pip
            • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

Good value pickup, and he's a nice guy to have to that could allow us to play around with lineup (if McHale can handle it, and I still have faith). And he's grown since he last donned the red and white...

Sure hope he wasn't picked up as a 'Parsons replacement' though... I don't get the people who are saying "Perfect! We've got Ariza, now we don't have to match on Parsons!" Ariza is a solid pickup for depth and lineup flexibility. But without Parsons, both that depth and lineup flexibility lose their relevance.

Also, first post!

Also, Boozer? Is he too far on the down slope? Or could he be a nice 1/2 yr rotation guy? I'm leaning towards the latter...

#11 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 350 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:41 AM

its ok. can play some small ball with parsons at 4 for 5-10 minutes. im actually surprised ariza took that contract. everyone is getting overpaid and he gets an exact value contract on a degrading scale. maybe it was the 4 years and other teams would only offer 2-3? i dunno. it's definitely a tradeable contract. i could see some sort of ariza/parsons + dmo/jones+ 1st round pick option in the future (depending on circumstances).

just need a vet big and pg on minimum. okafor or anderson. okafor wont get a min, but if you can get him it would be nice.

i dont really mind having johnson + viper team getting bench minutes. i like seeing an organization developing talent and then trusting them. im sick of trying to sign major free agents. too much risk. i know rahat (and others) keep saying the spurs are an anomaly, but i dont see it that way. an organization needs to look at the big picture(5-10 years down the road), create a system, and develop the right players

(through the draft or 2-5 million dollar contract guys) to fit into that system. there are lots of great attributes the rockets could adapt and make their own.

#12 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,132 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

I think the ariza deal is fair. Still should match parsons. Is Jameer Nelson still availible? He'd be a solid backup pg. If not brooks could work.

#13 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

I think the ariza deal is fair. Still should match parsons. Is Jameer Nelson still availible? He'd be a solid backup pg. If not brooks could work.

Yeah, I agree the Ariza deal is fair. Considering all the crazy money being thrown around this summer!

Definitely, the Rockets should match Parsons even though he will be grossly overpaid. Just not anyone else out there the Rockets can get that fits better with this team and also because of the fact the Rockets have Parsons Bird Rights so they can go over the cap to bring him back. I would expect one of Ariza or Parsons to eventually be traded.

Parsons can be traded as soon as Dec 15 this season but the problem is he has the option to veto any and all trades for 1 year from the date of the contract. So unlikely that Parsons will agree to any trade, thus removing him from trade talks for 1 year for certain. The 15% trade kicker is also built into his contract. However, by next season that penalty drops to $4.5 million, I believe, as that would be the amount remaining on his contract at that time. Plus I think that is not a big deal in Leslie Alexander's eyes. Hopefully Parsons will really step up this season and earn at least a decent portion of his contract and remain a Rocket for the long term. Who knows, maybe after the 2015-16 season he would consider reworking his contract for a longer term extension for a yearly amount that is more in line with what his true value is at that time and give the Rockets some cap space relief.

Brooks? For sure I would also be fine with bringing Brooks back. I just would be pretty surprised if he would be willing to come back a 3rd time after being traded away twice previously. What is the record for the same team trading away a player during his career? I just don't ever recall a single player in the NBA being traded away by the same team 3 times during that player's career!

So, assuming Parsons offer sheet is matched, everyone pretty much is in agreement that the Rockets next moves will be to find an experienced backup PG that can take over the reins should Beverley suffer another injury this season and obviously a solid backup C for D12.

All in all, not a great summer. Still, the Rockets could end up with keeping Parsons for the next few years and not have to be concerned about Parsons unrestricted free agency next summer. Getting a lottery pick for Asik is pretty awesome and will certainly be an important trade chip down the road. Ariza certainly isn't Bosh or Carmelo but is a decent consolation prize that fits in with the Rockets need for solid outside shooting and a wing defender.

Morey just needs to tie up some of the loose ends and I can't wait until October!

Wait? Was there someone else the Rockets traded this summer? I forgot, who was that? Probably someone insignificant......

#14 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 85 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Having a veteran PG like Brooks is a great idea. I love him but he is a better shooter than a distributor.

While Harden is out, we need somebody to step up and manage the game. Bev can't do that job. Per last year play, Cannon isn't better either.

Something to think about. Remember Chalmers, he can shoot but couldn't distribute to ease burden on LBJ.

Bev/Cannon/Brooks is not a rotation for a contending team. You can even say that that is a downgrade from Bev/Lin.

#15 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Having a veteran PG like Brooks is a great idea. I love him but he is a better shooter than a distributor.
                        While Harden is out, we need somebody to step up and manage the game. Bev can't do that job. Per last year play, Cannon isn't better either.

Something to think about. Remember Chalmers, he can shoot but couldn't distribute to ease burden on LBJ.

Bev/Cannon/Brooks is not a rotation for a contending team. You can even say that that is a downgrade from Bev/Lin.

Summer 2014 hasn't turned out quite the way Morey and die-hard Rockets fans were hoping. For about 5 hours, the Rockets had the best starting lineup in the basketball universe. Then Bosh sold out and took the money and decided to be a loser for the rest of his career. I can't blame him, he has 2 rings (thanks to LeBron James, Ray Allen and Dwayne Wade) and lots of moola for the rest of his lifetime. I think the males in Miami are really happy that Bosh is staying because, Dude, his wife is hot!! Nothing like South Beach and hot women in summertime!

Still, as a hardcore NBA fan since the 1960's, I would much rather have Ariza on this roster than Lin.

Getting a lottery pick for Asik is genius. Asik pouted most of the season but to his credit did give quality effort in the playoffs. A stretch 4 Asik will never become. And Asik is not going to surpass D12 in the Rockets lineup in this decade, well at least for the next 4-5 seasons which seems like a century in NBA time.

Beverley is not the perfect PG. The Rockets still have work to do there. But Lin simply was not a good fit for the Rockets once Harden and D12 were signed. At the time Lin was signed, neither possibility seemed solid at all. Good luck to Lin and his career. He is a high character, hard working person. I just don't like the LOF's that have absolutely no clue how it works in the greatest league in the universe.

Morey, after matching for Parsons and just signing Lin's replacement yesterday (Ariza), still has plenty of cap room to find a solid backup PG and a solid backup for D12. And other role players that can accept their role on this team and be solid teammates that can be trusted and counted on.

In Morey I trust!

#16 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 122 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

I think Ariza will surprise you.  He's gotten much better.  He has improved his 3-pt shooting dramatically, and he is one of those handful of players that suddenly learned how to shoot free throws.  He's an 80% guy now.  He's not a 4 though; if anything, he's Chandler Parsons' replacement at SF.

#17 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I think Ariza will surprise you.  He's gotten much better.  He has improved his 3-pt shooting dramatically, and he is one of those handful of players that suddenly learned how to shoot free throws.  He's an 80% guy now.  He's not a 4 though; if anything, he's Chandler Parsons' replacement at SF.

I agree. The Rockets first preference was for a stretch four with the roster that has been built by Morey.

When Bosh sold out, the next best move at this moment was Ariza. We may regret it, it may work out fine, who knows for certain. For sure Ariza is a better fit with this roster than Lin.

Parsons can handle some stretch 4 assignments with Ariza on the floor. Certainly won't be happening when the Rockets are matched up with the Clippers, Grizzlies or Blazers. Just have to either find someone soon that can make a difference or simply try to avoid matching up with those teams in the upcoming playoffs until another opportunity arrives that results in the Stretch 4 that this roster is screaming for.

#18 majik19

majik19

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 105 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Parsons can handle some stretch 4 assignments with Ariza on the floor. Certainly won't be happening when the Rockets are matched up with the Clippers, Grizzlies or Blazers. Just have to either find someone soon that can make a difference or simply try to avoid matching up with those teams in the upcoming playoffs until another opportunity arrives that results in the Stretch 4 that this roster is screaming for.

However, do try to remember that if Parsons did play stretch 4, we're requiring those guys to guard him on the other end, which a) forces them to run around a lot more and B) pulls them away from the basket. Not saying that we now win those matchups, but it may be a little more equal if Parsons can make them work on the other end. I remember reading some SportVU stats throughout the year that showed Parsons ran around a lot. 

#19 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPipPip
                              • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

However, do try to remember that if Parsons did play stretch 4, we're requiring those guys to guard him on the other end, which a) forces them to run around a lot more and B) pulls them away from the basket. Not saying that we now win those matchups, but it may be a little more equal if Parsons can make them work on the other end. I remember reading some SportVU stats throughout the year that showed Parsons ran around a lot.

Oh Yeah, Parsons runs circles around Zebo, Griffin, Aldridge, etc.

However, it would be extremely gruesome on the other end of the court.

What will the Rockets do these next few days to get a serviceable 4 to deal with those All-Star caliber players in the West at the 4?

It's not like there's multiple options right now. Very likely a work in progress is my best guess.

And second best guess, is somehow avoid any of those teams in the playoffs.

#20 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                • 2,277 posts
                                • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

I always thought Parsons shot at stardom would be to be a full time stretch 4. We will see if he can guard those guys.

Why so Serious? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users