Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Cooper : (19 May 2014 - 12:08 AM) wiggins and Parker are pretty much locked in at the 1-2 spots, embiid, exum, randle are interchangeable based on team needs.
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 11:51 PM) Also, you've got Wiggins, Parker and Embiid, there's almost no way he goes #1 or even #2
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 11:51 PM) Uhm, I don't know about Exum going #1, he was sold as a Westbrook-esque athlete, but his max vert was 34.5, not good for a player who'll make his living around the basket
@  Buckko : (18 May 2014 - 10:17 PM) Unless the lakers win the lottery rocketrick, exum wouldn't go below 4th and I wouldn't be shocked if he went #1.
@  Buckko : (18 May 2014 - 10:16 PM) That's why they kept mchale-LOVE
@  feelingsuper... : (18 May 2014 - 09:15 PM) Love also said he wants to play for a contender and the Lakers are years away from contending, especially with Jim Buss at the helm.
@  miketheodio : (18 May 2014 - 09:08 PM) sick of the officials. this ind vs mia isn't fun to watch.
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 08:26 PM) Because Love has said he wants to play for the Lakers, so we don't want Love to toy around for 1 year and leave on the next
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 08:25 PM) So, the only way the rockets should get Love is if they can work out a contract extension before trading for him, like they did with Harden
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 08:24 PM) Well, that could be an option for Love too, I actually think that if the lakers get the chance to pick Exum (by means of a high lottery pick) they will and they'll wait for next year to get Love as an UFA
@  feelingsuper... : (18 May 2014 - 07:36 PM) Wojnarowski is reporting that the Rockets will be aggressive in bringing Kevin Love to Houston by way of Kevin McHale's relationship with him. Goodbye Chandler Parsons.
@  rocketrick : (18 May 2014 - 03:55 PM) The Lakers should have a high Lottery pick in the upcoming Draft. Will find out Tuesday night how high their pick is.
@  jorgeaam : (18 May 2014 - 03:53 PM) Interesting, Minnesota can now trade him on draft day to the Lakers
@  rocketrick : (18 May 2014 - 03:52 PM) Kevin Love has told Minnesota he will NOT re-sign with them effectively making him an UFA next summer unless Minnesota trades him before then
@  08huangj : (15 May 2014 - 01:02 AM) No need to be so angry...
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:15 PM) Never said I want to trade them but have said that I don't like McHale and that he should get canned, but Harden needs to wake up, all other elite players even when young tries to play D, look at all the other top 10 players in the league, Curry is not the best defender but he is not that bad because he makes an effort, Lillard makes an effort and all other young stars, the only other one who doesn't give a chili con carne enchilada about D is Irving and look at how well the Cavs are doing. End of rant
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:13 PM) So stop being a gawl-darn-boo-boo face when you say that you have asked me that questions many times and many times in each post I have said that there are only 2 players in the league I swap Harden with and its KD and LBJ but I have higher expectations of a player of harden's caliber so maybe you are just happy with stagnation
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:11 PM) But when he calls Bev off on Lillard in the last play of game 6 you can't blame harden for making a horrendous call or his poor defensive game. End of discussion for me, I guess McHale and Harden are infallible and just let them keep doing what they are doing because its clearly working and improving, I haven't seen any gosh-darn-diddily-iddily changes from last season in effort on D from last year and I guess we should just let him keep learning slowly until our window runs out
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:08 PM) But you can bury anyone else on the team but never Harden. Example Lin boneheaded play in game 4 he was hung out and rightfully so, but when Harden doesn't do his part in the series and when his shots doesn't fall he doesn't contribute in D that's for me alarming that you can't bring it in the playoffs.
@  thenit : (14 May 2014 - 11:07 PM) I have in all my post never said we should trade either of them unless they want out themselves, but its sad that you can't critique the players that would impact our chances the most or the coach without being accused of not being a fan of the team

Photo

Adding insult to injury: the Spurs against the Blazers

77 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

New post: Adding insult to injury: the Spurs against the Blazers
    By: rahat huq

We've all been watching the massacre out West this past week as the San Antonio Spurs continue to make a team that thoroughly disposed of the Rockets look like a junior varsity squad.  And by now, most of you have seen some of the quotes and assessments.

fivethirtyeight.com noted upon the sharp disparity in contested shots for the Blazers between the two rounds.

Hardwood Paroxysm recently examined the Spurs' ability to key in on Damian Lillard.

And lastly, a quote from an opponent is worth a thousand video breakdowns.  First, from Wes Mathews: ""They move the ball, they share the ball," Blazers guard Wesley Matthews said, beginning innocently enough before diving into his checklist. "[The ball] is not going to stick in anybody's hands. Houston might have been a little easier to defend because you knew where they were going to go. This time, Marco [Belinelli] comes into the game, they run floppy action for him. They run a hammer action for Patty [Mills]. They run angle screens for [Manu] Ginobili, they run angle screens for [Tony] Parker. They've got so many weapons."

And lastly, Robin Lopez: ""With Houston, there wasn't any...not that much pressure on defense.  And offensively, they focused a lot more on isolation game, whereas San Antonio's swinging the ball."

There is much more out there, and surely more to come, but initially, the representative sample is a fairly damning indictment of the Rockets' strategy on both sides of the ball.  To be sure, the Spurs are the league standard for tactical combat, so one might label my comments an unfair comparison.  But what's chilling is the realization that for as good as the Spurs have looked this past week, they might still be inferior to both of the teams playing in the other West series (LAC and OKC).  The entire matter and the events of the past month have served as a depressing reminder of just how far away the Rockets truly are.

#2 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 139 posts
    • LocationIsrael

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

Fully agree, and bringing a third star isn't going to be enough.

#3 Journeymany

Journeymany

• Members
    • Pip
    • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

As someone was saying in the other topic, that's the kind of chemistry you get from players who have been together for years, have been really well coached through that time, and developed their games both individually and as a group.

That could happen here - the question is, do we have the core players and coach to do it? I'd say we're a lot closer on the players than the coach. Howard has been excellent. Harden will be fine if he would just make an effort on defense. I personally would be happier going with Parsons, Lin, Beverley and hoping for growth than hoping for a trade miracle, but I'm in the minority. All I'd say is that in his first season Parsons was considered a better defender than attacker, and he could do that again. Lin is wildly inconsistent between looking like an all-star and looking like he shouldn't be in the league, so I still don't know about him.

Though I do wonder, am I the only one who remembers the early days of Tony Parker? When he could get to the hoop but his passing wasn't pretty and his jumpshot was... well, you'd be pretty happy if he took lots of those. Also Pop used to pull him all the time for blowing assignments or making dumb plays.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 2,986 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

As someone was saying in the other topic, that's the kind of chemistry you get from players who have been together for years, have been really well coached through that time, and developed their games both individually and as a group.

That could happen here - the question is, do we have the core players and coach to do it? I'd say we're a lot closer on the players than the coach. Howard has been excellent. Harden will be fine if he would just make an effort on defense. I personally would be happier going with Parsons, Lin, Beverley and hoping for growth than hoping for a trade miracle, but I'm in the minority. All I'd say is that in his first season Parsons was considered a better defender than attacker, and he could do that again. Lin is wildly inconsistent between looking like an all-star and looking like he shouldn't be in the league, so I still don't know about him.

Though I do wonder, am I the only one who remembers the early days of Tony Parker? When he could get to the hoop but his passing wasn't pretty and his jumpshot was... well, you'd be pretty happy if he took lots of those. Also Pop used to pull him all the time for blowing assignments or making dumb plays.

No, you're not the only one who remembers :)  He wasn't even brought over straight away as they still had Avery Johnson and he wasn't ready--kept him in France for a bit.

It is unfortunate that the situation is what it is.  If it had been OKC or LAC destroying Portland we would be more forgiving, but it's San Antonio--the team we swept in the regular season (but not the same San Antonio from the regular season).

No matter how this series went this board was destined to hindsight and second-guessing and a self-damning of our players, coach, and system.  Portland wins...that should have been us.  SA wins....we would have beat them....(highly unlikely, after seeing them turn it up a notch).

Everyone gets it.  The fans do.  The media does.  The coaches do.  The players do.  The front office does.  The good news is only the first two are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I was going to just post the Morey exit interview, but then saw 3-4 other short articles from Feigen worth reading so I'll just post a link to his page: LINK.  Harden talks about his defense.  Morey's interview is good.  McHale.  Parsons.  They all seem to genuinely care and know what needs to be done--if they didn't then I'd be concerned.

#5 Journeymany

Journeymany

• Members
      • Pip
      • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

No, you're not the only one who remembers :)  He wasn't even brought over straight away as they still had Avery Johnson and he wasn't ready--kept him in France for a bit.

I think he didn't actually enter the draft till after a few years playing in France, and he went pretty low even then. I can genuinely see the players we have developing a great deal - my main question marks are quite specific ones over McHale as I have no problem with him in principle. That question is:

Can / Will McHale hold Harden accountable for bad play going forwards? And can he develop a system and style of play?

The first point is because McHale doesn't seem to have a problem hauling off Howard even - but Harden, no matter how bad his D, no matter how bad the shot he jacks up, seems to have a free pass. I don't buy that, and I don't think any good coach does. Phil Jackson had his conflicts with MJ. Popovich will haul anyone off (I remember Kerr and Claxton played more than Parker the deciding games of his first Finals). McHale lets Harden play when and how he wants, and that's not healthy.

The second point I discussed a bit in the other thread - but basically I think every team needs to have a plan, offensively and defensively. We actually have a plan offensively, but it doesn't seem to show up when the going gets tough. That comes from the coach. I think McHale *can* do it - the question is, does he have the guts and determination to impose it?

#6 Steven

Steven

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

@JG

Parker was brought over as an 18 year old. H just didn't start right away.

#7 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,508 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

@Rahat

totally agree. it's bad enough to hear the media jumping on our case, but to have Portland's players admitting the facts is disgusting. I could go on a coach bashing spree right here, but have made my feelings known already on that subject. McFail was so completely out coached by Stotts that I have totally lost confidence in his ability to do anything but FAIL. we are in a position where we must amass a talent level that even Kevin "Charlie Brown" McFail can't screw up :lol:  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 2,986 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

@JG

Parker was brought over as an 18 year old. H just didn't start right away.

Ah, so he did...maybe I'm thinking of someone else?

@RBF--"Good Grief" :lol:

@Journeymany--I just don't buy the notion that McHale is afraid of Harden, or lacks the guts to "hold him accountable" and all the other buzz phrases that keep getting tossed around.  McHale doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is afraid of anyone.  Add to that his stature, clout, and respect garnered over the last 30 years.  I just don't think he would sublimate himself to a guy who, essentially, has done nothing beyond a 6th man award and All-Star appearances.

What makes people assume that others are weak and feeble?  Let's get real here.  Of the two--Harden and McHale--who has actually demonstrated the weakest constitution up to now?

Yet, Harden dominates the entire team and front office with the power of his Sampson-like beard (that's why he won't cut it--not even for $1M)?  Please.  I think people are grasping at straws here.  McHale has maintained the entire time he has been here that he is preaching player accountability--to themselves.  He is not here to hold their hands--he's here to teach them how to be their own men.  Part of that is letting them fall down, get hurt, fail, and realize that they need each other to succeed.

It saddens me that so many view the world through a lens of presumed weakness.  McHale is simultaneously affable and aloof.  He has the relaxed confidence of a man with nothing to prove.  Never--not once--have I gotten the impression that he lacked the respect of his players, nor his peers.

I'm not talking about his play-calling/game management here (I agree they need some work).  Simply the notion that McHale is a neutered lap dog in a room full of stud doberman pinschers.  On the contrary, I'd say he is a great dane who doesn't notice yapping dogs trying to assert themselves as "alphas".

I know that nothing I say will sway the opinions of those who have McHale painted as an 8 year old simpleton trapped in a 6'10" body with a pimp-limp, but I question the perceptions of those who think he is such a weakling.  That narrative just doesn't make any sense.

RBF recently mentioned that he goes to other fan sites to feel better sometimes--seeing other fan bases be so irrational helps bring relativity to our own emotional reactions.  To this point, I was reading the comments section (I don't know why) beneath the Clips/Thunder post game and Durant was taking a beating.  (FYI Thunder fans, if you don't want him we'll take him off your hands.)  McHale suffers from this bias in this regard in my opinion.

My guess is some hack writer who might prefer certain players over others :rolleyes: started this diatribe and it has become true by virtue of sheer volume of noise--not reality.  Question his play-calling, his clock management, his rotations--that's fine.  I whole-heartedly disagree with the questioning of the man's character or backbone--I've never seen anything to indicate such a perception.  Just because he makes a decision people don't agree with doesn't make him a coward--quite the opposite by most definitions.

#9 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,089 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

Comparing Mchale as a coach to Durant as a player is apples and oranges. Unless you think he is a top 2 coach...

Why so Serious? :D

#10 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
          • 1,925 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Perfectly written johnnygold. I don't think I have ever seen so much whining, venting, complaining by Rockets fans as I have seen and heard these days which happens to be the best shape the Rockets have been in years. It's crazy and kind of depressing, the fans.

It's like Jeff Van Gundy said on the Lowe Post you can be one of those people that spends 90% of your time criticizing the 10% that's a problem with a player or you could enjoy the 90% of the good stuff the player does (paraphrased and in reference to Westbrook I believe.)

#11 Journeymany

Journeymany

• Members
          • Pip
          • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

@JG - I never suggested that McHale doesn't have the respect of the players, or lacks confidence in himself - what I'm wondering about the McHale / Harden dynamic is whether he's a bit too indulgent of Harden's foibles. I'd say your point about the great Dane amongst the yapping pups is a reasonable one, but in that also lies the problem - he doesn't notice things and he's a bit too laid back. When you combine that with someone like Harden, who's also very laid back, you get this laissez-faire attitude towards defence and self-improvement.

And again, I never said anything about his backbone or being a coward. But the fact is to be a rigorous coach, to impose discipline, that takes a lot of effort and a lot of time. Does he want to put that time and effort in enough? The guy lost his daughter last year. Is building a team up structurally and culturally top of his priority list, is that really what he wants to spend every waking hour on? That is the question about guts and determination. No-one would think less of him should he choose not to. Nor would it be a stain on his character. People can have character and still not be the right dog for a given fight.

#12 payplay2

payplay2

• Members
            • Pip
            • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Ball comes to a screeching halt when it gets to Harden.  He is both an offensive and defensive liability.  Need a coach that can keep Harden under control.

#13 McG

McG

• Members
              • Pip
              • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

I hope the Rockets (especially McHale and Harden) are watching and analyzing every single minute of this game.  While the Rockets (ironically) went 4-0 against the Spurs this season, the Spurs are putting on a master class on how to neutralize an opponent, something the Rockets simply could not figure out.  It's like the Rockets were playing a chess game where they only focused on their plan, and pretty much ignored everything the other person was doing.  Then they find themselves in a checkmate and they're like "but wait, I still have 5 moves to go!"  Meanwhile, it seems like the Spurs are grandmasters - playing a slower, more deliberate chess game.  Watching and analyzing every move, reading what the other guy is planning and picking the right counter-move and hurting them in the best way possible.  Like chess/basketball jujitsu.

Or, another way to put it: Pop plays chess, McHale plays solitaire.

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 2,986 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:35 PM

OK.  First, I'm not comparing McHale to Durant.  That would make no sense at all.  You're missing the point.  I was just pointing out that criticism is out of control on message boards and, like FSS said above, people are overly-focused on the negative.  I do not think he is a top 2 coach--I'm not delusional :lol:

Journeymany, I guess I misunderstood when you questioned McHale.  So many have questioned him on this I presumed your rhetoric was the same as theirs--my bad.  You think McHale doesn't notice things?  Too laid back?  His heart's not in it?  You're entitled to think, or question, that....but I will disagree.

People talk as if the Rockets don't hold practices, talk about things together, discuss strategy, or work on improving at all.  Well, what do you guys think they do?  Play H-O-R-S-E?  Go shopping at the Galleria?  Watch their Twitter feed?  I just find it strange that the foundations, or basis, for these assumptions come down to pretty disparaging, and depressing, ideas.

Les Alexander must be a dim-witted buffoon who is only in this to market his players to bolster his other endeavors while raking in all the TV money he can get.  He has no concern about winning or losing or how his employees are performing.  It is inherent in the idea that he condones all of this as everyone--EVERYONE--answers to him, the boss.  Given how unsuccessful he has been in life and business this makes sense. :unsure:

Morey has no idea what he's doing.  He doesn't know good defense from a hole in the ground and wouldn't even care to look for it or hire someone who could do it for him.  He figures scoring is more fun so we'll do as much of it as we can and let the other team do the same--It's what the fans want!  Also, he is too prideful/egotistical to listen to anyone with expertise in this field and treats this GM gig like a game of D&D.

McHale is not interested in coaching this team since he's not shouting at everyone for every mistake they make (except Lin, of course) and, in short, not being Popovich.  He "allows" Harden to not play up to whatever standard people have decided he should play to.  Clearly, he does not value defense and is content to sit and watch his guys run back and forth with no concern over what happens or what they do.

The players only like money, parties and fame.  They have no pride in their life's work.  They just like to score so they can pad their stats and get bigger contracts.  They only care about themselves and don't want to try and work as a team.

If this were true why would anyone participate in watching or rooting for such a sham of a team?  I know this seems over-the-top in response, and it's not entirely focused on just one poster--but so very, very many that insinuate these very things.  They don't say them outright, but if they are true there must be a basis for them to exist.

---------------

Morey has said that Alexander cares about two things: his granddaughter and winning.  Period.  It starts there.

Recently, Morey has mentioned that in his time here we have seen the 2nd round one time--and he is hungry for more...so much more.  He also said point blank that Howard and Harden are the right guys.  He has said that a third piece is needed--not wanted--needed.  He said this off-season would be spent reviewing the last season.  Meaning the front office would do its job--crunching numbers, evaluating players, the draft, and all that stuff.  Coaches would take those numbers, watch the film, evaluate player strengths and weakness--and work on it.  This includes tweaking the offense to do more of what works and less of what doesn't.  Players would take what the coaches bring them and work on it.

The players, of their own volition, seem intent on not suffering the same fate next season.  Howard and Harden are starting to be more vocal as leaders--talking about the accountability that everyone has clamored for all season.  Howard has taken the lead, Harden is falling in line behind him (don't think it is the other way around--Howard took control of this team in that Portland series) and is also talking about leadership and defense.  Parsons wants to be an all- star and, motives aside, is hell-bent on being an all-star on both ends of the court.  All of them are talking about the "same page" and getting their bodies right.  Lin's going to work hard--no one questions that.  Bev is going to work hard.  The young guys are too.

Morey has already begun the process--some call it scapegoating--I think it's funny that they are making moves to correct the things people gripe about...and those same people gripe about those moves.  Defense coach--out.  Conditioning coach--out.  They aren't sitting around patting themselves on the back, coddling anyone, and saying it's ok.

McHale constantly calls out his guys in the post-game for not doing the things they talk about--for not passing more, not trying hard enough, not being mentally ready, etc.  Some say that's his job.  I say, you can lead a horse to water....

I hear people say, "McHale needs to hold them accountable"....and when he does..."he shouldn't throw them under the bus"!  The guy can't win--I would ignore everyone too.  The only opinions that matter are a select few and none of us are in that group.

Is McHale's heart in it?  I don't know.  I think he would have walked away already if that were the case so my guess is yes, it is.

People, it's happening.  We're getting better.  We've got stars, role players, prospects, a top-flight GM, an owner who wants to win and is wiling to do what it takes to achieve that.  We've got cap space, draft picks, and Clutch too!

Am I worried that Harden doesn't play good enough defense, McHale isn't a good enough coach, or Dwight's only got a small window left?  Not even a little bit.  There's plenty of people doing that already :P

#15 Johnny33

Johnny33

• Members
                • Pip
                • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

I am no basketball genius.  I've never coached basketball at any level.  But it's pretty easy to see that when 4 guys are stationary and 1 guy is trying to go 1 on 4, that's a lot easier to defend than having those 4 guys moving, cutting, screening off the ball.

Defense is and should be the #1 concern for the Rockets, but #2 should be the half court offense.  There's a lot of talented guys on this team.  They're maybe not the best individual defenders, but they can make things happen on offense.  To turn them into a "take turns going ISO" team is just painful to watch.  The problem with telling players they need to move the ball, rather than just play the system they've been practicing all season (is there a system??) is this - guys forcing passes that become turnovers, guys passing up open shots to try to pass the ball to a guy in worse position, guys passing the ball with the shot clock about to expire, etc.. IMO when the Spurs struggle, they fall back on their system to get back on track.  When the Rockets struggle, they don't have that ability, and end up giving Harden the ball to make something happen.  They struggle more.  The other team goes on a longer run.

Execution is another story.  How many times have the Rockets given up points at the end of quarters, halves, games?  How many times have they scored with under 5 seconds left in a quarter, only to let the other team run back and score before the buzzer?  I've watched every game, and it's happened quite a few times.

In regards to the McHale - Harden dynamic, the Rockets will only go as far as Harden will take them.  McHale understands this, and has managed the team in this way.  Like it or not, the Rockets will sink or swim with Harden.  So regardless of whether or not Harden plays any D or dominates the ball, he will play.  McHale has the support of management because he buys into their plan.  Like a parent, you either coddle your kids or let them fall and skin their knee from time to time.

Heading into the offseason, I'm sorry to say it because I like these guys - but it might be time to part ways with Lin and Parsons.  Parsons will probably command a Batum-like salary, with which you can probably get Luol Deng instead.  With Lin, you can replace him with a guy like Jarrett Jack, who's more steady and consistent.  I'm sure this team wants to stick together and grow, but Dwight isn't getting any younger and probably on the tail end of his "prime".  The only question left would be PF and backup C if Asik forces a trade again.

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,508 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:01 AM

@JG

totally disagree.......McFail is a spineless jellyfish. tuff talk and tuff action are two different things. having raised 3 kids myself I've learned that whooping that ass then turning around and cuddling them defeats the purpose of whooping that ass :lol:  so I left the cuddling to my wife. it's my job to provide the framework that my family was raised in. sometimes that made me the bad cop, but I was willing to accept that to have the final product turn out the way I wanted. my wife fussed as much as I did, but she didn't garner the respect I did because my kids knew they could get away with a little more on mom than with dad. McFail may sound tuff, but sounding tuff and holding players accountable are completely different. A few years back I was a supervisor for a company called Telecheck. I was promoted to that position after a few years of being one of the minions. when I took over one of the biggest problems I had was making the other people under me understand that I would hold them accountable regardless of if they thought of me as a friend or not. I ended up firing 2 people I considered friends at the time in order get my point across. prior to this chain of events I can't tell you how many times I warned them and yet my words continued to fall on deaf ears until I took action. that's where McFail is. tuff talk and no action is like pissing into the wind.......bound to  get your shoes wet. I truly believe both Morey and Les want to win the championship. they simply have the wrong man driving the bus. I have said many times here that I don't care how many years McFail has been around basketball experience does not necessarily equate to being a good coach. he has many shortcomings and this is  just one of those. trying to get me to believe he is some kind of master teacher who is simply allowing his students to learn from their own failures is to far fetched. he is not providing the necessary framework for this team to prosper. simply telling them to play harder, move the ball because it's getting sticky is pissing into the wind. last but by no means least these press conferences you claim he is calling out the players in..... saying the ball got sticky, we didn't play hard enough, we weren't focused.......which name did he attach to his critical comments? trying to hold a player accountable while talking to a group is absurd. if I wanted to call out a player I need to say his name and his infraction and then discipline him if I don't see change. that's how you send a message to the team. has McFail ever done this....even behind closed doors? NO....you know how I know........because there is no change. the same infractions are being repeated. that means there is no fear of punishment.

I don't have a problem if you want to continue in your line of thought, but for those of us that don't see it that way I thought I would stress our point. we can debate till the cows come home, but I will not back away from what I think I see.    

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#17 PhillyCheese

PhillyCheese

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

The team is repeating the same mistakes game after game. The final Lillard shot was a failure of the D for not rotating - practically a carbon copy of the Blake killer three earlier in the year. Putting Parsons on a speedy guard has not worked, time and time again. Stubbornly expecting TJones to box out and defend the better PF without throwing in some wrinkles on the D is just insane when the other team's guy is dropping an easy 40. I agree with RBG that McHale has not called out Harden enough, individually for sticky ball-itis, and iso-ism, nor does he sit Parsons when he misses a defensive assignment - it shouldn't matter that he only has Casspi,Garcia and Hamilton to throw in there. He needs to set the example that no one can take plays off. He's enabled Parsons to take plays off, hence I think Parsons fell asleep thinking the game was won with 0.9 left and he was going the be the hero for scoring the last Houston basket.

#18 smeggysmeg

smeggysmeg

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

New post: Adding insult to injury: the Spurs against the Blazers
                      By: rahat huq

And lastly, a quote from an opponent is worth a thousand video breakdowns.  First, from Wes Mathews: ""They move the ball, they share the ball," Blazers guard Wesley Matthews said, beginning innocently enough before diving into his checklist. "[The ball] is not going to stick in anybody's hands. Houston might have been a little easier to defend because you knew where they were going to go. This time, Marco [Belinelli] comes into the game, they run floppy action for him. They run a hammer action for Patty [Mills]. They run angle screens for [Manu] Ginobili, they run angle screens for [Tony] Parker. They've got so many weapons."

And lastly, Robin Lopez: ""With Houston, there wasn't any...not that much pressure on defense.  And offensively, they focused a lot more on isolation game, whereas San Antonio's swinging the ball."

rockets fans will typically react by saying spurs suck and then also what are all these offensive actions that Matthews is talking about, is this some sort of other sport.....and the lopez quote well that will just get blamed on harden

nuance and detail in schemes, game plans and strategy again and again.... we have neither on either end of the court

talent is nice but coaching and the chess match-up aspect is completely missing from the rockets, how could it come to this...

the lowe post podcast with JVG was a great example about effort and execution first and then have other schemes, that you would have been trying and working on all season long..... and even the simmons comment (hate to agree with his made up beliefs) about the rockets looking like a rec team that don't practice and just rock up to play has some truth..... and then our illustrious data driven GM just says it comes down to a coin flip.... what fricken crap

it is embarrassing that we wasted the talent we have....

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 2,986 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

@RBF--I agree with a lot of what you say.  I'm not meaning to imply that he is a master teacher or anything--just that his methods may not be the same as the coaches he is often compared to.  I agree that the words lose meaning if there is no consequence.

I can't cite the post game interviews and I'm not about to sit through 82 of them to find out, but what memory I have McHale usually says, "we"--so you are right--he's not publicly pointing direct fingers, and if he does so in the locker room it isn't having much practical effect on the court.

I'm actually with you on this.  Where I think we part ways is I believe these things will take form in time (hopefully not too much time) and both teacher and pupil will learn and evolve together.  As someone who has endeavored to learn more than one skill--whether it be a sport, a trade, or whatever--I make it a point early on to go to my coach/teacher and ask them to be hard on me if I feel like they aren't pushing me enough.  I'm not comparing--just pointing out that it can be a two-way street.  It takes two and even if McHale were to do and say all the right things Harden may not have been ready for it--or vice versa.

Again, it's not that I don't see the issues.  I just don't see them as permanent or irreparable and I spread the blame around a bit more.

I presume that if a bunch of schmoes like us can see this stuff then a select few whose expertise is studying these things see it too--and probably lots more.  If our guys at the top were suspect (i.e. inept) I'd worry, but with Alexander and Morey I trust that these things are visible, acknowledged, and factored into the grand scheme.

I'm sure I have a bias or two involved in my view of McHale and the Rockets.  That's part of why I enjoy discussing it with others who see things differently.  I have to re-evaluate what I think and see.

I truly believe that next year's squad--with or without the addition of a top flight free agent--will come in with a focus and edge we haven't seen for some time.  I'm picturing energetic defense on the inside and out.  A better and deeper rotation.  I expect an advancement in our offensive schemes similar to the one that Miami had after their first year.  I'm expecting a leaner, meaner Harden.  I'm expecting Parsons to have added 10-15 pounds of muscle....and if we're lucky he'll add a little arc to that shot :lol:.  I'm looking for Dwight to form the missing part of that parent dynamic you mentioned earlier--yes, that means McHale is "Mom" and Dwight is "Dad"--and that's cool with me.  I mean, how intimidating would it be to have Dwight get in your face and give you an earful for not giving 100%?  I've got high hopes all around.  I know we've got lots of work to do and lots of ground to cover and I am optimistic that we'll do it.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 3,508 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:52 AM

@JG

I  wish I shared your optimism about our outlook, but I don't. we have real problems that won't be fixed with another year of maturation. I love players that are leaders in the locker room, but the loudest voice needs to be that of the coach. ultimately it's his responsibility to lead the team. he has to be the voice of authority. many think we lost an ingredient when Sampson move on to coach U of H. I didn't agree at first, but watching our defense collapse, I think I know what it was. he was the tuff ass. he was the one who wasn't afraid to call your name when you under performed. because he had limited power.....there was only so much he could do, but when he left we lost that element all together. it appears we are stuck with McFail for another year so IMO finding someone who can provide what Sampson did is as important as any player acquisition. McFail is nothing more than a glorified cheer leader. 

as for the team fundamental flaws are present as well. PG must be addressed. we must get rid of Lin and move Beverly to backup. we must have a player to sub Harden and Parsons. I like T-Jones and believe he can take another step next year, but we must at least improve the depth at the position.......D-Mo is losing my confidence in him. we must get rid of Asik and replace him with a player who is primarily a center but can swing to PF........aka Spencer Hawes type. that's just for beginners. we are talking about bringing in possibly another star and depending on who that is it will address some of these issues if we are successful. however Morey as a lot of work in front of him. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users